• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes S&B people, have a reticle question.

11B-B4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Is there a 4-16x50mm illuminated PMII available with P4 reticle and milrad adjustments?

I would like to have the extra power but if not i suppose i could go with the 3-12.

Also is the 3-12 military offered with a P4 reticle or is it just the 3-12 LP that offers that?

Thanks alot, trying to stay away from the P4F if i can help it.

Re: S&B people, have a reticle question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MillSpec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes. </div></div>

Do you have any more details? I was on the S&B website and they did not list the 4-16's as having P4 reticles... also looked online and couldnt find any either. Just P4F's.

Do you have a model number? 4-16x50 illuminated PMII, Milrad adjustments, P4 reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've decided on a mil/mil illuminated 4-16 PMII to replace my IOR 3-18 SH edition optic.</div></div>
The IOR 3-18X SH Edition is a very nice scope with great glass, but I can't fault you for wanting to upgrade to a PMII, which is a more more "refined" scope overall with much better turrets and reticle choices. Compared to a PMII the IORs' are a bit "clunky".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive also decided on either the p4 or p4F reticle; however in all my searching I cant seem to find a 4-16 illuminated PMII that offers a P4 reticle.</div></div>
Really? No offense, but you're not looking hard enough. I've seen plenty of PMII 4-16Xs' come up for sale from both private individuals as well as Hide' vendors. Have you called or PM'ed Scott at Liberty Optics, Mike at CS Tactical, Alex at EuroOptics, Jay Wiggans at SportOptics.com, or Mile High Shooting Accessories? You can also PM <span style="font-style: italic">Matt in Virginia</span> - really nice guy with competitive prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read a few threads where S&B users have said they prefer the P4 as opposed to the P4F in the 4-16's, however I cant find any 4-16 PMII's offered with the P4 reticle, only the P4F.</div></div>
I am one of the guys who prefers the P4 [as well as the (Premier Reticles) Gen XL and the standard P3 Mildot] over the P4F in the 4-16X and also the 3-12X. The reason being that the P4F is harder-to-see at low power, and really doesn't start to shine (at least for me) until it is at 12X-16X. The size of the targets you shoot will also determine what works best for you. I like a lot of magnification and own two PMII 5-25X Gen 2 XRs' because I'm always shooting small targets, or small areas of targets and the magnification helps provide a more exact and consistent aiming point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if there is a 4-16 offered with a P4 or would i need to purchase a p4f and send back to the factory for the reticle swap?</div></div>
Again, check with the dealers I mentioned above. I know that at least some of them carry the PMII 4-16X with the P4, and if they don't have it in stock they can order it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the help.</div></div>
You're welcome

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also for a side note, does anyone know of an aftermarket canted base for the AI AE mkII to use with the 4-16's? </div></div>
Optimally, you want a 30 MOA base for use with a PMII 4-16X. <span style="font-style: italic">Theorietically</span>, a 25 MOA will get the job done, but as you will probably use up 1 MIL or so to zero at 100 yards the 30 is the safe bet. Anything less than 25 MOA and you will probably lose some elevation adjustment on the top end.

I'm sure that Richard Near of <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">NEAR Manufacturing</span></span> can make you a 30 MOA base for your AE MKII. IMHO his bases and rings are the finest available. Best designs, all edges radiused, and impeccable machining and finish.

I know USO makes a 20 MOA cant. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">USO 20 MOA Base AE MKII 20 MOA Base</span></span>. Maybe John (Williams, III) at USO will make you a 30 MOA if you ask. Check-out <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Anchor Zero Six</span></span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"AIAE MK 2 range report."</span></span> thread. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Anchor Zero Six</span></span> has a USO 20 MOA Rail on his AE MKII.

Keith

Unless things have changed recently the P4 is <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">not</span></span> available in the 4-16, only the P4F. However, it is offered in the 3-12 as well as the P4F.
It never made much sense to me why it was offered in the 3-12 and 5-25 but not the 4-16.

In past months, I've been in contact with Mark at S&B. Jerry is right they currently (as of September of last year) list the 4-16x50 as being available with the P3 and P4F reticle. However, the 4-16x42 IS available with the P3, P4, and P4F reticle. Like Jerry, it isn't logical to me why they wouldn't offer the 4-16x50 with the P4 reticle.

Keith and others thanks alot for your help. This answers alot of questions.

I guess I will first try to find an older 4-16x50 with the p4.

Id like to have the 50mm as opposed to the 42mm just because im guessing there is a possibility that it could have better light transmission, and optical clarity. Im just guessing here. ( i have no working knowledge of either scope)

Has anyone used the 42mm PMII versus the 50mm? How do they compare. Id like whatever scope i get into to have decent light gain and forgiving pupilary alignment. I don't know what the technical term for this is but with the IOR it seems like you have to have your eye fairly well centered to the scope tube or you can get some scope shadow fairly easily. Im guessing with the 4-14x50mm obj. this is less of an issue.

I haven't ruled out the 5-25x but i'll be mounting this on an AIAE mkII. And with me behind the gun my max effective range on a steel IPSC is maybe 1000 meters (typically the size targets i shoot). So for me I'm thinking that scope would be overkill for my rifle; plus id like to keep my rifle semi portable/field friendly.

Again guys thanks for all the help.

I have the 4-16x42 but not the 4-16x50. Mathematically, the 42mm objective isn't going to have as good light tranmission as the 50mm, but IMO the difference is very very small. The 42mm still has great glass and I like it because I can mount it lower on the rifle. Mine is in Seekins low rings on a GAP SCLE rifle and it works great.

I also have a 5-25x56 on another rifle and it too is a great scope but there is a noticeable difference in size. My next rifle is going to be an AEMkII and I'm going to wait until the S&B 3-20x50 PMII is out which should be sometime in the next few months. I would suggest that you should wait until then then decide which scope you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id like to have the 50mm as opposed to the 42mm just because im guessing there is a possibility that it could have better light transmission, and optical clarity. Im just guessing here. ( i have no working knowledge of either scope)

Has anyone used the 42mm PMII versus the 50mm? How do they compare. </div></div>

The slightly smaller exit pupil from the 42mm objective is really the only difference compared to the 50mm. Have had lots of time behind both 42mm and 50mm and I can tell you that the human eye will not be able to detect any difference in clarity, resolution or light transmission in the two.

You would be more than happy with either one.