• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAKO TRG-22

I want a green 6.5, why isn’t that a factory configuration?

The barrel is my current issue. I'm going to cut it or get of the rifle all together and go with a AR-10 platform.

Why do you regret cutting it to 20 ?
I have an LMT MWS with an 18 inch 6.5 CM Bartlein barrel… that barrel produces the same velocities as a 24in LMT 65CM…

All TRG‘s come with 26 or 27 inch barrels…. They are sniper rifles.

If I wanted to shorter barrel I would probably contact KRG, or have someone make me a Bartlein Barrel for my TRG.

Because the military is using 260 Remington….
D28C0A95-6938-4A03-A22E-5B2390386323.jpeg

That would be awesome, also if you are able to take a picture side by side/ top view ?
907C0499-10FF-4185-BC3E-31ACAD72E43B.jpeg

So, both shown with standard brake config, TRG on the left and Tikka Tac A1 on the right. Sako’s barrel is thicker. It measures .86” on the calipers towards the crown and the Tikka measures .79”. So the Sako is .07” thicker there. I believe this matches the specs above that someone else listed. *Edit* I just went and looked at the specs someone else provided and my Sako TRG measures thicker than what they provided, more inline with what they are calling the Arctic addition. The TRG is also significantly larger on the shank end than the Tikka. I hope that helps. Both are 1/4moa Guns with factory Ammo tho as long as you do your part. Sorry it took a minute to get these. I don’t keep them in the same location. My other .308’s with custom barrels measure .96” and .97” in the same location. Just for added info. One is a Bartlein and one is a Rock Creek.

Last edited:
I'm trying to catch up to you :D

View attachment 7786025
So, both shown with standard brake config, TRG on the left and Tikka Tac A1 on the right. Sako’s barrel is thicker. It measures .86” on the calipers towards the crown and the Tikka measures .79”. So the Sako is .07” thicker there. I believe this matches the specs above that someone else listed. *Edit* I just went and looked at the specs someone else provided and my Sako TRG measures thicker than what they provided, more inline with what they are calling the Arctic addition. The TRG is also significantly larger on the shank end than the Tikka. I hope that helps. Both are 1/4moa Guns with factory Ammo tho as long as you do your part. Sorry it took a minute to get these. I don’t keep them in the same location. My other .308’s with custom barrels measure .96” and .97” in the same location. Just for added info. One is a Bartlein and one is a Rock Creek.
Thanks for sharing this info. it is very helpful!

Reactions: SilentStalkr
It is the ONLY chassis the compares to the TRG stocks.

No shit, it’s fantastic. The knuckle for the folder came today and took a few minutes to install. Little blue Loctite, nothing too crazy, and we’re ready to go!

It is the ONLY chassis the compares to the TRG stocks.

No shit, it’s fantastic. The knuckle for the folder came today and took a few minutes to install. Little blue Loctite, nothing too crazy, and we’re ready to go!
One day. I’m still rocking the W3 folding backhalf with a spigot mount for now.

If you have the opportunity, the current TRG folder is the shit…

00EF1623-7994-4AA2-B2F4-FE564E77A6D5.jpeg
45A2EEC3-99D3-49B7-AE62-912C48D9A7E1.jpeg

Specifically, its every bit as good as the OEM stock, BUT its completely adjustable without the need for spacers.

Plus, no need for bag or bag rider… the M10 style rear height adjustment is fantastic… course and fine adjustment.

View attachment 7786873View attachment 7786874

Specifically, its every bit as good as the OEM stock, BUT its completely adjustable without the need for spacers.

Plus, no need for bag or bag rider… the M10 style rear height adjustment is fantastic… course and fine adjustment.

This or the Vision chassis? A folding Vision is ~$200-300 less if you can snag the Sako folder on discount. Vision also brings CTR mags to the table.

I have a TRG-42 in 338 since 2008, it's a great accurate rifle, you can see that there was a lot of experience and thought put into the rifle in order to make it a true old fashion infantry sniper rifle it's light so you can carry it for very long periods and very robust.
The only problem I had was the bolt catch pin has broken 3 times on me, I managed to find spare ones from brownells.com but today they only carry the complete bolt catch kit which costs about 100 usd, eventually I managed to make replacements from 3mm filler screws which I machined on a lathe.

Reason for regretting the 20" is mostly because I went from a plain 26" barrel to a suppressed 20" (Ase Utra QD suppressor over an Ase Utra flashhider). So it's not only cutting it to 20", its the combination of going from 26" and unsuppressed down to 20" and suppressed.

The rifle became more compact, easier to fit in a car and everything but I found that for the shooting I love to do running a suppressor just isnt that great. Also while the 308 feed and functioned perfectly I've been having some very minir feeding issues with the Creedmoor. They are very minor but I cant shake the fact that the 308 just worked, all the time, every time.

All in all I've gone from a 26" 308 with an effective range of 1000 yards that I would absolutely trust in any situation (fighting or competition) to a rifle I don't trust with a range of 12-1400 yards.

The TRG-22 was my go to. Now its my 308 AW.

What suppressor are you running? I’m still rocking a 30P1 haha. All my stuff is old school.
Because I too have a bunch of old suppressors, I’m currently running a 338 Phantom on both the 300wm and the 308. The OE barrels have M1 x 18 threads an YHM doesn’t have or never made that threading for the 30 cal Phantoms adapters.

The 338 can is pretty perfect for the 300wm, but not ideal for the 308.

View attachment 7786873View attachment 7786874

Agreed, it is an awesome piece of kit! However I prefer the Sako fixed stock over any other style (even with its lack of adjustments compared to the folder and the chassis options) solely for the ergonomics of the thumb position. The open top vertical grip as found on the TRG, KRG Bravo, a lot of the Manners and McMillan options allows for the most natural firing hand position. But that is just me…

Reason for regretting the 20" is mostly because I went from a plain 26" barrel to a suppressed 20" (Ase Utra QD suppressor over an Ase Utra flashhider). So it's not only cutting it to 20", its the combination of going from 26" and unsuppressed down to 20" and suppressed.

The rifle became more compact, easier to fit in a car and everything but I found that for the shooting I love to do running a suppressor just isnt that great. Also while the 308 feed and functioned perfectly I've been having some very minir feeding issues with the Creedmoor. They are very minor but I cant shake the fact that the 308 just worked, all the time, every time.

All in all I've gone from a 26" 308 with an effective range of 1000 yards that I would absolutely trust in any situation (fighting or competition) to a rifle I don't trust with a range of 12-1400 yards.

you can try going 20 un-supressed 308 and see if it brings back the old glory!
you can always jump off the 6.5 hype bandwagon.. i will admit it does have its pro's and con's.

KRG makes a ton of replacement barrels and it would be really easy to start using a barrel nut system.

You can get it in to 60, 6.5 Creedmoor, 308… and with 308 you can change the reading twist so you can actually use more aerodynamically stable boats such as solids.

Interesting. I shoot a lot of .308’s at 20” suppressed and it’s damn near perfect for me. My only gripe and something I haven’t figured out yet is that now when I do shoot suppressed the bolt lift is ridiculous, damn near have to be Arnold to unstick that damn thing. Only thing I can think of is I’m getting some kind of carbon ring or something funny about the brass that I cannot visually make out. Any ideas?

I have a 26" and had a 20" TRGs in 308. The 20" was soo light and handy, sometimes wish I hadn't sold it. Velocities shooting M118-LR was 2650ish and 2600-fps respectively.

Thinking about getting a 7 SAW barrel for the TRG, think it would be an ideal platform for that cartridge.

what is the black box/cube above the folder hinge?
That is the spacer that was there between chassis and butt stock before he put the folder knuckle in. Yeah, a bit confusing but you can see that they both are the same width so adding the knuckle doesn't change LOP.

Interesting. I shoot a lot of .308’s at 20” suppressed and it’s damn near perfect for me. My only gripe and something I haven’t figured out yet is that now when I do shoot suppressed the bolt lift is ridiculous, damn near have to be Arnold to unstick that damn thing. Only thing I can think of is I’m getting some kind of carbon ring or something funny about the brass that I cannot visually make out. Any ideas?
Increased back pressure resulting in hot loads?
Tried reducing gunpowder?

There’s absolutely differences between different manufacturers barrels. I have an LMT with a 18in Bartlein barrel and it shoots just as fast as a 24 inch LMT barrel. They chronograph nearly identical…

It’s going to be hard to beat a full length OEM TRG barrel. However the United States makes a lot of really good barrels and I think that you could probably get a 20 inch barrel that would shoot just awfully close.

If you wanted it shorter but wanted to keep some of the weight you just get a thicker profile.

Oh, yeah… if anyone is looking to rebarrel a TRG22/TRG42, i’ve got spare barrels if youre looking. Highly unlikely I need the 300 win mag barrels given that I just got a new TRG42A1.

Customs built rifles are cool but there’s something about racking the bolt on these 3 that’s satisfying.

Attachments

• 6A4EBE01-E112-4432-AF3C-9CC61183698C.jpeg
    6A4EBE01-E112-4432-AF3C-9CC61183698C.jpeg
    790.6 KB · Views: 113
  • FB05D171-2079-4D2C-A69F-754FD0B331BF.png
    FB05D171-2079-4D2C-A69F-754FD0B331BF.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 125
Can I get some of y’all’s opinions on direct mounted Optilock scope mount vs. a scope base and rings/mount of choice? Considering Sako p/n S151F972 or a Near rail and maybe ARC M-brace, though the 1.25” is a bit tall.

Can I get some of y’all’s opinions on direct mounted Optilock scope mount vs. a scope base and rings/mount of choice? Considering Sako p/n S151F972 or a Near rail and maybe ARC M-brace, though the 1.25” is a bit tall.
Unless you have a really good reason, get a Spuhr and be done with it.

Near is the way to go on the TRG.
In both scope base and mount? That’s a nearly $600 solution and I don’t understand what a Near mount gets me over a similar American or European (big Era-Tac or Tier One fan for some reason) mount.
Unless you have a really good reason, get a Spuhr and be done with it.
That isn’t an option, I have my reasons. Move forward with the assumption that Spuhr doesn’t exist.

In both scope base and mount? That’s a nearly $600 solution and I don’t understand what a Near mount gets me over a similar American or European (big Era-Tac or Tier One fan for some reason) mount.

That isn’t an option, I have my reasons. Move forward with the assumption that Spuhr doesn’t exist.

Near is one of the highest quality systems out there, and that easily equates to maintaining zero, and providing repeatability. Plus, Near offers some custom options that the other manufacturers don't.