• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger SFAR small frame 308, 6.8 pounds

Thank you very much, I'll read through that today. Any idea whether a 5.56 bolt will fit in the BCG? Maybe it's addressed in that thread.

Although upper and lower pin holes 'would' align, they can't because the bolt release is in the way. Even if you removed half the width of the bolt release, I don't think it'll work on the AR bolt. FCG is in the wrong place plus the SFAR lower is slightly wider than an AR so the upper doesn't sit on the lower properly. I can't close the upper/lower due to the bolt release being in the way but it looks like you'd have a small gap at the rear too.
As far as I can tell , the SFAR and AR bolt locking lugs are different so it's not like you can try swapping them around.
That's really useful, thanks! I wonder if the bolt release could be switched to a standard AR one. It looks to me like it's just wider than the standard one. Maybe the MDWS thread will address this question.

What COAL are you hoping for? I've gotten to 2.42 on a standard small frame lower.
88gr ELDMs and 90gr VLDs require 2.6+" COAL and about .25" freebore. 75gr ELDMs can probably be fired from a standard Wylde chamber and about 2.45-2.5" COAL.

Although upper and lower pin holes 'would' align, they can't because the bolt release is in the way. Even if you removed half the width of the bolt release, I don't think it'll work on the AR bolt. FCG is in the wrong place plus the SFAR lower is slightly wider than an AR so the upper doesn't sit on the lower properly. I can't close the upper/lower due to the bolt release being in the way but it looks like you'd have a small gap at the rear too.
As far as I can tell , the SFAR and AR bolt locking lugs are different so it's not like you can try swapping them around.View attachment 8085669View attachment 8085670View attachment 8085671View attachment 8085672View attachment 8085673
Yeah, I'm assuming the FCG/bolt release etc being back is why he had to mill material further back when prepping an AR-15 upper for use. The first one he did didn't leave much material and got super thin in spots...but I think he found others left him more material to work with...again, I don't think it's impossible, but not just a pin in and go solution

Attachments

• bear creek 1.jpg
    bear creek 1.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Southernspeed
Yeah, I'm assuming the FCG/bolt release etc being back is why he had to mill material further back when prepping an AR-15 upper for use. The first one he did didn't leave much material and got super thin in spots...but I think he found others left him more material to work with...again, I don't think it's impossible, but not just a pin in and go solution
Just got to that page and saw those pictures. I'll keep reading through. Thank you!

What mag? Did you cut a channel in the front?
Started with ASC stainless, notched it to get 2.37ish, then mirrored that notch in my magwell and bottom edge of the barrel extension. I've posted pictures of it here before, can't remember where though and I no longer have pics on my phone.
Ran great, although I never threw it in mud or anything, it wasn't a duty rifle. 75ELD's at 2900 or so feet per second from a 22" barrel is in a whole different league than normal 5.55 loads.

Reactions: LRRPF52 and s11033
Does anyone here have both the POF Rogue and the Ruger SFAR? I am curious how the two actually compare to each other.

Reactions: XP1K and BCP
Not too sure this thing could take a heavy beating with 175s and 190s over time and with heat. Bolt face looks scrawny compared to SR25 and friends.

Anyone running a 16in chopped from a 20in? Suppressed?

Do the bolts interchange from the Pof

Reactions: Scott037
I’m still on the fence. Looks like a great all around rifle with 16 inch barrel. Slap a carry handle on it, and a LMT front sight and it would be perfect.

Not too sure this thing could take a heavy beating with 175s and 190s over time and with heat. Bolt face looks scrawny compared to SR25 and friends.
It uses exotic aerospace alloys for the bolt and barrel extension, similar to what FN did with the SCAR-H.

POF did the same thing with their bolt in the Revolution and Rogue.

The SCAR-H bolt is very small for a 7.62 NATO weapon, while the SCAR-L bolt is slightly larger than an AR-15 bolt.

It uses exotic aerospace alloys for the bolt and barrel extension, similar to what FN did with the SCAR-H.

POF did the same thing with their bolt in the Revolution and Rogue.

The SCAR-H bolt is very small for a 7.62 NATO weapon, while the SCAR-L bolt is slightly larger than an AR-15 bolt.
I don’t believe I have seen any bolt failures from the Pof so it seems to be working. Hopefully the small frame catches on and more manufactures jump in.

Multiple reviews talk about the rifles being a 2 MOA gun...1.5 MOA at best.

And every one I have watched mentions (or alludes to) function issues.
Does there seem to be any difference between reviews of the 16" and reviews of the 20" in this regard?

Three of the contributors at TFB purchased SFAR's. IIRC:
- One shot MOA or better and had no issues.
- One shot 2 MOA and had some initial issues that went away after more use
- One shot like 4 MOA and would not cycle ammo properly

It seems to me with Ruger you either get a good one or lemon.

YMMV

Unfortunately they mostly seem to be very picky about ammo. Mine is anything from 2 to 5 moa with various factory loads but 3/4 moa with home loads ( after much experimentation!)

I’m a little bit curious why there’s so much discussion regarding long range precision around this rifle. It’s a low price point, readily accessible small frame .308 AR platform. It is not, nor does it pretend to be a precision match rifle.

This totally could fill a niche that is open, without ever having to be a precision rifle.

"CAN" be still in the torso and even then, just barely.

Be off a little from center by just a little left or right and you miss entirely.

That’s fine. It’s not a precision rifle. I like to have an AR-10 for its ability to turn cover into concealment.

Reactions: lash
That’s fine. It’s not a precision rifle. I like to have an AR-10 for its ability to turn cover into concealment.
No problem and it does a fine job at that. Was just clarifying what 2moa really meant at the distance you gave.

Last edited:
I’m a little bit curious why there’s so much discussion regarding long range precision around this rifle. It’s a low price point, readily accessible small frame .308 AR platform. It is not, nor does it pretend to be a precision match rifle.

This totally could fill a niche that is open, without ever having to be a precision rifle.
Because it has the ability to reach out and touch somebody at 800yds, so it would be nice if it could actually consistently hit things at said distance. With a 2moa rifle you can do everything right and still miss your target at 800yds. With a 1moa rifle the odds are much more in your favor of getting a hit.

If all you want is something to blast through barriers at shorter distances and throw fireballs then get the 16" and have at it.

Reactions: velocidad247
Yep, so even aiming dead center means you can miss a human torso.

I agree with you on that. However, hit probability is still high enough for 2 MOA to be good enough for me for a $1,000, 16” barreled, inconsistent QC, mass produced small frame 308.

I stopped at 800 yards because hit probability drops significantly beyond that due to the platform’s limitations. Plus, everyone knows that the 308 drops straight to the ground at 801 yards.

Vertical dispersion of 2 MOA is a hit, it’s the horizontal that’ll get your misses, lol.

Also, the world is fatter.

Reactions: BCP and lash
Because it has the ability to reach out and touch somebody at 800yds, so it would be nice if it could actually consistently hit things at said distance. With a 2moa rifle you can do everything right and still miss your target at 800yds. With a 1moa rifle the odds are much more in your favor of getting a hit.

If all you want is something to blast through barriers at shorter distances and throw fireballs then get the 16" and have at it.

So no use for it at 700, 600, 500, 400, 300, or 200 yards?

Also, there is no reason to be rude.

Well if Bigfatcock says there's no reason to be rude.....

It is silly to apply the SH LR precision standards to a cheap .308 small frame AR, but then again this is The Hide.... My copy is plenty accurate for the general purpose rifle/hunting uses I bought it for with handloads and at least one factory load I've tried. Wouldn't try to use it for PRS gas gun or whatever, wrong caliber, wrong weight, wrong setup in general, horses for courses.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I have not stretched the legs on my 20” SFAR, but it’s looking like it will perform well out to .308 ammo distances. It likes the 168gr Hornady SuperFormance.

Reactions: lash and JS8588
I asked this in another SFAR thread on another site and never really received an answer.

The SFAR's are going for ~$1k. I can get a POF Rogue for ~$1600.

Does anyone on here have experience with both rifles that can say the Rogue is worth the extra $600 or not?

I asked this in another SFAR thread on another site and never really received an answer.

Does anyone on here have experience with both rifles that can say the Rogue is worth the extra $600 or not?
I don’t own either, so for what it’s worth, this will normally be a subjective question and answer situation. It depends a lot upon what your intended use and expectations are.

I expect there will be someone along soon with a more informed opinion with actual reasons.

I don’t own either, so for what it’s worth, this will normally be a subjective question and answer situation. It depends a lot upon what your intended use and expectations are.

I expect there will be someone along soon with a more informed opinion with actual reasons.
For the Ruger it seems to be the typical Ruger - you either get a good one or a bad one. I have seen reports of guys shooting MOA and they run fine to rifles that shoot all over the place and will not reliably function.

I do not like all the holes Ruger put in the upper receiver and bolt carrier. I know why they did it but I think they could be a point of failure also.

With POF there rifles have been out longer so they should have been able to fix any issues that came up with earlier production guns.

With the way things are going in the world I want something that is going to run and keep on running right out of the box.

I was debating this a short time ago. After watching a bunch of videos of bad rogues, if I was spending the money, I'd gamble on the ruger.

I was Gung-ho for an sfar when they first came out but now that I've had time to cool off a bit I'm thinking about bailing on the large frame altogether and just staying with 223/5.56.

For the distances I will encounter in my ao, the 5.56 with a 77gr will handle it. If I know I'm going for a longer shot, I'll break out the bolt guns.

@EzGoingKev

So your question was more rhetorical than anything? Or are you just looking for someone’s input to verify what you believe, and that could be true?

I’m also interested to hear what is said.

With the way things are going in the world I want something that is going to run and keep on running right out of the box.

Except for the LMT and SR25 these rifles are hobby rifles. My 716i is in the hands of ~100k screaming indians so maybe it counts too.

Ruger vs POF the ruger is the better hobby rifle and being 30-40% less makes it a no brainer.

If you are thinking SHTF stuff a 5.56 AR15 is the path of least resistance. Same if you want to do a carbine course or just plink around. Much cheaper ammo, lighter rifle, less recoil.

Reactions: XP1K and lash

Isn’t that Rogue price for upper only?
I’ve not had a POF but if they can shoot all types of factory ammo accurately, they’re already way ahead of the Ruger!

I had a Rogue and currently have an SFAR. I couldn't really give you a reason to pay $600 more for the rogue. The fit and finish may be a tiny bit better on the Rogue, but it's arguable and if you have to use the customer service, Rugers is better. The Rogue is a little bit lighter, but by the time I changed out the muzzle device and added a dictator AGB, it was up to 6.25 lbs, add a better stock to get it fully up to parity with the SFAR feature wise and it's going to be near the same weight.

I'm hoping that the Ruger will get some aftermarket support someday, not too likely with the POF.

Here are the weights on mine setup somewhat similarly to how I have my Ruger setup.
IMG_20200604_210409377~01.jpg
IMG_20200602_134240695~01.jpg
IMG_20200604_210451250~01.jpg

I don't have the Ruger SFAR. This started life as a .308 pistol (12 inch barrel) and I had POF change the barrel to 16 inches. It is still very light and haven't had any problems. I sent it to POF to have my suppressor tuned to the rifle. They did it for free and shipped it back at their cost . Their Customer service has been very good so far. I have a .308 RPR and really like it. Both brands have been good to me. I run it suppressed

Attachments

• 20230607_203452.jpg
    20230607_203452.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Going to order one of these with 16” barrel this weekend. I’ll put a Steiner P4XI with G1 reticle on it since Eurooptic is blowing those out for $499 and I ordered 2 of them so my other AR-10 has one too.

Will probably go with the 30mm mount from American Rifle Company.

Going to order one of these with 16” barrel this weekend. I’ll put a Steiner P4XI with G1 reticle on it since Eurooptic is blowing those out for $499 and I ordered 2 of them so my other AR-10 has one too.

Will probably go with the 30mm mount from American Rifle Company.
that'll be a good set up. I've got a viper PST 2 on mine and when it gets dark. I put the thermal on it. I'm smashing hogs with my SFAR. I'm unlikely to use anything else for a good while.

I've been running 6.8 and 556 for years but the 308 just knocks them down better

Reactions: JimmyT and lash
I don't have the Ruger SFAR. This started life as a .308 pistol (12 inch barrel) and I had POF change the barrel to 16 inches. It is still very light and haven't had any problems. I sent it to POF to have my suppressor tuned to the rifle. They did it for free and shipped it back at their cost . Their Customer service has been very good so far. I have a .308 RPR and really like it. Both brands have been good to me. I run it suppressed
The Revolution is in another league compared to the Ruger and even its little brother, the POF Rogue. You should just be able to adjust the gas to get it to run with a suppressor, no need to send it in. There's five different settings with the piston setup, two are for suppressed. You can even turn the gas off altogether with their system.