• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger77/22-...who here has one

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Anyone here have a ruger77/22 set up as a scoped precsion trainer? What stock options are out there?

Re: Ruger77/22-...who here has one

Maybe I'm missing it. But I do not see a ruger 77/22 stock listed on their web sites ....?

Ruger has this thing of leaving WAY TOO MUCH wood for pressure on the barrel. It has been my experience that if you float the barrel
reseal the wood and bed it you will be surprised at the difference.
I took a chance and had mine cut , threaded , re-crowned and Cera-koated....shot groups went from 3 inches to .500
Guns are like females....do you want looks,performance or both.

You can get the magnum rimfire varmint stock as a drop in for the 77/22 (listed under hunting stocks) from McMillan. Its more of a varmint style than a tactical stock, but I like mine.

Sure,

Call George of Sonoran Custom Gunstocks and Duplicating.

http://markbondffl.com/marks-photo-firearm-photo-gallery/?pid=485

http://markbondffl.com/sonoran-custom-gunstocks-and-duplicating/

If the discussion heads off into "you need more numbers" well count me in for another couple. In fact, you could probably raise a number of folks around here to order one. Let me know how it goes. Good guy.

Having said that, hogging out Ruger's early all weather for free float has worked well.

I have a 77/22 in .22 Hornet set up in one of our Rimfire Magnum Varmint stocks with a 4x12 good scope on it. Factory barrel was about 2 moa at best, a new custom barrel brought it down to the 1 to 1.5 moa range. Not the most accurate Hornet I have but plenty good for varmints in the Hornet ranges.

Volquartsen makes a laminate stock, I use one. Its standard Volq. quality, nothing fancy, much better than Ruger's offering and cheaper than a McMillan.

https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/33-ruger-77-22,34-stocks

McMillan's fiberglass stock for the 77/22 is the jam, but your gonna pay as much or more for your stock as you did the rifle.

Look all the way at the bottom of the page, the "rim fire Magnum Varmint" stock:

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-hunting-stock-list.php?subnav=branch2e

P.S. If you ever get one in .22 Hornet don't re-chamber it to .22 K-Hornet. K-Hornet brass will not feed thru the rotary magazine. I had to put a new barrel on it to get it back to a repeater.

I would save up for the mcmillan RMV and skip the volquartsen I had one before and did not like the "feel" of it especially in the grip area. Not easy to drop that many $ on a rimfire but for me worth it.

I made my 77/22 a project gun and bedded it in a 700 REM stock, rebarreled with a heavy barrel and put a mil mil scope with 20 MOA base and shoot to 300 yds. If you have the time and desire cost is minimal.

I used to have one...many years ago. I went with a Anschutz Silhouette from McMillan...they did the inletting.

Just because McMillan doesn't list it as a pre-fit, doesn't mean they don't have it or can't do it.

or maybe go with the following

http://rifle-stocks.com/proneculbertson.htm

Manners can fit it into one of their tactical stocks, but you may need to call them. It won't be cheap but it will be sweet!

Yes, there is a distinct lack of aftermarket stocks for these unfortunately.

Wasn't there a hide member, CPT Kirk maybe, who was making a tactical trainer stock for these? Anyone know what happened?

Will McMillan inlet an A3 or A5 for the 77/22?

Thanks!

77/22(17 HMR) in McMillan RMV

7722-1_zps3b81dbaf.jpg

7722-2_zpsa07e79d6.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gehrm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, there is a distinct lack of aftermarket stocks for these unfortunately.

Wasn't there a hide member, CPT Kirk maybe, who was making a tactical trainer stock for these? Anyone know what happened?

Will McMillan inlet an A3 or A5 for the 77/22?

Thanks!</div></div>

call them and find out.

When I had mine, they didn't make one and nothing was listed on their sight. However one call to them (yes actually using a phone for what it's intended for) got my Anschutz inlet for the 77/22. I'd say make a phone call...(Hint- e-mail is not phone)

Be aware that there are two factory barrel contours on these rifles, the standard 20" sporter barrel and the 24" target barrel. Be specific if you order a stock. We recently had a couple of stock come back that were just ordered for the "factory barrel" that actually had the larger 24" target barrels on them.

To update the curious: the response I received from McMillan was that the 77/22 has a very shallow action and will not fit in any of the centerfire tactical stocks. They pointed me to the RMV although I did not ask if other stocks could be inletted for the 77/22.

Ruger22_crop1%281%29.jpg

SK Black Laminate Sporter Stock
Ruger Receiver
Lilja SS Sporter Barrel 20”
Volquartsen Competition Bolt
Volquartsen TG-2000 trigger
Burris Sig Series Rings with posi-inserts
Sightron Scope 4x16x42 AO

I know this is an old thread but since someone dug it up here is mine. Bushnell AR series 4.5-18x optics. I've got verified dope out to 225 with SK ammo, nice and quiet stuff.

1039916_4454053248450_91771202_o.jpg

Bought a stock for the 77/22 I gave my son from Richard's microfit. Not highest on CS list, but inlet was right and price wasn't out of line.

Nice timing of seeing this thread. While I'm looking for a new stock for my 77/17 hmr with heavy short barrel. Nice to find a few newlinks I haven't seen for stocks, thanks

Anyone have a pic of the
Boyds.....with an action and barrel installed!?