• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAKO TRG-22

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I like my pre-2013 TRG. The older style trigger can be adjusted to a lower weight, but you can take it too low and cause problems (binds up when working the bolt fast) I adjusted mine too low then increased it to a reliable weight.

Its not really a problem as long as follow the directions, but you know how
people are... Basically they idiot proofed the new trigger and sacrificed some pull weight. I like the angle of the new style trigger better. Its more straight/vertical.

Reactions: rancher5
My TRG22 is the old version, I have no complaints what so ever. Granted it has a lot of aftermarket parts on it, but the acton, trigger, bolt and barrel is factory standard. If the rifle you are looking at is in good condition, go for the older one, and buy a lot of ammo, mine (and others) seems to like the 175 grain SMK.

I have one that’s a newer model I like really well. The trigger isn’t nearly as light as some of my buddies triggers are, but I like my rifle anyhow.

Attachments

• 6F416A8B-893B-4F30-88C4-1C37344C4FA9.jpeg
    6F416A8B-893B-4F30-88C4-1C37344C4FA9.jpeg
    677.2 KB · Views: 226
Reactions: Vargmat
I've had a TRG since 2013. It is currently on its 3rd barrel. I have it chambered in 6.5 Addiction now, it started out as 6.5x47 as part of a Eurooptic special deal that had barrels put on by APA. I had a lot of trouble feeding the 6.5x47, so I put a KRG AI conversion backbone in and AI mags ran fine. I think everything is about perfect with the rifle, except the weight. I would like to get a lighter weight stock, and knock a pound or two off.

TRG 6,5 addiction and group.jpg

At the price these go for, its tempting to consider going custom.
in my opinion what you can pick a TRG up for right now it’s hard to beat what you get for the money. Euro optic was selling them for a song and I see used ones in the px frequently.

At the price these go for, its tempting to consider going custom.

With what is on the market now, I wouldn't buy a TRG again. There are good 60deg actions that fit a Rem 700 footprint enabling the use of trigger and stock of your choice or multiple based on switching applications.

I really liked my trg22. I sold it to buy my AI, but I would buy another one if I found the right deal. My oldest son it grown enough now to fit a full sized rifle, so I eventually will buy something for him to shoot with me.

The main factor i would go TRG is I get everything I want from the factory with no messing around or upgrading parts.

I have and use a Atlas PSR and 5H and neither are as nice to shoot from as the Sako.

I really liked my trg22. I sold it to buy my AI, but I would buy another one if I found the right deal. My oldest son it grown enough now to fit a full sized rifle, so I eventually will buy something for him to shoot with me.

The main factor i would go TRG is I get everything I want from the factory with no messing around or upgrading parts.

I have and use a Atlas PSR and 5H and neither are as nice to shoot from as the Sako.
How do you like the AI compared to the sako? I’ve always wanted an AI and contemplated selling my sako to try and get an AI AX

Hard to say. They both are extremely nice rifles out of the box. I liked the Sako trigger and bipod interface. I like the AI magazine, and quick change barrel.

I like my AI, but I would buy another TRG.

The only reason I might go with a AI over TRG again is if I wanted the take advantage of the quick change barrels.

Reactions: rancher5
Hard to say. They both are extremely nice rifles out of the box. I liked the Sako trigger and bipod interface. I like the AI magazine, and quick change barrel.

I like my AI, but I would buy another TRG.

The only reason I might go with a AI over TRG again is if I wanted the take advantage of the quick change barrels.

I recently put the krg barrel nut on my TRG and one of their 6mm barrels I like pretty well and while it’s not as quick as the AI it still is a relatively quick change.

I know there are options. Using something as designed was part of the appeal. Also there are sources all over for AX308 barrels.

As for the Tikka vs. TRG,

The TRG is noticely more robust and better suited for extreme hard use. I'd also give the edge in accuracy to the TRG although Tikka's are not far behind, if at all when properly bedded or in a chassis. Most of the accuracy difference comes from the trigger and solid fitment of the action in the chassis. We're talking custom rifle accuracy though with the TRG's, really incredible rifles. The barrels Sako produces are far better than most of what are coming out of factories in the US. For those on the fence, most long range enthusiast / PRS style shooting / LE / etc... will be served well by the Tikka. They are great guns at a very fair price and plenty of options out there to customize them to best fit your needs.

Thanks to this thread, I found a great deal on a pre 2013 TRG. Came with older versions of Terje’s adjustable cheekpiece and buttstock hardware. And the Sako three ring scope mount (which I’m now trying to sell in the PX but may end of keeping because it’s much more adjustable than I first thought).

Question: has anyone found the right screws to hold in the flush cups on the buttstock? I unscrewed the sling hook eyelets that came installed in the flush cups, but once those are out, the flush cups just fall out. In looking at a TRG parts diagram, there are two small screws that are used to hold the flush cups into the stock once you pull the threaded eyelets out (to enable the use of QD sling mounts with the flush cups). If I can’t find the actual Sako screws anywhere I’ll just find some generic screws that fit but thought I’d ask. Thanks.

Question: has anyone found the right screws to hold in the flush cups on the buttstock? I unscrewed the sling hook eyelets that came installed in the flush cups, but once those are out, the flush cups just fall out. In looking at a TRG parts diagram, there are two small screws that are used to hold the flush cups into the stock once you pull the threaded eyelets out (to enable the use of QD sling mounts with the flush cups). If I can’t find the actual Sako screws anywhere I’ll just find some generic screws that fit but thought I’d ask. Thanks.

Mine came with bags of extra hardware let me have a look and see if I can find the one your referring to. I’m pretty sure that was a short metric flat head screw if memory serves.

Really appreciate it! Yes it would be two short metric flat head screws that would fit inside the flush cups and thread through into the small insert inside the stock between the two flush cups. The parts diagram I’ve seen seems to show that one of the screws is shorter than the other but I don’t see why that would be the case given the threaded portion of the sling hook eyelets are the same length.

Really appreciate it! Yes it would be two short metric flat head screws that would fit inside the flush cups and thread through into the small insert inside the stock between the two flush cups. The parts diagram I’ve seen seems to show that one of the screws is shorter than the other but I don’t see why that would be the case given the threaded portion of the sling hook eyelets are the same length.

looks like the one I have is a M5 x 7MM I do not have a metric set of thread gauges unfortunately. I hope this helps.

That’s great, appreciate you digging that out and checking. I’ll report back with what hardware I end up getting as I’ve found a couple of old unresolved questions about this issue using the search function. Now I need to see if I can find a post-2013 recoil pad for this thing...

Group from my Sako TRG 6.5 Creedmoor at 100 yards. I’ve only had it out to 300 yards thus far but it’s performed well. Ready to stretch it out at Thunder Valley soon.

Attachments

• D1AE3FB9-8B76-4CA2-9A36-E18C3262E1D2.jpeg
    D1AE3FB9-8B76-4CA2-9A36-E18C3262E1D2.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Love
Reactions: sinister
TRG's are very nice rifles, they are very accurate and triggers are superb.
Magazines and accessories are bit more expensive than other brands.

In picture my TRG 42 with PAC stock.

PAC42fixed.jpg

I just switched the side the sling hook was on and used it to secure the flush cup on the proper side.

I've got two "older" TRG22's; one in factory bbl'd 308 and another with a Barlien chambered in 6XC. I really wish I would've gotten in on EuroOptic's 260 remington special run a few years back. Fantastic shooters, great ergos, and well worth the price tag IMO. Both of mine have Near base and otherwise unmodified except for some rattle can and grip texturing. Easy 1/2 moa guns when I do my part both with consistent loads and on the trigger.

EuroOptic recently had some good sales on TRG's both as separate rifles and packaged with optics; worth taking a look to get a good deal and good CS.

Reactions: mgrs
I've got two "older" TRG22's; one in factory bbl'd 308 and another with a Barlien chambered in 6XC. I really wish I would've gotten in on EuroOptic's 260 remington special run a few years back. Fantastic shooters, great ergos, and well worth the price tag IMO. Both of mine have Near base and otherwise unmodified except for some rattle can and grip texturing. Easy 1/2 moa guns when I do my part both with consistent loads and on the trigger.

EuroOptic recently had some good sales on TRG's both as separate rifles and packaged with optics; worth taking a look to get a good deal and good CS.

They have been playing 'sleight of hand' mix and match advertising games with the TRGs and Schmidt and Bender P4Fs for weeks now. Specific TRG 22 is $2550 one day, and $3300 the next, but you can get it for $1999 if you pay full MSRP price on the S&B 2-25 P4F that was marked down to $2100 previously.

Still a decent deal if you want that particular optic, but they have been pairing those P4Fs with all sorts of rifles to try and clear them out.

Reactions: mateofeo85
Tip that may help some people out — I wanted to replace the thin stock recoil pad on my pre-2013 TRG with the thicker pad from the newer rifles. Couldn’t find one anywhere. After eyeballing some online photos it looked like the Tikka T3X TAC-A1 was the same pad used on the new TRG (same company ownership so makes sense). Found one at Brownells and took a shot — kind of pricey at $65, but probably half what the cost would be for the same pad with a Sako logo on it if I could ever find one. Tikka recoil pad showed up today and fits perfectly — exact same design. Same thickness as the thin stock pad with two plastic spacers that came on my rifle, but it’s all rubber. If you can stand having a Tikka logo on your TRG, here’s the part number: S540203675

Tip that may help some people out — I wanted to replace the thin stock recoil pad on my pre-2013 TRG with the thicker pad from the newer rifles. Couldn’t find one anywhere. After eyeballing some online photos it looked like the Tikka T3X TAC-A1 was the same pad used on the new TRG (same company ownership so makes sense). Found one at Brownells and took a shot — kind of pricey at $65, but probably half what the cost would be for the same pad with a Sako logo on it if I could ever find one. Tikka recoil pad showed up today and fits perfectly — exact same design. Same thickness as the thin stock pad with two plastic spacers that came on my rifle, but it’s all rubber. If you can stand having a Tikka logo on your TRG, here’s the part number: S540203675
Hey bud. So it's the same thickness of the thin stock pad? Are you talking pre-13? My pre-13 is very thin.

Hey bud. So it's the same thickness of the thin stock pad? Are you talking pre-13? My pre-13 is very thin.
The Tikka Tac A-1 pad (pic below from Tikka website, you can see the solid rubber piece) is the same thickness as the pre-13 stock pad (which is about 2/3 inch) plus two thin plastic spacers (each maybe 1/3 inch). I bought my pre-2013 used and it came with the thin pad and two spacers (see pic attached). So my screws were the right length already for the new Tikka pad.
I don’t know if all pre-2013 rifles came with these two spacers. If not, you might have to get some longer screws but the stock screws might work fine — I’d give it a try. The important thing is that the Tikka pad has the same screw hole spacing, the same two “cones” on the backside of the screw holes as the old pad (see pic), and has the cutout in the center and a hole through the pad so you can access the adjustment screw.

Attachments

• E9B68DD7-9D1A-4039-938F-A58FEABF3294.jpeg
    E9B68DD7-9D1A-4039-938F-A58FEABF3294.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 1CE3155A-96B3-4911-8D15-E72E7F8F91E8.jpeg
    1CE3155A-96B3-4911-8D15-E72E7F8F91E8.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 86
  • EADE2097-042C-40EB-AF18-7D615B0986F5.jpeg
    EADE2097-042C-40EB-AF18-7D615B0986F5.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
The Tikka Tac A-1 pad (pic below from Tikka website, you can see the solid rubber piece) is the same thickness as the pre-13 stock pad (which is about 2/3 inch) plus two thin plastic spacers (each maybe 1/3 inch). I bought my pre-2013 used and it came with the thin pad and two spacers (see pic attached). So my screws were the right length already for the new Tikka pad.
I don’t know if all pre-2013 rifles came with these two spacers. If not, you might have to get some longer screws but the stock screws might work fine — I’d give it a try. The important thing is that the Tikka pad has the same screw hole spacing, the same two “cones” on the backside of the screw holes as the old pad (see pic), and has the cutout in the center and a hole through the pad so you can access the adjustment screw.
This is perfect for me, I need another half inch of LOP anyway (I run 14.75-15").

Looks like only brownells has them, and they are out of stock... I'll pick one up when they are available again.

Yes I ordered mine from Brownells maybe 10 days ago. They’re pretty good about getting stuff back in stock, so backorder is something to think about.

In case I havent reply to this thread before… The Tikka T3X A1 it’s pretty much is good as a TRG-22 for a fair amount less coin.

that’s not to say that a TRG 22 or a TRG 42 are not fantastic firearms. I have my pre-2013 TRG 42 and it is a tack driver.

The big difference between the rifle I bought in 2010 and what’s readily available right now is that there are a lot more options and many of them will shoot just as well.

What’s more impressive when it comes to the Sako rifles is that they are purpose built sniper rifles; pretty much every option you would like to find can be gotten from SAKO for a good amount of money. However, there are a lot of aftermarket options that you can get for your rifle from KRG, and elite iron, and others.

you can’t go wrong with a Sako TRG... but you can find cost-effective competitors at this point.

Hit me up if you need any parts as I’ve got a shit load of stuff lying around that I’m not using anymore.

Elite iron bipod for the TRG...
14E8F03A-0CC5-47D7-92FF-DC3EFD1BCC94.jpegB8A74BFC-FCCE-4763-8F5E-C5C0385D2115.jpeg

Reactions: Bravo6
Beautiful gun. Sako makes amazing rifles. If the TRG M10 were really available here with aftermarket support, I’d have bought it over my AI for sure.

Reactions: lambsey
Love me some trg42. Ran it as a 300norma improved in Wyoming and now I’m breaking in the new 338 rogue barrel.

Attachments

• B4813646-0FF8-4B44-82A2-3526B92E82FE.jpeg
    B4813646-0FF8-4B44-82A2-3526B92E82FE.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 125
  • FAEC3B64-A64F-4A6D-9DFC-D6B9839993CD.jpeg
    FAEC3B64-A64F-4A6D-9DFC-D6B9839993CD.jpeg
    659 KB · Views: 109