• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako Quad Range 22LR Build FINISHED

I had read the range line was discontinued, not sure about all quad lines though. That was why I jumped at the opportunity to buy one with the set trigger. I read talk about a new Quad line like 5years ago- not sure if the Finnfire 2 was the result, if there’s something else coming, or it’s all BS.
That was a special gun for me as I got the whole set with case and Burris scope. The bolt knob just wasn’t for me so I made a tactical knob for it as I am a machinist. That was the first 22 my kids learned on because the tac knob allowed them to take a full grip with their small hands and work it. Now the kids appreciate the accuracy and can hit targets out to 125 yards with ease.

If anyone can find one, and willing to pay the price, I would highly recommend the original Finnfire Hunter, Varmint or Range. Barrels can still be swapped although not nearly as easy as the Quad series. The Finnfire models all have a match chamber where the bullet is seated into the rifling. I wouldn't ever buy a drop in barrel hoping to increase the accuracy of the Finnfire models. The Quad can probably benefit from a better drop in barrel.

First Finnfire Range I bought.
Sako Finnfire Range 7-28-19.jpg

Second Finnfire Range. Bought this with the intent on putting on a 17 HM2 barrel.
0813191918.jpg

Third Finnfire I bought. This one was missing the magwell and magazine. After buying a magwell I have $570 in this rifle.
Sako Hunter 8-17-19.jpg

A day shooting the 17 HM2 and Quad Range. Decided to take some comparison photos.
IMG_20200314_192506.jpg
IMG_20200314_192608.jpg
IMG_20200314_192616.jpg

Break in day for the Lilja barrel. Done according with Lilja instructions.
IMG_20191007_175931.jpg

IMG_20200314_192513.jpg

I think that would be a good idea. I’d be willing to help get the word out by trying to find interested Sako Quad owners on this forum and informing them about the survey thread. I know rimfire central and the Sako owners forum will also have some interested buyers too, but I’m not a member.

I think the important thing to remember is that Sterk said he’s a one-man operation. If we want the part, we should try doing some leg work to help. Also since there isn’t a huge market for Quad parts, we should probably do some kind of pre-order or a small downpayment. This could help provide the cash for R&D, or at least give some assurance that the shrouds will sell.
I'm not a frequent visitor to either of those two forums, but I'm a member of both. If you were to start a thread here about interest in a Sterk Quad Bolt Shroud Survey (or something to that effect), I could post threads over at RFC and the Sako Owners Forum telling people about the Survey here. IIRC, it's against Forum Rules at both of those sites to embed direct links to other forums, but I could mention the Survey to members there. I think it's worth a shot to drive interest in a Quad Shroud Survey over here.

Keith

Last edited:
Hmmm.... that is one finely crafted broomstick you got there

Kisssofdeath- “From my experience with Liljia, both personal and product wise, I'd rather make my own barrel from a wood broom stick than use/buy something from Lilja.“
Yeah, that was my first, last and only Lilja purchase. Also, that's where I got my experience from to make my comment. In all fairness, the 17 HM2 barrel does shoot good. Then again,....it is the only game in town.

Hold off on any bolt shroud survey threads for now. I’m going to get the okay from the mods so we can all proceed with this without any worries. Hopefully we can ditch the plastic soon.

I had read the range line was discontinued, not sure about all quad lines though. That was why I jumped at the opportunity to buy one with the set trigger. I read talk about a new Quad line like 5years ago- not sure if the Finnfire 2 was the result, if there’s something else coming, or it’s all BS.

I dont know about situation in US, but at least in EU market there is still no problem getting a Quad. In Slovakia however, there is a waiting list of 6 to 12 months, as the local importer doesnt get stuff frequently. I have paid a list price of 1460€ for my one, with 22LR barrel, Set Trigger and threaded muzzle. That was in 2019, nowadays they are about 5-7% more expensive.

As for the older Finnfires, no chance of getting it here where I live. Never held one, never saw one, nor even seen anybody talk about them on local sites.

Update on barrel info:

I am currently talking to an old local craftman, a master of gunsmithing from what I´ve heard, he does custom barrel work for Blaser R8, R93 and other rifles. He said that he can produce a custom made barrel for my Quad, using a BixnAndy barrel blank, that should be from his experience even higher standard than Krieger. Will post an update when i´ll be briefed on time, cost and details.

I was already told that the project is possible, he has a match reamer ready, and we are currently discussing lenght, rate of twist etc. Price still unknown, i am hoping it will be a sane number.

A bespoke barrel like this, a proper glass & pillar bedding, and maybe the BnA trigger should push the Quad action to its accuracy limits using the correct and sorted ammunition. I really dont know what to expect from this project. Do you think that accuracy of match grade Anschutz rifles or Vudoo custom builds can be achieved with Quad action?

Absolutely. Rimfire accuracy is about great barrels finding compatible ammo

I would agree with Sgeorge. Any quality barrel with the right ammo will shoot right along with the $2,500 rifles. What you get with that $2,500 rifle "IMO" is more opportunity or better odds of getting a better shooter in general and being easier to find great shooting ammo.

For example, late this evening I shot my 457 with IBI barrel. I have approximately $650 in this barreled action with stock trigger, $1,400 with the MPA chassis.
IMG_20200921_194259.jpg

I shot this target this evening with the above rifle. I have three Anschutz with the 54 action that won't shoot any better than this. The difference is if I bought 10 different types of ammo the Anschutz will probably shoot 5-6 types like this where as this 457 with IBI may shoot 2-3 like this. I do have some SK Rifle Match and Lapua Pistol King that will shoot like this in the 457/IBI.
457 IBI Lapua Center-X 9-21-20.jpg

Reactions: Appalachian
I am curious now, how many rimfires do you actually have ? :D
Funny you asked that. I have a purchase list of every firearm I have bought but that doesn't capture all of them. Since I'll be moving to VA shortly, now I am taking an inventory with photos of every firearm I have. So far I have completed the rimfire handgun part and found that I have 39 rimfire handguns. Next I want to do the centerfire handguns then onto rifles. But I estimate around 60 or so rimfire rifles. It will take a full day to do the rimfire rifles.

When I took the photos, first I took a collection photo then a photo of each individual handgun both left and right side plus a close up of the S/N if I couldn't read it in the other photos.

High Standard collection.
High Standard Collection 9-17-20.jpg

Colt collection.
Colt Collection 9-17-20.jpg

Browning's
Browning Pistol Collection 9-17-20.jpg

Smith & Wessons's
S & W Collection 9-17-20.jpg

Anschutz
Anschutz Collection 9-17-20.jpg

Ruger's
Ruger Collection 9-17-20.jpg

Various one off.
Various Rimfire Handguns 9-17-20.jpg

Only one left out is my Uberti Stallion and I'm saving it for the revolver photos because I only have 3 revolvers. If anyone wants to know any particulars about any of them just send me an email.

Y'all have to realize, I'm not old but I'm not young either. I have had years to accumulate these.

Reactions: obx22 and jbell
Since we are talking about the Quad Range and muzzle brakes come up I have decided to do a test with mine. All around accuracy has never really been stellar with mine so anything I do can't hurt. Don't get me wrong, it's accurate "it's a 70%-80% 1/2" rifle" but not near as much as my P94S Range and Varmint models or my two M 78's or P 72. All my older Sakos are more accurate.

I'm going to start with my Lantec Dragon first and see how it does.

View attachment 7427110View attachment 7427111View attachment 7427112View attachment 7427113

This is the target I want to be better than. This is a typical target for this rifle. How I grade all precision on all my rifles are at what percentage can they shoot 1/2" or better by shooting ten, 5-shot groups at 55 yards. Measured center to center with a ruler. This is a 70% target, hence 7 of 10.
View attachment 7427116

These are 10 shot groups with the Silencerco Sparrow. For some unknown reason I broke my normal way of shooting and shot five, 10-shot groups.
View attachment 7427117
Hi Kisssofdeath,
do you know whether the Sako Quad comes with a recoil lug? Saw one in the schematic but never find one in my rifle. Thank you for your help.

Beautiful. Wish I had done more research before impulse doing a 10/22.

Reactions: Easa
If I remember correctly the Quad Range has a recoil lug fitted in the stock, and the action has a cutout for the lug.
That's right, I didn't look at the stock but the lug is small and it's in the stock at the very rear of receiver.

So the lug is limited to Range model only I guess? I ordered a manners stock for my Quad, Brownells has the lug for sale. Not sure whether I have to get one for my new build.

Anyone could post a pic of the lug? Many thanks.

Thanks a lot. Seems mine doesn't come with the lug anyway...
6a1367363327d7e321bb8899dd8e1df.jpg

496e3a03d086381d26d6bdfb290a0ee.jpg

Greetings from Slovakia guys,

Last month was kind of sad for me, as I was mostly unable to shoot due to my scope being on RMA. Sightron turned out to have a faulty parallax correction, and also caused POI change when I zoomed in or out. Eventually I managed to get my money back, and went for another scope, which might or might not be an overkill.

View attachment 7421358

This is my rifle as of today, fitted with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 MIL-R which i got brand new for 1700€. As for ammo, i currently use Lapua Center-X and CCI Standards. Will spend some time training for a local rimfire competition season, starting in March. People mostly use old CZ's and Anschutz for these, so Sako will sure be an unicorn there.

Talking about upgrades, I must say that the Sterk Swept Ball handle was the single most useful upgrade for this gun. For now, it is in a state that I've always wanted, greatly surpassing my capabilities as a shooter, not really requiring any additional work. But you know this sport, so i might eventually get a Lilja barrel or BnA trigger. Was also looking on Accuracy 1st ball level, and I still need to convince Sterk to machine titanium bolt shroud as he does for Tikka's :D

I need to get to a shape when I can shoot 0.5 centimetre target @ 50m/55y with confidence just with bipod and no rear support. Gun is capable of that, I am currently not. 1 MOA or slightly sub MOA is my best score now.
Again, really Nice (Quad) Range you have there, Easa. After I saw the Sterk Swept Ball Bolt Handle on your Range I had to have one. No one in the States had one in stock, so I emailed Sterk directly and was lucky enough to snag the last he had. As it turned-out John was going to be CeraKoting it along with a batch of other parts, and at my request John was kind enough to CeraKote the Bolt Handle & Adapter Sniper Grey but CeraKote the Knob Black. (The finish of the Bolt Sleeve on my Quad is sort of an anthracite, so I figured Sniper Grey would be a decent match). I think it looks pretty good, but I'll let you and the Sniper's Hide' community be the judge. Below are some photos of my Sniper Grey & Black Sterk Swept Ball Bolt Handle on my euroOptic Sako Quad.

Keith

Last edited:
It is a bolt shroud made out of titanium. Not going to be cheap. Aluminum could be useful but titanium is however best for the job.

If I remember correctly the shroud takes the force of the firing spring via the pin that goes through it. So a possible crack in the plastic might be enough for it to start wiggling and letting the pin go loose.

The plastic shroud is good for its job. Plastics are nowadays very good. But titanium is a cool overkill.
You know, now that I know what the factory (plastic) Magazine Guide/Box cost ($144.99 at Brownells!), $100.00 for a machined Titanium Bolt Shroud doesn't sound so bad, especially factoring-in the cost of tooling and the fact that the Quad aftermarket is very small. I consider a Titanium Bolt Shroud a "passive performance part". Other than near elimination of the possibility of breakage it won't improve the performance of the rifle or the shooter. However, the strength inherent in quality titanium parts means the Shroud will probably never break in normal use and will still be on there when you pass the rifle on to your grandkids. Same goes for the Magazine Guide.

So, if cannoncrossfire ever considers making a run of Bolt Shrouds (I'd prefer something non-flashy that looks like the factory Shroud), and/or a Magazine Guide for the Quad I'd be in. And I'd be fine if John imposed a 50% Non-Refundable Deposit just so people have "skin in the game", making them less likely to disappear after committing to buy. I know all about that crap. The Deposit might make John more comfortable about committing R & D and other resources to the project. For now we can only hope.

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: Near miss
You know, now that I know what the factory (plastic) Magazine Guide/Box cost ($144.99 at Brownells!), $100.00 for a machined Titanium Bolt Shroud doesn't sound so bad, especially factoring-in the cost of tooling and the fact that the Quad aftermarket is very small. I consider a Titanium Bolt Shroud a "passive performance part". Other than near elimination of the possibility of breakage it won't improve the performance of the rifle or the shooter. However, the strength inherent in quality titanium parts means the Shroud will probably never break in normal use and will still be on there when you pass the rifle on to your grandkids. Same goes for the Magazine Guide.

So, if cannoncrossfire ever considers making a run of Bolt Shrouds (I'd prefer something non-flashy that looks like the factory Shroud), and/or a Magazine Guide for the Quad I'd be in. And I'd be fine if John imposed a 50% Non-Refundable Deposit just so people have "skin in the game", making them less likely to disappear after committing to buy. I know all about that crap. The Deposit might make John more comfortable about committing R & D and other resources to the project. For now we can only hope.

Keith

Did you bring up the Quad shrouds to cannoncrossfire when you bought the last swept back bolt for the Quad? Last time I spoke with cannon he said he’d consider the making shrouds, but he was busy at the time.

Did you bring up the Quad shrouds to cannoncrossfire when you bought the last swept back bolt for the Quad? Last time I spoke with cannon he said he’d consider the making shrouds, but he was busy at the time.
I didn't. The reason that I emailed John directly is that I I couldn't find the Sterk Quad Swept Ball Bolt Handle anywhere in the States. Also, from the posts I'd read in this thread before I got the feeling that the Shrouds (and anything else) were a long shot so I was happy just to get a Swept Ball Bolt Handle from him. However, seeing your reply to me yesterday prompted me to email John again a few minutes ago. We'll have to see if anything comes of it.

Keith

Hello guys, long time no see.

As for me and my Quad, we are still unfinished here. Bedding, ball trigger and a custom barrel from BixnAndy blank is still about to be fitted, but first there was no time and money also had to go elsewhere, and now, due to COVID crisis in Slovakia (the attitude of our government is prime example of dumb) i cannot even visit the gunsmith, so we are somehow on hiatus for now. In fact, i havent even shot the thing since November, had fun with Beretta 92G LTT and a newly acquired Kimber K6S DASA 3" in the meantime.

My neighbour and a shooting buddy is planning to enter the rimfire world, as the CZ 457 AT-ONE was just released on our market. However, a few days ago, a listing of used but very nice Sako Quad Range including Harris bipod and a rail has popped up, for a very good price, so of course I am pushing him this way.

What about our joint order of bolt shrouds? Anything new? Was anybody in touch with Sterk?

Thanks for the update hope you get it shoot to your liking. I picked up a bone stock quad I’m pretty happy with shoots great with good ammo

Hello guys,

(First of all sorry for my English, I am not so skilled in English gunsmithing terms, but I guess that you will not have a problem understanding)

A little update about the current status. The gunsmith that I had contacted in the first place refused to make the barrel, as he had no experience with Quad barrel system and rimfires in general. That was unfortunate, as we already had an agreement about this. So, here came a bit of frustration on my side as there are not many skilled gunsmiths in my country when it comes to barrel work. I even thought about selling the rifle and ordering Vudoo from USA, or Anschutz 1927 with its biathlon style bolt.

Eventually i was pointed to right direction and found one, with a fully equipped workshop. I managed to visit him on monday this week, and spent there fair amount of hours. He took apart my gun in front of me, and here are his findings:

1) Front action screw is too short due to DIP aluminium bottom plate, there are several unused threads in the action, so this will be corrected either by milling or using a different action screw.

2) Sako Quad Range does have a terrible bedding from the factory, as the rear action screw is just going through air, and the action is pushing into wood elsewhere. This will be corrected by glass & pillar bedding job that I wanted to do anyways. It will also correct the fact, that the action is quite wobbly in the stock without screws - i want it to come out and back consistently and tightly when doing maintenance or cleaning.

3) Original trigger spring was too stiff, he replaced it with a custom one, trigger was immediately better. There will be an additional tuning of the trigger, so i think that I might even avoid the BnA ball trigger upgrade completely, we will see. I had the opportunity to try the BnA on his Tikka TAC A1, it really is out of this world. No play, no movement, just click. Well, that was his setting. I think that I would prefer a two stage trigger like the TRG has.

4) The most important part, the barrel. First thing, the crown is done very poorly from the factory. Second, those of you that have Quads, do yourself a favor and remove the barrel screw. You might be lucky and got a more fitting piece, but at least on my rifle, once the screw is out, there is a terrible wobble / play in literally every direction and axis. Worst part is the "variable" front to back headspace/breechface play that is unacceptable on the rifle of this level and cost. For example, the barrel of Tikka T1X is held in place by !three! screws instead of our one. I guess they had to make sacrifices for the quick release system, but holy jesus how can I speak of precision when my barrel is relying on one screw and no other contact?

The guy literally took some junk piece of barrel blank, a caliper measuring tool, looked on the Quad´s barrel bedding /breechface/ shape, threw it in and out of the lathe a few times, and in 20 minutes managed to mill out something, that had almost zero play once inserted inside the action without screw. The front-back or "bolt" play was literally non-existent. Needless to say, I had a feeling that I just found the right guy for the job.

So, here is what comes next. We ordered a barrel blank at Lothar Walther, a 26" (you can shorten it anyways, not so easily to go backwards right) long, stainless, Savage 110 varmint contour with match treatment (selected one with bore lap). Once it arrives, he will mill out match chamber with his reamer, crown it, and design the barrel bedding / breechface in a different way than the original is done - the grey pressure plate that resides under the barrel will come out, and the breech will be done as tightly as possible. Once the headspace is set, barrel will be fixed in place by screw with direct contact to the barrel, and loctited in place. This way, the barrel will fit there firmly and tightly (i will never use the rifle for different caliber than the 22LR), but I will still be able to put the rifle back to factory condition.

I expect (and hope!) that with all these modifications, the rifle will finally hit the peak rimfire repeater level of accuracy and performance, and will be able to stand against Annies & Vudoos.

Estimated time is 8-10 weeks. Wish me luck. Be free to post your thoughts and opinions.

Your English was great shit im from GA. I didnt read anything that was confusing or not correct,good luck with the build...

In the meantime

- Paid a barrel deposit today

- Ordered a J&P Products Custom Sako Quad Striker Spring Set for faster and stronger ignition. Smells snake oil to me, but at this point i am both curious and desperate enough to try out everything.

- We have decided that apart from the action itself, the barrel will also have a glass bedding for the first inch or two, like you see in the picture (not my photo, found it online). The main reason, among others, was to relieve the action from a stress caused by the lever force of such heavy barrel, and therefore more stabilize tensions between barrel, action and stock during temperature and humidity changes.

182328640_295833288932865_5759175430716006913_n.jpg

- Reamer type has been chosen. After long discussion and gathering information, a 22LR Match Chamber designed by Kevin Nevius for Lapua ammunition will be cut into my barrel.

I will bring this rifle to top level, I must, but i almost feel that I am falling down endless rabbit hole. For those interested in numbers:

Rifle: 1460 EUR
Spare Magazines: 50 EUR
Muzzle brake: 50 EUR (Used first and last time)
DIP Trigger guard: 80 EUR(inc. shipping and import)
Sterk Swept Ball handle: 150 EUR (You have no idea what monstrosity importing gun stuff from AU to SVK really is, it was main part of the cost)
Harris 6-9 Bipod: 100 EUR
Nuprol XL Hardcase: 120 EUR
Spuhr SA 3601 Scope mount: 250 EUR
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 ZS MRAD: 1700 EUR
Firing pin springs: 50 EUR (inc. shipping and import)

Lothar Walther customized barrel, bedding, accurizing, barrel and trigger work: 1400 EUR (estimated cost)

About 5400 EUR / 6500 USD. Holy moly that would be a nice Sako TRG 22 with scope and mount included. Or a barefoot AI. Or almost a freaking 50BMG like EDM Windrunner. Am I genuinely retarded or just plain stupid? I dont know. And the worst part of it? In my country, and basically in the whole EU, you have to fill out 10 forms, pay three different fees and wait month for an approval when you want to piss down your own barrel. Oh guys how much do I envy you being in the country where you can order anything online.

Easa, the (now) poor Sako owner. Wish me luck.

In the meantime

- Ordered a J&P Products Custom Sako Quad Striker Spring Set for faster and stronger ignition. Smells snake oil to me, but at this point i am both curious and desperate enough to try out everything.

- We have decided that apart from the action itself, the barrel will also have a glass bedding for the first inch or two, like you see in the picture (not my photo, found it online). The main reason, among others, was to relieve the action from a stress caused by the lever force of such heavy barrel, and therefore more stabilize tensions between barrel, action and stock during temperature and humidity changes.

View attachment 7617434

- Reamer type has been chosen. After long discussion and gathering information, a 22LR Match Chamber designed by Kevin Nevius for Lapua ammunition will be cut into my barrel.

I will bring this rifle to top level, I must, but i almost feel that I am falling down endless rabbit hole. For those interested in numbers:

Sterk Swept Ball handle: 150 EUR (You have no idea what monstrosity importing gun stuff from AU to SVK really is, it was main part of the cost)

Lothar Walther customized barrel, bedding, accurizing, barrel and trigger work: 1400 EUR (estimated cost)

About 5400 EUR / 6500 USD. Holy moly that would be a nice Sako TRG 22 with scope and mount included. Or a barefoot AI. Or almost a freaking 50BMG like EDM Windrunner. Am I genuinely retarded or just plain stupid? I dont know. And the worst part of it? In my country, and basically in the whole EU, you have to fill out 10 forms, pay three different fees and wait month for an approval when you want to piss down your own barrel. Oh guys how much do I envy you being in the country where you can order anything online.

I tried the J&P firing pin spring and changed it back to the factory one. It's super strong and increases the bolt lift force which is already stiff.

Hello guys,

So, after 5 months of gathering info, waiting, funding, waiting, funding, ordering, and waiting again, here is my rifle build completed.

View attachment 7369324

Rifle: Sako Quad Range 22LR /w Heavy barrel & Set trigger
Glass: Sightron SIIISS 6-24X50 LR ZS FFP / MH
Mount: Spuhr SA-3601
Accessories: Gunbloke Max-TAC2 Brake; DIP Aluminium bottom plate; Sterk Shooting Swept Ball handle; Harris 6-9" Bipod

Glad to hear your feedback ! Cant wait to take the girl out for a proper shooting session.
That's tight !

In the meantime

View attachment 7617434

Gotta say, LW barrel with Nevius chamber would be very nice. Is it you or the smith that owns the reamer?

How did the original barrel do at 100m with various ammo?

Gotta say, LW barrel with Nevius chamber would be very nice. Is it you or the smith that owns the reamer?

How did the original barrel do at 100m with various ammo?

I am ordering the Nevius reamer from JGS today, hope it arrives in less than two months. Need to get it to my pal in US and from there to EU, as JGS does not ship overseas.

I have to say that I have never tested the original rifle configuration at more than 50m. I was simply not satisfied with 50m results, so i thought with dispersion like that it has no point going out further. The target in previous page this thread (the one which is used for AR15 at 300m normally, downscaled to A4 size) was practically from the the best I ever managed to do at 50m, using Lapua Center-X, done it maybe 3-4 times like this from shooting out 1000 rounds. Tried two optics, different action torque, more than 10 types of ammunition from CCI SV to Lapua Midas, 4 different shooters, even with a fixed gun, but there were and still are occasional fliers. Like 4 shots go to same place, but the fifth goes maybe an inch right. Or left. Or up. Or down. I was going nuts about this, As i was able to shoot out same or better targets with a 50 year old ZKM 456 Brno. I am by no means a super experienced marksman, but still.

20200905_121931.jpg

I am ordering the Nevius reamer from JGS today, hope it arrives in less than two months. Need to get it to my pal in US and from there to EU, as JGS does not ship overseas.

I have to say that I have never tested the original rifle configuration at more than 50m. I was simply not satisfied with 50m results, so i thought with dispersion like that it has no point going out further. The target in previous page this thread (the one which is used for AR15 at 300m normally, downscaled to A4 size) was practically from the the best I ever managed to do at 50m, using Lapua Center-X, done it maybe 3-4 times like this from shooting out 1000 rounds. Tried two optics, different action torque, more than 10 types of ammunition from CCI SV to Lapua Midas, 4 different shooters, even with a fixed gun, but there were and still are occasional fliers. Like 4 shots go to same place, but the fifth goes maybe an inch right. Or left. Or up. Or down. I was going nuts about this, As i was able to shoot out same or better targets with a 50 year old ZKM 456 Brno. I am by no means a super experienced marksman, but still.

View attachment 7618527
I see. I have quite similar problem, I can get very good groups but most ammo is quite flier sensitive, like 1 or 2 in 10. I have had nearly 100% flier proof ammo too, all of them top-line or above average but considering how many lots I have tested it is quite bad. Of course, fliers are the nature of 22LR but they should be pretty much be reduced to zero with right configuration?

I cannot complain much, during the course last week the instructors were quite thrilled with the groups. 100m group with 7 or 8 shots nearly in 2cm, ignorant wind reading in 3-4m/s wind made my group like 6 or 8cm as the wind died totally for 1 shot. This SK LR ammo lot was spectacular, I chroned 70 shots and SD was less than 3ms / 10fps.

I could maybe buy or rent the reamer when you are done, I too planned on doing the Nevius chamber but have not decided on which barrel maker to go to yet. Maybe I could get Sako to make one blank for a smith to then work on.

I think (my personal opinion only) that tighter chamber and a properly done crown can compensate for a bit of a variation in ammo lot, at least horizontally. In other words, less quality ammo will shoot better in a precision done barrel, than a quality ammo from barrel with loose chamber and poorly done crown. For vertical fliers, AKA difference in bullet weight / powder charge, there really isnt much that we can do. As I have stated, this is my personal opinion only.

I would not order barrel from Sako, if we are talking rimfire. Lothar Walther offers a match treatment barrels (should be the better ones) which have lapped bore, that is what I ordered. Another option is to wait for BixnAndy, as he told me that he will probably start doing 22LR barrel blanks in 2022 again. I have only heard superlatives about his work, but that was centerfire.

Anyways, wait for my results with LW/Nevius combination, see what happens and make a decision based on that :) As you are from Finland, getting the reamer to you will not be a problem.

Reactions: Near miss
I think (my personal opinion only) that tighter chamber and a properly done crown can compensate for a bit of a variation in ammo lot, at least horizontally. In other words, less quality ammo will shoot better in a precision done barrel, than a quality ammo from barrel with loose chamber and poorly done crown. For vertical fliers, AKA difference in bullet weight / powder charge, there really isnt much that we can do. As I have stated, this is my personal opinion only.

I would not order barrel from Sako, if we are talking rimfire. Lothar Walther offers a match treatment barrels (should be the better ones) which have lapped bore, that is what I ordered. Another option is to wait for BixnAndy, as he told me that he will probably start doing 22LR barrel blanks in 2022 again. I have only heard superlatives about his work, but that was centerfire.

Anyways, wait for my results with LW/Nevius combination, see what happens and make a decision based on that :) As you are from Finland, getting the reamer to you will not be a problem.
Horizontal fliers? Well I can say there are verticals also. See below my stock torque test at 100m in 2ms wind.

20210422_075810.jpg

Attachments

• 20210421_175912.jpg
    20210421_175912.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Horizontal fliers? Well I can say there are verticals also. See below my stock torque test at 100m in 2ms wind.

View attachment 7618587

Well, those groups are quite nice for 100m i think, but those fliers, i have no explanation for that. Havent you disrupted your position behind rifle before these shots?

Anyways, since you are from Finland, i have a question, PM sent.

Good stuff here! 22LR Nevius reamer from JGS & Set of JP Springs for Quad bolt. I thought i would at least give it a try. LW barrel will probably arrive upcoming week.

Attachments

• 20210531_124911.jpg
    20210531_124911.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 74