• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako S20

There is no doubt in my mind this rifle is well built and will perform but it's very boutique. They should have made it compatible with aics mags, 20, 30 and 40 MOA bases, have a sliding locking QD plate for a tripod and be compatible with savage or tikka prefits to get traction in the precision market.

SAKO is a competitor with AI, they will never use AI Magazines when they have their own which they consider a premier brand.

You guys think these companies will always play nice with each other, but a TRG competes directly with an Accuracy International on the world stage. Beretta and AI are not gonna support each other.

Beretta is notoriously hard to work with here in the US, you cannot get them to commit or sitdown in a productive way. So I sure they only spoke to those who they want to work with, which appears to not be US-based. Since competitions are a new thing in the EU, you have to let them figure it out themselves and grow in a way they feel works. However that said, the more US shooters travel to Europe for these events, the more they will see how ineffective their systems are vs the headstart the US competitors have over them.

SAKO makes a great rifle, and they are correctly priced for the market, so if you have to tweak a few things to work, so be it.

They will learn, and once companies in the EU start following the US lead sooner rather than later, the entire industry will shift on a bigger scale. Right now we have to take a few steps backward. To us, here it's pretty obvious, to them, it's all brand new.

When Leica uses centimeters as a linear expression for angular trajectory problem solving all I can think is "didn't we go down this road in the US with IPHY"? Seems this is a similar case, I appreciate the audacity of creating a market but geez such a waste of damn fine engineering.

When Leica uses centimeters as a linear expression for angular trajectory problem solving all I can think is "didn't we go down this road in the US with IPHY"? Seems this is a similar case, I appreciate the audacity of creating a market but geez such a waste of damn fine engineering.
Because 1 cm at 100 meters is .1 mil?

Edit: crap!

Last edited:
Because 1 cm at 100 meters is 1 mil?

While 0.1 mil is not exactly perfect, it is close enough to be used as a fairly reasonable number if that is what your military is setup to do.

You'll see a lot of original S&B scopes that are mil/mil say 1 click = 1cm at 100m and for basic stuff that is close enough that you won't notice the difference till you get to much longer ranges.

Reactions: ZG47A
first the machined rail not full length and having any built in rise,
I also wanted to touch on the machined in picatinny rails. I agree it should have been one full length pic rail I am sure they were thinking weight savings, but I hope they were smart enough to have the two spaced apart as if they were one full length rail. Other words if you were to take a full length rail section and hold it directly to the side the slots would line up perfectly on the forward and aft machined rails on the receiver. Secondly if so hopefully they are spaced to where a one piece mount like a SPUHR would work. Hold on just thought of something as I was typing.........a SPUHR is designed to grab the rail for the entire length so maybe that wouldn't work......nevermind carry on. I will never own this rifle I have all my scopes in one piece SPUHRs I move my scopes around at times. Geez that would have solved the no built in cant at the same time if one were to need that.

Just preordered the precision 6.5cm. Hopefully will get it in April/May. Can’t wait! Love my tikkas but this will take the cake.

Reactions: Croat604
Because 1 cm at 100 meters is .1 mil?

Edit: crap!
Yep it's a 10th mil, so why not just call it that? And why use turrets that are opposite than everything else in common usage? My point was the disconnect with the market.

I’m looking at ordering an S20 as the base for my first “higher end” precision/hunting rifle build. Would you all recommend that move or stick to building one from the ground up?

I only have old ruger hunting rifles and my custom AR’s. No custom bolt gun experience.

I’m looking at ordering an S20 as the base for my first “higher end” precision/hunting rifle build. Would you all recommend that move or stick to building one from the ground up?
Depends on whether you want to build on it or if you are happy with it the way it is. If you're happy with it as is, go for it. (y)

Reactions: YotaEer
The rifle seems cool, but I'm far more impressed by their product release tactics and getting info out. This is probably the best product launch in the history of the gun industry, at least that I know of. That Apple style release video is really cool and gets a lot of info out. A lot of big companies drop products with almost no details or anything, and even when you try to get info people who should know don't have a clue.

Everyone else should take a lesson from Sako here.

I only have old ruger hunting rifles and my custom AR’s. No custom bolt gun experience.
IMHO,,,you can't go wrong with a GAPrecision. GREAT guns.

Reactions: YotaEer
If the Sako ticks all of your boxes, go for it. You'll get a quality rifle out of the box.
If you want something that Sako isn't offering for it now, consider custom.

Reactions: ZG47A and YotaEer
If the Sako ticks all of your boxes, go for it. You'll get a quality rifle out of the box.
If you want something that Sako isn't offering for it now, consider custom.

That’s my problem, I can’t leave well enough alone and will end up customizing anyways.

• Haha
Reactions: physguy88
So looking at the chassis it looks like there's a plastic liner piece around the barrel channel to create a tight spacing with the thinner profile barrels:

If you take that away you should be able to fit all sorts of thicker profile barrels no?

Reactions: S_R
Yep we do - also a few other new Tikkas of interest just announced as well:

SAKO S20 - LINK

(info from my rep)

-barrels are same contour
-butt and forends are interchangable and will be affordably priced as will the mags.
-triggers to be 2-stage
-5/8x24 muzzle
-full chassis underneath
-7-8lbs
-april/may availability
-1MOA 5-shot guarentee

When do you guys expect to get in the semi-heavy barrel version?

It's now possible to "Build your own" on Beretta Australia:

• Love
Reactions: clcustom1911
I like the modularity of the chassis/stock. I'd love to see them offer the aluminum chassis and stocks to fit some of their other actions as well. I have an A7 roughtech that I'd like to find a more tactical style stock for.

I like the modularity of the chassis/stock. I'd love to see them offer the aluminum chassis and stocks to fit some of their other actions as well. I have an A7 roughtech that I'd like to find a more tactical style stock for.
You can always call LRI and have him inlet a stock of your liking or try Manners or McMillan

Just preordered the precision 6.5cm. Hopefully will get it in April/May. Can’t wait! Love my tikkas but this will take the cake.

So any updates on your pre-order?

I'm up in Canada and preordered a S20 Precision .308. It was supposed to arrive May/June but was told about a week ago that's pushed back to July/August..waiting sucks.

You'll see a lot of original S&B scopes that are mil/mil say 1 click = 1cm at 100m and for basic stuff that is close enough that you won't notice the difference till you get to much longer ranges.

What difference is there to notice at longer ranges? The point of radians and the metric system that stuff lines up and checks out. It's not the same situation as MOA/IPHY, that just happens to be pretty close, by a random occurrence.

0.1 milliradians is a tenth of a thousandth of a radian. (10*1000=10 000) That's 1/10 000 = 0.0001 radians

1 cm is one hundredth of a meter. (100*100=10 000) At 100 meters that's 1/10000 = 0.0001 radians

0.1 MIL is exactly the same as 1 cm at 100 meters.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Perimeter of a circle is: pi x diameter. Do the math with a diameter of 2km and you get a lower product than the 6400 ‘Artillery’ milliradians (mils) that are marked on an Artillery protractor. That being said, most of us get by very well with Artillery mils. I happily use degrees, minutes and mils on a daily basis.

I like it.

I'm still waiting for a straight pull that is set up for our style of shooting.... waiting... waiting... waiting... is it here yet?😔

Perimeter of a circle is: pi x diameter. Do the math with a diameter of 2km and you get a lower product than the 6400 ‘Artillery’ milliradians (mils) that are marked on an Artillery protractor. That being said, most of us get by very well with Artillery mils. I happily use degrees, minutes and mils on a daily basis.

An actual milliradian is exactly 1 cm at 100 meters. I thought most high end scopes used 6283 mills for a full circle, rather than the US Artillery 6400 mils. Really not sure about that..

I like it.

I'm still waiting for a straight pull that is set up for our style of shooting.... waiting... waiting... waiting... is it here yet?😔

My fantasy rifle is a Fortner style bolt, with push forward thumb pad, in 6mmBRA! The action being the chassis system as well.

They should consider making a carbon fibre stock add on to go with this rifle

Any idea when these will be available in the States? Also, I wish Sako would start making their 300 WM in 1:10 twist.:confused:

There are fairly limited PRS/NRL type matches in Europe, but there are tons of other precision matches that are someplace between F-Class, 300 CISM and PRS/NRL combined. It really depends on the nation. When I lived in Germany sniper competitions were rare, but not unheard of. Way more common in Scandinavia.

What does this rifle do? I am not sure that anyone on any continent is going to buy this and all the accessories just to switch back and forth and play the game. There are companies in Europe that do not import to the USA like Steel Action, Lynx, but it is not a huge number.

I don't know that I would buy one, I already have other rifles that do what this does, in established systems with 2 stage triggers and AICS magazines. But for someone who is not so set up, this makes a lot of sense.

A friend of mine is a gunsmith in Canberra, he currently has a stack of Surgeon, Nesika and Pierce actions he is fitting. They can get Sako, Tikka, Remington and all the same European stuff we get and quite a few we can't get.

Is the stock AICS first generation like? Yes, but so is a Manners T5-A and the McMillan had a A series stock with a thumbhole similar to the AICS 1.0 (but it is not on the website anymore). Terry Cross's stock, the Blaser R8 Success and Ultimate and many others are influenced by AICS 1.0. In the stock making world it is rare for a stock to be completely new.

I like it, I'd own one if I wasn't gun poor. I like the looks of it in both formats.

22553377_10156608945873368_1688144041599357255_o.jpg

Reactions: physguy88
That new Sako S20 is nice, but i would rather take Tikka, i like how it does do every thing you need to do it.
Here´s few pictures how close that Sako is for Tikka T3/X.
vs2.jpg
vs3.jpg

I briefly handled an S20 in a store a couple of weeks ago. I must admit I was slightly disappointed with the general impression. I might have had unrealistic expectations but it did come across as a little cheap in my hands. I ended up getting a plain old Tikka CTR instead.

The stock appears to be quite far from, say, McMillan. The action seems to be pretty much standard Sako 85, but I did not take the rifle apart for closer inspection (my wife made sure of that).

I do love Sakos, though. I have an old A1 Vixen (mini action) rebarelled with a CTR style contour Bartlein in .223, bedded down in a Wildcat Composites L461 (same action) stock.

I briefly handled an S20 in a store a couple of weeks ago. I must admit I was slightly disappointed with the general impression. I might have had unrealistic expectations but it did come across as a little cheap in my hands. I ended up getting a plain old Tikka CTR instead.

The stock appears to be quite far from, say, McMillan. The action seems to be pretty much standard Sako 85, but I did not take the rifle apart for closer inspection (my wife made sure of that).

I do love Sakos, though. I have an old A1 Vixen (mini action) rebarelled with a CTR style contour Bartlein in .223, bedded down in a Wildcat Composites L461 (same action) stock.

How's the feel of the solidity and quality of the stock compared to something like a KRG Bravo?