• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ruger SFAR small frame 308, 6.8 pounds

@MinistryOfTruth have you tried any ammo from a completely different batch lot#?

could be Hornady had a small run of oversized primer pockets that were just enough to blow out with the internal ballistics of 6.5CM. I know that was a contributing factor to the issues with the 6.5CM SCAR

other thing you might inspect is how close your chamber is to minimum spec, kissing it gently with a fractionally larger reamer might give the case enough room to do its thing without popping the primer.

Reactions: doubloon
have you tried

FWIW, my 308 SFAR blows primers with Core-Lokt and Hornady hunting rounds that both function fine in the DPMS and the bolt gun

After enough rounds it also suffers from sticking cases and torn rims with virtually any ammo I've tried.

I'm currently of the mind that the chamber is the correct place to focus for a solution.

Last edited:
@MinistryOfTruth have you tried any ammo from a completely different batch lot#?

could be Hornady had a small run of oversized primer pockets that were just enough to blow out with the internal ballistics of 6.5CM. I know that was a contributing factor to the issues with the 6.5CM SCAR

other thing you might inspect is how close your chamber is to minimum spec, kissing it gently with a fractionally larger reamer might give the case enough room to do its thing without popping the primer.
I have new lot and old lot stuff. Both do it.

Just ordered the reamer for the throat. I notice my throat is very very slightly off perfectly cut. There is a shadow of rifling on one side.

I may use cold blue on the throat before I cut so I can clearly see what happens

Okay - update.

I used the throating reamer in the chamber and got an odd result. It cut a circular patch out of the side of the throat...that had reamer cutting before and after it from the factory job.

This is impossible if the barrel is the same shape it was when the factory cut it.

The metal the throating reamer cut out is almost exactly circular. This tells me its a stress bump from the hammer forging process on the barrel. Factory cuts the barrel, forges it, chambers it....then I get it hot and the metal expands right there.

I kissed the lead in some and moved the throat from .199/.200 or so to .205.

Results - It shot 10 groups that were .8 or less at 100 yds. Most .6. Several .4.

SD for the first 10 rounds after cutting was 50. Then it was 20 for the next 10. Then 14 for the 10 after that. Then 14 for the next 10.

FPS jumped from 2534 to 2600. Primers are now reasonable in appearance.

No more blown primers at all. It will blow primers still with a carbine buffer. But not the H3. The two awful groups are from the Carbine Buffer.
IMG_2183.jpeg
IMG_2179.jpeg
IMG_2178.jpeg

Final Outcome:
Factory 147 Hornady 6.5 CM, 3 different lots
H3 Buffer
SA Adjustable Gas Block in Blow Off Mode at 6.5 Turns Out
+2 Gas Mod
.086 Gas Port
Factory spring/buffer tube
Shimmed barrel

Okay - update.

I used the throating reamer in the chamber and got an odd result. It cut a circular patch out of the side of the throat...that had reamer cutting before and after it from the factory job.

This is impossible if the barrel is the same shape it was when the factory cut it.

The metal the throating reamer cut out is almost exactly circular. This tells me its a stress bump from the hammer forging process on the barrel. Factory cuts the barrel, forges it, chambers it....then I get it hot and the metal expands right there.

Results - It shot 10 groups that were .8 or less at 100 yds. Most .6. Several .4.

SD for the first 10 rounds after cutting was 50. Then it was 20 for the next 10. Then 14 for the 10 after that. Then 14 for the next 10.

No more blown primers at all. It will blow primers still with a carbine buffer. But not the H3. The two awful groups are from the Carbine Buffer.View attachment 8429281View attachment 8429280View attachment 8429282

Final Outcome:
H3 Buffer
+2 Gas Mod
.086 Gas Port
Shimmed barrel

So, if you had to recommend a course of action if this happens to someone else.....just go with the reamer first?
The +2 gas might be nice, but didn't fix the issue and probably wasn't necessary?
I sure hope that this was a one-off as I just added a 6.5 SFAR to my two .308's and would prefer not to have to go this route!
Thanks!

So, if you had to recommend a course of action if this happens to someone else.....just go with the reamer first?
The +2 gas might be nice, but didn't fix the issue and probably wasn't necessary?
I sure hope that this was a one-off as I just added a 6.5 SFAR to my two .308's and would prefer not to have to go this route!
Thanks!
I have run some numbers.

Peak gas pressure at the port from a +2 gas system is 15.8% less than it is with the rifle gas setup.

Gas pressure has a strange dynamic as you can treat the AR gas system like its a hydraulic system. A flow restrictor, which is what a gas port is, reduces pressure UNLESS the other side of the restrictor reaches equilibrium.

It imparts force on the BCG and if the BCG stays static long enough the force imparted reaches maximum anyway and then the gas starts flowing again when the static inertia is overcome...blah...blah...blah.

Translation - I think it would run just like this with the superlative in blow off mode IF the gas port in the barrel wasn't so fucking huge that the SA can't blow off enough gas to reduce peak pressure even when fully open.

So reducing the gas port size (.103 if I remember right) in the barrel to a .8x something would probably allow your SA block to obviate the need for a +2 gas.

If I were doing this again, my order of operations would have been:
H4 buffer from PWS
Aftermarket Gas from SA
Shrink gas port.
Move gas port.
Reamer.

Okay - update.

No more blown primers at all. It will blow primers still with a carbine buffer. But not the H3.
Final Outcome:
H3 Buffer
+2 Gas Mod
.086 Gas Port
Shimmed barrel
NICE! glad my hunch was right. that's a nice shooter!

Might have to consider one myself....

If I were doing this again, my order of operations would have been:
H4 buffer from PWS
Aftermarket Gas from SA
Shrink gas port.
Move gas port.
Reamer.
Just so I am clear - you sent the rifle back to Ruger and they reamed it. You still had problems so then you reamed it a second time?

Just so I am clear - you sent the rifle back to Ruger and they reamed it. You still had problems so then you reamed it a second time?
No. the factory chamber reaming was done right - but it failed once the barrel was heated enough for a hammer forging impact circle to obturate into the bore. So i reamed it out.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Looks like they use a line hammer. Would look similar in the bore as the bore is round inside.

Neat machine.

At any rate - this is my theory for now. Stress motion in the throat from the forging caused an issue.

Will continue monitoring

Don't know about the percentage of newer ones coming off the line that are DOA but my 308 still isn't "fixed". Polished the chamber, plan to go back but still don't have a lot of free time.

Last time out it shot fantastic for 20-50 rounds with cheap PPU 160-ish or 180-ish bullets then it seized up, the rim got ripped by the extractor and I had to bang the case out with a dowel.

MOT looks like he's got his almost fixed, 6.5 CM

There are a lot of people out there who claim no problems for a long time then, for some, it suddenly it goes off the rails and for others no issues.

I think it's still a crap shoot if you get a "good" one but it's hard to tell because a lot of people buy one then only take it to the range to shoot a box a few times a year.

Reactions: Southernspeed
I think they fixed some issues but in the end it is still a Ruger - you either get a good one or a bad one.
"It's a Ruger" use to mean something positive not it's a gamble if you will get a good one or a bad one! I love Ruger revolvers and the 10/22 however this thread has only reinforced my belief that Ruger can't get an AR style rifle right!

"It's a Ruger" use to mean something positive not it's a gamble if you will get a good one or a bad one! I love Ruger revolvers and the 10/22 however this thread has only reinforced my belief that Ruger can't get an AR style rifle right!
I think it maybe prudent to increase the sampling size of SFAR owners and shooters before deciding it’s a 50/50 gamble.

The internet seldom hears from the guys without issues.

I think it maybe prudent to increase the sampling size of SFAR owners and shooters before deciding it’s a 50/50 gamble.

The internet seldom hears from the guys without issues.
Sure, more participants means more data to validate or invalidate the perceived trend. I'm still negative because of the reviews/opinions outside the Hide that also point to a flawed SFAR. For a $1,050 street price maybe Ruger produced exactly what they wanted. A low cost, lightweight, hard hitting self defense AR meant for short range engagements and not meant for long range shooting where sub-MOA is a must and reusable brass is a money saver for those who reload.

the reviews/opinions outside the Hide that also point to a flawed SFAR

Same from casual observation.

Most documented "successes" are with a couple mags through a pristine gun. Most of the failures turned success are the result of fixing a loose or crooked gas block but usually involve a minimal number of rounds.

Out of the box 100% glowing review is rare except for "unboxing" reviews.

I ended up shimming my barrel extension in the receiver based on another member's experience and it better than halved my groups. Still have the sticktion and case ripping problem.

I tend to think a lot of the people who haven't complained just don't shoot much or only shoot blaster ammo and are happy to hit the 100 yard berm.

Reactions: velocidad247
Same from casual observation.

Most documented "successes" are with a couple mags through a pristine gun. Most of the failures turned success are the result of fixing a loose or crooked gas block but usually involve a minimal number of rounds.

Out of the box 100% glowing review is rare except for "unboxing" reviews.

I ended up shimming my barrel extension in the receiver based on another member's experience and it better than halved my groups. Still have the sticktion and case ripping problem.

I tend to think a lot of the people who haven't complained just don't shoot much or only shoot blaster ammo and are happy to hit the 100 yard berm.
So you are saying Ruger has adopted the Ford Motor company train of thought? I highly doubt that.

So you are saying Ruger has adopted the Ford Motor company train of thought? I highly doubt that.

I'm reasonably sure my comments in the post you quoted were limited to my personal experience, my take on SFAR reviews I've seen plus some postulation on the the gun owning population in general and not the entirety of Ruger the company or their train of thought.

I have no direct insight into the train of thought of Ford Motor company. Explain to me the Ford Motor company train of thought and I'll try to answer that question.

I have no direct insight into the train of thought of Ford Motor company. Explain to me the Ford Motor company train of thought and I'll try to answer that question.
Ford has done this from time to time over the years, that I know of.
Rush a totally new, X _______________ (frame, transmission, engine, ect) into production knowing full well, those who buy based upon spec's is a small segment of the market. Knowing full well the amount of warranty on total units sold will be a pittance vs those who buy on spec. Case in point that most will understand was their 6.0 diesel in 2003. We (the service ind) mostly buy or lease on spec, one of the reasons we (work truck crowd) had the bulk of all warranty issues with them. We used them to spec most all the time, vs the people who never got off road loaded to max or while towing max load, based upon their grade-ability specs. They knew full well there were issues, because of the Cummins & Dodge package but rushed them into production anyway after running the total projected failure numbers, because they still made a high prophet on units sold.
This happens more often than not, with many products but their warranty cost is low, do to most not using to spec. Its a game all mfg's play to some point. I like many happen to catch it more often because I/we buy & use to spec, not a look what I have, type of product.

We bought & leased 15 each, dual wheel Fords, Dodges & Chevys, as work trucks, they all had failings, period.
As a look at me bass boat pullers, or 5 sheets of plywood on Saturday morning, they were just OK, if that at times.

Its a game all mfg's play to some point.

I'm not sure you haven't answered your own question but not with my words.

With a better understanding of what you meant by "company train of thought" I'll offer this.

Ford and Ruger are both publicly traded, high volume, profit oriented companies so I'm sure they cut corners where they can, make design choice trade offs based on manufacturing costs and factor some number of warranty claims into the production/profit equation then try to mitigate as many of those claims as possible with as little effort as possible.

As you say, pretty much all high volume manufacturers play that game to some degree.

It is probably no coincidence that the gas port drilled in the barrel is exactly the same size as the hole for the index pin. Fewer tool changes and maybe get it done in one operation to save cost and time.

There is a video out there somewhere by a guy who seems to know what he's talking about disassembling and critiquing all the machining and design choices that went into the SFAR end product. A couple things Ruger did to reduce weight/size appear to have traded off quality/strength for manufacturing cost reduction.

I'm not saying that's a "BAD" thing but it points to the idea maybe they were not attempting to appeal to a customer looking for a sturdy, hell and back battle rifle.

I sent my SFAR back for warranty with a note that basically said "something not right, primers popping, cases sticking" and provided some sample brass that included popped primers, scarred bases and at least one ripped rim from being stuck in the chamber. The rifle came back with the envelope of brass unopened, a replacement gas block with an even bigger #2 port than the original and a note that effectively said "we slam fired 20 rounds through it with no problem". I've had better warranty service from unlicensed Mexican electricians and plumbers than Ruger.

Did Ruger intentionally rush a bad product to market or was Ruger engineering simple not competent enough to produce a reliable AR in the 10-ish platform? I don't know if either of those are accurate statements, I only know what I'm seeing.

Ruger launched the RPR. They flew off the shelves and were on backorder for like a year.

I got a Gen1 in 6.5 CM and had no problems. My buddy got a Gen2 and his muzzle device was crooked. They could not free it up so he sent it back to Ruger.

Some .308's had muzzle/crown issues. From what I read online Ruger was running the cutters too long.

Ruger launched the SFAR. They flew off the shelves.

Now you have people with loose gas blocks, rifles that will not group, rifles that will not cycle, rifles blowing primers.

IMO the chance of getting a bad RPR is slim. The chance of getting an SFAR without issues is not as good.

Last edited:
Ruger launched the RPR. They flew off the shelves and were on backorder for like a year.

I got a Gen1 in 6.5 CM and had no problems. My buddy got a Gen2 and his muzzle device was crooked. They could not free it up so he sent it back to Ruger.

Some .308's had muzzle/crown issues. From what I read online Ruger was running the cutters too long.

Ruger launched the SFAR. They flew off the shelves.

Now you have people with loose gas blocks, rifles that will not group, rifles that will not cycle, rifles blowing primers.

IMO the chance of getting a bad RPR is slim. The chance of getting an SFAR with issues is not as good.
I think you meant, "The chance of getting an SFAR without issues is not as good".

The SFAR has had grouping issues from day one. People were quick to jump on POF when the Revolution in 6.5 CM had issues. Why? POF was fairly new in the firearms industry and not a household name. Ruger is a household name and they get tons of slack because of it. Ruger and Quality went hand-in-hand so Ruger automatically gets the benefit of the doubt when problems arrise. I applaud Ruger for not being afraid to design and produce. I just believe they sometimes release a product without doing enough field testing first.

Ruger launched the RPR

I completely forgot about the RPR, had that synapse fired I probably wouldn't own a SFAR today.

The SFAR has had grouping issues from day one

My SFAR grouped "OK" with some ammo and not so OK with others.

Shimming my barrel extension in the receiver 100% improved all groups across the board.

I completely forgot about the RPR, had that synapse fired I probably wouldn't own a SFAR today.

My SFAR grouped "OK" with some ammo and not so OK with others.

Shimming my barrel extension in the receiver 100% improved all groups across the board.
I showed and identified the factory ammo my .308 SFAR and .308 RPR both liked and didn’t like.
Both disliked the Milsurp 147gr stuff. They grouped OK at 100 and 200 yds, but acted like a force field was over the targets at 300 yds.

Both liked the 168gr Hornady SuPerformance rounds.
Both liked the 175gr M118LR rounds.
Once that was sorted out - never any issues ever.
The SFAR has about 1,000 rounds through it now, with the last 700 rounds all being 175gr M118LR.
Achieving .5-.6 MOA groups with my old carcass shooting it is better than I ever expected.

I haven’t stretched the legs on the SFAR yet. Nothing past 600 yds so far.

The RPR goes 1000 yds at altitude pretty handily.
I cannot boast it being a .5 MOA rifle at that range with me shooting it - as I’ve yet to shoot it that far without gusting 20-30 mph crosswinds. But hitting the gong out there when others continue to miss with their expensive rifles and hand loads does make me feel a little better about my budget rifle and factory ammo.

My immediate goal is to see how the SFAR does out past 600 yds..... as I keep shooting it every chance I get.

I showed and identified the factory ammo my .308 SFAR and .308 RPR both liked and didn’t like.

I always do this with every rifle, I assume anyone who is even halfway serious about accuracy does the same. Not sure what makes this process special where SFAR is concerned except for the severity of its reaction to what it dislikes.

I've said it before, I'm happy you got one that works. Even if it's only with a limited variety of ammo. I wish Ruger had kept mine and sent me one that works.

I've tried 8 or so different brands/loads of ammo so far ranging from 147gr to 180gr and every last one of them either blows primers in the stock configuration or sticks in the chamber so bad the rim gets torn by the extractor and I have to hammer it out.

Reactions: MadDuner
I am one of the people who really hasn't had issue's with the 20 inch 308 version . it shoot's the cheap ass federal 149 grain Wally World stuff right at a consistent 1.5 moa , Winchester ball ammo you would be better off just throwing the ammo would be more accurate . 168 grain amax fly's very well . 150 grain Remington core -lokt's shoot sub moa and that is where I stopped as I bought this rifle for hunting and I have pretty well run it suppressed 90% of the time . 300 yards is a long shot for me where I live and most of my shot's fall between 150 yds down to 50 yds and a few even closer . deer , the occasional nasty ass feral hog and coyote's so the rifle don't get run like a prs gas gun match . I would think that endeavor could be trouble . I do clean the adjustable gas block which is a pain in the ass but necessary . eventually I am going to change the gas block. The one on my armalite 6.5 creedmoor is so much easier to adjust and tune to the right gas setting . I hope it all gets sorted out for the people who are still having issue's .

I am another in the 20 inch 308 that has no problems. Gun runs good under moa and a nice light, handy rifle.
I am careful with the reloads so the brass doesn't get chewed up.

After my issue with the gas block pressing on the handguard, which Ruger fixed pretty quickly, I really haven't had any major issues with my SFAR. It's a bit hard on brass, but not so much that it i can't reload them multiple times. It's accurate for what it is and it went hunting with me several times last season. It now wears an Aero AGB, and an Aero Breach handguard helped knock the gas down when suppressed.

I have some 277 Fury brass that I'm going to size to .308 to try in it. The steel case head might get roughed up less but that's more to satisfy my curiosity, same reason I'm forming some into 6.5 to try some "6.5 Fury" loads in my Cross. Since someone mentioned the RPR, I got one of the early ones, and it was really an excellent rifle for me, more accurate out the gate than the custom that replaced it, and got really smooth after 3k rds, really should have kept and rebarreled that rifle.

After my issue with the gas block pressing on the handguard

Seems like this would be more common than reported, I wonder if people just don't notice.

When did you buy it? Year/month. Or maybe you can look at the serial to see when it was born.

Just curious. May be the shortest path to success for me is sell this one and try buying another one.

Seems like this would be more common than reported, I wonder if people just don't notice.

When did you buy it? Year/month. Or maybe you can look at the serial to see when it was born.

Just curious. May be the shortest path to success for me is sell this one and try buying another one.
I bought my SFAR in November of '22 and sent it back before shooting it to have the issue with the gas block corrected.

I don't know how common it is, but it's guess that some proportion of accuracy problems some folks have reported we're actually related to this issue. It's a pretty normal thing to check if you're used to piecing together ARs, but maybe folks just aren't looking, or are assuming it will come perfect out of the box (I've had too many Rugers to take that approach).

I did have an issue with the gas block touching the hand guard . I fixed by using a small draw file taped to a dowel rod and removing metal inside the hand guard until I had clearance and some how I hit the bold icon while typing this LOL its easier fixing the rifle than this stupid computer .

I don't know how common it is. ... maybe folks just aren't looking, or are assuming it will come perfect out of the box

That's actually earlier than I bought mine. Maybe by the time they got around to making mine the reamer was worn and chipped so I go the extra special bonus problems.

In the early reviews online the gas block being loose or crooked or contacting the hand guard seemed to be the most common issue.

I tend to think a lot of people buy guns, load them and take them straight to the range without any kind of inspection or cleaning.

Reactions: lash
That's actually earlier than I bought mine. Maybe by the time they got around to making mine the reamer was worn and chipped so I go the extra special bonus problems.

In the early reviews online the gas block being loose or crooked or contacting the hand guard seemed to be the most common issue.

I tend to think a lot of people buy guns, load them and take them straight to the range without any kind of inspection or cleaning.
Um, shouldn’t this be the expectation of any new manufactured product? I mean, I didn’t put my new truck up on a rack before I drove it off the lot. I didn’t disassembly my new refrigerator before I plugged it in. I didn’t even sharpen the blades in the new cartridge I used to shave my head.

Inspection? Most gun owners don’t have the specialized tools necessary to say anything beyond, “screws are tight, bore is free of obstructions, finish looks good.” And, while loose screws could certainly be an issue, that’s the equivalent of “low tire pressure.”

And here we are, on page 22 of a thread about the SFAR, on a forum dedicated to serious marksmen, reading about problems in countered mostly at the range. Presumably these serious marksmen are inspecting their firearms, right? So, if these serious marksmen aren’t finding serious issues with their “new firearm inspection,” what’s the point?

I laugh every time I pick up a new firearm. There’s always that moment of “ok, we need you to inspect this firearm, right here in the store, without any tools, and without really manipulating it in any way. Remember, all transfers are final.” I’m always “yup, that’s what I ordered. Next…”

Reactions: BCP and lash
Um, shouldn’t this be the expectation of any new manufactured product?

Yeah, sure.

Doesn't take any "specialized tools" for the equivalent of a field strip or a simple break down for a thorough cleaning and mechanical inspection or visually checking the bore for debris. Anybody who can't do this much I hesitate to say should even own a gun.

A gas block that's loose enough to move by poking your finger through the hand guard doesn't require gunsmith level skilz but I guess not everybody on the planet has pinkies so maybe we can consider them specialized tools.

if these serious marksmen aren’t finding serious issues with their “new firearm inspection,” what’s the point?

As usual, you're right, there is no point to inspections and cleaning. Just load'em up and shoot'em up until they stop going bang and buy a new one.

My point is that unless you are someone like SOTAR on YouTube (with the gauges and tech specs on hand), all that disassembly of a new firearm tells you is that it comes apart and all of the pieces are there- if you know what you are looking for.

Most people that have a bore scope should throw them away, as they work themselves into a tizzy chasing ghosts. That leaves simple tools that fit in a range bag.

Finding a loose screw or even a wobbly gas block at the range isn’t really a noteworthy event. It’s more of a “hmm, I need to tighten that down now, and maybe lock tight it when I get home.” It’s not a “I gotta get on the hide and report that 3 of 8 screws on my AR handguard were loose” kind of event. So, for me, anything that would be found by this inspection and needs to be addressed, can be done so at the range.

The larger issues that have been reported are only encountered at the range.

My minimum expectation is that a new firearm is mechanically sound; which is not to say that it performs to my expectations.

Spending any meaningful time rechecking the work of the manufacturer is wasted effort and time that could have been used elsewhere, or wasted money that could have gone toward a better built product.

Its a Ruger. A Ruger semi-auto AR platform gun. In the past at least I was always amazed when they ran, not when they broke.
I have to wonder why you would torture yourself by buying Ruger if that's your expectation?

I have over 20 Ruger firearms - and have yet to experience any issues except for a failed extractor spring on a P-85 handgun with 40,000+ rounds through it. I re-bent the spring and still shoot it at least once a month. Like most of the Ruger products - it's a tank.

I have to wonder why you would torture yourself by buying Ruger if that's your expectation?

I have over 20 Ruger firearms - and have yet to experience any issues except for a failed extractor spring on a P-85 handgun with 40,000+ rounds through it. I re-bent the spring and still shoot it at least once a month. Like most of the Ruger products - it's a tank.
Expirementation is the haven of the bored, and I am bored.