• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns S&W Model 41 vintages

Roslyn

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2013
Wanted to ask whether anyone has a view on mid 1980s Model 41 pistols. I have the impression, and can't recall where it came from, that this pistol was manufactured differently (and not as well) starting around 1985, or that something changed (for the worse) in its design then. My real question is whether I should avoid buying a used Model 41 from 1987 (seemingly in exceptional condition) because of shortcomings of product built then.

Casting myself into the SH pool hoping someone can unravel my poorly asked question….

My information relates nothing of note for the 1980's M41 except that SN began with TAA starting in 1984. My first M41 was from the time frame you describe. It was an excellent shooter and my buddy still owns and shoots it well to this day. I have never seen a bad M41. I have seen a couple of finicky ones. As long as price is not too high I would go for the one you're asking about.

I wouldn't worry about the M-41 from most any era. I've never seen one that wasn't accurate. They can occasionally be finicky but never saw one that couldn't be made reliable with proper lubrication, good ammo and proper magazines.

In the mid to late 90's IIRC they did seem to get away from the hi polish bluing to more of a matte black.

I imagine you're thinking of the early guns, pre '78, with a cocking indicator. The indicator will be visible centered in the rear of the slide. These guns bring a significant premium though I have no idea whether they are any "better." An interesting iteration of these was the 5" standard or sporter barrel. It was much lighter than the 5 1/2" bull and made a great belt gun. I sold mine with both barrels in the '80s. I wish you hadn't reminded me.

I sold mine with both barrels in the '80s. I wish you hadn't reminded me.

I keep hearing guys say they have regretted selling their M41s. It probably is the cocking indicator that was stuck in my mind. Turns out the serial number is TAB1326, FWIW, which evidently means manufacture in 1985. I haven't owned one before, looking forward to it.

Thank you all for the help….

Roslyn,

The 41 is a very very good handgun. You will not be able to realize it's capabilities without quality ammo. My 41 was not noticeably better than my Ruger convertibles if I was shooting mini-mags. If you are already familiar with high performing .22s than you already appreciate the difference quality ammo makes.

Roslyn,

The 41 is a very very good handgun. You will not be able to realize it's capabilities without quality ammo. My 41 was not noticeably better than my Ruger convertibles if I was shooting mini-mags. If you are already familiar with high performing .22s than you already appreciate the difference quality ammo makes.
Shooting offhand can you really notice a difference? I consider myself a better handgun shot than most of the local range guys, and I doubt my personal skill is enough to resolve the difference in quality ammo vs cheap. My Buckmark is the most accurate pistol I own, I never delved into the better pistols such as the 41 because I don't think I'd ever be a good enough offhand shot to tell the difference. I have no doubt they are mechanically more accurate, it's just that I have no desire to shoot my pistol off a rest, nor do I think my skill will ever develop to the point where I can truly utilize such a fine piece.

they never wear out, grew up shooting one that had a 4 digit serial # no letters ( 7" with factory brake and weights and it also had a factory 5" field barrel ) traded off one season for a 41-1 (Dads guns) that shot shorts before buying my own gun, a Browning Medalist and when you shoot bulls eye a few seasons you can tell the difference in the ammo as you get into using the recoil to set up for your next shot in rapid fire and the dot if you use one tracks more consistently shot to shot so you can call shots easier
the 41s wore a "B-Square" mount that clamped on and I had a gunsmith make a mount that clamped to the rib on my Medalist as I couldn't bring myself to alter the Medalist it is just too damn beautiful to go putting holes in it. I preferred the Medalist grip angle and the unique dry-fire setting and for me it just shot better but I would have no problem using either of those old 41s

IIRC the 41s around the mid 80's started coming from S&W more like the old M-46s no cocking indicator some folks use them in steel matches and aftermarket barrels are out there.

I wouldn't worry about the M-41 from most any era. I've never seen one that wasn't accurate.

Well, I had an opportunity to shoot the pistol this afternoon. Ammunition was Eley Match, all I happened to have on hand. First five shots inside a two inch ShootNC at 7 yards as I was figuring out the hold and trigger, then next five shots inside a 5/8ths inch ShootNC at 7 yards, then five more... up and to the right some, but still a sub one inch group, as I was a little wound up after the second string. Not Olympic caliber shooting, but the pistol wasn't the problem. No way I will be able to shoot inside the capabilities of this thing.

The trigger is light and crisp. No wonder the pistol has such a great reputation. So, I bought it.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.