• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Runaway Prius Guy's Story Seems a Bit Shaky to Me

G

By now you have to have seen this guy on some news program or another.
He claims that his Prius went haywire and had him going down the freeway at 94 mph with no way of stopping it.

He drove for 20 minutes like this and called 911 for help.
A highway patrol car finally pulled alongside of him and use the PA to tell him to press the brakes and pull the emergency brake at the same time.

Then the patrolman got in front of him and used his vehicle to get him stopped.

The driver makes several interesting claims:

1. He says that he took his vehicle in for recall service several weeks prior and was sent away by the dealership.

2. In the Fox News video, he claims that he was afraid to turn the car off, because he didn't know if he would be able to control it with the power off.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yoAgIVPTIvk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yoAgIVPTIvk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

3. In another clip, he said that he was afraid to shift the car into neutral because he was afraid it might go into reverse.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Local-woman-on-her-Prius-Neutral-doesnt-work-in-this-car-87164762.html
Don't even get me started about that dumb bitch in the video!

I think the guy staged the incident and is looking to capitalize on it.

Re: Runaway Prius Guy's Story Seems a Bit Shaky to Me

Ya Think???

This has SCUMBAG-ATTORNEY-BONNANZA written all over it. Next we'll see spokescunt Erin Brokovich schlepping anti-Toyota class action notices for the swine she's whoring for.

This is likely 1 part defect and 9 parts exploitation by parasites. I hope Toyota continues its decades long refusal to follow the lead of gutless pussies in the corporate universe and fights the bullshit while fixing any real problems that may exist.

I love how it is implied there is no way one could ride the brake while riding the gas pedal...Please. In a time where no depraved act has been left untried, I am to assume there is no possibility some old douche is incapable of commiting fraud. In L.A. On T.V.

Maybe it was a Toyota that killed O.J.s wife and Ron Goldman too!

Well, thank you for at least doing the legwork to answer the two questions I had:

1) Why the hell didn't he just turn it off?
2) If the stupid hybrid thing for some reason was so busted that it refused to turn off, why not just put it in neutral and let the engine blow?

I guess the answer is, he wasn't sure that either answer would land his ass on TV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The driver makes several interesting claims:

2. In the Fox News video, he claims that he was afraid to turn the car off, because he didn't know if he would be able to control it with the power off.

3. In another clip, he said that he was afraid to shift the car into neutral because he was afraid it might go into reverse.

I think the guy staged the incident and is looking to capitalize on it. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">A staged event for a lawsuit.</span> If anyone was this stupid they shouldn't have a drivers license. Its odd how Toyota went from the best company for consumer satisfaction to where it is now(in the media).

Fine, he didn't know how to put it neutral, or was afraid.
Fine, he didn't know that the on off switch has two functions. Those being on and off.

The first thing I would have to ask him in that case is, "What do you think the word <span style="font-weight: bold">Emergency</span> means in the term <span style="font-style: italic">Emergency Brake</span>?"

Probably rode the brake lightly to the point where the pads heated to reduced function..... rather than just pressing them hard and stopping the damn thing.
I have never owned a vehicle that could not be stopped with the engine running wide open.

This situation is not so much a problem with a deadly car as much as it is a deadly driver. A car is not a replacement for a brain.

I guess the Chilean earthquake must have shifted the axis of the earth as I agree with Tucker and Ratbert at the same time
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess the Chilean earthquake must have shifted the axis of the earth as I agree with Tucker and Ratbert at the same time
laugh.gif
</div></div>

You'd better get to Urgent Care quick, there's something wrong with you!

All that I'm gonna say at the moment about this whole debacle is this: As long as "what is actually wrong" is actually being addressed and repaired AND rectified, then all's cool.

I don't see any ACTUAL case of Toyota not doing this.

But is it the media blowing this out of proportion, for headlines, or,
Is it the big three blowing this out of proportion, to harm the competition?

When the Ford/Excursion(?) suspension bags were blowing, and the tires, many families were killed. Just didn't seem like there was near as much skape-goating and fingerpointing then, as there is now. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

and he was sporting a "CORVETTE" leather jacket...driving a Prius ?

Just to let you guys know this guy is a nut. To make a long story short I have personal knowledge of this dealership and the technicians and I have learned some interesting things about this guy from some of the other techs, one I trained about 10 years ago and also from a newswoman whose husband comes into the dealership I am at. I won't say anything due to his sue happy nature of our society especially here in SoCal but I call a huge amount of BULLSHIT on this guy. The news crews have been circling for days now.

I have driven every different car and truck on this friggin' planet from exotics to Hyundai's. The prius is easy to put into neutral and can't understand how someone can go 20 minutes without putting it into neutral. The details will come out on this guy and I hope he goes to jail for what he is doing.

First off Prius recall letters have not been mailed
Second the brakes on the car are not cooked as he called it
Third this car already has brake override and wasn't used
Fourth he has an intresting past
Fifth the officer who pulled him over was out the same unit as the officer that died
I think in the next couple of days he will be cooked as the car has been inspected by many and his story doesn't fly

Dealers do not have the petal fix or download for the Prius yes only the update for braking hesitation

I have talked a few times to Cynthia Castillo she has her van serviced at the dealership I am at she is the lady who was crippled by the Explorer and just went through the last appeal. She just won 25 some MILLION dollars. Her van has a unique plate frame saying driving a Ford will kill you.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All that I'm gonna say at the moment about this whole debacle is this: As long as "what is actually wrong" is actually being addressed and repaired AND rectified, then all's cool.

I don't see any ACTUAL case of Toyota not doing this.

But is it the media blowing this out of proportion, for headlines, or,
Is it the big three blowing this out of proportion, to harm the competition?

When the Ford/Excursion(?) suspension bags were blowing, and the tires, many families were killed. Just didn't seem like there was near as much skape-goating and fingerpointing then, as there is now. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

</div></div>

One tidbit that has already been out is that he tried to defraud his insurance company for something like $50k by saying his home was broken into 2 times. Everything kind of went away and he was not payed. This time he needs to go to the big house.

If your three points are factual, it seems a little fishy to me too. Never underestimate other people's desire to make money without working for it.

There is a lot more to the story and you will soon read about it. I have never had a customer complain about this issue and we have 31k cars on the road.For political reason Toyota will stay quiet but the dealers wont

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess the Chilean earthquake must have shifted the axis of the earth as I agree with Tucker and Ratbert at the same time
laugh.gif
</div></div>

We haven broken him!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuna921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off Prius recall letters have not been mailed
Second the brakes on the car are not cooked as he called it
Third this car already has brake override and wasn't used
Fourth he has an intresting past
Fifth the officer who pulled him over was out the same unit as the officer that died
I think in the next couple of days he will be cooked as the car has been inspected by many and his story doesn't fly

Dealers do not have the petal fix or download for the Prius yes only the update for braking hesitation </div></div>

I KNEW you knew more than we did.
Just had to coax it out of you.
grin.gif

Thanks Tucker ......

Tucker drive that Tacoma if you get on I 95 and pass a radar trap tell them your pedal stuck....I can speed all day now with no tickets , like they say believe half of what you see and none that you read

For political reason Toyota will no comment but rest assure the dealers will

Jim

I saw it when it broke on the news and my first was a grown man over the period of 20 min could not shift to neutral or turn off the ignition????? I called bullshit then and stick by it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent...Excellent... </div></div>

South Florida Watch out .......Queequeq

Theodore H. Frank: I am not afraid of my Toyota Prius

By: Theodore H. Frank
OpEd Contributor
March 11, 2010

I’ve been driving Toyota Priuses since 2001. As a junior defense lawyer in the mid-90s, I litigated a number of bogus sudden acceleration cases that were brought against General Motors.

So the recent kerfuffle over alleged mysterious electronic problems with the Prius and other Toyotas has certainly caught my attention beyond just throwing my floor mat in the trunk.

I knew the public hysteria had reached unprecedented proportions when my father, a Ph.D. geologist skeptical of everything from George W. Bush to global warming (and that’s just the G’s), credulously emailed me repeatedly to demand I read a press release from a plaintiff’s lawyer on how to prevent runaway vehicles.

The short answer: hit the brake and stay on it. Every vehicle on the road today has a braking system more powerful than its engine. Shift into neutral. Then turn off the power.

So James Sikes, who made a dramatic 911 call from his Prius on Interstate 8 in San Diego earlier this week, is effectively claiming he had an electrical problem that affected his throttle, his brake, and his power system, because it took him over 20 minutes to stop his car.

Somehow no one in the press has asked Sikes how it is he could stop the car once it had slowed to 50 mph, but not when it was going 90 mph. Have Balloon Boy and the finger-in-the-chili taught us nothing?

Even if one believes all the hype, the reaction so far has been a giant overreaction. Fifty-odd deaths over 10 years and millions of Toyotas is a drop in the bucket compared to the general risk of being on the road at all.

It’s entirely possible that more people will be killed driving to the dealer for the recall than lives will be saved from going through the safety theater demanded by the Department of Transportation.

As Carnegie Mellon University Professor Paul Fischbeck calculates, I face 19 times more risk walking home the mile back from my Toyota dealer than I would driving a car that one assumes has the electronic defect.

But one shouldn’t believe the hype. We went through this a generation ago with the Audi 5000 and other autos accused of sudden acceleration, and, again, mysterious unknowable car components were supposedly at fault.

In a North Carolina case I worked on, the plaintiff’s expert theorized that electromagnetic transmissions from submarines might have set off the throttle via the cruise control, though, unsurprisingly, he was not able to duplicate the effect while driving around electrical towers with much greater electromagnetic interference.

Back then, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) spent millions studying the issue. They found that sudden acceleration was several times more likely among elderly drivers than young drivers, and much more frequent among the very short or someone who had just gotten into a vehicle.

Electromagnetic rays don’t discriminate by age and height, which suggests very much that human factors were at play: in other words, pedal misapplication. A driver would step on the wrong pedal, panic when the car did not perform as expected, continue to mistake the accelerator for the brake, and press down on the accelerator even harder.

This had disastrous consequences in a 1992 Washington Square Park incident that killed five and a 2003 Santa Monica Farmers’ Market incident that killed ten—the New York driver, Stella Maycheck, was 74 (and quite short); the California driver, George Russell Weller, 86.

We’re seeing the same pattern again today. Initial reports of a problem, followed by dozens of new reports “coming to light” as people seek to blame their earlier accidents on sudden acceleration.

Again, mysterious car components are at issue, this time, speculation of software or electronics going haywire. But if the problem is software, it is manifesting itself a lot like the Audi sudden acceleration did.

The Los Angeles Times recently did a story detailing all of the NHTSA reports of Toyota “sudden acceleration” fatalities, and, though the Times did not mention it, the ages of the drivers involved were striking.

In the 24 cases where driver age was reported or readily inferred, the drivers included those of the ages 60, 61, 63, 66, 68, 71, 72, 72, 77, 79, 83, 85, 89—and I’m leaving out the son whose age wasn’t identified, but whose 94-year-old father died as a passenger.

These “electronic defects” apparently discriminate against the elderly, just as the sudden acceleration of Audis and GM autos did before them. (If computers are going to discriminate against anyone, they should be picking on the young, who are more likely to take up arms against the rise of the machines and future Terminators).

But Toyota is being mau-maued by Democratic regulators and legislators in the pockets of trial lawyers—who, according to the Associated Press, stand to make a billion dollars from blaming Toyota for driver error.

And that is before hundreds of past run-of-the-mill Toyota accidents that killed or injured people are re-classified in future lawsuits as an electronics failure in an attempt to win settlements against the company.

Media irresponsibility severely damaged Audi’s brand for years in the U.S.; GM’s litigation expenses from sudden acceleration and similarly bogus product liability suits contributed to its recent need for a taxpayer bailout.

Certainly, the dozens of deaths reported to NHTSA are real tragedies—as are the tens of thousands of other automobile-related deaths that occur every year. While it’s certainly possibly the case that floor mat troubles have caused a handful of accidents, the media needs to exhibit more skepticism before it does trial lawyers’ bidding against Toyota on a speculative theory of electronic defect that is absent of evidence.

Theodore H. Frank (http://tedfrank.com) is the founder and president of the Center for Class Action Fairness. He does not speak for General Motors.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinio...l#ixzz0hu6WBDFA

Paul Atkinson

Maximizer Focus Arranger Achiever Self-Assurance

laugh.gif
</div></div>

I was honestly wondering if I'd somehow woken up on April Fool's Day.

I'm also going to stock up on massive amounts of ammo and MREs. You know the apocalypse cometh when QQ agrees with tucker301 and Ratbert. Run for the hills. You have been warned.

(And yeah, that dude with the Prius is a total lunatic.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw it when it broke on the news and my first was a grown man over the period of 20 min could not shift to neutral or turn off the ignition????? I called bullshit then and stick by it. </div></div>

If you listen to the 911 call, he was communicating until the dispatcher asked him if he could shift the car into neutral. That's when he stopped talking.
Turns out, the 911 call centers and the media have been given instructions from Toyota on how to handle a stuck accelerator quickly, safely, and effectively.

Seeing on the news tonight that Congress is questioning whether the NHTSA is staying on top matters and whether EVERY Toyota should be recalled.

Hmmm... how much money do the do the big three domestics owe the government again?

I think I am most stunned by the fact that a Prius will go 94mph. On a different note, a grown man who does not know how to stop a car should have his testicles removed so as not to continue that blood line.....
Patrick

The highway he was on I travel at least a couple of times a week and use it often to get the flags to set on OBDII systems for the smogcheck program. It is a very steep and I doubt he would have even been able to achieve 90 going up this grade. They say he finally stopped in La Posta (used to be a good local spot to shoot but has since been closed). I watched him as he gave his little speeches to the news and he is just plain lying. I don't mean the news either. I was about 15 feet away from him just holding my breath wanting to do a Joe Wilson and yell out liar but didn't

Who drives 100 talking on their cell ? Who is in a car they no control of and would even look for their cell.

The issues becomes Toyota owners are loyal and don't buy into this.

How much money ? One dollar is too much

Sadly Toyota directly and indirectly employees 2 million here in the USA

Ford: New Fiesta to be built in Mexico
Saturday May 31, 2008
Ford has announced that the upcoming Fiesta subcompact, which is expected to go on sale in North America in 2010, will be built in Mexico

The AIADA is quick to point out that many American-brand cars are built outside the U.S.
Enlarge PhotoToyota, Nissan and Honda all build cars in the U.S. General Motors, Chrysler and Ford all build cars in Mexico

Maybe Toyota is not union labor

F150 built in the USA think again

UAW boss Ron Gettelfinger wrote an editorial last week that claimed that the UAW could build an F150 almost twice as fast as non-union Toyota workers could build a Tundra.

The only problem with this claim - it's completely ridiculous.

Of course it bears noting that if this really WERE true, then the F150 would be half as complicated as the Tundra...and that's not really a good thing, is it?

Gettelfinger cited the 2008 Harbour report study that stated the F150 needs 19.1 hours of assembly while the Tundra needs 31. Of course, that's only PART of the data.

- The Tundra was in the middle of a huge new-model change during the course of the study (the 2008 study is based on results from 2007). Of course the Tundra's assembly times will be higher than average.

- The Harbour report doesn't include pre-assembly times in their official estimate (many F150 parts come pre-assembled in the USA).

- The Harbour report found that Toyota was still the industry leader in plant efficiency.

- Most damningly, F150's built in Ford's Mexico plant take 10 hours longer to build...how could the exact same truck need 10 more hours of build time in Mexico?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">- Most damningly, F150's built in Ford's Mexico plant take 10 hours longer to build...<span style="text-decoration: underline">how could the exact same truck need 10 more hours of build time in Mexico</span>?
</div></div>

You need to account for siestas and the time needed for the workers to howl sexually inappropriate utterances at the muchacha roach coche drivers!

Oh sorry, this was not meant to insult our Mexican neighbors who are of course our dear friends and mean us only the best.

"- Most damningly, F150's built in Ford's Mexico plant take 10 hours longer to build...how could the exact same truck need 10 more hours of build time in Mexico?"

Well, there's the language issue, the siesta time, and the "where can we hide all the drugs"?

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">- Most damningly, F150's built in Ford's Mexico plant take 10 hours longer to build...<span style="text-decoration: underline">how could the exact same truck need 10 more hours of build time in Mexico</span>?
</div></div>

You need to account for siestas and the time needed for the workers to howl sexually inappropriate utterances at the muchacha roach coche drivers!

Oh sorry, this was not meant to insult our Mexican neighbors who are of course our dear friends and mean us only the best.
</div></div>
It's the step stools and lack of air wrenches
Yes and I love Salas too

I emailed a friend of mine who's on his 2nd prius and asked if he could shift into neutral when it was moving thinking maybe that trick didn't work on these cars for some reason. He said that shifting to neutral works just like on any other car and that these runaway people are just being dumb.

He also went into this huge two-page long description of how some of the control systems work (he's a EE and a huge nerd/fan of the technology that goes into these cars). Apparently if you turn the car off while it's moving, which requires you to press and hold the on/off button for a few seconds, you can actually damage some of the electronics. Toyota says to not to tow a prius at more than a few MPH with the drive wheels _on_ the ground because they turn some of the generator parts. With the generator moving and the electronics shut down some dangerous voltages can arise and pop some of the caps in the system causing damage to the car (we're talking capacitors here, not about a gangsta' with a gat).

His theory is that if you're moving at 50mph and shut down it's going to induce the situation they warn about in the manual about moving the drive wheels without the electronics on. It would prevent a crash but could cost the owner some $$$ when some spendy bits get charred.

Did I hear that my tax $'s are being used to investigate this?

To be honest Switch you would not want to just shut the ignition off. Here is why. When you turn the motor off you will also shut off the power steering system (if the particular model is equipped with one) and in some older models you could lock the steering wheel. There was an actual campaign I did on Corvettes that disabled this steering wheel lock function for this very reason. The thing to do is to just shift to neutral that's all ya' got to do period. The engine will rev but almost all modern vehicles have a rev limiter, then just pull off to the side of the road shut the thing off then check it out for things like mechanical failure (cable, pedal, mats, etc. or if none of those are obvious just try and start it again in park and see if it revs. Based on size of balls and mechanical know how you determine whether you can drive it. Having worked for the Nissan factory off road team and other multi million dollar teams you learn that NOTHING should get you stuck anywhere. I have driven on 2 rims for almost 20 miles off road at speed. Heck I saw one truck that went for almost 8 miles without a left front suspension while Ivan was chasing him

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did I hear that my tax $'s are being used to investigate this? </div></div>

Nah they already spent that ...their using IOU's for this

I'm in the electric vehicle industry, make controls (the black boxes). If you do turn it off, most of the modern systems are start in that it will go into a decel mode operation.... common turn is emergency key off decel. The micros and onboard computers stay energized both from the battery and the motor regen. The motor itself acts like a generator. So there are a few places to put the energy, back into the battery packs, which most likely it will go since most packs are not full topped off. It takes alot of energy to top them off by the way, and you will see prius for instance are at 80% or so most of the time for a reason, to absorb energy. Even then it its topped off, the vehicle can regen and the FETs can disapate the energy by shorting the bridge, thus ---heat . Now if it is truely towed, it is an issue. But turning an ignition off with most modern micro controlled systems will go into key off decel, and if the micro detects its still moving (speed sensors) should keep the power steering up. Remember, alot of EVs used position mode steering with hall effect sensors. So the argument power steering going out of BS. There are so many redundant systems in power steering, even with non-automotive applications just due to the standards in the industry.

Now that being said, if one were to actually open the battery line (pull the terminal or cable off) then the electronics have no where to dissipate the energy, and that scenario of FETs popping does occur. But powering the system off via the key and switch is not going to do this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I emailed a friend of mine who's on his 2nd prius and asked if he could shift into neutral when it was moving thinking maybe that trick didn't work on these cars for some reason. He said that shifting to neutral works just like on any other car and that these runaway people are just being dumb.

He also went into this huge two-page long description of how some of the control systems work (he's a EE and a huge nerd/fan of the technology that goes into these cars). Apparently if you turn the car off while it's moving, which requires you to press and hold the on/off button for a few seconds, you can actually damage some of the electronics. Toyota says to not to tow a prius at more than a few MPH with the drive wheels _on_ the ground because they turn some of the generator parts. With the generator moving and the electronics shut down some dangerous voltages can arise and pop some of the caps in the system causing damage to the car (we're talking capacitors here, not about a gangsta' with a gat).

His theory is that if you're moving at 50mph and shut down it's going to induce the situation they warn about in the manual about moving the drive wheels without the electronics on. It would prevent a crash but could cost the owner some $$$ when some spendy bits get charred.

</div></div>

Having screwed with Engines of all types an fuels, I'll say this. What your seeing with Toyota, is nothing new in the prime mover world. Every sense computers, have been used for engine management of on highway engines an motors (electric) the public has been the R&D lab.

There are only a handfull companys that produce a ECM, ECU, EMS, (whatever your field calls it) product that is worth it's salt, and none are, on highway Mfg's.

What Mfg in his right mind would ever design a electrical path of a, drive by wire, throttle control, that they would not brake with a over ride device when the brakes were applied,... my guess is one that could give a shit about you, over the 50 cents it would add to each unit leaving the line.

According to someone who in the know, there are a number of failsafes built into the systems.
On this particular model Prius, when the engine is revved past its limiter and the brake is tapped, the engine is immediately shut off.

Keep in kind that the same computers that make the system go also keep records for diagnostic purposes.

I expect the computer from this clown's Prius is going to hang his sorry ass out to dry.

I've to say, the fact that a Japanese car company is taking a beating, does not make me terribly sad.
Maybe I'm just Evil ...

Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to someone who in the know, there are a number of failsafes built into the systems.
On this particular model Prius, when the engine is revved past its limiter and the brake is tapped, the engine is immediately shut off.

Keep in kind that the same computers that make the system go also keep records for diagnostic purposes.

I expect the computer from this clown's Prius is going to hang his sorry ass out to dry. </div></div>

I hope you are right T but don't forget the huge awards paid out during the breast implant suits; in spite of solid evidence that the silicon implants were not unsafe, hoards of gutless insurance company lawyers and implant manufacturers were cowed by the absurd credulity of the armies of simple and easily duped rubes who comprise the "juries of our peers"

I would love to see this become the lever that breaks the back of the burgeoning bogus lawsuit industry.

I hope the run away prius guy liar gets cornered. Let the powers that be increase his debt load from $700,000 to about $1 Million and give him a fine for talking on his cell phone while driving. I hate cheats and worthless scum bags..........SmokeRolls

This proves it. We are entering into another Dark Age.

Unfortunately it most likely will not. There is not a "flight recorder" that is running other than the SDM (air bag module) but that only comes into play if there is need for deployment of air bags, and or belt buckle and or seat belt retractors. That is the only time all the info will be recorded. Don't need a deployment but you do need the criteria for the deployment. (bags won't go off if you lets say don't have your seat belt on).

Why am I saying all this? Well because if the car never saw anything wrong than it won't record anything in the ABS (anti lock brakes), PCM TCM ECM (engine and or trans controllers) or air bags. I think he just had his foot on the gas and said it was on the brake by just pushing down harder on the gas and lifting his body making it look like he was pushing down real hard on the brakes.

Not all cars have the failsafe of the gas pedal being depressed at the same time as the brake. Just check your car or truck next time you are out. Go about 10 mph with your foot on the brake lightly and your foot mashed on the floor. A lot of vehicles will all the sudden feel like the gas went to about 10% just make sure no body is in front of you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to someone who in the know, there are a number of fail safes built into the systems.

I expect the computer from this clown's Prius is going to hang his sorry ass out to dry.</div></div>

As to how much it costs for this? It is all software based when you talk about fly by wire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having screwed with Engines of all types an fuels, I'll say this. What your seeing with Toyota, is nothing new in the prime mover world. Every sense computers, have been used for engine management of on highway engines an motors (electric) the public has been the R&D lab.

There are only a handful company's that produce a ECM, ECU, EMS, (whatever your field calls it) product that is worth it's salt, and none are, on highway Mfg's.

What Mfg in his right mind would ever design a electrical path of a, drive by wire, throttle control, that they would not brake with a over ride device when the brakes were applied,... my guess is one that could give a shit about you, over the 50 cents it would add to each unit leaving the line. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've to say, the fact that a Japanese car company is taking a beating, does not make me terribly sad.
Maybe I'm just Evil ...

Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

</div></div>

We have for the last two month's and this month we are up 50%.This is starting to backfire on them.Simular systems are used on airplanes buses ect. With the domestics in trouble is this a ploy to help them ? You can put Toyota's safety record agaist anyones, They have the third lowest complaints per car of any builder out there.

• Every Toyota Hybrid since the first Prius, launched in August 2000, has had brake override as standard equipment, when the accelerator is depressed and the brake is applied fuel is cutoff to the engine and the vehicle stops as if the gas pedal were in the idle position. Try it…

Toyota’s throttles meet twice the limits set by European regulations on electro-magnetic interference, and there’s no U.S. standard, Uchiyamada said in a written statement.