• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruggedized PDA and ballistic software

sideshowbob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2007
in, USA
Does anyone use a ruggedized PDA with ballistic software? It seems that the TDS Recon with Nightforce Ballistic Software is the most common. Can anyone chime in with their experience? The Amrel line of rugged PDAs look really promising, especially when coupled with a GPS receiver.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Ruggedized PDA and ballistic software

i went my own route , using the dell PDA x3i, put it in a OTTER box, that is made for that PDA and still allows me to operate it

and i use the PATAGONIA BALLISTICS software suite, so i have identical software and data on my laptop as well

it works like a champ and for WAY less money

about $500 in the whole thing

I run the TDS Nomad and FFS, which permits the use of the internal GPS and interface to the LRF. Everything is on the SD card, so I can use it on any PDA, like my little Ipaq 211 when I don't need the Nomad.

Vector IV is what I'm using, but I've tested the PLRF and know others using the Newcon.

I also went my own route and am using and am using a HP Ipaq in an Otterbox and am using the Horus AtragMX. I've used this under actual field conditions packed in my ruck, drag bag, and on long trips and is totally reliable. The battery life is great and I also bought a spare battery that has come in handy. A bad scenario is when both batteries die but I also have a solar charger that I use with the included mini usb cable, very small but handy package. I alo have the NF program on my laptop but I like the AtragMX so much more. Just personal preference for me

I read about this one lately and it might be a good unit to have. I dont know if its released yet but, and I havent use the horus program, "fell free to chime in with ya's or na's" but if the program is any count I think this would be good way to go. Its supposed to be cheaper than a PDA + program so it might be a good balance between reasonable cost and usability.

LINK- www.nkhome.com/wp/tag/horus/