• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire

Got the range today with my birthday present to myself, ran 7 different rds through it. With Center X being the best so far. I couldn't seem to get a good sight picture today, it felt like the reticle was moving around inside the scope. But the results are in the pictures below.

1520103295619646328446.jpg15201033430631348339888.jpg15201033789902077621972.jpg1520103419038923828898.jpg

Reactions: goosed
I know that range. I wish more applications would open up to become a member.
Well it looks like your Avatar is one of the other Private/semi-private range about 15 min away :) You're on the 1K line, (guessing from the tiny image).. small world sometimes.

BTH they are running a ultra low key NRL22 semi monthly at Avenal ... I bought my son the RPR Rim but went nuts and now waiting for a Voodoo.. Hell, because the RPR is lighter I am sure I will actually shoot much worse with the high dollar full weight one.

Well it looks like your Avatar is one of the other Private/semi-private range about 15 min away :) You're on the 1K line, (guessing from the tiny image).. small world sometimes.

BTH they are running a ultra low key NRL22 semi monthly at Avenal ... I bought my son the RPR Rim but went nuts and now waiting for a Voodoo.. Hell, because the RPR is lighter I am sure I will actually shoot much worse with the high dollar full weight one.

Yes sir! The world is very small. 1 hour after I took that pic you could see the numbers.

Are they running both NRL22 classes or just the open class? I think the RPR is a great platform for whatever you plan to do with it. I bought it as a trainer personally. As you probably know that it is night and day between a factory and custom action, price wise too. I think the RPR with the right ammo could compete.

Side note... they were doing work to the 1k line that day. Probably looks a bit different now.

Yes sir! The world is very small. 1 hour after I took that pic you could see the numbers.

Are they running both NRL22 classes or just the open class? I think the RPR is a great platform for whatever you plan to do with it. I bought it as a trainer personally. As you probably know that it is night and day between a factory and custom action, price wise too. I think the RPR with the right ammo could compete.

Just Avenal. Both classes, it is just how or "if" you submit your score, but the match is the same. Like I mentioned, personally I am sure I will shoot the heavier 5x more expensive 22 worse, especially in any off hand stage.

Just Avenal. Both classes, it is just how or "if" you submit your score, but the match is the same. Like I mentioned, personally I am sure I will shoot the heavier 5x more expensive 22 worse, especially in any off hand stage.

Or you could shoot it better you just never know. That’s pretty cool to have both classes available at the match. Too bad they won’t allow a RPR or ca to be in the base class.

I picked one up today. I placed a SWFA 12X on it. I wanted to shoot some 50yd groups but the wind was whipping too hard. I played around at 25yd mostly. This thing feeds and ejects very well. I am very pleased with the ergonomics. The trigger is fine for what Im doing. Not one failure to feed or eject in 200 rounds.

2dahbb5.jpg

6e2329.jpg

16h9pgh.jpg

Reactions: rawhide101
Ran some Eley through it this weekend, Club, match and Subsonic, all shot over 1/2".

So far Federal gold medal ultra match and match are the clear winners

I decided to take the afternoon off to get out to do a little fire lapping on the RPR. I used the Wheeler kit and setup 3-coarse, 5-each of the medium and fine grit using CCI SV bullets. I would fire each set of rounds and then follow that with 2 regular untreated CCI SV rounds before doing a thorough cleaning and moving to the next type. I tried to use my LabRadar to get velocities before and after but I couldn't get it to pickup the rounds in the air so no information there.

I used Wolf Match Extra, SK Rifle Match and CCI SV as my test rounds shooting all 3 before and after. I also ran 10 rounds of each type of ammunition before shooting groups to condition the barrel. To date this rifle had 70 rounds through it. The results were as follows:

Before Fire lapping 5 round group size at 50 yards was:
Wolf Target Match- .63, 1.24, .39 Average- .75
SK Rifle Match- .76, .53, .52. Average- .60
CCI SV- .47, .61, .66 Average- .58

After Fire Lapping 5 round group size at 50 yards was:
Wolf Target Match- .85, .81, .29 Average- .65
SK Rifle Match- .41, .22, .34 Average- .32
CCI SV- .50, .69, .55 Average- .58

I tried to be very conservative in the process of fire lapping and shot less than half the number of treated rounds of what I read that other people have done. Overall there was an improvement in 2 of the 3 different types of ammunition. While the Wolf improved slightly the SK not only started out as the best but also improved the most by a large margin. The CCI SV stayed exactly the same but at slightly over 1moa and 1/2 the price of the others it may just become the preferred practice round for this rifle.

Overall I would say that the $35 cost of the lapping kit and 1 1/2 hour of time invested in the process was worth the effort. The bore was noticeably smoother when running patches during the cleaning. I saw very small flecks of metal on the patches which probably was what was left behind during the rifling process. As said previously I was very conservative and could repeat the process again although I think I'll wait a month or so and put some other rounds down the tube before making that decision. If I do lap it again I'll probably just use the medium and fine grits. The rifle is well built and a solid platform for a trainer. At around 1 moa it is functional for it's intended purpose and I believe that it will shoot even better in the near future. Next time out I'll stretch it out shooting groups to 200 yards. By then I'll be done with paper punching and put it to work for its intended purpose as a trainer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lesco Brandon
I can’t say I am that impressed with it. Maybe I need to give it more time, but it just feels cheap. (It is, I know)

So I picked up one last weekend and I took it apart last night to clean. The bore seemed to be very dirty out of the box? Maybe a oil type coating to prevent corrosion pre-sale? Anyone else notice this.

Reactions: Boxerglocker
So I picked up one last weekend and I took it apart last night to clean. The bore seemed to be very dirty out of the box? Maybe a oil type coating to prevent corrosion pre-sale? Anyone else notice this.
mine was filthy, gunk, grit and copper fouling.

I did a complete disassembly, cleaning and reassembly including removing the scope rail cleaning all the oil underneath and reinstalling and torquing using blue loctite. I also flushed the trigger group and bolt out with charcoal lighter fluid and relubed it appropriately per the manual, there was a lot of manufacturing debris in both, mostly metal shavings.

I did a complete disassembly, cleaning and reassembly including removing the scope rail cleaning all the oil underneath and reinstalling and torquing using blue loctite. I also flushed the trigger group and bolt out with charcoal lighter fluid and relubed it appropriately per the manual, there was a lot of manufacturing debris in both, mostly metal shavings.

Good point on the scope rail. I don't want that thing coming lose

thanks

What Bore guide is everyone using with these rifles? My universal one is too big and it is new enough that Sinclair does not seem to have one yet?

Reactions: n5wd
What Bore guide is everyone using with these rifles? My universal one is too big and it is new enough that Sinclair does not seem to have one yet?

This is the 10 shot, which is the 5 above with another five on top of it. View attachment 6880997

Then 5 at 100...View attachment 6880998

Man I think that’s awesome grouping for a factory 22 out of the box with hardly any break in time ??. I just put mine in California jail today and noticed that it will have to be taken apart and throughly cleaned and re lubed.

Reactions: Boxerglocker
That crap is the factory anti-corrosion treatment. It isn't lube and definitely needs to be thoroughly cleaned and properly lubed. I took my entire rifle apart other than the barrel. I shoot Horady One Shot Cleaner Lube throughout the trigger, just flush it. Then reassemble and re-torque everything.

Reactions: Hardpan

I went over to my buddys and tried a bunch of bore guides he has for various .22 bolt guns. An H&R CMP M12 worked but we had to remove a little material to clearance the tang on the left of the action and some from the bottom to clear the trigger.

here is the guide we modified..

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/search/productdetail.aspx?sid=66366&pid=33240

Part Number 749-002-616WB

Also I got it to the indoor range and ran some ammo through it. Wolf Match was the best but I still have some more testting to do.. So Far it is well worth the modest cost..

IMG_20180311_1315350.jpg

I went over to my buddys and tried a bunch of bore guides he has for various .22 bolt guns. An H&R CMP M12 worked but we had to remove a little material to clearance the tang on the left of the action and some from the bottom to clear the trigger.

here is the guide we modified..

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/search/productdetail.aspx?sid=66366&pid=33240

Part Number 749-002-616WB

Also I got it to the indoor range and ran some ammo through it. Wolf Match was the best but I still have some more testting to do.. So Far it is well worth the modest cost..

View attachment 6882911

Very nice! haven't seen Wolf ammo in my neck of the woods. What brand of cleaning rod are you using and what length?

Very nice! haven't seen Wolf ammo in my neck of the woods. What brand of cleaning rod are you using and what length?

Right now I am using my Dewey .22 30" I believe. it is a bit short but works. I ordered a 32" Dewey in .20cal, 32" might still be a little short to keep from hitting the riser. I figure the .20cal rod will give a little more room going in..

I bought the Wolf at Perry a few years back. shoots pretty good and supposedly the brass is lapua..

Reactions: Hardpan
Just got my RPRf last week and after giving it a thorough cleaning, adjusting the trigger same as my RPR .308 and mounting a scope, I took it out to get the barrel broken in and put 150 rounds through it. Accuracy came around and is looking good. Will give the barrel a good cleaning and see how it'll group with various ammo.

I did have one disappointment in that I removed the back bolt clip to get a longer action when loading a round into the chamber to simulate that action of my RPR. But the ejector what not ejected the spent cartridge very well and often with stay in the chamber and also slip down behind the mag where I had to turn the rifle upside down to get it out. Someone said this was an issued with the 15 round mag that comes with the rifle and putting in some other of Ruger's mags would relieve that problem. So, I tried that and still had the same problem, just not as often. The ejector doesn't seem to be stuck or sticking in any way. But maybe the ejector spring is a little too stiff (I'm just guess . . . I don't know)??? For now, I'm going to put that clip on the bolt and give Ruger a call to see what they think is going on with the ejector.

Just got my RPRf last week and after giving it a thorough cleaning, adjusting the trigger same as my RPR .308 and mounting a scope, I took it out to get the barrel broken in and put 150 rounds through it. Accuracy came around and is looking good. Will give the barrel a good cleaning and see how it'll group with various ammo.

I did have one disappointment in that I removed the back bolt clip to get a longer action when loading a round into the chamber to simulate that action of my RPR. But the ejector what not ejected the spent cartridge very well and often with stay in the chamber and also slip down behind the mag where I had to turn the rifle upside down to get it out. Someone said this was an issued with the 15 round mag that comes with the rifle and putting in some other of Ruger's mags would relieve that problem. So, I tried that and still had the same problem, just not as often. The ejector doesn't seem to be stuck or sticking in any way. But maybe the ejector spring is a little too stiff (I'm just guess . . . I don't know)??? For now, I'm going to put that clip on the bolt and give Ruger a call to see what they think is going on with the ejector.

Sorry to hear that. I've been using the mag it came with and has worked flawlessly. No eject porblem so far. Much easier to insert than the one on my Ruger American.

Last edited:

Look at the bolt face. The black metal flexibe clip(cartridge positioner spring part#29)opposite of the extractor is the cause of your occasional round not ejecting. Bend it in towards the center of the boltface. It will launch casings after doing that! I had same problem. I can now even run the bolt really slow and it functions well. Before I always had to run the bolt fast to get efficient ejection.

Last edited:
Look at the bolt face. The black metal flexibe clip(cartridge positioner spring part#29)opposite of the extractor is the cause of your occasional round not ejecting. Bend it in towards the center of the boltface. It will launch casings after doing that! I had same problem. I can now even run the bolt really slow and it functions well. Before I always had to run the bolt fast to get efficient ejection.

THANKS much! Did it and it seems to have helped . . . with live rounds anyway. Will see how it goes next range visit.

WARNING! That long groove that's machined down the left side of the bolt has razor sharp (NO exaggeration) edges on both sides and the full length of that groove. I just sliced my thumb on it, to my surprise. So, I took my jeweler's file and run it along those edges to dull them and now it's no longer a risk and the bolt still slides just fine.

THANKS much! Did it and it seems to have helped . . . with live rounds anyway. Will see how it goes next range visit.

WARNING! That long groove that's machined down the left side of the bolt has razor sharp (NO exaggeration) edges on both sides and the full length of that groove. I just sliced my thumb on it, to my surprise. So, I took my jeweler's file and run it along those edges to dull them and now it's no longer a risk and the bolt still slides just fine.
Pull a bullet out of the 22case dump the powder and hand load the empty casings into the chamber. That's how i did it when determining how much more i needed to bend that clip. Glad it worked for you.

Reactions: n5wd
Pull a bullet out of the 22case dump the powder and hand load the empty casings into the chamber. That's how i did it when determining how much more i needed to bend that clip. Glad it worked for you.

Found a couple spent casings laying around and used them help those make adjustments. When cycling the bolt kid of slowly, they eject quite well. But with a very rapid cycling, they don't pop out very energetically, but they do pop out better than before. I would have thought it would have been just the opposite results in terms of cycling speed. The cycling seems a lot smoother now, but that probably has something to do with the fine filing I did to dull those sharp edges.

Right now I am using my Dewey .22 30" I believe. it is a bit short but works. I ordered a 32" Dewey in .20cal, 32" might still be a little short to keep from hitting the riser. I figure the .20cal rod will give a little more room going in..

I bought the Wolf at Perry a few years back. shoots pretty good and supposedly the brass is lapua..

Is the rod too short with or without the rod guide? I don’t plan on using a rod guide for this rifle.

Is the rod too short with or without the rod guide? I don’t plan on using a rod guide for this rifle.

it is not the rod guide it is the stock that causes the issues. You have put pressure up on the rod to clear the buttstock..

it is not the rod guide it is the stock that causes the issues. You have put pressure up on the rod to clear the buttstock..

ahhh gotcha. I can see how that can be a problem

Looks like it is a close call between cci and eley, which is a surprise. But based on a few of your guys’ groups, I may have to keep trying some new ammo

BE231941-0858-4FFD-BB40-5605EF6AC641.jpeg

Reactions: Bender and Hardpan

Hey let me know how that .20 diameter rod works out. I’m leaning towards that same exact rod. I already have j dewey rods for my .308 and my 6.5.

Got my new Ruge Precision RF toy about 3 weeks ago and last week I put about 150 rounds through it to get it broken in a little. Today, I ran various brands of ammo through it shooting only 10 rounds for each to just see how they might print on the paper. None of them were really match grade, though a couple did say they were (e.g. Winchester Super-X Match, Federal Hunter Match) , but those never performed well in any of my .22's. As expected though, Center-X did do really well.

Ruger Precision RF.jpg CenterX.jpg

Reactions: Bender
Got my new Ruge Precision RF toy about 3 weeks ago and last week I put about 150 rounds through it to get it broken in a little. Today, I ran various brands of ammo through it shooting only 10 rounds for each to just see how they might print on the paper. None of them were really match grade, though a couple did say they were (e.g. Winchester Super-X Match, Federal Hunter Match) , but those never performed well in any of my .22's. As expected though, Center-X did do really well.

View attachment 6886633 View attachment 6886634
Nice group. What was the range for that test? 25y, 50y or 100y or something else. Was it indoors, outdoor? What was the wind and ambient conditions? It would help everyone interested to know the distance & conditions you were shooting from please. Also, for comparison, how about the others in the test? \\Irish

Nice group. What was the range for that test? 25y, 50y or 100y or something else. Was it indoors, outdoor? What was the wind and ambient conditions? It would help everyone interested to know the distance & conditions you were shooting from please. Also, for comparison, how about the others in the test? \\Irish

This was outside from bench rest at 50yds. A somewhat overcast day with temp at 78° F with wind at 3-8 from about 5 o'clock and humidity at 17% (yes, I have and recorded from my Kestrel). Barometer at 30.11 and altitude 1668 ft.

I didn't bother to take pics of the targets for the other's in the test as I have pics from those others from previous outing with other rifles. I did have a pic of the Lapua Polar Biathlon, but can't seem to find it. I do have the data for them that I added to my data base. I've now got a collection of 520 lines of data on various .22LR ammo (though not much on the more expensive match like cartridges). You can see some of the data and how I've recorded it on the attached pic and look at the last 8 lines.

.22LR Spreadsheet.JPG Ruger Prec RF wth Magnetospeed.JPG

Received the RPRF yesterday and directly went to the range. Not bad with ELEY edge at 105Y indoor range. I believe I can do better if I dial down the weight of trigger pull a little bit.

Attachments

• 181112pbqbx1zbfvebee31.jpg
    181112pbqbx1zbfvebee31.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 376
  • 181120kev1vewzqlizi1v1.jpg
    181120kev1vewzqlizi1v1.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 445
  • 15623C7B-AE2F-40F4-977D-36856CA766E3.jpeg
    15623C7B-AE2F-40F4-977D-36856CA766E3.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 448
  • 181704j3x39xoos593xwha.jpg
    181704j3x39xoos593xwha.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Jesus you aren’t kidding around with that scope setup with the geissele

Having a couple of CZs that shoot well, I was leaning toward another CZ as a trainer but put my name on a couple of lists for the Ruger PRF. Got a call today that one is available, so I'll pick it up tomorrow and give it a try.

I have a Mueller 4-16 A0 and a Weaver V16 to mount on it but am considering an Athlon Ares. What rings and/or mounts will be a good fit?