• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger SR-556 2 days, 1k rounds hmmmm

Kells81

Slacker
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 15, 2006
    Granbury TX
    So got home from Iraq for a few days. While there had momma pick me up a Ruger SR556. Gotta say, its not a bad little rig, but its not the complete package. The rifle itself is smooth, I was looking for another XCR when I ran accross this and am glad I picked it up to try out.

A couple downfalls I found with this rig, There is no front sling swivle attachment point. and the gas block is not completely lined up with the rail and upper.

The trigger is the best single stage factory trigger I have ever pulled, breaks constantly at 3 pounds according to the scale, doesnt have alot of creep or overtravel.

Now I cleaned this rifle before the 1st range trip and wasnt pulled apart until 1k rounds were downrange. Used 5 different makers/types of magazines. Colt, Pmag, Brownells, Cproducts, Center. I did have trouble on the first mag to come through this rifle, Every other round would not fully seat. After the first 6 rounds it settled down and didnt have another single hiccup. I think it is because the buffer tube was new and didnt have the worne down spots. Which Really wore down!

Anyway 2 days, 1000 Rounds of federal Walmart Value pack 55 FMJ. fun with friends and family.

Pics of course
    DSCN0881.JPG

DSCN0879.JPG

DSCN08781.JPG

DSCN08771.JPG

DSCN08761.JPG

DSCN08751.JPG

DSCN0874.JPG

Re: Ruger SR-556 2 days, 1k rounds hmmmm

Congrats. That is some serious carrier tilt. Hopefully it will just smooth out. I had some minor marks on my Buffer tube on my LMT MRP Piston Upper, but nothing like that. If it gets worse, I'd contact Ruger. YOu should be able to unscrew the Troy Handguard and re-align the handguard if you want to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats. That is some serious carrier tilt. Hopefully it will just smooth out. I had some minor marks on my Buffer tube on my LMT MRP Piston Upper, but nothing like that. If it gets worse, I'd contact Ruger. YOu should be able to unscrew the Troy Handguard and re-align the handguard if you want to. </div></div>

the handguard is pinned on, it lines up great with the upper, its the gas block that is a tad off. And yeah I plan on running another 1k rounds through it to see if the tilt has leveled out or if I will need to have some spare buffer tubes laying around. I knew tilt was a problem on piston guns, but damn

If you have any problems zeroing your irons with the Troy on the gas block, you can always move it onto the Handguards. Did you get a chance to test the accuracy?

Most Piston AR's, even the ones with the new 1-pice carriers with the pads, will have a slight carrier tilt, but it is generally very mild and it evens out after a few hundred rounds. Yours is too much. Also check for other premature wear signs in the upper receiver as there may be something misaligned.

Did not test for accuracy, was hitting paper plates and whatever at 100 with no prob, Maybe next time I will add an optic and see how she groups.

Since the stock isnt the factory stock ruger prolly wont want to do much about it. only way they will get it back is if something breaks in the upper, since damn near none of it is standard. A-2 buffer tubes are like 10-15 bux dealer through brownells so no biggie on the replacement. The carbine tubes however are more for mil-spec and would be bitchen them if I would need to replace that at 2500'ish rounds, unless it settles down I am not sure the rifle tube will make 2k. The whole point is to push this rifle to failure.

Gasblock Rail alignment, not bad but it is off a tad
    DSCN08951.JPG

And people asked to see how the key was treating the upper, so have shots of that too.
    DSCN0894.JPG

DSCN08931.JPG