• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG M10 or AI AX-MC, torn between 2 lovers

I spent 4.5 hours on the M10 yesterday. I chrono'd some factory ammo and did some load testing. I got it tweaked to the point that I am pretty accurate with it. It took awhile but I got it. It is remarkable what tiny adjustments can do for you.
Triggered A partial to answer your question. I don't think it as comfortable as the TRG shooting off a bench. (I had to use a bench due to range limitations.)
The butt pad is not as adjustable as the TRG. It's also narrower. Even so I f***ing love the gun. I am glad I bought it when I could.

I will post a full range report on the TRG thread here: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...les/6260371-sako-trg-trg-s-m995-thread-sticky.

As far as I heard, LRI (Chad) can make a barrel extension too. So, do not need to purchase a M10 barrel as a donor. if so, then it's awesome.

Reactions: Statie07
As far as I heard, LRI (Chad) can make a barrel extension too. So, do not need to purchase a M10 barrel as a donor. if so, then it's awesome.
Just digging this thread up to see how you m10 owners are getting on,im so close to pulling the trigger on one but would love a 260 barrel as well.Are the barrels threaded or pressed to the extension?

Just digging this thread up to see how you m10 owners are getting on,im so close to pulling the trigger on one but would love a 260 barrel as well.Are the barrels threaded or pressed to the extension?
I am about to send a donor M10 barrel and a blank to LRI. I hope during this week. 6.5 Creedmoor.
I presume a barrel extension is threaded.

Sent. Hopes for Chad.

Attachments

• FAC9D018-397F-4C98-B2E9-549863A8F621.jpeg
    FAC9D018-397F-4C98-B2E9-549863A8F621.jpeg
    584.5 KB · Views: 143

I bought one 3 months ago and love it. You will not be disappointed.

I just emailed LRI and was told they are not making M10 extensions but that they have considered it. Let them know your interested and maybe it will happen.

Done...
Now I can call this rifle "multiple caliber" :)
Thanks LRI for the great job!!!

P.S. barrels in the Sako TRG M10 contour, full copy.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 229
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 197
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Reactions: charliem249
Done...
Now I can call this rifle "multi-caliber" :)
Thanks LRI for the great job!!!

P.S. barrels in the Sako TRG M10 contour, full copy.

Nice!

Wow that is very nice looking work!
Thanks for doing the leg work on this project. As Sako M-10 owners we now have near unlimited caliber options for the platform!
That is no small accomplishment.

Reactions: Silvan and Bradu
Silvan,
I know the barrel extensions are a press fit, can you elaborate on that? How do they insure that it is not coming off? Also at $875 /barrel, it gets rather expensive to rebarrel just to acquire the extension. Have you seen the barrel extension? Does it look difficult to machine? If I go down the M10 rabbit hole, I may get a good machinist friend of mine to make extensions for me if its not too difficult(expensive) of a design.

Silvan,
I know the barrel extensions are a press fit, can you elaborate on that? How do they insure that it is not coming off? Also at $875 /barrel, it gets rather expensive to rebarrel just to acquire the extension. Have you seen the barrel extension? Does it look difficult to machine? If I go down the M10 rabbit hole, I may get a good machinist friend of mine to make extensions for me if its not too difficult(expensive) of a design.
Hi,
They are threaded. I presume there should not be any issues. I’d also worry if they were pressed.
Yes, I’ve seen it and think a barrel extension is the most complicated part to machine and copy. The key is a steel and its hardening, and design. Sako keeps secrets as well as does not sell barrel extensions separately (I asked severel times a few Sako employees from Finland).
A good thing - the M10 barrel extension is reusable, just need to have one for years.

Nice!

Wow that is very nice looking work!
Thanks for doing the leg work on this project. As Sako M-10 owners we now have near unlimited caliber options for the platform!
That is no small accomplishment.
Thanks!

Thanks Silvan,
I thought I had read earlier in this thread that they were pressed together. Threaded is much better. I'll have to ask my friend the logistics of a project like this as he would know exactly how to do it. I'm not dropping names but he did design a well known rifle action. I worked for him a few years ago making them. He might tell me it's too much hassle. If I get a chance to see an M10 extension and or rifle, I'll run it by him. Might be a while though, not a lot in circulation.

Are any of you guys playing with the 300mag setup in a M-10? I just finished some load development with mine. The things are a one hole wonder with 190gr smk bullets loaded at mag length.

Are any of you guys playing with the 300mag setup in a M-10? I just finished some load development with mine. The things are a one hole wonder with 190gr smk bullets loaded at mag length.
Ask JustBC, he has one in .300WM as far as I know.

I would be interested in hearing more about this load.
Thanks

Well that's just spooky. I was just loading up some rounds for it and thinking I should send an update.

I haven't been able to shoot it since my last post.

I have come to believe that the AI barrel change method is better. You don't need to rely on an extension, you just screw it in. I don't know what kind of POI shift you get with an AI but I bet they beat .9 Mil. I would also be interested to know if the AI has a consistent return to zero after swapping barrels around.

Even still, I would choose the M10 again. It is comfortable to shoot, even with 338. Also, it has the TRG trigger. In my opinion the best trigger on any factory rifle out there.

I will post a range report in the next couple days. I'm hoping to get some good loads worked up tonight. So far I have shot mostly factory. I have Monday and Tuesday off so I am going to get some real trigger time on it.

I have around 3k rounds through m10 last couple of years. My only gripe is the adjustable length of pull having some play...

Last edited by a moderator:
Love my m10. .338 barrel still going strong after 3k. Only minor minus is adjustable stock and cheekpiece is a little sloppy (rattles). Anyone have a fix for this without having to lock it down?

Attachments

• 20181102_174305.jpg
    20181102_174305.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: Vargmat
To the OP:

I have a TRG-42 in 300WM, and its my favorite rifle.

I did 6.5CM on the cheap with an SSG3000 cheap. Benchmark barrels sells drop ins and its about $700 a barrel...

The Sig action is almost as smooth as the TRG, and with the McMillan stock its great to shoot.

I think it was ~$10k for the TRG and all of the crapmInhqve for it (I have everything).

The Sig, including the second one, was about $5k for two rifles with 3 barrels and two McMillan stocks.

An the barrels can be replaced in 15 minutes.

Probably one of the most cost effective setuos you can get and still really not have any regrets.

The triggers are great too.

Also, I don't know why the F*** they won't sell green rifles in this country. I really wanted one but no-go. I am going to have to ask them.
Thanks,

BC

I recently had to get a rail for the SSG3000 (one of them is the original style that has the TRG’s non Picatinny native rail system), so I ordered one from Scandinavia.

I bet you if yiu really want the green stock, you can probably get someone to order one of them and ship it from there. It’ll be expensive nsive, but you’ll have it.

I recently had to get a rail for the SSG3000 (one of them is the original style that has the TRG’s non Picatinny native rail system), so I ordered one from Scandinavia.

I bet you if yiu really want the green stock, you can probably get someone to order one of them and ship it from there. It’ll be expensive nsive, but you’ll have it.

The ssg3000 is short action (no 338lm etc). M10 is both (can even turn bolt stop)...

Some follow up. I am loving the M10. I have shot mostly .308 with it. I have not taken it past 900 yetI had an additional barrel made by LRI in 7-300 Win Mag. I had to sacrifice a barrel to have it done so it was more expensive than I would want. I had it chambered for the Berger 195s. They are too long to load magazine length so I single load. (BTW, LRI called me about this BEFORE they did the chambering to make sure it was OK.) LRI did a great job. The barrel is a laser. The 2 fliers were all me, not the barrel.
I found a couple good nodes with H1000. One low, one high. At the high node I am getting 2973 FPS with the Berger 195 EOLs. That should take me to a mile. I have shot 40 rounds so far for load development and testing. I got 2 heavy bolt lifts at the end of the second session so I stopped. Either I need to dial back or I was getting a carbon ring. Anyhow, this is not a reloading thread...
I am in process of working up loads for the 338. I picked up a 300 Win Mag barrel as well. I am going to try the Berger 200.20x. I too get a tiny bit of rattle from the cheekpiece and buttstock extension. It is not bad enough to really bother me. At some point I want to have 6.5 and 6MM barrels made. After that I will probably get rid of most of my other bolt guns.
Also, the story with LRI making the extensions......
Chad said machining them is the easy part. Having them correctly heat treated and hardened is the trick. The Finnaccuracy people put a .375 Cheytac barrel on an M10 extension and it did just fine. That is some high pressure to handle. He was going to model an extension for me so he could play around but he was really busy with something else. I wanted my rifle back so we dropped the idea. Again, if enough of us ask him it might become a priority. Also, if enough of pester the folks at Sako, maybe they will actually sell extensions.

Attachments

• IMG_3162.jpg
    IMG_3162.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 70
Love my m10. .338 barrel still going strong after 3k. Only minor minus is adjustable stock and cheekpiece is a little sloppy (rattles). Anyone have a fix for this without having to lock it down?
What bipod is that? Interesting setup.

Signed up for local PRS competitions in December. Will keep you all posted the way it goes.
Hope, a 6.5 barrel will have worked well.

Hey guys,. Fwiw,
If you need m10 mags or barrels Beretta estore is have an up to 40 percent off sale. That makes mags like $135 and barrels $555 with free shipping. It is worth looking at.

Thanks
Charlie