• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAKO QUAD ACCURACY

KAZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2004
BROWNWOOD, TX
OK, I'm interested in the SAKO Quad and I know some of you have built up some fine examples. I would like to see some targets of just how they shoot with famous brand barrels. This is a standard group shot at 50 yds with my 40X on the USBR target which most of you know is a tiny bull. I'm thinking of building a Quad so that is the reason for the questions, not a 40X vs Quad thread:
1. Size 5 shot groups
2. Extraction reliability
3. Build cost. How much to make it shoot in 50 yd benchrest USBR
CIMG1161.jpg

Re: SAKO QUAD ACCURACY

Ive only shot mine once with the Lilja barrel but it would easily have duplicated your posted target with Wolf MT...Eley match was even better, its just down right accurate. It shot so well ive contemplated turning it in to a dedicated BR rifle as well

oh and i stoned my extractor and have had ZERO issues. I didnt have any before the mod with the factory barrel but i had read about others having the issues so i decided to do it for reliability if some other non tested ammo decides to get picky

Thanks DirtRacer, that is exactly the kind of feed back that I am interested in. So approx $400 for a barrel, $250 for a Stith stock, $150 to get it bedded. What about the trigger? Need to get to 4-6 oz at the most. Have you tried any of the USBR targets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks DirtRacer, that is exactly the kind of feed back that I am interested in. So approx $400 for a barrel, $250 for a Stilth stock, $150 to get it bedded. What about the trigger? Need to get to 4-6 oz at the most. Have you tried any of the USBR targets? </div></div>

I paid about $375 for the barrel shipped, whats a Stilth stock? I just sent my trigger to Larry Gish on friday. Supposedly he takes it down to 8oz and has gotten good reviews on RimfireCentral http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291355
Im waiting for some more Eley then im gonna really put her to the test. Its no surprise it shot best with Eley...i guess that what kinda chamber Lilja cuts in to them. I only had 50rnds last time and i was mostly just doing grouping testing. I'll be using the wolf for practice and plinking because of price and Eley for when i need to get serious

NM i didnt realize you were talking about Don Stith stocks. This is the route i'll go if i do make her a dedicated BR rifle

Well, it seems that some are using the Quad in Sporter Class which is full of competition. I hope that you do build a BR out of yours. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a Quad, or start with a new TURBO($$$) action. The ability to change barrels myself is intriguing. Then again if proper bore guide and rod are used a rimfire barrel has longevity. A fun project in any case.

The Lilja barrel puts Eley Team through the same hole at 50 yards and groups around 1" at 100 yards. Haven't had an FTE with this ammo yet.

With no indoor ranges, and our wind a five shot one hole group is a thing to see. Please post a picture. That would be a 250-25X on the USBR target! Regards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtRacer151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh and i stoned my extractor and have had ZERO issues. I didnt have any before the mod with the factory barrel but i had read about others having the issues so i decided to do it for reliability if some other non tested ammo decides to get picky </div></div>

My searchFU is off to night. I have heard thing term "I stoned whatever" but have not ever fully understood what it means. I search but all I keep finding was pot related things. Would someone please explain it to me. I am guessing it means some type of polishing or smoothing. like sandpaper?

I didn't keep anything from 50 yards. Its meant to be a trainer, for 300 yards to simulate the 308 Win at 1000 yards so I really don't care about 50 yards. A lot of ammo did well at 50 yards, but the Eley stuff really shined at 100. Didn't seen any improvement with Match over Team though. None of the Lapua stuff did as good, not even Center X. Never tried Wolf, but I did try SK. Here are some 100 yards results from my ammo tests:

P1050095.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cm92</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtRacer151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh and i stoned my extractor and have had ZERO issues. I didnt have any before the mod with the factory barrel but i had read about others having the issues so i decided to do it for reliability if some other non tested ammo decides to get picky </div></div>

My searchFU is off to night. I have heard thing term "I stoned whatever" but have not ever fully understood what it means. I search but all I keep finding was pot related things. Would someone please explain it to me. I am guessing it means some type of polishing or smoothing. like sandpaper? </div></div>

CM92,

check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290940

there's a nice pic of what some have done to their extractor to improve removal of unfired rounds.

I'm in the process of a Quad build - just awaiting a stock from Manners. Have the Lilja barrel hanging with a coat of Alumahyde 2 curing, and had a trigger job done by Larry Gish. I hope to tackle the extractor re-shaping in the next week or two. Just in case I f*$# up, I did order an extra extractor assembly from Beretta.

That is nice work at 100! The reason for my 50 yard interest is that is the main distance for our matches. As much as we have to understand the wind at 50, I can see that out where you are playing it will be good training for you. We have our wind flags to help, and the difference is who can read the wind on that little pill the best when you are trying to shoot 25 X. Regards