• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG-22?

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    Let me start with yes, I did use the search button.
    I have been thinking about the purchase of a TRG-22 in Tan with the 20" barrel. How do you feel about it? Accuracy that I can expect? Anybody run it out to 1k? With what results? Suggested ammunition?
    This is a hard decision since it isn't too far off of a GAP price. The only difference is that it is easy to put an Imums system on the Sako vs the others and probably cheaper since I would not have to modify the stock and the barrel is already threaded for muzzle brake and suppressor.
    I have seen the TRG-22 Tan with the 20" barrel for about $2900, I'm guessing that this is a good price.

Thanks for any insite/information. I keep my firearms for life so making a good first decision is important to me.

Re: Sako TRG-22?

TRG = Awesome. One of the best triggers and stocks from the factory and not only are they proven reliable and durable but they are amazingly accurate right out of the box.

It is a fine rifle. With everything that you would have to pay for and get built, the TRG is already made that way. Nice trigger, comfortable stock that fits and is completely adjustable. Shoots awesome right out of the box. You will not go wrong by choosing it. At $2900 and that will probly include a rail, it is the lowest I have seen. I would say that is a good price.

You will have others say that the accessories are expensive. Yes that is true without a doubt. Mags are a little expensive compaired to others. Bipod is expensive. Think about it this way, each accessory is made for the system itself, which is a great thing. The brake is good, not much more money than a Badger FTE plus getting a barrel threaded for it, which is more money. Bipod if you go that route, made for the rifle, stable and solid. Way better than mounting a Harris. Mags hold 10 and fit flush with the stock and not hanging out. If you wanted a foward optics rail, it is not much more money than one of the other manufactures, plus it is bolt on with no mods.

Too many other good things to say about it. Do not have any doubt that if you wanted to purchase it, you will not be disappointed. I own 3 of them and dont regret it one bit. Sure the other builders have nice rifles, and I even owned some including a GAP. Not knocking them one bit and they shoot great also. The TRG is set up ready to go!

Go for it, the price sounds very nice. I have no experience with the 20" barrel so I leave this to others.

I bought the rifle with the Sako muzzle brake, bipod and scope mount. The quality is excellent, worth the money. Go get her before someone else will!

Since the Sako mag is a double stack will it single feed rounds that are just dropped on top of the follower?

Since I just got my TRG I feel that I have to post pics of it:
    grin.gif

IMG_0663.jpg

With the Ase Utra North Star:
    IMG_0666.jpg

Nice rifle!!!!

I am reconsidering who I was planning on buying it from after reading some reviews from the store.
    Euro Optics comes to mind at the moment. I'm going to review my finances and it would probably be a couple of weeks since I am in the middle of a move.

Does anybody have an estimate of the wait time for the tan TRG-22??

Ive posted before extolling the virtues of my TRG22. All you have read in previous posts is true, superb accuracy, great ergonomics and it really feels solid. I went fromm a Remmy PSS to the TRG and the PSS felt cheap and nasty, although it isnt a bad gun. Shoot Sierra matchkings, mine loves the 168gr and 175 gr variety. You will not go wrong with a TRG, buy 1 and be sorted.

If the dealer has them in stock, which Euro Optic usually does, your golden.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy one. 8up+1 Alex @ Euro Optics has several in stock.</div></div>
    I just got mine from Alex,he has a lot in stock. E-mail him at [email protected]

I have been playing around with my TRG42 win mag which I just got. It feels as good as it looks when you are prone. Like it is an extension of me. I have rifles with AICS and Mcm A5, which the A5 is close, but not like the TRG. I will be in the market for other TRGs.

Hello friend,

I am a weekend shooter, I am a beginner .... But I can assure you two things:

1) - The SAKO TRG 22 rifle is a great rifle, extremely accurate and its trigger is excellent.

2) - Alex, where I bought the SAKO and other things (two and three NightForce S & B) is a great guy, very polite and great trader.

Buy the SAKO and be happy!

Selva - Brazil

I tried one and would love to have one at some point. If you get one, and decide later you want a custom 700, you won't lose a ton cashing it up.

The accessories are pricey but you aren't required to use all SAKO stuff. From what I know, TRG's will fit other mags at some point in the near future, you can definitely use other bipods and slings. That being said, I really like the look of Sako's bipod, and would be awful tempted to get one if I had a TRG.

Fuscalino said:
    Ive posted before extolling the virtues of my TRG22. All you have read in previous posts is true, superb accuracy, great ergonomics and it really feels solid. I went fromm a Remmy PSS to the TRG and the PSS felt cheap and nasty, although it isnt a bad gun. Shoot Sierra matchkings, mine loves the 168gr and 175 gr variety. You will not go wrong with a TRG, buy 1 and be sorted. [/quote/
    I love my TRG 22. Everything said is dead spot on. Buy from EurOptics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried one and would love to have one at some point. If you get one, and decide later you want a custom 700, you won't lose a ton cashing it up.

The accessories are pricey but you aren't required to use all SAKO stuff. From what I know, <span style="color: #3366FF">TRG's will fit other mags, </span> can definitely use other bipods and slings, and I'm not positive, but I think that the barrel is a standard thread pitch, so you can use other brake's. That being said, I really like the look of Sako's bipod, and would be awful tempted to get one if I had a TRG. </div></div>

They will? I have had one well over a year and I have never heard of this.

The barrel is metric. You cannot use standard muzzle brakes on it. That being said the TRG brake is very efficent. You can't use other mags either

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GB213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel is metric. You cannot use standard muzzle brakes on it. That being said the TRG brake is very efficent. <span style="font-weight: bold">You can't use other mags <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Click to reveal.. <input type="button" class="form-button" value="Show me!" onclick="toggle_spoiler(this, 'Yikes, my eyes!', 'Show me!')" /></div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div style="display: none;">either</div></div></div></span>
    </div></div>

You mean yet, as this is changing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GB213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel is metric. You cannot use standard muzzle brakes on it. That being said the TRG brake is very efficent. <span style="font-weight: bold">You can't use other mags <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Click to reveal.. <input type="button" class="form-button" value="Show me!" onclick="toggle_spoiler(this, 'Yikes, my eyes!', 'Show me!')" /></div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div style="display: none;">either</div></div></div></span>
    </div></div>

You mean yet, as this is changing </div></div>

You keep teasing us with this stuff, LL. Got anything yet we can sink our teeth into?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GB213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel is metric. You cannot use standard muzzle brakes on it. That being said the TRG brake is very efficent. <span style="font-weight: bold">You can't use other mags <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Click to reveal.. <input type="button" class="form-button" value="Show me!" onclick="toggle_spoiler(this, 'Yikes, my eyes!', 'Show me!')" /></div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div style="display: none;">either</div></div></div></span>
    </div></div>

You mean yet, as this is changing </div></div>

Shhhh.....
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle!!!!

I am reconsidering who I was planning on buying it from after reading some reviews from the store.
    Euro Optics comes to mind at the moment. I'm going to review my finances and it would probably be a couple of weeks since I am in the middle of a move.

Does anybody have an estimate of the wait time for the tan TRG-22?? </div></div>

I Hope you were the one who picked up Jer's TRG-22. Win, Win.

I love my TRG-42 lapua. Trigger is amazing and the stock is perfect. I have the bipod and it is great as well. $500 would be hard to swallow, but mine came with it. My 45 moa near base is the cat's meow.

dce6144f.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle!!!!

Does anybody have an estimate of the wait time for the tan TRG-22?? </div></div>

I Hope you were the one who picked up Jer's TRG-22. Win, Win. </div></div>

Nope, that sale is pending to a buddy of mine from Nebraska.

I think Alex is the way that I will go.
    My dream setup would be TRG-22 Tan 20" barrel
    Sako Bipod
    " ITRS mount
    " 5 mags total
    " scope mount (20 moa?)
    " Leupold Mark4 E/RT 6.5-20X50mm M5
    " Muzzle break (thinking about after market for a SAS can if I can get the break threaded to match)

For this above total I am looking at approx $6000, I don't want to step over $6k but a tip toe over might be ok.

Down the road I want an SAS can that I can also run on my .300 WM. A nice pelican case or other hard case?? I have two tactical soft cases/drag bags with only one that I would consider dragging around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stefan should have snatched it up! </div></div>

It was listed in the classifieds section and available for a while (5 days?). All he had to do was tell me he wanted it and it would be his.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Alex is the way that I will go.
    My dream setup would be TRG-22 Tan 20" barrel
    Sako Bipod
    " ITRS mount
    " 5 mags total
    " scope mount (20 moa?)
    " Leupold Mark4 E/RT 6.5-20X50mm M5
    " Muzzle break (thinking about after market for a SAS can if I can get the break threaded to match)

For this above total I am looking at approx $6000.

Down the road I want an SAS can that I can also run on my .300 WM. A nice pelican case or other hard case?? I have two tactical soft cases/drag bags with only one that I would consider dragging around.

</div></div>

Make sure you check out the scope bases and mounts from Near Manufacturing before you decide. I have them in hand and they are works of art. Im also going to get the Near brake.

I probably would have if it was about two or so weeks later!
    I have to pay off a car first and do my PCS move and then I can use a moderate amount of my Iraq savings program which is slightly limited since I have to rebuild my Bronco resultant of a fuel going bad durring a deployment and I think the block freezing, power steering unit seal failing, transmission main seal and front pump failing and rear housing cracking (when it rains it poors)!

Other then that I should be good to go, enshallah.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I probably would have if it was about two or so weeks later!
    I have to pay off a car first and do my PCS move and then I can use a moderate amount of my Iraq savings program which is slightly limited since I have to rebuild my Bronco resultant of a fuel going bad durring a deployment and I think the block freezing, power steering unit seal failing, transmission main seal and front pump failing and rear housing cracking (when it rains it poors)!

Other then that I should be good to go, enshallah. </div></div>

Well you will have great experience with EuroOptic. I got my Sako bipod from them and that's where my Nightforce is coming from as soon as they are available. Great guys to deal with. Don't forget to check out Near Mfg also. Richard knows his stuff and is very helpful also. I dont think you can buy better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

They will? I have had one well over a year and I have never heard of this. </div></div>I must have been mistaken, which does happen from time to time! Went back and fixed my post.

I think I have heard that the TRGs will take a AICS mag. It's been a while, but I think it was Adam at Bauer Arms that confirmed this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I have heard that the TRGs will take a AICS mag. It's been a while, but I think it was Adam at Bauer Arms that confirmed this. </div></div>

Nope, AI mags will not work in a factory TRG. No way no how.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I have heard that the TRGs will take a AICS mag. It's been a while, but I think it was Adam at Bauer Arms that confirmed this. </div></div>

Nope, AI mags will not work in a factory TRG. No way no how. </div></div>

Look to the post above yours.

I have heard it both ways. Yes and no. I would like to know as I will be getting one soon and I really don't feel like spending 250 bucks for a simple magazine.

My mate Bill just shot his TRG at Bisley, in a 1000 yd comp.

He won.

He was shooting against a whole array of target rifles and any other type of rifle you care to name.

His has the 24" pipe.

If you are dithering about this, what are you thinking?

Only alternative I see is the Accuracy International AW. That's Bill's next build in 6.5x47Lap. Due any day now.

Accept no substitute, buy the Sako. Or buy the AIAW. Either way, you will not be disappointed. Choose the one which fits you best/you like the most.

Just my 0.02c

Neil

Oh,

I forgot to add that Bill was using handloads. I'll get his recipe for you if you PM me.

I <span style="font-style: italic">think</span> he was using 168smk's. But as I say, I'll ask him if you PM me.

Neil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I have heard that the TRGs will take a AICS mag. It's been a while, but I think it was Adam at Bauer Arms that confirmed this. </div></div>

Nope, AI mags will not work in a factory TRG. No way no how. </div></div>

Look to the post above yours.

I have heard it both ways. Yes and no. I would like to know as I will be getting one soon and I really don't feel like spending 250 bucks for a simple magazine. </div></div>

I stand corrected and have proven myself wrong first hand. I started a new thread here for dedicated discussion here but as far as I'm concerned this makes the TRG an even better option than before.

That is great news about the mag. I wonder how it handles being bounced around? Is it locked in there good or might a decent little hit knock the mag out?

I was thinking about your TRG Jer but being that I am not buying it right away I wouldn't feel right about asking you to hold onto it. Call me weird but I just wouldn't feel right doing that, I would rather be able to pay you immediatly vs the risk of something happening and then you having to work to find a buyer again (I would feel like crap if that happened.).

I pulled on that mag awfully hard and don't think anyone has ever accused me of being a weak individual so I like to think I pulled pretty darn hard and even wiggled it slightly as I pulled and that thing was solid and not going anywhere. I can see that it wasn't intended to do this but it sure seems like it could work in a pinch.

Can´t be too hard to get a AICS mag to work propper in a TRG.
    Here is my TRG with a AICS 10rnd mag that has not been modifed.
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NtQJsTjkFFY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NtQJsTjkFFY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Not as smooth as the TRG mag and it feeds 6rounds good,then you have to put pressure on the mag.

EDIT - AICS 5rnd and the new Morta mags doesn´t work either in my gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can´t be too hard to get a AICS mag to work propper in a TRG.
    Here is my TRG with a AICS 10rnd mag that has not been modifed.
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NtQJsTjkFFY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NtQJsTjkFFY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Not as smooth as the TRG mag and it feeds 6rounds good,then you have to put pressure on the mag.

EDIT - AICS 5rnd and the new Morta mags doesn´t work either in my gun. </div></div>

I got mine to cycle all ten w/o pushing on the bottom of the magazine. The first few were a little tough but after that it was smooth sailing. I imagine it has to do with how deep/shallow the mag sits in various rifles since it's not an exact science. The ability to have AI mags seat snug and feed properly across the board w/o any guess work would be sweet though.

hhhhmmmmm, and the thread gets more and more interesting.

Thanks, the TRG looks to be the way to go.

BTW I sent you a PM.

I appreciate all the information and assistance/help!!!

TRG-22 folder is my duty rifle. I don't shoot competition. No varminting. No plinking. etc. It's a work rifle. Quals, deployments and schools. Every round in my data book is business.

And the TRG is superb, right out of the box. I have 168 gr. Hornady Match bullet cartridges custom loaded for duty use. It shoots holes in holes as long as I do my job.

I haven't shot out to 1000 yet, but shot to 800 at Moyock and it simply hit where it was supposed to. 1000 would not have been an issue. My best shots down there were two consective 600 yd head shots in full value 20+ mph gusting winds. Do the math, watch the wind, hold the hold and worry about whether you will hit your target. But don't worry about whether the rifle will hit. It will.

Currently running Leup Mk4, which is fundamentally a good optic. But waiting for a USO 5-25 58mm T-Pal which, IMHO, is much better.

You will not go wrong with the TRG. There are a lot of first rate customs being fielded by LE around the country. The TRG will hold its own against rifles that cost twice as much.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I have a 26" bbl. TRG-22 with the folding stock and nightforce scope, I just shot it at my first 1000 yd. match, I shot a 423 out of 450 score, great shooting rifle but I'm thinking about selling it and getting a custom made Surgen rifle made, maybe I'm nuts for even thinking that way, just got the bug for a Surgen scalpel in 308.

kenner

Well, looks like I'm buying the last Tan 20" that Euro Optic has in stock!
    I ordered a package deal from Euro Optic which I'm excited about. Now I just have to find an FFL in the Fort Leavenworth area for the transfer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, looks like I'm buying the last Tan 20" that Euro Optic has in stock!
    I ordered a package deal from Euro Optic which I'm excited about. Now I just have to find an FFL in the Fort Leavenworth area for the transfer.

</div></div>

Well are you going to leave us hanging on the rest of the package?
    confused.gif

All Sako stuff minus the optic,
    ITRS
    Bipod
    4 mags
    muzzle brake
    Tan 20" barrel TRG-22

I am trying to figure out what height rings to get for a scope with a 50mm objective lens??? The optic is a Leupold Mark4 E/RT 6.5-20X50mm M5 FFP TMR ie mil/mil. The scope is on order, can't wait for it and the rifle!