• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire

Take the gun apart and send in just the action, no barrel or chassis. You do that and you won’t have to go threw a GFL dealer eaither
That's not how it works. At all.

First of all, the action IS the firearm. You can ship barrels, bolts, stocks, and everything else to anyone in any state without an FFL. The action (and anything attached to it) has to ship/mail to an FFL if it's going to a different state than yours.

EXCEPT that the action (and anything attached to it up to an including a complete firearm) can go from you directly to a gunsmith or manufacturer for repairs and come right back directly to you without an FFL: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/atf-form-4473-required-when-gunsmith-returns-repaired-firearm

That's not how it works. At all.

First of all, the action IS the firearm. You can ship barrels, bolts, stocks, and everything else to anyone in any state without an FFL. The action (and anything attached to it) has to ship/mail to an FFL if it's going to a different state than yours.

EXCEPT that the action (and anything attached to it up to an including a complete firearm) can go from you directly to a gunsmith or manufacturer for repairs and come right back directly to you without an FFL: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/atf-form-4473-required-when-gunsmith-returns-repaired-firearm
I would verify this is correct. Although I don't have an FFL I have bought, sold and sent in for repair quite a bit over the years.

Just got the RPRr back

Here is what ruger did to it (don’t know why the picture from my phone is upside down)

positioner spring
Bolt stop spring
And new chassis

might get out to shoot it later this week to see how it does.
Interesting that they use Aguila ammo. Most j have tried from Aguila has been garbage.
A3791B76-ADAD-466E-B650-150BAE59C3EF.jpeg

I think Aguila does like CCI. They make standard velocity and high velocity ammo and put it in boxes with different labels and prices on it but it all performs the same.

Well got a new 5-20 scope mounted and put back on the ergo grip.

funny thing. The trigger is much better than before I sent it in *shrug*
Doesn’t make sense but the trigger is noticeably better. Put some drywall anchors (as snap caps) and I have been dry firing it and for sure the trigger is better now.
Can’t wait to take my boy to the range to see how it does.
If it works well then the whistle pig barrel will go back on and see if it will extract out of a match chamber.

Took the ruger back out with my boy now that we have it back.

1st - 15 rounds - 3 FTE (ruger 15 round mag) Eley action
2nd - 10 rounds - 1 FTE - Eley action
Cleaned the chamber with brush and swab
3rd - 15 rounds - federal bulk (1 FTE)
4th - 10 rounds - Remington bulk (0 FTE)
5th - 15 rounds - Remington bulk (1 FTE)
6th - 8-10 rounds (my boy was loading and shooting by himself) 1 FTE ammo was a mixture of whatever he grabbed

sad thing is he love this gun.
I have a video that I need to upload somewhere and post it.
Needless to say it’s going back to ruger

Here is one of the better groups of the day

wind was horrible. At least 10mph constant and 20-30 gusts. Didn’t stay too long because it was blowing sand and dirt all over us.
C821C89B-F524-4164-9783-39164C7F6D1F.jpeg

Does anyone know of a replacement chassis for the RPR? I really enjoy shooting it but hate the plastic stock. I have looked around online and have not found any other options.

My apologies, didn’t realize the rimfire was different than the regular RPR. All I’ve seen is target tool, but they want $425 for the stock

I also hated that plastic in Florida sweating, wasn't pleasent for cheap to rest.

So I bought nice soft rubber fabric, glued it, and trimmed it, now it's comfortable, look on E-bay, lot of items out there just made for covering stock.

Here is what I have on both of my Precision.
img_3247_heic_b75ed3181599e50ddd82838f75191d5939c416b1.jpeg

img_3307_heic_d824068333b8063e1be6e4e53842a3fd9a174046.jpeg

Help!
I know the Action Screws should be torqued to 35 inch pounds. How about the scope base? I've ordered a 0 MOA base but can't seem to find its torque setting.

Is there a list somewhere that provides all the torque settings used for the RPRF?

Help!
I know the Action Screws should be torqued to 35 inch pounds. How about the scope base? I've ordered a 0 MOA base but can't seem to find its torque setting.

Is there a list somewhere that provides all the torque settings used for the RPRF?
I did find a youtube video for the Ruger Precision Rifle (Not the Rimfire) where 25 Inch/Lb was specified for its rail. If's probably the same for the Rimfire but I'd feel better if somebody here confirms that. Thanks.

I found a video on YouTube from Elfster's Rifles and Reloading where in the scope base/rail was torqued to 20 inch/lbs, the hand guard to 40 inch/lbs and the action screws to 35 inch/lbs. I'll be using these settings.

I went crazy moding mine. Green mountain 22" barrel ,Harrolds tuner, timmney replacement trigger, mdt grip .front and rear bag riders and a sightron 10x55 scope. shoots pretty good

Hello all!
So I FINALLY got through all 35 pages...only took me about 2 weeks pecking away a few pages/night.

I purchased my RPRR this past July so that I could entertain giving my local NRL22 contests a go. I attended 3 of them, so far, the first one I borrowed a loaner RPRR, since my scope hadn't arrived yet then attended 2 others. I have ZERO experience so I did horrible and didn't bother going to last Saturday's cuz I wanna put in more practice time before attempting another contest. I'm still testing ammo for this rifle so until I get it dialed in I don't feel comfortable. So that's a lil background on me. :oops:

I wanted to ask did the RPRR ever release a 2nd gen that fixed some of the known issues?

I read a lot about chassis/action gaps leading to different ways to bedding them. I spent this past w/e doing mine and I must say I didn't find any wobbleness with my barrel block in the chassis. It felt tight enough that I don't think I would have been able to get it back in place if I had tried to add foil tape to it. I just want to be sure I'm not trying to bed in parts that were already fixed/respec'd by Ruger???

Also curious if there any must read/watch precision shooting tips/advice out there that you precision vets send newbies to??? TIA!

Last edited:
Hello all!
So I FINALLY got through all 35 pages...only took me about 2 weeks pecking away a few pages/night.

I think Ruger may have slowly fixed the issues in question as mine came very solid (no need to bed) and I have not had any ejection issues like mentioned by early adapters to the rifle. As for ammo mine really likes CCI standard Velocity 40gr and thats all I buy. It may shoot some of the more expensive stuff better but its diminished returns for me.

For training, if you have access to a range where you can move around a bit. I would take a folding chair with you and practice hitting different targets off the top, seat and bottom support bar of the chair. Or you can build yourself obstacle to practice positional shooting around. You could also get snap caps and practice positional dry firing in your back yard.

Reactions: FO876
Thank you!

I keep reading how well the CCI SV does in this rifle, unfortunately, I have yet to find it so I could try it out. Of all the ammo I tried thus far, CCI Green Tag, SK Rifle Match, Eley Contact and Eley Match shot very well.

I think I tried shooting too many brands my last time out so I never really got to check for consistency other than the few 5-shot groups I did before moving onto the next brand.

Still looking fwd to trying out lesser expensive options like CCI SV, I keep reading how some of these rifles shoots them very well and that's what I want to find for regular plinking.

Yikes, not with my RPRR.....I was somewhat disappointed after all the high recommendations.

The Gold Medal I haven't found nor tried yet.

Been debating getting one, but can't decide 22lr or 22 mag

Been using CCI standard speed and Green Tag in our Ruger American rimfire. Decent accuracy out to 100 yards, 1/2 Minute of Squirrel at 50 yards.

Had a box of that stuff in my rimfire storage. thought I would give it a try. Best I could tell, it was getting a minute of backstop at 100 yards. A really nice shotgun pattern. Not much else.

Reactions: estephens
I've had plenty of luck with my RPRR. I have had some sub MOA targets with the right ammo off of my Lead Sled. I find that the Eley Match works best for the longer distance (100 yards). I generally use the RPRR or my modded 10/22 at the range to shoot the 8x10 dartboard targets off the bipod at 50 yards with my friends. Big fun because whoever wins buys lunch.
IMG_4044.JPG
IMG_2200.JPG

Reactions: 1bdvet
Damn nice group with the federal bro!

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the IBI barrel on their Ruger PRP?

I did the ibi back in January, my factory barrel wasn’t horrible to start with though. The ibi has been far more consistent across the board ammo wise though, random lots of Tenex, center x, eley match, SK match all fairly equal. So I decided to go with SK match and a few thousand down and a few different lot #’s it don’t care. I shot the nrl22 nationals and finished mid pack with it.

For the ibi, yes, I have never been disappointed or had much to blame on the barrel. It’s not a benchrest gun, but I did pick up my NRL scores by a few hits on average. Groups at 200 run around 4” and 300 it shoots 7”. I should have my RimX/McMillan z10/ krieger rifle hopefully within in another week, and I only made that choice because of the weight and balance I want for NRL/PRS.

Reactions: Kisssofdeath
After 8 months of out of stock during to covid, finally got my hands on one. can't wait to shoot it. What scope y'all putting on it for nrl22?

First time posting spent years reading posts on the site

I've been out of competitive shooting for a while and bought a rprr a while ago to plink with and mounted a vortex BD tactical that I removed from a hunting rifle since FFP scopes do not work well for me in woods/brush on lower power/low light

Then found the game of NRL22 and found out that I made the base class requirement of $1050 list price for factory gun/scope combo by $25 and I can install a new trigger assembly, although factory trigger is not too bad for now. the gun shoots great 3/8" at 50 and still sub minute at 100 off a bench rest setup. This is using federal HV and its respectful with federal SV; actually a little better at 100 than HV. I've tried Winchester, browning and federal target and not any better than the cheap stuff. And I do keep my barrel clean since breaking it in

Now I need to practice prone/bipod, sling etc and the jumping jack thing looks painful and kneeling will be a trip I'll have my grandson with me to help walk back to truck

Need to practice before going to a match. My father taught me that shooting well is breathing, trigger control and consistency with holding your firearm same way every shot and if you're shooting bad, stop; you're repeating something wrong which translates to insanity

I have my own range and 8-yo grandson rings 2" and 1" steel plates consistently off of bench rest at 50 and have a full set of NRL22 targets being made while I'm traveling for work next 3-months. I live in PA but periodically work OCONUS

So much for the intro. Now that he knows the gun shoots well we can both move to practicing shooting with bipod/sling and bags. 10k rounds will keep us going for a while

Reactions: FO876
So.... I read through 35 pages and have come up with the following steps for increasing accuracy...

1. Bed the action with foil tape? Has anyone had bad luck with this or does it always yield no change or better?
2. Mess with action screw torque, setting the front one to 30-35 in lbs and then mess with the rear screw torque.
3. New barrel. Most people seem to see improvements, a few I have seen posted no change or worse groups?
4. I only use 10 round mags, but reducing magazine play (especially in higher capacity mags) by either replacing the plunger with a KIDD plunger or the tab of epoxy on the magazine trick..
5. Reduce pressure on the stock as best as possible...
6. Reduce trigger pull weight or replace trigger with Timney.

Did I miss anything or does anyone have any corrections on my statements or any additional tips/tricks?

My gun shoots roughly MOA or just over MOA at 50 yards but reaching out to 100 is terrible! Like 2.5" groups at best. I did step 1 last night and will shoot this weekend to see how it does, also messing with the action screw torques. I have a new ER Shaw barrel on the way as well as the KIDD plunger (even though I really dont need it), but figure any reduction in magazine play is a bonus.

Reactions: ChickenCobra