• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Ruger sr1911 or SA loaded

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hi, im saving for my first 1911. I have heard good things about both guns but I have yet to handle either and havent seen the ruger in stock anywhere. These arnt my only to pistols im considering, but that is the price range I am willing to spend, going to get some 45 reloading stuff as well. Any opinions would be helpful.

Re: Ruger sr1911 or SA loaded

SA Loaded models are great pistols. That's the option I went with about a year and a half ago and I've really enjoyed it.

The husband had a lot of choices on the approved list for a duty carry 1911. His last 4 years as a LEO was with a Springfield Loaded. He changed 3 things on it- Refinished in satin black Gunkote over parkerized steel, Triji night sights, and fully checkered cocobolo grips instead of the double diamond walnut SA logo ones.

The only ruger he's ever owned since I've known him was a 10/22, and that was given to him.

Good luck finding the Ruger. I have only seen a couple in real life and I don't think any have left the factory for months.

My vote is for the SA loaded. It's rather inexpensive (for a 1911) and my has been great with over 3k rounds through it. It feeds my lswc loads and gold dots/hst/golden sabers fine.

I had a SA champion 1911 that I bobtailed. I used a mill and the Ed Brown jig to punch the new hole for the MSH and then went to work on the frame with a bench grinder, dremel, and sand paper. I almost got sick when I started grinding the frame. It was a sweet gun and I didn't have any problems with it, but I moved onto something else. Bobtail'ed 1911s aren't for everyone, but I like it. For your consideration:

DSCN1579.jpg

DSCN1577.jpg

DSCN1584.jpg

I sure didn't get sick looking at it. NICE WORK!!!!

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coryj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a SA champion 1911 that I bobtailed. I used a mill and the Ed Brown jig to punch the new hole for the MSH and then went to work on the frame with a bench grinder, dremel, and sand paper.

DSCN1579.jpg

</div></div>

Get the loaded. Mine has had the front strap checkered, new grips (not that the old ones sucked), and heinie sights.

102rrzk.jpg

Josh

Can't go wrong with either, but I would go with the loaded just on the previous experience I've had with S.A. Customer service.