• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rugged Razor 5.56 or AB Warthog 5.56

B Man

Little Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2010
South side of Big River
Wanting a dedicated 5.56 suppressor for my AR. Noise, size, weight, least back pressure (gas in my face) are my requirements. These seem to fit it well. Anyone used them?

My experience has favored the Warthog over the Razor. The Razor was louder on the same barrel length host, and had more visible flash. 11.5" guns.

Reactions: B Man

What was your overall thoughts on the warthog? Any you prefer more?

I have a Warthog pending now, based on the performance I've seen next to other 5.56 cans (Razor, Saker, Sierra,). It weighs almost half of my Saker 556, but sounds better to my ear, if anything.
I don't know that I would run it on a belt fed machine gun like I would a Saker or Razor, but that's not my use case.

As mentioned above, the OC Polonium has also been very well received. I haven't shot one side by side with a Warthog, so I can't offer direct comparison, but it did very well in the PEW Science testing and sounded nice to my ear on an indoor range.

The OCL polonium has higher back pressure/more gas to the face than the other two from test I’ve read. Trying to avoid that if possible.

The OCL polonium has higher back pressure/more gas to the face than the other two from test I’ve read. Trying to avoid that if possible.
That's thr conclusion I came to as well. The Polonium would probably be killer on a dedicated .223 bolt gun, or highly tuned hunting semi (11.5" midlength with a AGB which won't run unsuppressed).

That's thr conclusion I came to as well. The Polonium would probably be killer on a dedicated .223 bolt gun, or highly tuned hunting semi (11.5" midlength with a AGB which won't run unsuppressed).
Actually, it is no more gas in the face than my Sandman-S cans from my personal experiences. Don't always believe everything you read on the interwebz. And also, while I respect Jay's work and think he's doing great things, he's also only testing these cans on 1 platform. Everyone's setups are different, and what may have been gassy on his setup, might not be on yours. On mine it's not. That rifle is running a standard non-adjustable GB, carbine gas, and an H2 buffer...Nothing special, or what I'd consider "highly tuned". And it runs fine both suppressed and unsuppressed. Brass still ejects at 3 o'clock, and I've noticed no difference in gas or back pressure between my Polonium and my Sandman-S cans.

Would you ever consider a 30 cal can? They give less gas to the face and sound a bit better then dedicated 5.56 cans.
They might give less gas to the face from reduced back pressure in the bore, but they definitely don't sound better on a 5.56, than a 5.56 dedicated suppressor. The dedicated 5.56 suppressor will almost always sound better, and have lower muzzle numbers.

Actually, it is no more gas in the face than my Sandman-S cans from my personal experiences. Don't always believe everything you read on the interwebz. And also, while I respect Jay's work and think he's doing great things, he's also only testing these cans on 1 platform. Everyone's setups are different, and what may have been gassy on his setup, might not be on yours. On mine it's not. That rifle is running a standard non-adjustable GB, carbine gas, and an H2 buffer...Nothing special, or what I'd consider "highly tuned". And it runs fine both suppressed and unsuppressed. Brass still ejects at 3 o'clock, and I've noticed no difference in gas or back pressure between my Polonium and my Sandman-S cans.

I wish I had the opportunity to lay some out on a table and test them myself to choose but I don’t have that option and have to rely on actual test and folks who have ran them and actually sound like they know what they are doing and experiencing. I’m a left handed shooter shooting right hand guns, so the amount of gas in my face is far more noticeable than a right handed shooter is why it’s so high on my list.

I wish I had the opportunity to lay some out on a table and test them myself to choose but I don’t have that option and have to rely on actual test and folks who have ran them and actually sound like they know what they are doing and experiencing. I’m a left handed shooter shooting right hand guns, so the amount of gas in my face is far more noticeable than a right handed shooter is why it’s so high on my list.
Do whatever you think is right. Best of luck to you.

Do whatever you think is right. Best of luck to you.
That part you highlighted wasn’t referring to you if it came off that way in text. Just explaining how I came to the conclusion of it having more gas/back pressure

I really appreciate your input and advice to look into it more.

Last edited:
You just gotta try it. I’m sure you can find YouTube videos or numbers that support it as well. I have both and it’s less gas to the face and sounds slightly better, deeper tone. I still wear ear pro with a suppressor after I shot 600ish rounds and noticed ear pain as I drove home.
The tone has more to do with the materials, density, thickness of the walls & baffles, and baffle design of the suppressors, not the bore diameter. I also own both, and have put thousands of rounds through my cans. The only 2 things that bore diameter really does different on a 5.56, is muzzle DB volume, and back pressure...That's it.

There's plenty of YouTube videos on my channel. My next video will be of just this subject, as I was already planning on doing a Sandman-S vs. Polonium video.

The tone has more to do with the materials, density, thickness of the walls & baffles, and baffle design of the suppressors, not the bore diameter.

Tone is significantly influenced by flow rate - much more so than materials and wall thicknesses (which contribute relatively small effects to the overall sound profile).

Reactions: AMGtuned
Tone is significantly influenced by flow rate - much more so than materials and wall thicknesses (which contribute relatively small effects to the overall sound profile).
True, but why do 2 different .30 cal cans sound totally different when shot on the same gun? They’re both .30 caliber suppressors on a .30 caliber host… By that extrapolation, they should sound at least somewhat similar…But they don’t. Example…. Sandman-S and Nomad-30 don’t sound at all alike. They’re both .30 caliber, similar lengths, and made by the same company.

True, but why do 2 different .30 cal cans sound totally different when shot on the same gun? They’re both .30 caliber suppressors on a .30 caliber host… By that extrapolation, they should sound at least somewhat similar…But they don’t. Example…. Sandman-S and Nomad-30 don’t sound at all alike. They’re both .30 caliber, similar lengths, and made by the same company.
Because the internal geometry isn't at all similar between the Sandman and Nomad.

Because the internal geometry isn't at all similar between the Sandman and Nomad.
Then we are in agreement that baffle design, internal volume, and build materials make the biggest difference in tone, not so much the bore diameter.

Then we are in agreement that baffle design, internal volume, and build materials make the biggest difference in tone, not so much the bore diameter.

Fo8PYR7aUAM_u-k.png

Wanting a dedicated 5.56 suppressor for my AR. Noise, size, weight, least back pressure (gas in my face) are my requirements. These seem to fit it well. Anyone used them?
I know you didn’t list it but have you looked at Huxwrx, flow through design. I’m wanting to get a 762ti or flow556k since I shoot left hand on standard ARs and blowback is high on my list .

Just to update, I left the shop with three suppressors in jail today. Two AB warthog 5.56 & One Warthog 7.62.
I’m three months in on my wait for one of each. It‘s been a long three months so far.

Noise, size, weight, least back pressure (gas in my face) are my requirements. These seem to fit it well. Anyone used them?

Size weight lower backpressure I'd look at the oss flow 556k or polonium k.

If you don't really want to tune oss is the easy button. Polo K is a good option if you don't mind tuning.

I’m going to try and not think about it more than I have to…. It’ll bother me more when hunting season gets here for the 30cal can I’m sure
Yeah, I try not to think about it, but I fail.

Stopped in the gun shop for a conjugal visit….. then left them to just be locked back away.

Anyone ran the Rifles only HAD suppressor covers?

Attachments

• BED15B79-F6DE-4994-8627-8D6AB5868DFF.jpeg
    BED15B79-F6DE-4994-8627-8D6AB5868DFF.jpeg
    543.2 KB · Views: 60