• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako S20

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    New Rifle from Sako
    SAKO UNVEILS THE FIRST TRUE HYBRID RIFLE FOR BOTH HUNTERS AND TACTICAL SHOOTERS
    Sako, the leading Finnish manufacturer of world-renowned rifles and cartridges, defines a new category in bolt-action rifles by introducing S20, the first true hybrid rifle. Designed with progressive shooters in mind, the modular structure adapts to changing lifestyles, making S20 a truly future-proof rifle.
    One of the innovative main features of S20 is the takedown stock interface. The unique modularity allows the rifle to be configured to the shooter’s preferences with different rear stocks and forends. At launch, Sako introduces both the tactical precision stock and the ergonomic hunting stock, the latter being an improved version of a traditional thumbhole stock more akin to a pistol grip. Switching between stocks is fast and easy, virtually changing the rifle from a tactical rifle to a hunting rifle with a perfect grip or vice versa in a matter of minutes.

Inside the S20 stock is an aircraft-grade aluminium chassis that carries all the recoil forces. The durable structure of the frame has been carefully designed for maximum stiffness to increase accuracy and robustness. Additionally, the S20 utilizes strong H.I.R (high impact resistant) material over the chassis to give a professional grade performance with a high level of comfort and adaptability.

Overall, the adjustable ergonomics are a big part of the S20 design. The multi-adjustable trigger (available as both single stage and two stage variants) can be moved backwards or forwards to better fit different hand sizes, and a quickly adjustable cheek piece and spacer help to find the best possible shooting position. Combined with a wide selection of M-LOK and QD compatible accessory options, S20 adapts to all body sizes and shooting situations.
    The cold hammer forged barrel combined with the whole-length aluminium V-Bedding system increase the repeatable accuracy of the S20. The receiver of the rifle has been engineered with rigidity in mind and has an integrated Picatinny rail that is machined directly into the steel receiver. The bolt of the S20 is manufactured from high-grade stainless steel for better weather resistance. To increase safety and performance, the S20 has a firing pin safety and a very high locking lug surface area. This, combined with the three locking lug design, enables smooth, safe and precise operation of the rifle.
    Made from fiberglass-reinforced composite, S20 magazines are designed to support reloaders with longer maximum cartridge length. Due to the unique structure of the magazine, cartridges are also supported from the shoulder to prevent bullet damage from recoil. The S20 comes with a 5 round (3 Magnum) magazine, and a 10 round (7 Magnum) magazine is available as an accessory. At launch, the S20 comes in 243 Win, 308 Win, 6.5 CM, 270 Win, 30-06 Sprg, 7mm Rem Mag, 300Win Mag and 6.5 PRC calibers.

“As a whole, the S20 is something new and represents the pinnacle of design and manufacturing skills of Sako. It’s a hybrid rifle with unique features that both hunters and tactical shooters can appreciate. Whatever your background or story is, the future-proof S20 provides competition grade performance in a lighter and leaner package,” says Claes Björkstén, Marketing and Communications Director, Sako Ltd.

The rifle will be launched on Sako’s digital platforms the on 20 February at 5:00/17:00 pm GMT (12:00 pm EST). The official unveil will be at IWA on 6 March.
    Sako S20 features in more detail

The first true hybrid rifle with unprecedented design delivers novel modularity, exceptional durability and unparalleled SUB MOA accuracy.
    What truly makes a hybrid rifle is its highly configurable stock. It is possible to mix and match – e.g., if you want to combine the tactical precision forend and its M-LOK attachments with the thumbhole-style hunting stock, feel free to do so.

The stocks can be taken down easily by loosening up two of the screws between the rear stock and forend. When collapsing the rifle between the rear stock and forend, there is no need to zero optics after assembly.

Ergonomic hunting stock
    The Sako S20 hunter rear stock was designed with ultimate shooting comfort and ergonomics in mind. Having the best, most ergonomic grip on the rifle improves accuracy without compromising comfort. In an intense hunting situation, this can be the deciding factor between success and failure.
    The hunter stock’s forend is designed to handle versatile hunting environments. Its integrated, soft, leather-like grip surface is made from high-quality synthetic materials and provides an optimal grip in any weather conditions. The Quick Detachable (QD) sling placements on both sides of the stock enable fast and easy attachment of the sling, improving rifle handling.

Tactical precision stock
    The tactical precision rear stock of the Sako S20 combines great modularity with unparalleled ergonomics for the most demanding precision shooters. All in all, the ergonomics resemble those of modern precision rifles such as the Sako TRG rather than a traditional hunting rifle.
    The forend of the precision stock was created specifically for long distance and precision shooting. The flat bottom helps balance the rifle when you’re shooting without a bipod.

Sako S20 design in more detail
    The Sako S20 is highly adjustable and intended to always fit like a glove – whether it’s your lifestyle, preferred shooting position, posture or hand size. A comfortable rifle grip is the foundation of consistent accuracy
    The quick-adjustable cheek piece is a unique design specifically made for Sako S20. It’s easy to adjust with only one hand and one click of a button, enabling perfect alignment with the rifle scope. The recoil pad’s height and angle can also be adjusted, reducing felt recoil and enabling the perfect fit and comfort in a range of different shooting postures. Being able to adjust the height of the recoil pad is especially beneficial for people with a slighter build. The length of pull may also be adjusted with spacers for maximized control, accuracy and comfort.

The adjustable ergonomics are a key part of the Sako S20 design. This applies to the trigger, too, as having a natural grip on the rifle is not just comfortable but also improves accuracy. For optimal trigger ergonomics for different hand sizes, it’s possible to move the trigger either backwards (by 3 mm) or forwards (by 4 mm) with an Allen key. The weight of pull can also be adjusted (1–2 kg / 2–4 lbs).

“S20 was designed with an active shooter in mind, one who loves all aspects of the sport, whether you’re practicing that perfect shot on the range and spotting the quarry among the foliage. You can always take a new course and trust that your rifle is up to the task,” says Miika Tamminen, Research and Development Manager, Sako Ltd.

At Sako, our specially trained professionals manually check every single barrel as no automated device can replace a human eye in inspecting the barrel straightness, perfect rifle consistency and surface smoothness. Every rifle is tested to guarantee sub MOA accuracy according to Sako quality standards.
    Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 10.17.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 10.16.01 AM.png

Trying to screen shot the live watch party
    Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 10.18.06 AM.png

Interested to see what barrel lengths/contours they will be offering and whether the barrels will be readily replaceable.

The modular concept looks nice and I'm sure Sako will have done their homework, hopefully they offer barrel contours that suit the market they are going for.

Interested to see what barrel lengths/contours they will be offering and whether the barrels will be readily replaceable.

The modular concept looks nice and I'm sure Sako will have done their homework, hopefully they offer barrel contours that suit the market they are going for.

its in the top video. 24" and 20". A lighter contour and a we bit heavier contour.

Im thinking this is Sako's version of the tikka CTR. I bet it is super smooth.

Reactions: beetroot
    Yep we do - also a few other new Tikkas of interest just announced as well:

SAKO S20 - LINK

(info from my rep)

-barrels are same contour
    -butt and forends are interchangable and will be affordably priced as will the mags.
    -triggers to be 2-stage
    -5/8x24 muzzle
    -full chassis underneath
    -7-8lbs
    -april/may availability
    -1MOA 5-shot guarentee

TIKKA T3 Roughtech - LINK

these are back with improved stocks and under $1K - black version is 1 time special order and due in the fall. We have plenty coming, taking preorders now

Coyote Tan Tac A1 - LINK

Tan version of their most popular rifle - they are allowing us to order this version once this year as well and these rifles are due in the fall. We have plenty coming, taking preorders now

TIKKA UPR - LINK

This is basically a renovated CTR with a highly improved stock - available blued or stainless and under $1500 - another 1 time order and these are due in the fall also.

Being able to change out the stock type like that is pretty nice.
    I wonder if they will add a full traditional hunting style stock as well. (Like the T3x Lite Roughtech)

I wish AI had a system like that.

Based on the price I could see this making a big impact.

This looks real promising. Can’t wait to check one out

Always thought a tikka CTR offered in magnum cartridge would be killer. Looks like this S20 is just that. I want one in 7mm mag! Like the direction Sako/tikka are going. Just noticed the twist is still 9.5 on the 7mm. ? so much for lobbing 180’s.

Last edited:
    Reactions: clcustom1911
    Always thought a tikka CTR offered in magnum cartridge would be killer. Looks like this S20 is just that. I want one in 7mm mag! Like the direction Sako/tikka are going. Just noticed the twist is still 9.5 on the 7mm. ? so much for lobbing 180’s.
    My T3X Lite 7mm RemMag with 9.5 twist slings 175 ELDx bullets quite well.

Reactions: tho98027
    20 and 24" only

heavy or light contours, fluted, etc,

they talked about the barrels

I talked with Miikka about the barrels when I visited the factory and tested the rifle a few weeks ago. I specifically asked about longer and thicker barrels and he hinted that a 26" heavy contour might come in the future as an option. We'll have to wait and see.

does this action has a crf bolt like in the 85 model?a feature i used to love in my 260 finnlight..
    a regular (6.5prc)85 carbonlight with a built in picatinny rail would have been my perfect hunting rifle!

Reactions: michiman
    It's very tempting, I'll be watching to see how they perform over the next year or so. It seems like it might be one of the first "big company" hunting rifles that is really doing a lot of shooting/accuracy features at a "reasonable" weight. You get a great bolt, changeable bolt handles, built in rail, an all AL stock spine, trigger adjustability front/rear, adjustable cheek and stock length. longer mags for guys reloading long rounds. Honestly the biggest advantage I see to this rifle is how many features it offers in a hunting platform. You don't have to throw the stock and trigger away as soon as you buy it.

The one thing I'm a little suspect of is that rear stock interface, how stiff/solid it really is because it seems to be slotted but it also looks like it doesn't have much depth to the interface. I'd also have rather seen them if they were going to machine a pic rail in to do it full length which would also help with action stiffness and offer more front/back scope adjustment. Their factory scope mount rail/rings option seems nice and it will have 20moa option. It looks like you can move the rings forward/back in the base, but then you are locked into Sako's rings/base. I'd also have really liked to see some sort of bipod mount option on the hunting stock forearm aside just a sling stud. Though I do like that you can use the precision forearm with the hunting rear if you want. I'm also very suspect of these "affordable" accessories, $400 scope mounts, $175 stamped mags, $3000 folding rear stocks is what I see from Sako. Sako probably thinks the $150 for their 85 mags is "affordable". So unless they've completely changed their mind on what "affordable" is for this gun I expect typical Sako ridiculous priced accessories, but I'll be thrilled to be wrong, especially if they re-price their entire line of ridiculous prices for accessories.

I see two misses for the American market, first the machined rail not full length and having any built in rise, and second they offer two barrel profiles but no easy way to swap barrels so you have to buy 2 guns anyway if you want a lighter hunting version and the heavy barrel precision version. No one is buying and 8.5lb rifles for precision competitions here in the US, it's 20+lb 6mm's with 4oz triggers to hide as many shooting fundamental flaws as possible. That said if we can get them to put "practical" back into PRS and either put in a weight class where rifles like this would thrive, or a max weight limit to stop guys using near benchrest guns with a shooting cart to get their gear from the parking area to the staging area.

Show me this rifle with a barrel swap, and 20 MOA built in a full length pic rail, they can jack the price up to $2500 and I'd pre-order one so fast my dealers head would spin.

Last edited:
    does this action has a crf bolt like in the 85 model?a feature i used to love in my 260 finnlight..
    a regular (6.5prc)85 carbonlight with a built in picatinny rail would have been my perfect hunting rifle!

Unfortunately it does not have crf, as the second half of this short video shows.

Very interesting, might have to snag one or at least a Tikka UPR. Which is surprisingly close in price.

Very interesting, might have to snag one or at least a Tikka UPR. Which is surprisingly close in price.

The UPR seems over priced given availability of other options like KRG Bravo. It seems that's more of a competitor to things like the McMillan adjustable game warden.

Another problem with the UPR is, how would one fit a thicker contour barrel down the line or a barrel nut for a pre-fit?

The UPR seems over priced given availability of other options like KRG Bravo. It seems that's more of a competitor to things like the McMillan adjustable game warden.

Another problem with the UPR is, how would one fit a thicker contour barrel down the line or a barrel nut for a pre-fit?

It would come out less expensive than buying a Mcmillan/Manners separately (if the stock is similar quality?) And I would prefer that over a Bravo. Plus you could just use a shouldered prefit.

BUT this S20 does have a lot of unique options for the price. Really interested in seeing reports on it.

It would come out less expensive than buying a Mcmillan/Manners separately (if the stock is similar quality?) And I would prefer that over a Bravo. Plus you could just use a shouldered prefit.

BUT this S20 does have a lot of unique options for the price. Really interested in seeing reports on it.

Does anyone make pre-fits for Sakos?

This looks like the next evolution of the M995 which was basically a hunting rifle with an open top TRG action. Not a bad thing at all. It looks like nice rifle to me. I’m curious what the barrel threads at. If it’s the same threads as the TRG then KRGs barrels and barrel nut system my work.

If I were a hunter or in need of crossover do it all type rifle this would be the ticket. In fact I’m trying to convince myself I don’t need one of these with Vortex AMG on it. I already sent the link my best friend who is looking for something like that in 6.5CM eventually.

So... The 2nd biggest complaint against the TRG was/is the lack of strength in how the butt stock attached, but I see Sako is still committed to using that style of buttstock attachment... Maybe not a deal breaker, but still disappointing...

What's this new composite magazine? TRG, CTR or AICS mag compatible? Price?

As @skatz11 mentioned it does seem very similar in many ways to the M995/TRG. Will be interesting to see if the accessories will follow the rest of the Sako M995/TRG tradition of insanely expensive?

Half price of a custom rig, SAKO pedigree, decent weight - how can you go wrong? I think I might have to buy one just because. Been itching for a 6.5 PRC and have some draw point that I could cash in....

Think they take trade-ins? My .300WSM 85 Finnlight is gonna collect a lot of dust

Interesting, so if you factor in the currency difference, the fact that Finland has a 24% VAT and ratio "street" prices between them and say EuroOptic on the gun it's basically 1:1 for USD for a street price. However we won't know till we see US prices, plenty of gear here that's much more expensive than there. If that assumption is correct, that the Finnland store prices include their 24% VAT it's basically in USD:

$400 if you have the precision and want the Hunter stock skins
    $500 if you have the hunter and want the Precision stock skins
    $100 for the barricade stop
    $40 a mag
    $200 for their scope base/rings.
    $100 for the brake

To be honest the more I think about it, I see almost no reason for the "hunter" setup....it's only 1.3lb more to get the precision stock front/rear with more adjustability, and an easy bipod mount, plus the 7.3lbs for the hunter is hardly an "ultralight" setup to begin with. It would be interesting to see how much weight is in the forearm -vs- stock.

Damn. Get some 20 or 30 MOA rings to mount to the picatinny that's directly machined into the action. dammit man.

I literally picked up a lefty T3x TacA1 AND lefty T3x 7mm RemMag within the last year LOL. Looks like if these things come left handed eventually, there may be some PX ads from me to fund a couple of these....

Dammit.

Some of the accessory prices are still priced Sako stupid like $100 for a tiny Mlok barricade stop when far better after market options already exist that cost significantly less. The $2000+ stocks are double what they should be, but....

$40 per mag... Under $100 would have been acceptable, under $50 is awesome. Way to go Sako!!!!

Some of the accessory prices are still priced Sako stupid like $100 for a tiny Mlok barricade stop when far better after market options already exist that cost significantly less. The $2000+ stocks are double what they should be, but....

$40 per mag... Under $100 would have been acceptable, under $50 is awesome. Way to go Sako!!!!

Anything over $2000 is for the entire rifle not just stock components.

Reactions: goosed