• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S.H.O.T. Show 2012 Optics Update by SWFA, Inc.

Re: S.H.O.T. Show 2012 Optics Update by SWFA, Inc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstang1988</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They invented the invisible scope! </div></div>
The ultimate in camouflage!

On one hand I can understand why SWFA dosn't announce new optics until they are ready (or very close to ready to ship). I'm sure they want to avoid what Vortex Optics went through with the PST SNAFU. That is understandable.

I further realize that they then don't say anything and are not at SHOT because they are the only one selling their brand.

However, on the other hand, from a consumers prospective it gets frustrating. I love SS scopes as I feel they give me a great scope, great value for my money.

Last year SWFA had banners and pop ups on here and their site that elluded to new and exciting things for 2011. This generated lots of hype and anticipation for whatever they were bringing to market. So far this year....... nothing. Most other major manufacturer's show case new and proto types at SHOT, so it's natural to want to hear from SWFA too, or am I off base?

For the sake of argument, let's say their are 100 other people like me who is in the market for something in between the SS 3-9 and 5-20. Given the fact that it's winter and I am currently not doing alot of shooting here in MN I have some time before the local outdoor ranges open back up. Let's also assume that the 100 people have a $1000 budget for new glass - 100 x $1000 = $100,000. So, if absolutely needed I have approx. 3 months before I will have some sort of scope bought. If I had an idea that there was something on the drawing board, or in the pipe line I could just suck it up and wait....... or I can go another direction. If I personally go another direction and buy another brand I'll keep and use that scope - then SWFA loses $1000 x # of other folks who do the same thing. No, I'm not gonna buy something to tide me over, then sell if for a loss later, to then buy a SS. The point I'm trying to make is that throwing out a bit of specific info now could prevent X amount of dollars going somewhere else. Given the above example of $100,000, I'm sure many scope retailers would take notice of said amount.

How bout some info. SWFA?

Wow, how quickly we forget.

SWFA bent over backwards to give Hide members early access to their 5-20, giving a great deal, all with the understanding it would be shipping later. Then many went batshit crazy when "later" was later than they wanted.

I, for one, applaud SWFA not launching anything till it is ready to launch. When you tell people, especially our kind of people, something is coming, the immediate response is, "When can I get mine!" The simple way to avoid giving out bad info is to give out NO info.

I know of a few things they have in the works, they will cause a stir, but if they ain't saying what is coming, I ain't either, and the rest will find out when SWFA is damn ready to tell you.

As for the new entries, I find myself more interested in the new Henny than the new Trijicon - though I have not touched either just yet. The 47 ounce weight is almost as disturbing as the $3500 pricetag, for a Trijicon. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Trijicon fan, own many of their products, but a 3-15 has to be pretty damned spectacular to justify $3500.

Time will tell.

Thanks, SWFA, for not over-promising and under-delivering. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Seems that there is incredibly little information on new offerings coming out of the SHOT show in optics or any other category.From the consumers pov it's about new product. From the retailers that the show is for it's about retailing. What does the inventory cost, what are the terms, what are the sales incentive breaks, what co-op advertising is available and such.

Maybe we all need a forum scope to better see the details in the thread. I think I could try the SS HD 1-6x24 Illuminated that is now listed in the first page of the thread. I bet it would do the job! Would love to know more!

SWFA SS
SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Illuminated FFP
SWFA SS 12x42

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe we all need a forum scope to better see the details in the thread. I think I could try the SS HD 1-6x24 Illuminated that is now listed in the first page of the thread. I bet it would do the job! Would love to know more!

SWFA SS
SWFA SS 12x42

</div></div>
cry.gif
no 4-16??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe we all need a forum scope to better see the details in the thread. ....
SWFA SS
SWFA SS 12x42

</div></div>

That was posted a few hours after we started getting restless. lol

I'm excited about the 1-6 and in my opinion it has the potential to be "the scope" in this category based on their recent offerings. Hopefully more details will emerge in the coming days.

Now to whine about the follow-up questions
grin.gif

What reticles and what price point for these two new optics... just the same minor details posted for the other brands.

I think a 12x with .1 mil adjustments and their mil-quad reticle in a standard/classic priced SS would be a enormous hit as a solid budget option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe we all need a forum scope to better see the details in the thread. I think I could try the SS HD 1-6x24 Illuminated that is now listed in the first page of the thread. I bet it would do the job! Would love to know more!

SWFA SS
SWFA SS 12x42

</div></div>
cry.gif
no 4-16?? </div></div>

And if you already have a 5-20 please tell me what is the point of adding a 4-16 that makes no sense at all to me where a 3-12x50 might fill a gap. Really I just dont see a 4-16 happening and I love a 4-16 but 5-20 is better than 4-16 you loose one on the low end to pick up four on the high end thats a good trade off you can always run it on 16x you know. You guys mentioned what was new for 2011 seems like the new ones were the 5-20 illuminated followed by the 5-20 non illuminated the new mil-quad reticle came out in the 3-9 FFP and the 6x42 is just over a year old. The several models of the 1-4 are pretty new also that is lots of new scopes. Now they are adding two more thats a lot of products to come out when you figure that it takes about 3 years from planning to availability of an optic. If there is a model you really think should exist then speak up and explain why you think it would be a great product. SWFA has done an awesome job listening to customers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm excited about the 1-6 and in my opinion it has the potential to be "the scope" in this category based on their recent offerings. Hopefully more details will emerge in the coming days. </div></div>

I agree the 1-6 is a lot more exciting than a 1-4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Urimaginaryfrnd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe we all need a forum scope to better see the details in the thread. I think I could try the SS HD 1-6x24 Illuminated that is now listed in the first page of the thread. I bet it would do the job! Would love to know more!

SWFA SS
SWFA SS 12x42

</div></div>
cry.gif
no 4-16?? </div></div>

And if you already have a 5-20 please tell me what is the point of adding a 4-16 that makes no sense at all to me where a 3-12x50 might fill a gap. Really I just dont see a 4-16 happening and I love a 4-16 but 5-20 is better than 4-16 you loose one on the low end to pick up four on the high end thats a good trade off you can always run it on 16x you know. You guys mentioned what was new for 2011 seems like the new ones were the 5-20 illuminated followed by the 5-20 non illuminated the new mil-quad reticle came out in the 3-9 FFP and the 6x42 is just over a year old. The several models of the 1-4 are pretty new also that is lots of new scopes. Now they are adding two more thats a lot of products to come out when you figure that it takes about 3 years from planning to availability of an optic. If there is a model you really think should exist then speak up and explain why you think it would be a great product. SWFA has done an awesome job listening to customers. </div></div>

But <span style="font-style: italic">I dont</span> have a 5-20 thats the point. lol. I see what you are saying though. I was really hoping for a 3-15/ 4-16 variant since I already own a bushy 3-12. I would have loved to have bought the 5-20 during the deal last year but I didn't have the cash then and I refuse to go into debt over a rifle scope. Oh well, I guess Vortex will get my money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, how quickly we forget...</div></div>

Where's my FREAKIN' SS HD 1-6x ??? You told me about it yesterday, I want it NOW!!

(<span style="font-style: italic">sorry, tried but couldn't restrain myself...</span>
smirk.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, how quickly we forget.

SWFA bent over backwards to give Hide members early access to their 5-20, giving a great deal, all with the understanding it would be shipping later. Then many went batshit crazy when "later" was later than they wanted.

I, for one, applaud SWFA not launching anything till it is ready to launch. When you tell people, especially our kind of people, something is coming, the immediate response is, "When can I get mine!" The simple way to avoid giving out bad info is to give out NO info.

I know of a few things they have in the works, they will cause a stir, but if they ain't saying what is coming, I ain't either, and the rest will find out when SWFA is damn ready to tell you.

As for the new entries, I find myself more interested in the new Henny than the new Trijicon - though I have not touched either just yet. The 47 ounce weight is almost as disturbing as the $3500 pricetag, for a Trijicon. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Trijicon fan, own many of their products, but a 3-15 has to be pretty damned spectacular to justify $3500.

Time will tell.

Thanks, SWFA, for not over-promising and under-delivering. Quite the opposite, in fact.</div></div> Agree 100%

Many thanks for the update SWFA..... THANK YOU!

The 1-6 really has my interest.

As for why a 4-16 or 3-15 over the 5-20..... One reason I can think of would be "a little more" than the 3-9, with some real weight savings over the 5-20 if to be used on a lighter weight, carry hunting rifle while still maintaining FFP Mil/Mil.

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a 12x with .1 mil adjustments and their mil-quad reticle in a standard/classic priced SS would be a enormous hit as a solid budget option. </div></div>

This would have my interest...

I'm looking forward to seeing a 1-6x for my AR's.
I'd really like to see a 3-18 for my .308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a 12x with .1 mil adjustments and their mil-quad reticle in a standard/classic priced SS would be a enormous hit as a solid budget option. </div></div>

This would have my interest...</div></div>

Add one more. Give them all matching turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else notice some of the new Leupy's are listed as 34mm and some as 35mm tubes??

Seems odd, but maybe they needed that extra mm to pack something in.

Will make it a ring headache for them though. </div></div>

it was said that the mark 8 3-25 scope required the 35mm tube for the government contract it was built around. they couldn't get the elevation needed for the contract with 34mm apparently. Can not wait to hear about street pricing on this and the mark 6 3-18. I'm also glad that at the moment the mk6 seems to have some parity in pricing with the mk4 er/t with locking turrets. on the surface, it seems to be a superior product, I'm sure there's a tradeoff somewhere that i'm missing...

The new 12x42 classic SS will have the Mil-Quad reticle and .10 mil adjustments (5 mils per turn).

All of these will also have the Mil-Quad and .10 mil adjustments too. Available this spring.

SS 6x42
SS 10x42
SS 10x42 M
SS 16x42
SS 20x42

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new 12x42 classic SS will have the Mil-Quad reticle and .10 mil adjustments (5 mils per turn).

All of these will also have the Mil-Quad and .10 mil adjustments too. Available this spring.

SS 6x42
SS 10x42
SS 10x42 M
SS 16x42
SS 20x42 </div></div>

That was the ONE thing keeping me from the fixed SS scopes (moa/mil)!!! That in itself is an awesome offering!!!! I'm excited about a solid scope wIth decent glass and great dependability, now (or soon to be) offered with a nice reticle and mil knobs, all at a bargain price!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dk-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new 12x42 classic SS will have the Mil-Quad reticle and .10 mil adjustments (5 mils per turn).

SS 6x42
SS 10x42
SS 10x42 M
SS 16x42
SS 20x42 </div></div>

That was the ONE thing keeping me from the fixed SS scopes (moa/mil)!!! That in itself is an awesome offering!!!! I'm excited about a solid scope wIth decent glass and great dependability, now (or soon to be) offered with a nice reticle and mil knobs, all at a bargain price!!! </div></div>

Spot on. I played with a prototype of a 12x42 with 0.1mil clicks and thought it was a very nice scope. Matching the knobs to the reticle really makes a difference and just a touch extra magnification was unexpectedly useful for target shooting. Higher magnification version of this scope, to me, are a little bit limited because of the small exit pupil, but the 12x42 is a very nice compromise.

ILya

12x magnification, 40+ mils of elevation, mil/mil knobs, mil-quad reticle, SWFA customer service and known SWFA SS reliability & quality?

For $300, give or take?

Now for the obvious question - when does the group buy start? <grin>

Matching reticles with Mil Quad! Finally the time has come for a fixed scope!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Keebler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are the reticles for the Trijcon Tars that they have listed on there site. http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=TARS&mid=3-15x50 </div></div>

The TARS will have 44mils of elevation. That and its weight gives me the impression that it is specifically designed for lapua mags, chey tacs and bmgs. No way would my Win May ever need that much weight and reticle travel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Keebler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are the reticles for the Trijcon Tars that they have listed on there site. http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=TARS&mid=3-15x50 </div></div>

The TARS will have 44mils of elevation. That and its weight gives me the impression that it is specifically designed for lapua mags, chey tacs and bmgs. No way would my Win May ever need that much weight and reticle travel. </div></div>

Why would they offer it as a 3-15 and not a 5-25 if it was to be ELR optic.. I think they designed the optic around durability and didn't think about weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For clarity, it is not a 12X zoom, it is a 12X fixed. </div></div>

I meant 12x magnification....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Keebler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are the reticles for the Trijcon Tars that they have listed on there site. http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=TARS&mid=3-15x50 </div></div>

The TARS will have 44mils of elevation. That and its weight gives me the impression that it is specifically designed for lapua mags, chey tacs and bmgs. No way would my Win May ever need that much weight and reticle travel. </div></div>

Why would they offer it as a 3-25 and not a 5-25 if it was to be ELR optic.. I think they designed the optic around durability and didn't think about weight. </div></div>

If ruggedness was the name of the game, it at least looks like they accomplished their mission. looking at the photos that I've seen, the one word that comes to mind is 'robust' that thing looks like it would give a baseball bat a run for its money as a melee weapon.

"Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) 7.62 M6C1, Matte, Illum. Front Focal CMR-W"

Solved me looking for something for my OBR and PVS-24...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new 12x42 classic SS will have the Mil-Quad reticle and .10 mil adjustments (5 mils per turn).

SS 6x42
SS 10x42
SS 10x42 M
SS 16x42
SS 20x42 </div></div>

Props to SWFA again. This news was worth the wait. I better sell off my 16X before this news spreads while I wait on a MIL/MIL!
wink.gif

Will the mil/mil models replace the originals all together? What should we expect to see price wise? I expect with the redesign and better reticle there will be a price increase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MP15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't wait to hear the reviews of the Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP PST.

Fingers crossed that SWFA releases a similar SS scope before the PST........? Pretty please? </div></div>

The vortex seems to have been removed. Was looking forward to that one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For clarity, it is not a 12X zoom, it is a 12X fixed. </div></div>

I meant 12x magnification.... </div></div>

10-4, just didn't want someone thinking they were getting a zoom in the box when they ordered a 12X SS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of these will also have the Mil-Quad and .10 mil adjustments too. Available this spring.

SS 10x42
SS 16x42
SS 20x42 </div></div>

OUTFREAKINSTANDING!!!!

That is why I love SWFA!! You guys actually freakin listen!! I am definately going to be sporting these new BadAsses!!

Time to get all the other less than SS scopes gone!! YEEEHAAA!!

DK (one happy camper!!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">12x magnification, 40+ mils of elevation, mil/mil knobs, mil-quad reticle, SWFA customer service and known SWFA SS reliability & quality?

For $300, give or take?

Now for the obvious question - when does the group buy start? <grin> </div></div>

Thats what I'm talking about!!!

Thank you SWFA! These cannot come out fast enough!

This is what I have been begging for. I actually got to spend some time behind my Mil-Quad reticle before I had to let it go. Man, talk about a difference in range estimation!! And to add to that fact, the MIL/MIL combo, on the best freakin scopes for the money BAR NONE!!

I am "IN", yet again for another round of the SS line!!

DK

If they would use the single screw turret locking screw they would be hitting it out of the park. A much better design than the three screw setup imo.

Good luck,
Merritt

Yep, I agree with the center screw. But I am thrilled none the less...

DK

However, that might be just what they did with the new .10MIL knobs... like the 5-20XSS!! I will be finding out soon...

DK

Man, If they did go with the turret design of the 5-20 I'd be in for a couple of 12x's.. I love my 5-20 but the 3 set screws and tall awkward knobs have kept me away from the standard swfa fixed scopes.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 12xhd either..

I know alot of guys are also anti min/min. But my biggest request would be a min/min version. I went to a USO because I wanted it and no one else that I completely trusted made one. I know both systems so switching back and forth is not problem so I'll probably end up with a 12x myself or possible a 20x for the 7stw (long range rig) I'm going to be building soon.

Either way SWFA makes great products and I would have no trouble trusting one. The glass upgrade to the USO was worth it to me though.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">12x magnification, 40+ mils of elevation, mil/mil knobs, mil-quad reticle, SWFA customer service and known SWFA SS reliability & quality?

For $300, give or take?

Now for the obvious question - when does the group buy start? <grin> </div></div>

Thats what I'm talking about!!! </div></div>

amen to that.....let's get it going

SS 6x42
SS 10x42
SS 10x42 M
SS 16x42
SS 20x42 </div></div>

Applause!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
grin.gif

Very glad you did this finally. Gonna save me thousands of dollars in the future.

Please tell me that you retained the "10Y parallax" which is another feature that set them apart from most of the scopes out there???

Steve

we need a group buy on the new 12x and the 16x & 20x as I'd like one of each..haha