• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire

I believe I've had my RPR for about 3 years. I've put thousands of rounds thru it. All kinds of ammo, all documented in a notebook. I've bedded the action. I've used the PITA sled. I've got the monopod in the rear. I competed with it and did "okay". I said many times I'm shooting golf balls at ~220 yards with it. I do love this rifle. HOWEVER....

I recently got a Bergara B14-R. I've put only about 250 rounds thru it. I laugh. I laugh out loud like a child. I'm simply dumbfounded by the accuracy difference. My RPR can't hold a candle to it. Its not even close. The groupings are far better. I decided today to reach out for some golf balls with it at ~220 using 'meh' Federal bulk 'purple box' ammo. It was so stupid easy. Way easier than the RPR. Both rifles have Athlon 6x24 scopes. My RPR has a bipod and monopod. The B14 had a hunk of wood for a front rest, and a fortune cookie bag in the rear and still blew the RPR away.

I won't get rid of my RPR. Hell I'll prbly still buy a Tikka, CZ, and maybe one day a Voodoo. Just so I can have them all. But I'm not going to recommend the RPR to anyone who doesn't want to do more than plinking. The Barrel just isn't good enough. Yes I'm comparing a $400 rifle to a $1100 rifle. One will shoot soda cans. The other will shoot the tabs off the can.

Last edited:
Reactions: rookie7
Yep that works too. I also agree. I have said many times before, if you want an out of the box 400 to 1100 mini action get the cz. If you want a centerfire trainer get the bergara and buy a triggertech. They are about the same in the accuracy department. My steel Bergara will edge out most. If you want the ultimate in accuracy get a vudoo. What a vudoo will do with SK std plus the others need center x or a good lot of sk. Yes the others will produce groups close to it but consistent 10 x 5 vudoo win everytime. But for nrl, either of the other two will serve you fine. If you get the cz, get a 16in varmint barrel version. Seem to shoot better

With my Ruger I have to hold the back half gently or I will flex the check weld and have poi changes. Because of this I do better on wobbly stages. Due to soft hold and making it balanced front to rear on bag.

Thank you. I'm at a bit of a loss what causes the huge swings. I have fully stripped the rifle and torqued everything twice. I tried the foil tape bedding and see no improvement, if anything it's a little worse.
Before you go nuts replacing things on this gun, start looking at what you are doing as a shooter. I recently bought the flag model for my wife. She shoots it pretty well and likes it. But, of all the guns I have, I find this one the hardest to shoot accurately. For me, it's light, and I have a hard time keeping it steady. But, after a few hundred break-in rounds and good ammo, it WILL shoot sub-MOA if I do my part. Heck, it doesn't do a bad job with the cheap ammo.

Brother-in-law had the RPRR. It shot fine, but he sold it for a comp 10/22. He likes autos. I never went down the RPRR road.

Seems Ruger could solve most issues with this rifle if they make the entire chassis out of aluminum. Or at the least make the tang to front out of aluminum and use an AR interface so folks can add their choice of stock.

I have the T1x, cz 457, and the Bergara b14r steel. I second what @TheMightyGorilla says about how well it shoots. I love the Bergara.

Before you go nuts replacing things on this gun, start looking at what you are doing as a shooter. I recently bought the flag model for my wife. She shoots it pretty well and likes it. But, of all the guns I have, I find this one the hardest to shoot accurately. For me, it's light, and I have a hard time keeping it steady. But, after a few hundred break-in rounds and good ammo, it WILL shoot sub-MOA if I do my part. Heck, it doesn't do a bad job with the cheap ammo.
It's just frustrating when very very minor changes in pressure on my bipod can lead to this much variance at 100 yards. It's not confidence inspiring for little 1.5" NRL22 targets at 100. Well see how the NRL22x match goes this month.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210606-065214_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210606-065214_Gallery.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 146
It's just frustrating when very very minor changes in pressure on my bipod can lead to this much variance at 100 yards. It's not confidence inspiring for little 1.5" NRL22 targets at 100. Well see how the NRL22x match goes this month.

After seeing this thread again, I will add that the RPR I bought for my wife didn't shoot worth a hoot right out of the box. I had several varieties of cheap .22 in the house, but, none of them shot worth a damn, even after a couple hundred rounds. You could clean the barrel using very passive methods, and the first two or three rounds would show promise. But, after that, there was no telling where it was going to go. The groups looked like what you pictured.

I came to the conclusion there was a rough spot, sharp edge, or something in the barrel that was causing a lead build up. I decided to commit what a lot of people on this website consider to be a mortal sin. I cleaned the barrel again, and took a well-oiled brass brush and ran two passes down the barrel, followed by two dry patches to clean it up.

After that, the gun shoots exceptionally well. I have yet to try any of the really pricey ammo yet, but so far, it seems to favor the CCI mini-mag copper plated 40gr round nose 1235fps. My wife can make almost every hole touch at 50 yds with this round. I'm going to get some of the pricier target ammo when I get a chance and see what it does with that.

Reactions: flyfisher117
Ruger and CCI. Probably the worst combination I can think of if you're trying to obtain any degree of remfire accuracy! RPR, Ruger has never made a precision anything. They produce some of the best firearms ever built but accuracy is not in their vocabulary. As for CCI, excellent ammo but also some of the least accurate 22 ammo made. I own and shoot Rugers and CCI ammo but I don't try to make them any more than what they are. If you do you'll more than likely be disappointed.

I’ve been shooting mine in the 50’/100’ indoor/outdoor iron sight league for the last 2 yrs. Their are about 60-80 people in the league, we all shoot the same target (printable off the net)and CCI mini-mag hollow points. Last yr I shot 97.6% and came in 6th, currently this yr my average is 98.2% and I‘m currently 4th in the standings. After the original iron sight issues at the start, the rifle has been flawless, the weak link in the chain is me and my shooting practices.

Reactions: mrmarklin
I went to the range this morning, no one else there, I had the whole place to myself for 3+ hrs, got there at 5 am and left at 8:30 am. I shot 4 rifles, the RPRF, RARF, a Winchester Wildcat and my trusty Remington 510 Targetmaster.

I shot 10 targets with the RPRF, (2) 100s, (3) 99s, (2) 98s, (2) 97s and a 96, for a total of 982 out of 1000 or right around my current average of 98.2%. The RARF was 97.2, the Remington was 97.6 and the Winchester was 92.8.

So I blew through roughly 600 rounds, all in all, except for the Winchester, a real good time.

Bought one of these from a lefty friend that never shot it. I read through all this thinking the worst and did the foil bedding before ever shooting it. took it to a friends private 50yrd range today with a few types of bulk ammo and was pleasantly surprised. Federal automatch was excellent, an old brick of Remington target was also pretty good, Blazer was crap. I noticed if I hesitated too long with a round in the chamber it would be outside the group by a hair, but not by much..
Shot with the unmodified bx15 and thread protector on. no mods other than the foil tape, trigger at 2.5lbs. 6-18x44 crossfire2 scope. 50 yards, 5 shot groups, no wind 70*.

Attachments

• 20210717_213015.jpg
    20210717_213015.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 20210717_213019.jpg
    20210717_213019.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210717_213031.jpg
    20210717_213031.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210717_213007.jpg
    20210717_213007.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210717_213025.jpg
    20210717_213025.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 135
A tale of two Rugers. I bought my son a RPRF. We are doing NRL22 competitions. We also have a CZ and a Bergara b14r. His RPRF shot like crap. We spent some time and did the bedding and a few other thing that have been mentioned here. After fixing these issues it shot really well. We were seriously surprised at the difference. I bought one for me a couple of months ago. Right out of the box everything was "right with the world" fit and fitment was excellent. Didn't have to do a thing to make it shoot really well. I have to say that it is my favorite 22. It is so accurate out of the box. We are shaking our heads because of the difference between the two rifles. We were on the verge of sending his back to Ruger, but the few "fixes" we did worked very well. Chalk it up to poor QC. We've run many types of ammo trying to find which gun likes what. I'm astonished by the fact that they both shoot CCI SV so well, were not going to bother trying anything else anymore. Totally happy with both now and were doing very well at these local competitions. ymmv

Reactions: TheMightyGorilla
Hey all sorry to revive an old thread but my RPRF seemed to have acquired accuracy issues, like bad. It used to shoot 3/8-1/2" at 50 yards. at that point I really liked it, was having no problem hitting steel at 3-400 yards.

I hadn't shot it in a few months and decided to bust it out, before heading to the range I decided to swap out the shims in my Burris signature series rings to give the scope more angle to maximize my amount of dial (athlon Talos BTR 4-14).

At this point the rifle shot about 2" groups at 50 yards. WTF??? I took the rifle home and checked all the fasteners but nothing was loose so at this point I cleaned the barrel, not completely but ran a few patches. shoot it again, no change. Well maybe something is wrong with the offset shims so I switched those back. I just got back from the range and no change. any ideas?

maybe I should clean the barrel completely and start fresh.

Last edited:
It sounds like it shot great, you messed with the scope and now it sucks.

I'd put the old scope with rings and no shims on it and shoot again.

I never use shims, ever....at all... except for.... no never mind... just never.

Using shims under rings can damage rings, bases and scopes. Try a different scope and rings and see how it goes.

The rail, rings and scope should all be parallel, shims try to bend the scope to the rail or rail to the scope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oleshep
It sounds like it shot great, you messed with the scope and now it sucks.

I'd put the old scope with rings and no shims on it and shoot again.

I never use shims, ever....at all... except for.... no never mind... just never.

Using shims under rings can damage rings, bases and scopes. Try a different scope and rings and see how it goes.

The rail, rings and scope should all be parallel, shims try to bend the scope to the rail or rail to the scope.
it's not shims under the rings. They are the Burris Signature rings that have the alignment inserts that allow you to tilt the scope, at any rate the last thing I did was put it back to the way it was when it was shooting good and no change.

Planning tomorrow to take a scope off of a different rifle and try that. Maybe the scope went for crap, kinda hard to believe since its only ever been on this gun and maybe has 1000 rounds on it, stuff happens tho

I will also note that I did try some cci velocitor ammo just to see how it grouped (I think this was the first ammo I fired before realizing the eley stuff that I was shooting wouldn't shoot neither)

Last edited:
Gun shot fine.

Changed the ring adjustments, gun shoots bad.

Everything torqued to Burris/Athlon specs?

Were you shooting the same lot of ammo that delivered good groups?

it's not shims under the rings. They are the Burris Signature rings that have the alignment inserts that allow you to tilt the scope, at any rate the last thing I did was put it back to the way it was when it was shooting good and no change.

Planning tomorrow to take a scope off of a different rifle and try that. Maybe the scope went for crap, kinda hard to believe since its only ever been on this gun and maybe has 1000 rounds on it, stuff happens tho

I will also note that I did try some cci velocitor ammo just to see how it grouped (I think this was the first ammo I fired before realizing the eley stuff that I was shooting wouldn't shoot neither)
Thanks for not jumping on me for not understanding the shims. I've seen a lot of people shove shim material between a rail and rings.

I'd still go with a scope you know to be good, before anything else.

Double check the rail is tight on the reciever, torque rings and spot check action screw just to be sure.

Gun shot fine.

Changed the ring adjustments, gun shoots bad.

Everything torqued to Burris/Athlon specs?

Were you shooting the same lot of ammo that delivered good groups?
everything torqued to spec, action screws. rail, bases, caps.
I can't verify it's the same lot as before but we aren't talking moderately poor groups, I could shoot them out of a sling shot more accurately than this.
Thanks for not jumping on me for not understanding the shims. I've seen a lot of people shove shim material between a rail and rings.

I'd still go with a scope you know to be good, before anything else.

Double check the rail is tight on the reciever, torque rings and spot check action screw just to be sure.
Ya I guess I have to swap the scope to a known good scope.

Check the owners manual if there is a note regarding the velocitor ammo. If you have a borescope, check your barrel to see if it was damaged especially the muzzle.

Do you have anything on the muzzle before and after? Is it all at the same torque?

Reactions: Ldecker81
Hey all sorry to revive an old thread but my RPRF seemed to have acquired accuracy issues, like bad. It used to shoot 3/8-1/2" at 50 yards. at that point I really liked it, was having no problem hitting steel at 3-400 yards.

I hadn't shot it in a few months and decided to bust it out, before heading to the range I decided to swap out the shims in my Burris signature series rings to give the scope more angle to maximize my amount of dial (athlon Talos BTR 4-14).

At this point the rifle shot about 2" groups at 50 yards. WTF??? I took the rifle home and checked all the fasteners but nothing was loose so at this point I cleaned the barrel, not completely but ran a few patches. shoot it again, no change. Well maybe something is wrong with the offset shims so I switched those back. I just got back from the range and no change. any ideas?

Well some say you never clean a 22 and there are all kinds of reasons, my Tikka shot great and all of a sudden my groups doubled in size and I’m like WTF! I found a article that recommends cleaning 22s every 400- 500 RDS so I cleaned it well my groups came back! Now I clean every 300 or so rounds and run one of the most accurate 22 rifles at the club

Check the owners manual if there is a note regarding the velocitor ammo. If you have a borescope, check your barrel to see if it was damaged especially the muzzle.

Do you have anything on the muzzle before and after? Is it all at the same torque?
I bought this rifle second hand last year so I don’t have the manual but the bore looks fine
Well some say you never clean a 22 and there are all kinds of reasons, my Tikka shot great and all of a sudden my groups doubled in size and I’m like WTF! I found a article that recommends cleaning 22s every 400- 500 RDS so I cleaned it well my groups came back! Now I clean every 300 or so rounds and run one of the most accurate 22 rifles at the club
I deep cleaned it last night, I’m gonna try and shoot it this afternoon. I’m going to take another scope with me also and swap that at the range if it still doesn’t shoot

I bought this rifle second hand last year so I don’t have the manual but the bore looks fine

I deep cleaned it last night, I’m gonna try and shoot it this afternoon. I’m going to take another scope with me also and swap that at the range if it still doesn’t shoot
I would bring a torque wrench with you as well and play with the torque on the action screws

I would bring a torque wrench with you as well and play with the torque on the action screws
Ya I put it in my bag for scope mounting. I know tuning with the torque is a thing but again, even if it wasn't tuned that way should should better than this. Also yes it has a flash hider on it, I'm not sure if it came on there or if the previous owner put it on but I have never removed it.

made it to the range quick and accuracy seems to be back after the deep clean. It took about 3 mags to settle in but the last 5 groups were 1/2-3/4 inch at 50 yards with a 20mph wind. so a bit less wind and I'm sure they would be back to where it was.

You have it wrong. If it is not shooting well, remove the scope and put another rifle under it.
Honestly I think I'm going to do that. I have been happy with this gun but I shot a friends T1x and it produces groups at 100 that this will at 50 so I think I am going to go that route. I'd actually like a Vudoo but I just cant justify the price.

Honestly I think I'm going to do that. I have been happy with this gun but I shot a friends T1x and it produces groups at 100 that this will at 50 so I think I am going to go that route. I'd actually like a Vudoo but I just cant justify the price.
I was meh on the accuracy from my RPRR and dropped in a Green Mountain 16 barrel". Much happier, cut groups in half, we shoot at spent shotgun shells at 100yds with good odds of hitting now.

I was meh on the accuracy from my RPRR and dropped in a Green Mountain 16 barrel". Much happier, cut groups in half, we shoot at spent shotgun shells at 100yds with good odds of hitting now.
Are you hitting the primers on the shot gun shells a poor mans K.Y.L.

I started doing the math on it and I can drop a barrel and a trigger into this unit and be around $1500 into it, or pickup a Tikka and drop it in a chassis for about $1200.

The bonus to using the RPRF would be I already have it, but I'm scared to spend the money and then not be happy with the results. I mean it shoots good enough but I'm kind of a fiend for accuracy. If I was gonna swap the barrel on the ruger there is a good chance I go to something fast twist to shoot the 42gr CuRx bullets

Number of problems with mag/loading on tikka around here. Cz and bergara seem pretty good

I took the rifle home and checked all the fasteners but nothing was loose so at this point I cleaned the barrel, not completely but ran a few patches. shoot it again, no change. Well maybe something is wrong with the offset shims so I switched those back. I just got back from the range and no change. any ideas?

If you cleaned the barrel with no change, then the scope/rings are suspect. That's the one thing you changed.

I don't know why people are down on this gun. Maybe it's because they spent a boatload of money on something else, and didn't get their moneys' worth. I can keep mine on a 20" plate at 500 yards most of the time with bullets that cost me 10.5 cents each.

Reactions: Ldecker81
If you cleaned the barrel with no change, then the scope/rings are suspect. That's the one thing you changed.

I don't know why people are down on this gun. Maybe it's because they spent a boatload of money on something else, and didn't get their moneys' worth. I can keep mine on a 20" plate at 500 yards most of the time with bullets that cost me 10.5 cents each.
My RPRF is still out shooting my skill level. I'm getting better every weekend and believe this rifle is better than the current MOA it shoots, while also using $4.99 boxes of ammo

Stop giving people false hope. You did this a while back with your cold bore claims with centerfire that don’t hold up to hit probability math.

You also just made a post about how hard a time you have hitting 20” plate @ 500yds. So, make up your mind.

A Ruger RPRR is a $400 rifle that acts like a $400 rifle. And a good rifle…..for $400. A duck is a duck is a duck. There will be some very good samples and some very bad samples of every rifle.

But people are not getting $3k performance on a $400 rifle as a standard.

Stop giving people false hope. You did this a while back with your cold bore claims with centerfire that don’t hold up to hit probability math.

You also just made a post about how hard a time you have hitting 20” plate @ 500yds. So, make up your mind.

A Ruger RPRR is a $400 rifle that acts like a $400 rifle. And a good rifle…..for $400. A duck is a duck is a duck. There will be some very good samples and some very bad samples of every rifle.

I'm glad you think that all you have to do spend $3k on a rifle and all the stars will just fall right in line for you. Those must be some rifles indeed. As far as my experiences go, successful shooting relies on a lot more than the quality of the rifle. Perhaps it is you that is giving people false hope. But, hey, maybe you own stock in the $3k rifle company.

• Haha
Reactions: mrt949
The best bit of information i have heard in a long time.
It's like drag racing .
How fast you want to go How much you want to SPEND

My RPRF is still out shooting my skill level. I'm getting better every weekend and believe this rifle is better than the current MOA it shoots, while also using $4.99 boxes of ammo

I'm glad you think that all you have to do spend $3k on a rifle and all the stars will just fall right in line for you. Those must be some rifles indeed. As far as my experiences go, successful shooting relies on a lot more than the quality of the rifle. Perhaps it is you that is giving people false hope. But, hey, maybe you own stock in the $3k rifle company.
Just like drag racing

I have made several first round hits at 400yds on a 66% ipsc and a couple first round hits on a 8in plate at 400. I honestly don't think there is a gun worth 3k that shoots 22lr. At some point your at the limitations of the cartridge. I have shot several high end 22s but with that cartridge a lot of times the gun is better then the round.

Last edited:
The best bit of information i have heard in a long time.
It's like drag racing .
How fast you want to go How much you want to SPEND
That only works if you know what to do with the car. A local guy here with more money than brains thought he would buy a Bugatti Veyron so he could be the fastest guy on the block. When a couple of people with lesser cars took him for some money, he decided to hit the highway one night and figure out why. He ended up putting it in a roadside pond. The same applies to guns. You can spend a ton of money. But, if you don't have sufficient skills, it won't help much.

If you don't have the skills things don't work you are correct the thing between your ears make a difference
That only works if you know what to do with the car. A local guy here with more money than brains thought he would buy a Bugatti Veyron so he could be the fastest guy on the block. When a couple of people with lesser cars took him for some money, he decided to hit the highway one night and figure out why. He ended up putting it in a roadside pond. The same applies to guns. You can spend a ton of money. But, if you don't have sufficient skills, it won't help much.

Many years ago i shot I.H.M.S.A. Their was a young woman who competed with a pistol S&W 617 .
They asked her dad what ammo she used He said the chepest she hast to learn how to shoot.
she won the nationals . against big money revolvers

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
Many years ago i shot I.H.M.S.A. Their was a young woman who competed with a pistol S&W 617 .
They asked her dad what ammo she used He said the chepest she hast to learn how to shoot.
she won the nationals . against big money revolvers
If it was easy, then there wouldn't be much self-satisfaction in it when you won. For me, it started at age 14 with an $88 shotgun. My dad was worse than any little league dad with a champion pitcher for a son. I had every kind of custom trap and skeet gun in every gauge. Remington 3200, Luigi Franchi, etc you name it. I couldn't tell you what they cost because I won every one of them in competitions. My dad was a county worker and couldn't afford guns like that. But, he could afford a shotgun reloader and 500 rounds of trap or skeet a week. He died when I was 18, and I eventually got out of the game after that. It just wasn't the same without him. But, I did learn one thing early on. It's not the gun. It's the discipline.

Reactions: mrt949 and Tentman
The word Discipline .Just like all sports bowling ,golf a perfect game .IT'S THE CHALLENGE
If it was easy, then there wouldn't be much self-satisfaction in it when you won. For me, it started at age 14 with an $88 shotgun. My dad was worse than any little league dad with a champion pitcher for a son. I had every kind of custom trap and skeet gun in every gauge. Remington 3200, Luigi Franchi, etc you name it. I couldn't tell you what they cost because I won every one of them in competitions. My dad was a county worker and couldn't afford guns like that. But, he could afford a shotgun reloader and 500 rounds of trap or skeet a week. He died when I was 18, and I eventually got out of the game after that. It just wasn't the same without him. But, I did learn one thing early on. It's not the gun. It's the discipline.

Reactions: straightshooter1
I mean as far as I have ever seen any quality of shotgun still sends the shot down the tube and scatters out the end. A poorly built rifle can do the same thing, scatter bullets out the muzzle. You aren't going to win any competitions with a rifle that doesn't shoot

Last edited: