• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG Lapua Vs Custom. What would you do?

For the price - $3700 - I'd get a TRG. If you up your budget a little a custom stick from one of the SH smiths would be great.

For 6k more I'd hope an AI would even jack you off after firing it. Badass rifles, but not everyone's budget fits 10k for a bare rifle... Not to mention during working up a load for my TRG 42, I have multiple 3/8 moa 5 shot groups with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was supposed to come off " tongue and cheek", I'm more of a 1911 guy. I haven't been on in awhile and forgot how sensitive some people can be.

I bought my AIAE MKII with 140 rounds on it with a Bartlien barrel. I paid $3k. Had the barrel cut down to 22" added a SAS tomb brake and victor grippy cheek rest.

Even with a scope and suppressor I won't have 6k in it.

Now to ease your mind, if I wasn't running a AI I'd be running a TRG. Not to mention the only .338 I'd consider buying is a TRG.

That was supposed to come off " tongue and cheek", I'm more of a 1911 guy. I haven't been on in awhile and forgot how sensitive some people can be.

I bought my AIAE MKII with 140 rounds on it with a Bartlien barrel. I paid $3k. Had the barrel cut down to 22" added a SAS tomb brake and victor grippy cheek rest.

Even with a scope and suppressor I won't have 6k in it.

Now to ease your mind, if I wasn't running a AI I'd be running a TRG. Not to mention the only .338 I'd consider buying is a TRG.

Never meant to sound like I got my panties in a wad. Nothing sensitive about me in these forums... So if it came off that way, disregard my comment.....I like AI, they are just a bit pricey... I actually landed my trg42 from euro optic a couple years ago for 2600, new.... Looking at them now the prices have increased a bit. Both are great rifles. Such as Glock is a wonderful pistol and 1911s are too. I own a few of each....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forgot to add, the sako brake is nice and easily removable but the fat bastard i had put on is miles better, changes from a 300 WM like snap to a good push. one feature of the sako brake is the supposed ability to adjust the brake to limit the left/right muzzle jump by rotating it either direction and then locking it down. tried the adjustments but didn't see much difference.
sako bipod is really nice but $$$, and when folded it scratches the hell out of your barrel. i wrapped a few loops of electrical tape on the feet to stop it.

Id love to have the oppurtunity to fire an AI.. Ive only got to finger F*&K a few. They are works of art, no doubt. Just curious why would you not go back with 338lm?.. What would you go with?

I went with an AW260. I've fired the AW magnums both in 300 and 338 as well as the original AX 338. If it were me, I'd go 300WM. Components do add up and the amount I shoot I'd be looking for a new barrel in three years. Also the bullet selection for 30 cal is great. I also don't shoot long enough distance where I would really benefit having the 338.

But thats just me, I still don't think the OP would go wrong with either of his choices and the 338 is a great round.

A major factor is being honest with yourself and deciding if you're the type of guy who gets bored after a year with a new rifle and wants to try something else. If you're not wealthy, losing a ton selling a custom rifle you paid to have built may be a big turnoff. If you buy a lightly used trg and don't beat the crap out of it, you can sell it for the same price (or close) that you paid for it. In fact, you might just buy a used TRG to see if it works for you as there's little downside with their amazing reputation and resale.
my $0.02

Here's my opinion. I'm not a high dollar rifle collector, but built one custom also in .338 LM. I looked at several high end factory rifles, and there are many nice ones, but none of them were EXACTLY what I wanted. I was patient, and researched the hell out of every component. I saved, and bought components as I could afford them. It was exciting every time a piece showed up. When they were all here, I took the box to LRI, and told them EXACTLY what I wanted, down to the barrel engraving. What I got back was the most beautiful rifle I've ever seen, that makes me happy every time I even see it. A rifle that was built FOR ME. Little things like having Chad there, and measuring where to set the action in the stock so the trigger was where I wanted it make a difference. There's no factory rifle that can give me that feeling.

Barrel engraving.

2 tone cerakote. Sniper grey, black flutes

Looks sharp, the end result definetly was worth the wait. That is the way to go but only if you actually know what you want. If I think back to what I though I wanted, and what I know now from experience, practice and a few schools my original custom would be all wrong.

if you do your homework and select bits n pieces to come up with a really nice build like trigger29 did, a good working rifle is the result. it looks very similar to the PGW Timberwolf. the Sako TRG42 is a well balanced package from the factory for a very reasonable price, considering the time to develop each component of the rifle.