• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Runaway Prius Guy's Story Seems a Bit Shaky to Me

Re: Runaway Prius Guy's Story Seems a Bit Shaky to Me

The problem is "Softwear" and the lack of a simple over riding device to brake the path. If you can change the basic commands with ones an zero's, when the IC's, SCR's, or FET's go tits up, the computer will damn sure do what it wants to, no matter what you programed, it to do. I've heard more Eng's tell me "It won't do that" when I'm standing there watching it happen live, an seeing and recording it on a O'scope.
Way back when, strip chart recorders were used to prove to the all knowing FNG's it was happening and the event was right there in black an white.

I'm not saying the public, or mfg, is lying about the issue at hand but, more than once I've proved the Mfg, and the customer both were incorrect about the issue they were having. Computer management systems, are not the know all, be all. NASA, DOE, NSA, Delta, United, all have pu'ter issues all the time, and you don't believe the hwy junk mfg's don't? I remember seeing a Airbus crash because the fly by wire over rode the pilots input.

This Toyota issue, is not unlike many others you guys have seen, both sides pointing fingers at each other,(remember Boeing 737, vs Pilots) when they both might be right or wrong, or at fault do to cost saving or jury awards.
Toyota stands to lose everything they have worked for,... the driving public just their lives.
How many times in history has it been proven over an over, in the end, it's all about money, not safety!

Remember money is only relivent,... depending on if your buying, or selling.

The "Problem" I see, is the complete system is working w/o any outside issues, and that is "NOT" real world!

Just for your info I've been on the stand while the Jury was present more than once. Unless the device has back up,... is stand alone,... has two or more redundent inputs,... then still has a input fail mode, its just like other worlds, one is none, two or more is one. The words, Fail safe, and computers, go togeather like water and oil, that is fact not, ficton. Dig around, public records, are full of law suits, of Eng's would-a, could-a, should-a.

Steering, Brakes, and Shutdown, are the three life/limb safety issues, in that order, always have been and will be. Any breach of one, will cause harm to life within the transport, or others on or off the roadway.

It's about money, not safety, has been for along time now. When computer systems are working, they are hard to beat, thats a given but,... w/o the three life saftey systems being the over riding Eng. factor, it matters little how will the computer controls the others.

In Dec. 2008 I leased a new Toyota Highlander. In March/April 2009 over a 3 week period I had the following happen 4 times. While driving on rural rounds here in Vermont on cruise control I accelerated to pass a slower car. The Highlander downshifted to low and the engine went to full race. Trying to turn off the cruise control did nothing - it stayed on as did the dash cruise indicator. Stomping on the brake pedal also did not disengage the cruise control. stepping on and flipping the gas pedal did nothing. Turning the key off of course did disable the power steering which is not great on winding roads. Turing the key back on & off & on4 times did NOT dissengage the cruise control or full throttle state. Shifting to neutral it was obvious the engine would blow. And then finally the system reset to normal throttle control. Within a week Toyota was telling the press it was the mats being pushed over the gas pedal. It is next to impossible to do that on the highlander and it was not the case. An now its an accelerator pedal. BS. This is a computer electrical problem. And I bet they don't yet have a clue what the factors are that ultimately combine to cause this sort of failure. It is amazing that a simple cut off fail safe system has not been implemented. If you go online there are numerous similar case to mine in many makes and models. This is not a Toyota problem. All major auto companies arre having these issues. A shooting friend had a similar experience twice in his Dodge Durango.

I agree and cry BS with this Prius guy, But really guys there is a serious problem going on with electric crosstalk, EMF interference and too complex electrical control systems without proper fails safes. And the problem is so complicated that neither the safety experts nor the manufactures know what is really happening.

Now, what would you do as either a manufacturer or the government? Would you tell people the truth that these things are uncontrolled rare but potentially fatal problems that we don't understand yet? Would you make up a BS gas pedal problem? We haven't come close to the end of this problem yet.

I just find it very odd that a car company that's more successful in America than the domestics are suddenly having all kinds of bad publicity and an apparently huge problem on the heels of said domestics basically tanking on their own soil. Toyotas have a reputation of being more reliable than the domestic manufacturers, so when there's a problem like this of course the media is going to be all over it. We can always trust the media, right? I'm not much on conspiracy theories, but the entire Toyota situation reeks of something being fishy. This guy in particular should be put behind bars if he's faking this stuff (and the evidence is starting to pile up indicating that he is).

Anyway, I have a friend with a '90 Tercel wagon with 320,000 miles on it. He's had a radiator and a power steering pump replaced. I finally was able to ditch my '97 S10 with 180,000 miles on it (first engine went out at 127,000 miles, second one blew a manifold intake gasket and the coolant ate the crank bearings). Water leaked into the cabin when it rained - never could figure that out. It was on its second transmission. Replaced front and rear u-joints just a couple months after I bought it. It had chronic brake problems in that they would wear out every 6,000 miles for some reason. I replaced the water pump, radiator, both front hubs, starter, and driver's side ball joints. The check engine light never went out - it would always read either an oxygen sensor or MAF sensor error, even after I replaced the MAF 3 times and all o2 sensors twice. It had a problem once that for 3 months if I hit 2300 rpm in first gear, it would blow the dash fuse. Then it just quit one day. For about 6 months, anytime it rained it would randomly just die completely. Try going 60 mph around a 30° turn and have everything just die - that pissed me off. After about 6 months and 4 mechanics, it just stopped doing it.

There are numerous other problems that I don't feel like boring you with. I sent Chevrolet an email on all this (after the first engine and the tranny went out, and most of that stuff listed up there had already happened) and they told me that on a truck of that age and mileage it was to be expected. That was in '05 with about 130,000 miles. So Chevy builds vehicles that last 125,000 miles over 8 years that will have to have an engine, transmission, and most major parts replaced at that point? I'll take a Toyota (or Honda, or even a Mazda) thanks.

Funny, I still have my 1987 Crevrolet Blazer.

That's right, CREVROLET, with TWO Rs!

It's the decal label on the back, but that came from Detroit and sat on a lot for a few weeks until the fetching Mrs. Q and I bought our first brand new vehicle. Still have it today! Every time we brought it in for dealer service they wanted to make us out to be stupid for not allowing them to change it!

No major problems with it though the dash module needs to be replaced! But we sure did laugh as we watched the Chevy dealer's various people squirm over the basic lack of quality control evident in the mis-spelling of the company name!

Since we've got the whole car industry brain trust involved in this, I wonder if any of you can explain a problem I had with a nearly new 95 F-150. Was toodling down 45 from DFW to Houston one day with cruise control set for 70 and all of a sudden I start to decelerate (not braking just coasting) and the engine revs spike as the cruise control tries to compensate. A bit startled, I tap the brake to turn off cruise control but find that, even though the gear indicator still says Drive, I seem to be in neutral. I shift into neutral, back into drive, and everything seems fine. I continue for a while and it happens again exactly as before (except I'm a bit less startled.) From then on I don't use cruise control for the remainder of the trip and IIRC it still happened twice more before I reached Houston. I took it into the dealer and explained what happened, assuming there was something wrong with the shifter or something. They call me back and say that it was because my battery voltage was a bit low. They replaced the battery (for an exorbitant sum) and sure enough it never happened again (kept the car for another 5 years and 100k.) But the whole "low battery voltage" thing still smells of bullshit to me.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa,not like the 3 passengers yelling and screaming behind him.

Low or high battery voltage, can an will cause computer issues. Most all Ecm's have a voltage comp circut, that takes highs an lows out,..to a point. When cruise control was brained via the Ecm's, alot of issues popped up. Ford an Cat have the best systems when it comes to road speed/engine Rpm, brained via a Ecm. Woodward controls,... is the king of the hill period, but they don't do much on highway.

I remember how easy it was to over come a Cat Road speed governer, by just turning the key switch off an back on a number of times,...same thing that would happen if you have a defective connection from the battery an control mod. The driver was ticketed after the crash for 126mph, Cat and Peterbilt both said it would not do that, as the ECM checked fine after the fact,... until they induced a defective connection into the main power circut,... which allowed the 450hp, 3406 run to max, none road speed goverened speed,
Never say never, with electrical devices.

Well if there is a problem why haven't the thousands of engineer found the cause ?

I think this guy sums it up
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZ4PtafRB9c"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZ4PtafRB9c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

"No One" and I mean no one, knows it all when it comes to electrical, vs RF/Mw. If they did folks like NASA, NSA, and all the others down the chain to lesser folks like Verizon an AT&T, would not be having the issues they do everyday on systems, signed off by some of the most trusted folks in the Ind.

You don't believe me, I don't care, ask them, they'll tell ya the same thing.

The old saying applys here, when in doubt, follow the money.

If mankind made it - it has faults - PERIOD.

Two space shuttles blew up and the absoluite BEST minds in the world built those systems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuna921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well if there is a problem why haven't the thousands of engineer found the cause ?

I think this guy sums it up
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZ4PtafRB9c"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZ4PtafRB9c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

THIS was definitely worth watching. All Hail.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuna921</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've to say, the fact that a Japanese car company is taking a beating, does not make me terribly sad.
Maybe I'm just Evil ...

Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

</div></div>

We have for the last two month's and this month we are up 50%.This is starting to backfire on them.Simular systems are used on airplanes buses ect. With the domestics in trouble is this a ploy to help them ? You can put Toyota's safety record agaist anyones, They have the third lowest complaints per car of any builder out there. </div></div>
Whose "them"?
You mean, all these recalls Toyota made were due sabotage from Dr.Evil, and weren't due to fabrication defects?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You mean, all these recalls Toyota made were due sabotage from Dr.Evil, and weren't due to fabrication defects?

</div></div>

Perception is reality here. So long as the general public has the perception that there is a problem (thank you, media) then Toyota HAS to issue recalls or be accused of ignoring safety. The fact that the recalls are stupid things like replacing floormats or applying lube to gas pedals just illustrates that they are probably attempting to fix a non-problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny, I still have my 1987 Crevrolet Blazer.

That's right, CREVROLET, with TWO Rs!

It's the decal label on the back, but that came from Detroit and sat on a lot for a few weeks until the fetching Mrs. Q and I bought our first brand new vehicle. Still have it today! Every time we brought it in for dealer service they wanted to make us out to be stupid for not allowing them to change it!

No major problems with it though the dash module needs to be replaced! But we sure did laugh as we watched the Chevy dealer's various people squirm over the basic lack of quality control evident in the mis-spelling of the company name!
</div></div>
That's funny. Love to see that one day. I would love to see one on a ford that say's "Exploder". Or a "PP Cruiser", the list goes on....................SmokeRolls

Just heard on the radio this guy may be "Balloon Boy 2". He is 5 payments behind on the Prius, had an insurance claim for big bucks for a home robbery, TV game show winner,etc. How likely is he to accidentally find a place to drive for 25 minutes at 90 mph, talking on his cell,waiting on the patrolman, and waiting on aerial TV coverage without an accident. I heard him tell the 911 operator he could not put the car in neutral, he was controlling the car.

Orange county, Ca. prosecutor announced a lawsuit against Toyota, demanding $2,500.00 for every Toyota sold in California. He claims the company knowingly with held knowledge of defects in order to more quickly dominate the U.S. car market.

Sounds like more opportunism on the part of govt. officials. Any of you know this State Attorney?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess the Chilean earthquake must have shifted the axis of the earth as I agree with Tucker and Ratbert at the same time
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Now that's funny, and I caught myself feeling the same way
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johncx0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just heard on the radio this guy may be "Balloon Boy 2". He is 5 payments behind on the Prius, had an insurance claim for big bucks for a home robbery, TV game show winner,etc. How likely is he to accidentally find a place to drive for 25 minutes at 90 mph, talking on his cell,waiting on the patrolman, and waiting on aerial TV coverage without an accident. I heard him tell the 911 operator he could not put the car in neutral, he was controlling the car.</div></div>

The spot he was on is very straight and up a steep grade. I have on many occasions done 200+ on this highway up to the border checkpoint and then past it. Just have to keep an eye out for the bear in the air. Of any place I know of other than the 20 mile stretches in AZ there is no other place I know that I would want to have a "stuck pedal"

This prick has said he does not want to sue (then why did he get an attorney) he just wants Toyota to "give" him a Prius.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny, I still have my 1987 Crevrolet Blazer.</div></div>

Lucky You? Maybe it's still running because it's a Crevy?

The only Chevrolet I would ever own again would have to be at least close to, if not more than, my age. (I was born in '84).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny, I still have my 1987 Crevrolet Blazer.</div></div>

Lucky You? Maybe it's still running because it's a Crevy?

The only Chevrolet I would ever own again would have to be at least close to, if not more than, my age. (I was born in '84).</div></div>

you will not find anything in the 80's that was any good. Smog laws just plain killed performance and driveability.

Mid to late '70s' weren't exactly American car glory years either, as I recall!

It was light trucks that saved the American auto industry then. Damn sure wasn't Pacer's, Vega's or the Dodge Dart! And I owned one of the first and one of the latter. The dart leaked like a mother but it ran for years! The Pacer was given to me by my brother when he went to Arizona; we both knew it was a piece-o
laugh.gif

Anyway, reading Gunfighter's posts, I concur that there is often some screwy electronic and electrical shit that happens that is hard to explain: Like powering the rear window up or down in my old mans 69 Ford Ranch Wagon when you turned on the hazard and worked the blinker lever up and down!

Still, the old man in California is a lying douche.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mid to late '70s' weren't exactly American car glory years either, as I recall!

It was light trucks that saved the American auto industry then. Damn sure wasn't Pacer's, Vega's or the Dodge Dart! And I owned one of the first and one of the latter. The dart leaked like a mother but it ran for years! The Pacer was given to me by my brother when he went to Arizona; we both knew it was a piece-o
laugh.gif

</div></div>

I weep when I think about what my 69' GTO's progeny ended up as.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Orange county, Ca. prosecutor announced a lawsuit against Toyota, demanding $2,500.00 for every Toyota sold in California. </div></div>

At least the one guy went to the trouble of trying to fabricate a problem and then extort rewards to get his ass out of hock.

Looks like the state is going to try and skip a few steps.
grin.gif

I sent my wife the youtube link, but somehow I don't think she'll find it as humorous as I did. She did however think the CA guy was full of shit. We caught the prime time version of the story-complete with an animation showing the cop telling dumbass how to stop.
The local news even had a segment with a camera in a local lady's Prius with her whining that she's afraid for what will happen.

If anything goes wrong with my wife's Prius we should be able to get it back to the dealer, I'm pretty sure it'll fit in my GMC 2500HD's bed.
We're one of those couples that balance each other out.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCummings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Dec. 2008 I leased a new Toyota Highlander. In March/April 2009 over a 3 week period I had the following happen 4 times. While driving on rural rounds here in Vermont on cruise control I accelerated to pass a slower car. The Highlander downshifted to low and the engine went to full race. Trying to turn off the cruise control did nothing - it stayed on as did the dash cruise indicator. Stomping on the brake pedal also did not disengage the cruise control. stepping on and flipping the gas pedal did nothing. Turning the key off of course did disable the power steering which is not great on winding roads. Turing the key back on & off & on4 times did NOT dissengage the cruise control or full throttle state. Shifting to neutral it was obvious the engine would blow. And then finally the system reset to normal throttle control. Within a week Toyota was telling the press it was the mats being pushed over the gas pedal. It is next to impossible to do that on the highlander and it was not the case. An now its an accelerator pedal. BS. This is a computer electrical problem. And I bet they don't yet have a clue what the factors are that ultimately combine to cause this sort of failure. It is amazing that a simple cut off fail safe system has not been implemented. If you go online there are numerous similar case to mine in many makes and models. This is not a Toyota problem. All major auto companies arre having these issues. A shooting friend had a similar experience twice in his Dodge Durango.

I agree and cry BS with this Prius guy, But really guys there is a serious problem going on with electric crosstalk, EMF interference and too complex electrical control systems without proper fails safes. And the problem is so complicated that neither the safety experts nor the manufactures know what is really happening.

Now, what would you do as either a manufacturer or the government? Would you tell people the truth that these things are uncontrolled rare but potentially fatal problems that we don't understand yet? Would you make up a BS gas pedal problem? We haven't come close to the end of this problem yet.
</div></div>

Shifting into neutral at wot-the engine WILL NOT BLOW-nonsense,there is an electronic rev limiter.All this is bullshit-lack of operator skill. Shift into neutral. PERIOD.

Now the "copycat" concept has started. And now KNEE-JERK legislation that will only intrude even more into our lives.

That vid was awesome - that settles it - this is a GM conspircy - Government Motors trying to get you to invest in their stock -

In case you didn't understand in this electronic run away situation there WAS NOT a functional rev limiter. I was there, driving, and tried it all 4 times. NO FUNCTIONAL REV LIMITER.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCummings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In case you didn't understand in this electronic run away situation there WAS NOT a functional rev limiter. I was there, driving, and tried it all 4 times. NO FUNCTIONAL REV LIMITER. </div></div>

Sure there is. An engine will run at top RPM for only so long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCummings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In case you didn't understand in this electronic run away situation there WAS NOT a functional rev limiter. I was there, driving, and tried it all 4 times. NO FUNCTIONAL REV LIMITER. </div></div>

It will Rev limit out ,are you sure you have a factory CC ? You might want to check you window sticker some dealers put in aftermarket and I wouldn't put those in any car.I also would not add any electronics to a car that are so called built in no matter what brand as they usally splice them into the facory wiring harness which is not good. ie Navigation Stereo's ect I have seen some hack job by dealers and independent shop.
Another issue with cc I have heard and seen in all older cars is once you head downhill and the car speeds up it will reset at the higher speed,the newer ones one dont have this issue.

Well I got my first one yesterday an older lady hit a electric pole in a tundra and guess what the car did it by itself She had he foot on the brake and not the gas she claims,I will be curious to see what the Toyota inspection team does

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuna921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Well I got my first one yesterday an older lady hit a electric pole in a tundra and guess what the car did it by itself She had he foot on the brake and not the gas she claims,I will be curious to see what the Toyota inspection team does
</div></div>

Reminds me of when I used to sit down at people's busted ass computers and ask them "what did you do?" and they'd say "nothing, it just changed all these settings..." Funny how computers only decide to arbitrarily and spontaneously reconfigure themselves when their users' are dumb asses.

Let's see,I'm driving along and suddenly-I'm in a LIFE-THREATENING situation. HHMMMM-what should I do?

1)ANYTHING TO SAVE MY LIFE.....or
2)Worry about BLOWING the engine that is propelling me to my death?

That's like not pulling your RESERVE parachute-because you don't want to pay a rigger to re-pack it.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to someone who in the know, there are a number of failsafes built into the systems.
On this particular model Prius, when the engine is revved past its limiter and the brake is tapped, the engine is immediately shut off.

Keep in kind that the same computers that make the system go also keep records for diagnostic purposes.

I expect the computer from this clown's Prius is going to hang his sorry ass out to dry. </div></div>

I hope you are right T but don't forget the huge awards paid out during the breast implant suits; in spite of solid evidence that the silicon implants were not unsafe, hoards of gutless insurance company lawyers and implant manufacturers were cowed by the absurd credulity of the armies of simple and easily duped rubes who comprise the "juries of our peers"

I would love to see this become the lever that breaks the back of the burgeoning bogus lawsuit industry. </div></div>

Me too. Too many asshat lawyers being a pain in the ass helping aleviate the people of this country from personal accountability and resposibility for what they do and how they act..

How are you so Damn sure it will limit out when you weren't there? I watched the RPMs go all the way to the top of the gauge well beyond red line. I did just fine. 4 times. I'm alive. No damage to person or property And my car still works. I wonder if you'd done as well?

Two words people-tort reform.

Acutally the Tundra into a pole cited above would surprise the hell out of me if there was anything wrong with the vehicle besides an eighty year old split in the seat. You wouldn't believe how many seniors here in the Valley of the Sun (especially out in Sun City) drive into buildings, people, other cars, etc because they "thought they were pressing on the brake".......

And for the rev limit arguments-press and hold the Power button or turn the key off.

just out

SAN FRANCISCO – A newspaper is reporting that investigators probing a runaway Toyota Prius found its brakes didn't show the wear expected when a driver exerts sustained pressure like the driver said he did during a dramatic incident on a San Diego highway.

The Wall Street Journal reported Saturday that people familiar with the probe said it didn't show the brakes had been applied at full force at high speeds for a long period but instead probably were applied intermittently.

James Sikes called 911 Monday reporting his gas pedal was stuck and he could not slow down,

In two calls that spanned 23 minutes, the dispatcher repeatedly told him to throw the car into neutral and turn it off. Sikes later said he was afraid the car would flip.

"afraid the car would flip..."

My eight year old niece comes up with more credible crap with the added benefit of being adorable!

I'm starting to really hope the guy ends up doing time for this. Maybe he and balloon boy can write a book together in the joint.

jalopnik has an interview with Sikes' old business partner.

"As soon as I heard the words "Jim Sikes" I immediately woke up out of a dead sleep and thought "uh oh what the hell is this guy up to now?" He's trying to do a scam, and get in on that lawsuit for the Toyota thing, that's immediately what i thought."

Sweet alleges numerous incidents of fraud and theft involving Sikes led him to dissolve their partnership, including an incident in which Sikes sent an employee to break into the main office to steal payment records.

More here
http://jalopnik.com/5492199/exclusive-ex+business-partner-claims-runaway-prius-driver-a-scammer

Another question I had was:

If a damned Prius will go 94 with the brake all the way down, how fast will that sumbitch go with no braking?
smirk.gif

94 top end
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

He has been toasted and his car is getting repo'd

I find it amusing that the Prius has no recall but for a software change to eliminate brake hesitation when switching from electric to gas and all of a sudden they are running away. If you can get your mats stuck under the pedal something is wrong. I have two mats stacked in mine and can fit my size 13 foot under it easy.

latimes.com
Congressional memo: Gov't, Toyota tests on runaway Prius fail to replicate San Diego incident

ELLIOT SPAGAT, KEN THOMAS

Associated Press Writers

12:05 PM PDT, March 14, 2010

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Investigators with Toyota Motor Corp. and the federal government could not replicate the runaway speeding reported by a Prius owner who said his car's accelerator stuck as he drove on a California freeway, according to a memo for a congressional panel.

The memo, obtained Saturday by The Associated Press, said the experts who examined and test drove the car could not replicate the sudden, unintended acceleration James Sikes said he encountered. A backup mechanism that shuts off the engine when the brake and gas pedals are floored also worked properly during tests.

Sikes, 61, called 911 on Monday to report losing control of his 2008 Prius as the hybrid reached speeds of 94 mph. A California Highway Patrol officer helped Sikes bring the vehicle to a safe stop on Interstate 8 near San Diego.

The incident happened at the worst possible time for Toyota, which has recalled millions of cars because of floor mats that can snag gas pedals or accelerators that can sometimes stick. Just hours before the incident, Toyota had called reporters to its Torrance, Calif. office to hear experts refute claims that the company had not identified — or fixed — what might be causing its cars to speed out of control.

Sikes' car was covered by the floor mat recall but not the one for sticky accelerators. He later told reporters that he tried to pull on the gas pedal during his harrowing ride, but it didn't "move at all."

During two hours of test drives of Sikes' car Thursday, technicians with Toyota and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration failed to duplicate the same experience that Sikes described, according to the memo written by the Republican staff of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. One congressional staff member observed the investigation of Sikes' Prius.

"Every time the technician placed the gas pedal to the floor and the brake pedal to the floor the engine shut off and the car immediately started to slow down," the memo said.

Also, the Prius is designed to shut down if the brakes are applied while the gas pedal is pressed to the floor. If it doesn't, the engine would "completely seize," according to the report that cited Toyota's "residential Hybrid expert."

"It does not appear to be feasibly possible, both electronically and mechanically that his gas pedal was stuck to the floor and he was slamming on the brake at the same time," according to the memo.

The memo did say that investigators found the front brake pads were spent.

"Visually checking the brake pads and rotor it was clearly visible that there was nothing left," it said.

John Gomez, Sikes' attorney, said the findings fail to undermine his client's story.

"I don't put a whole lot of stock in their explanation," he said Sunday. "It's not surprising they couldn't replicate it. They have never been able to replicate an incident of sudden acceleration. Mr. Sikes never had a problem in the three years he owned this vehicle."

Sikes is not trying to get famous or rich, Gomez said. The driver will not sue Toyota and is turning down media requests for interviews, he said.

Regarding the brake wear, Gomez cited a CHP officer's comment that brakes smelled as he chased Sikes on the freeway.

The brake wear was not consistent with the brakes being applied at full force for a long period, the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday, citing three people familiar with the probe, whom it did not name. The newspaper said the brakes may have been applied intermittently.

Toyota Corp. spokesman Mike Michels declined to confirm the Journal's report. He said the investigation was continuing and the company planned to release technical findings soon.

Jill Zuckman, spokeswoman for the U.S. Transportation Department that oversees the highway safety agency, said investigators "are still reviewing data and have not reached any conclusions."

The findings "certainly raise new questions surrounding the veracity of the sequence of events" reported by Sikes, said Kurt Bardella, a spokesman for California Rep. Darrell Issa, the top Republican on the oversight committee.

Sikes could not be reached to comment. However, his wife, Patty Sikes, said he stands by his story.

"Everyone can just leave us alone," she said Saturday night. "Jim didn't get hurt. There's no intent at all to sue Toyota. If any good can come out of this, maybe they can find out what happened so other people don't get killed."

Mrs. Sikes said the couple's lives have been turned upside down since Monday and they are getting death threats.

"We're just fed up with all of it," she said. "Our careers are ruined and life is just not good anymore."

Monday's incident appeared to be another blow to Toyota, which has had to fend off intense public backlash over safety after recalls of some 8.5 million vehicles worldwide — more than 6 million in the United States — because of acceleration and floor mat problems in multiple models and braking issues in the Prius. Regulators have linked 52 deaths to crashes allegedly caused by accelerator problems.

Sikes called 911 from the freeway on Monday and reported that his gas pedal was stuck. In two calls that spanned 23 minutes, a dispatcher repeatedly told him to throw the car into neutral and turn it off. Sikes later said he had put down the phone to keep both hands on the wheel and was afraid the car would flip if he put it in neutral at such high speed.

The officer eventually pulled alongside the car and told Sikes over a loudspeaker to push the brake pedal to the floor and apply the emergency brake.

Once the car slowed to 50 mph, Sikes shut off the engine, the officer said.

The congressional memo obtained by the AP describes a series of tests conducted by Toyota and the NHTSA on Wednesday and Thursday. A full diagnostics was conducted, followed by an inspection of the brakes and a test drive. Investigators also compared the Sikes vehicle to a 2008 Prius provided by a Toyota dealership.

NHTSA told congressional staff that the results "were the same on both vehicles and within the manufactures specifications," according to the memo.

Following the tests, NHTSA paid Sikes $2,500 for the gas pedal, throttle body and the two computers from his vehicle, the memo said.

Drivers of two other Toyota vehicles that crashed last week said those incidents also resulted from the vehicles accelerating suddenly.

NHTSA is sending experts to a New York City suburb where the driver of a 2005 Prius said she crashed into a stone wall Monday after the car accelerated on its own.

http://www.latimes.com/business/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-us-runaway-prius,0,2037941.story

They finally found the problem...geez why didn't I think of this

<span style="font-weight: bold">Toyota, NHTSA, the Runaway Prius and Cosmic Rays </span>It seems this story keeps getting a new character everyday. As Toyota held a press conference yesterday to dismiss the claims James Sikes, the 911 caller who said his Toyota Prius was driving out of control on a California Highway, the new character to be introduced are cosmic rays. The Detroit Free Press said federal regulators are studying whether the sudden acceleration in Toyotas is linked to cosmic rays.

The Free Press said, radiation from space long has been affecting airplanes and spacecrafts and has been known to trigger errors in computers, but can it now be linked to acceleration in vehicles, and only Toyota vehicles? Regulators are looking at the design of Toyota’s microprocessors, memory chips and software, as those could be what the cosmic rays are affecting. The radiation from the cosmic rays can cause software crashes, like the ones that have been speculated in the Toyota acceleration cases, and can come and go without a trace. This may be why it has been hard to pinpoint the problem for Toyota. To read the whole explanation, click here.

Re: Runaway Prius Guy's Story Seems a Bit Shaky to

Oh, for fuck's sake......
I work at a Toyota dealer service department and all this is driving fucking batshit. There's not a goddamned thing wrong with the fucking cars we're 'fixing' all day every day. Note that ALL the drivers have been old and short, just like the Audi drivers years ago.
As for the reports of "still doing it after the modifications" that's all bullshit. Toyota owners bitch if their dash clock is off, and if the seat heater isn't warm enough, and bring their cars to us if a turn signal bulb fails. If their cars really were 'running away' we'd hear about it.
I'm not saying it never happens. If we are to believe the poster above about his Highlander experience, we even have one of us who has experienced it. But due to the media, now every time a Toyota jumps a curb, it'll be the car's fault. I call bullshit. Bullshit bullshit BULLSHIT.

RANT MODE = [OFF]

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, for fuck's sake......
. I call bullshit. Bullshit bullshit BULLSHIT.

RANT MODE = [OFF]

1911fan
</div></div>

LOL ....... Plus a Big 1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, for fuck's sake......
I work at a Toyota dealer service department and all this is driving fucking batshit. There's not a goddamned thing wrong with the fucking cars we're 'fixing' all day every day. Note that ALL the drivers have been old and short, just like the Audi drivers years ago.
As for the reports of "still doing it after the modifications" that's all bullshit. Toyota owners bitch if their dash clock is off, and if the seat heater isn't warm enough, and bring their cars to us if a turn signal bulb fails. If their cars really were 'running away' we'd hear about it.
I'm not saying it never happens. If we are to believe the poster above about his Highlander experience, we even have one of us who has experienced it. But due to the media, now every time a Toyota jumps a curb, it'll be the car's fault. I call bullshit. Bullshit bullshit BULLSHIT.

RANT MODE = [OFF]

1911fan
</div></div>

Your not special in that department you should work with Corvette owners. Cheap bastards want everything under warranty for 20 years or 300,000 miles whichever comes second. It is just the current times we live in that people have come to expect more for less money when it comes to cars. I would imagine it is in every industry now.
So with him being short, he is I saw him in person, why do you think that has something to do with it? Just curious.

I drive a 96 Nissan truck that is just over 100k - runs like a clock.

The 1980 VW scirrocco now has a computer in it - but it's a 91 Jetta engine and the computer only controls ignition and fuel - nothing else.

I like simple - and the VW gets 54mpg - as good as a prius being driven normally.