• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG 22 Stealth/Phos

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
After trading off a TRG 42 a while back, I have been wanting another Sako. The build quality amazed me for a factory rifle and the trigger is as nice as any I have used.

I got my hands on another TRG, a 308 this time, via another trade, and am wondering who else is shooting a TRG22. Am also wondering if I just start with the same load I started with for my GAP. I have a bunch of 155 Scenars and a bunch of 175 SMK's. Going to shoot them both(my GAP 308 and the Sako) and decide which 308 to keep. One is going to be sold to fund other stuff. I would love to keep both, but cant justify 2 308s for the same purpose.

BTW, the model I got is an as new "Stealth" model. Black stock with phos-coating on metal. It came with the ridiculously priced, but well made Sako bipod, and Near Mfg muzzle brake and 20 moa rail. This will be my first oppurtunity to shoot a 308 with a brake, as I have never opted for one on any of my builds. I am wondering if the brake will allow me to see impacts at short range, where I typically cannot (<200 yds).

Also, for those who have used both, how does the Near brake comapre to the Sako unit?

Just wanting to discuss the TRG 22 specifically and see what others who are using them are finding accurate as far as load recipes.

I know loads are to be worked up for each rifle, etc. I know the Sako TRG 22 has been discussed before, I am just wanting to start a fresh discussion if possible.

Re: Sako TRG 22 Stealth/Phos

Just ordered mine (green/phos) so I can't offer first-hand experience quite yet, but in talking about it with my FFL, who has used them, he said it seems to LOVE the 168gr Hornady A-max over 44.5 of Varget. For factory ammo his best results have been with 168gr Hornady TAP.

Hydro,

After a long search, starting with two GAP rifles (great rifles, just didnt fit me...), a Noveske-tuned AR-10, a 5-R, and an AI, I stumbled into a used TRG 21. It is the "Goldilocks" rifle- are there lighter guns? yeah, but there damn sure are some heavier guns! Are there stronger guns? yeah, but not many. Are there more accurate guns? yeah, but mine (I have only tried one load, and with a ten power scope) shoots under 1/2 moa.
Is there a gun that fits me as well, is very durable with out being an anchor, is that accurate without being finicky, has a great detachable mag, and a wonderful trigger? I havent found it yet, but I have quit looking!
175 smk with hornady brass, CCI large rifle match primer, RL-15 45 grains.
This rifle will be with me for the long haul. I am glad you got another one!

Thank you,

Jordan

Hydro- forgot to add- no I havent used the brake- mine wears a can or a vortex, and bbl has been chopped to 18".

Thnak you,

Jordan

Thanks guys. I am looking forward to developing a load for it and seeing what it can do. It currently is wearing a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 zero stop. This is my first NF and I am looking forward to trying it out as well. There is a good chance that it will end up being sold or traded, unless I just love it. The only problem I have with scopes specs is that it is MOA/MOA. I am trying to switch over to mil/mil, as my GAP wears a PMII with P4F that I love. I have been on the list for quite a while for the new 5-25 Premier, that I am expecting to start shipping within the next week to 10 days. Pretty good chance the Heritage will end up on the Sako.

Once I get to break in and zero the TRG, assuming I decide I am going to keep it, it will be off to Dimensions for a wicked paint job. Now that I think about it, I dont recall seeing any TRG's with custom paint. Sure they are out there, but I havent seen any. Cant wait.

5202n5.jpg

ei6zqx.jpg

Here is what she looks like now. Pics are the ones SRT took prior to our making the trade. BTW SRT is GTG, everything arrived as described.

And here is my GAP (when it still had the 3-15 Premier). I am considering doing something similar with the TRG.

PremierGAP005.jpg

At least using the same 3 colors that make up the standard GAP camo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hydro- forgot to add- no I havent used the brake- mine wears a can or a vortex, and bbl has been chopped to 18".

Thnak you,

Jordan </div></div>

Can you post a pic of the 18" bbl wearing the vortex?

That skull stick is one of the most awesomest rifles I have ever seen!!!!

Well i do have a Near brake and base but not the same as yours

13032008005.jpg

Its a nice brake kicks up less dirt than the Sako recently i tried an other brake made by Pete Lincoln and that braked better did not kick up dirt as well, but my dope dropped with 27 klicks at 300 m. But the Roedale braked shot like a charm, even better than theNear brake.

IMG_0117.jpg

i´m really happy with mine it is the best rifle, most comfortable, supreme accuracy,
my load is 155 scenar with 44.8 gr. of vit N-540

Thanks for the input guys. I am looking forward to shooting this thing without the brake, then threading it on to see how effective it is.

I mean, it is just a 308, so if the brake is effective at all, I am thinking I should be able to see bullet impact as close as 100 yards. Which would be nice for me. I dont know if it is my form or what, but I have never been able to see impact unless I was shooting a long way and had time to recover before the bullet hit the target.

IMG_0117.jpg
[/quote]

Have Sako changed the angle on the bipod legs lately? This looks to have much less spread than mine.

46.5 of N160,155 Scenar, CCI BR primer in Lapua brass loaded to max mag length works a treat in mine. Loves the 167 Factory Lapua loads too.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EastBayRidge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love mine; currently with APA having a 20" barrel and a Lil Bastard brake installed. Can't wait to shoot that puppy. </div></div>

What kind of barrel are you going to? Did you shoot the old one out or just wanting an upgrade?

On the topic of barrels, what barrels do the TRG's ship with? They make their own?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that I think about it, I dont recall seeing any TRG's with custom paint. Sure they are out there, but I havent seen any.</div></div>

trg22a.jpg

trg22b.jpg

trg22c.jpg

Thanks Conqueror

You spray that one yourself? DC? Looks great.Not sure which NF that is on that rifle, nut other than the Harris Bipod, that is basically the same rifle I am working with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EastBayRidge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love mine; currently with APA having a 20" barrel and a Lil Bastard brake installed. Can't wait to shoot that puppy. </div></div>

What kind of barrel are you going to? Did you shoot the old one out or just wanting an upgrade?

On the topic of barrels, what barrels do the TRG's ship with? They make their own? </div></div>

Broughton in a Sendero contour, per Jered's rec. Wanted a new one after reading how handy and capable the short barrels on a 308 are; the factory one was a bit long for my taste. I think I recall a gentleman here who posted pics of a folding stock TRG that he had chopped down to 18" (?) and had a surefire put on - looked pretty damn sweet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now that I think about it, I dont recall seeing any TRG's with custom paint. Sure they are out there, but I havent seen any. Cant wait. </div></div>

I've posted this before, but here's another.

trgdigitaloi9.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just happen to have a black/phosphate model myself:
trg-22.jpg
</div></div>

Looks just like mine. What exactly is the difference (if any) between the black and the Stealth? Is any black stocked rifle with phos coating a Stealth?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Conqueror

You spray that one yourself? DC? Looks great.Not sure which NF that is on that rifle, nut other than the Harris Bipod, that is basically the same rifle I am working with. </div></div>
Rifle isn't mine, belongs to another hide member and was posted a while back. Just kept the pics because I love the paint job.

Yours or not, the job looks great Conqueror.

The one I posted isn't mine either...did it as a favor for a friend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is any black stocked rifle with phos coating a Stealth? </div></div>

That's my understanding.

Am off today and tomorrow. Managed to do some shooting today and got to zero the NF on the Sako. Only had a few hours, but am going back tomorrow. I suck at photography, especially reticle shots, but did my best. I will begin saying that my first substantial experience with NF was similar to my first substantial experience with S&B. That is to say, that putting rounds down range with them is better than just looking through another shooters optic. I think more highly of NF now than I did before. Bottom line, the S&B was slightly brighter, and had a bit more resolution, to my eye. At least under the bright, clear conditions I used them today. I suspect that slight advantage would carry over to poorer condition. That said, based simply on image quality, the S&B is not $1.4K better than the NF, not even close. As is usually the case. To go from 100 horsepower to 200 horsepower is far cheaper than going from 500 to 600.

I am overall very pleased with the NF. I wish I still had my 4.5-14x50 MKIV to compare with the NXS.

Net result, I was happy with both the Sako and the glass. I will post more of the RR in a bit. Here are a few (crappy) pictures. I was trying to illustrate the slight difference between the clarity and brightness of the 2 pieces of glass (assuming that is even possible)with the pictures, but I dont think I was able to do so. Just cant get good reticle pics. Here they are.

Here are the 2 rifles I shot today. Both shot very well.

Sako/NF

NFSBcomparo014.jpg

NFSBcomparo017.jpg

GAP/PMII

NFSBcomparo015.jpg

NFSBcomparo016.jpg

Out of about 20 or so reticle pictures, this is the only decent one. One in which both the reticle and the target are fairly clear. I am going to keep trying, but I have a difficult time with these shots. I dont have a DSLR, but I have a decent camera. Anyone have any tips?

This is the NF at 22X(IIRC) on a 100 yard target.

NFSBcomparo013.jpg

As far as the range report, the Sako shot as expected. It is essentially a new rifle, and isnt broken in, if you believe that matters.

I will have to look at the log, but I only put something like 30-40 rounds through it today. Took my time, and ran a few patches through the bore while I was shooting. Havent done any load development, obviously, and didnt shoot but a couple groups. Both were between .5 and .7" at 100 yards. Most rounds were used doing a small (8 MOA) box test(the scope performed perfectly, but I have read that anything under 40 inches or so is an inadequate test, and I wasnt prepared for doing one that large). Used the lightest loads I had on hand.

1X Lapua cases
42.7 grains of Varget
Federal 210M
2.81 COAL

I then fired a few rounds at the "little Chicken" gong at 200. Just used the dope from my log book when I had the MKIV on. It worked as all were hits. I plan to use some hotter loads tomorrow and put maybe 100-150 rounds through it between 100 and 500 yards and see what she is capable of. will report back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertMonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is the break working for you? Can you spot your shoots at 200 yards?

L. </div></div>

I cant believe I forgot to mention the brake. That was my favorite part. IIRC, this was the first time I had fired a 308 with a brake on it.

The recoil was odd. It was reduced greatly, and did allow me to spot impacts. I cant really describe the recoil. It was very abrupt, and simply didnt move the rifle much. Just felt odd, as it was different. Noise was noticeably greater, but didnt strike me as overly loud. There was gentleman shooting a couple benches away. I asked him if he found it uncomfortable or noticeable. He said he did not.

I now want a brake on my GAP, LOL. Very effective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

IMG_0117.jpg
</div></div>

Have Sako changed the angle on the bipod legs lately? This looks to have much less spread than mine.

TC
[/quote]

Yes they came out with an updated bibod and gave it a new partnumber as well, S5740495.

I have the wide one and I like it, because it is very stable. but the more compact one would have its advantages as well. Would be nice to have both.

The old design seem to interfere with the forward picatiny rail. they solved that with the new design. As for stability the new one is still very stable.

By the way does anybody have a picture and some more info about the Elite Iron Max brake?

I have the black TRG-22 also,LOVE it. One of the best out of the box rifles I have ever owned and would never get rid of it. I have the sako brake on mine and I can tell the difference from mt other 308's without the brake. With this rifle I can call and spot my own hits.
My last shooting secion I was able to keep 12 5rd and 4 10rd groups 5/8" or less. My load is as follows
Lapua brass
168 SMK
43.5 IMR 4064 / 45.5 Varget ( both powders are equil in this rifle)
CCI BR-2 primmers
2.850 OAL
hope this helps

I also have a TRG-22 and love it.. i have been kicking around the idea of shortening the barrel... have any of you done that or thought of doing that?? if so what are your thoughts about it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now that I think about it, I dont recall seeing any TRG's with custom paint. Sure they are out there, but I havent seen any. Cant wait. </div></div>

I've posted this before, but here's another.

trgdigitaloi9.jpg
</div></div>

Now that looks familiar!

Piece of fabric in pic is Finnish Army M05 -pattern.

58589541.jpg