• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG22 vs Sig SSG 3000

Dr. Strangelove_207

No fighting in the War Room!
Minuteman
May 27, 2020
UK - Yorkshire
Good evening all,

I’m contemplating upgrading my Steyr SSG 69 to one of the above mentioned rifles. My main use for it will be target shooting (and PRS) although the occasional hunt wouldn’t be out of the question.

The SSG 69 has a 1:12 twist with a 24.25” barrel (the ‘slow’ twist is the main reason I’m thinking of the change)

I’ve seen a TRG 22 within my budget with a 26” 1:11 twist and have also been offered an SSG 3000 with, I believe, a 26” 1:10 twist (although all the info online I can see says they came with 24” 1:10).

I’m over in the UK but have a budget that equates to around $2,750.

If anyone can make a direct comparison between the two, or give me some other sage advice, that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks all,

Dr. S

I have had the Sauer STR 200 wich is the same as the SSG3000 but has a dovetail on top of the action instead of a picatinny rail. Other than that everything is the same. Its a great rifle and the bread and butter of all scandinavian rifle target shooting, everyone and their uncle has one. You can change the barrel yourself, only need a hex-key. Magazines and barrels for it is still very cheap. There are a few really good aftermarket chassis for it.
I had mine in a GRS Bolthorn and my friend has his in a McMillan. I shot the tightest group I have ever shot on paper with that rifle, allthough it was a heavy beast. I had it in 6.5x55 Swede.
About 2 years ago I got myself a Sako TRG 22 in good old 308 winchester. I had an itch for one for a good few years before I got the opportunity to get one for the right amount of money. Its souped up with the KRG folding stock, Spuhr ISMS scope mount, various KRG bits and an Ase Utra SL7 BL suppressor.
To me, it has the best trigger of any precision rifle out there. Its crazy accurate, and I have hit steel out to 1100 meters with it. I would not say its better than the STR/SSG, they are just as good. But I like the TRG more personally. Even if everything Sako is (stupid)expensive and it is not as user friendly as the STR/SSG is. Everything about the TRG just feels the way things should feel, you know?

What are Sauer sparepart prices like in the UK?

Have worked on various TRG rifles - routine maintainence and Rebarrels and shot several

I own and compete in SIS (PRS in the UK) with SSG 3000 in vision competition chassis which I have re barrelled myself using barrel extension pieces from Denmark

The SSG is very nicely balanced to shoot and move between stages the only limiting factor being my ability

The mags feed perfectly with printed mag extensions so I now have 7 round capability (mag changes are very slick and simple operation)

Trigger is a drop out unit that is adjustable and two stage

The TRG is a nice rifle but the stock in standard form does not lend itself to PRS stages (it’s short and quite deep)

Vision make an aftermarket forward piece that replaces the Sako forend that would address that

The Sako trigger isn’t the best two stage I’ve used or worked on and I’ve seen some that have failed

Barrel changes can be done but require tools (barrel clamp and action wrench ) not as simple as the SSG 3000

Mags for the TRG are expensive and some are unreliable (same as Tikka CTR) - not something I’d want for a Comp gun

If you are looking at either secondhand in the UK you would be using your budget to get either to a position you could use it and be competitive (base rifle and aftermarket chassis)

Whilst I really like my SSG I have to admit I’ve pre ordered an ATX which inwill re barrel - and when that comes, the SSG may be getting used as a back up - it depends which I end up preferring to use in comps

Time will tell with that one

I think you may be best to try both if possible asee what you like best

Your welcome to try the SSG if you are anywhere near the north

Contact via here or see link below to my web site

Good evening all,

I’m contemplating upgrading my Steyr SSG 69 to one of the above mentioned rifles. My main use for it will be target shooting (and PRS) although the occasional hunt wouldn’t be out of the question.

The SSG 69 has a 1:12 twist with a 24.25” barrel (the ‘slow’ twist is the main reason I’m thinking of the change)

I’ve seen a TRG 22 within my budget with a 26” 1:11 twist and have also been offered an SSG 3000 with, I believe, a 26” 1:10 twist (although all the info online I can see says they came with 24” 1:10).

I’m over in the UK but have a budget that equates to around $2,750.

If anyone can make a direct comparison between the two, or give me some other sage advice, that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks all,

Dr. S
Vargmat and Redmist covered it all I think...

But having owned and shot both, I feel a need to chime in.

Personally I could not decide which to put in first place, it is more about what you want and what particular likes and dislikes you have.

Vargmat and Redmist covered it all I think...

But having owned and shot both, I feel a need to chime in.

Personally I could not decide which to put in first place, it is more about what you want and what particular likes and dislikes you have.

Thanks, good to hear and know! I guess if you had to sell one, which would it be? If you can decide…!

Thanks, good to hear and know! I guess if you had to sell one, which would it be? If you can decide…!
I sold the SSG due to less interest in competitive shooting, which was its main use. Then got an offer on a NIB TRG that I couldn't refuse.

I like the TRG better. Wheight and ergonomics mainly. Like Vargmat I have a KRG folder on it for ease of use (Removing the bolt for transport is mandatory where I live, buttstock quick adjustment and ease of transport with a shorter package).

But! The SSG is more versatile. I had three barrels, (308, 6.5x55 and 22lr) and changeing barrel and sighting in/switching scope was very easy.

I do regret selling the SSG sometimes...

As I said, I can't really put one before the other.
The TRG has a small advantage due to less weight and ergonomics.
The SSG due to versatility.
Both are excellent rifles.

I sold the SSG due to less interest in competitive shooting, which was its main use. Then got an offer on a NIB TRG that I couldn't refuse.

I like the TRG better. Wheight and ergonomics mainly. Like Vargmat I have a KRG folder on it for ease of use (Removing the bolt for transport is mandatory where I live, buttstock quick adjustment and ease of transport with a shorter package).

But! The SSG is more versatile. I had three barrels, (308, 6.5x55 and 22lr) and changeing barrel and sighting in/switching scope was very easy.

Thanks for the detailed reply, very much appreciated!

@VargmatII - I’m not sure what Sauer spare prices are like in the UK to be honest. Could you recommend any Swedish hunting/shooting forums that I could join to perhaps keep an eye out for spares etc in the future? Thanks!

I have owned several of both rifles in many configurations:

-2 or 3 pre 2013 TRG22 in 308 and with aftermarket barrels in 260 and 6.5 CM doing barrel changes myself with the KRG action wrench (great action wrench), a post 2013 TRG22 with the new trigger (I much prefer the pre 2013 trigger), I have owned a Sako TRG Gen II folder and also the quick adjust butt and cheek for the fixed stock. I have shot the TRG with the factory bipod (my favorite field use bipod), Harris on the accessory rail with an adapter, and a KRG extension with Atlas PRS & CAL bipods. Out of all of the TRG configurations I have owned I much prefer the factory fixed stock, pre 2013 trigger, and Sako TRG bipod with a light Palma 22” barrel in 260.

-2 SSG3000 both the German made rifles in McMillan SSG stocks & 1 Sauer 200STR in the laminate stock with both the 308 conversion and the 22lr conversion. I really do not like the bedding / stock interface design of the SSG/STR however that being said I have never had any issue with POI shift or accuracy related complaints out of it but you do have to ay attention how you assemble it and how much torque you use. The barrels are easy to change but it is in no way as easy as a DTA and especially no an AI (both of which I have owned), but it is still good.

-The SSG & STR stocks are not nearly as ergonomic as the TRG stock to me. The trigger on the SSG/STR is every bit as good as the TRG and better than the post 2013 TRG trigger. I love both safety mechanisms in the TRG and the SSG with a slight preference to the TRG. I like the 10 round capability of the TRG mag but prefer the ease of reloading of the SSG over about any other system out there the push button and spring eject is such a killer design and the same of the SSG/STR magazine lends to such a smooth natural mag insertion. Both magazines suck ass to load in the extreme cold with gloves on. Both rifles have been equally as accurate over all the rifles and barrels I have owned (easily sub 1/2 MOA). To me the TRG action is smoother than and faster to cycle than the SSG/STR, not drastically but noticeable.

-My preference is the TRG but neither are a bad choice. If you do go with the SSG look into the Vision chassis.

Just a comment regarding the action screws on the SSG.

If it is the "American market" plastic stock we are discussing (not the McMillan composite), it has an aluminium bedding block and which makes it drastically less dependant on torque values.

The SSG has been sold in four different stocks over the years. Two of them wood laminate.

I have owned several of both rifles in many configurations:

-2 or 3 pre 2013 TRG22 in 308 and with aftermarket barrels in 260 and 6.5 CM doing barrel changes myself with the KRG action wrench (great action wrench), a post 2013 TRG22 with the new trigger (I much prefer the pre 2013 trigger), I have owned a Sako TRG Gen II folder and also the quick adjust butt and cheek for the fixed stock. I have shot the TRG with the factory bipod (my favorite field use bipod), Harris on the accessory rail with an adapter, and a KRG extension with Atlas PRS & CAL bipods. Out of all of the TRG configurations I have owned I much prefer the factory fixed stock, pre 2013 trigger, and Sako TRG bipod with a light Palma 22” barrel in 260.

-2 SSG3000 both the German made rifles in McMillan SSG stocks & 1 Sauer 200STR in the laminate stock with both the 308 conversion and the 22lr conversion. I really do not like the bedding / stock interface design of the SSG/STR however that being said I have never had any issue with POI shift or accuracy related complaints out of it but you do have to ay attention how you assemble it and how much torque you use. The barrels are easy to change but it is in no way as easy as a DTA and especially no an AI (both of which I have owned), but it is still good.

-The SSG & STR stocks are not nearly as ergonomic as the TRG stock to me. The trigger on the SSG/STR is every bit as good as the TRG and better than the post 2013 TRG trigger. I love both safety mechanisms in the TRG and the SSG with a slight preference to the TRG. I like the 10 round capability of the TRG mag but prefer the ease of reloading of the SSG over about any other system out there the push button and spring eject is such a killer design and the same of the SSG/STR magazine lends to such a smooth natural mag insertion. Both magazines suck ass to load in the extreme cold with gloves on. Both rifles have been equally as accurate over all the rifles and barrels I have owned (easily sub 1/2 MOA). To me the TRG action is smoother than and faster to cycle than the SSG/STR, not drastically but noticeable.

-My preference is the TRG but neither are a bad choice. If you do go with the SSG look into the Vision chassis.

Thank you, great to hear of your experiences with both.

I’m leaning towards the SSG at this stage but will try and get some trigger time behind both before I pull the trigger, so to speak!

I have had both rifles, and liked SSG 3000 better.

One advantage is the quick barrel change system with SSG3000. The second is that SSG3000's action length allowed me to shoot 6.5x55 caliber, which I enjoy more than other 6.5mm cartridges. The third reason is that in my experience, SSG3000's factory barrels (7.62x51) were slightly more accurate than TRG22's and less picky on ammo choice. I have owned two SSG3000 and two TRG22 so the sample size is small. Nevertheless I suspect SSG3000's locking system helps, since the bolt is locked directly into the barrel.

My $0.02.

I have had both rifles, and liked SSG 3000 better.

One advantage is the quick barrel change system with SSG3000. The second is that SSG3000's action length allowed me to shoot 6.5x55 caliber, which I enjoy more than other 6.5mm cartridges. The third reason is that in my experience, SSG3000's factory barrels (7.62x51) were slightly more accurate than TRG22's and less picky on ammo choice. I have owned two SSG3000 and two TRG22 so the sample size is small. Nevertheless I suspect SSG3000's locking system helps, since the bolt is locked directly into the barrel.

My $0.02.

Thank you, really appreciate the input. I’m drawn to being able to shoot 6.5x55; I have a penchant for older military calibres that still work!

Reactions: yej0001
The str 200 is produced in a "phoenix" version now.

With a nifty chassis from LRD Sweden.
You can buy the chassis as jet-01 from them as well.

The main drawback of the str200 is the lack of high capacity magazines.

The str 200 is produced in a "phoenix" version now.

With a nifty chassis from LRD Sweden.
You can buy the chassis as jet-01 from them as well.

The main drawback of the str200 is the lack of high capacity magazines.

I had seen the Jet-01 chassis. Does anyone on here have any experience of it? Or of the Vision chassis, other than @Redmist ?

How about the Accurate Mag 10rd magazines? I’ve heard mixed reports…

I had seen the Jet-01 chassis. Does anyone on here have any experience of it? Or of the Vision chassis, other than @Redmist ?

10 rd mags are a problem with 6.5x55 since they are quite tapered (more so than 308 for example). The factory 5 round mags handle 6,5x55, 308, 6xc and modified 30-06, 7x64, 7,5x55, 270, 280 and a few others...

SSG 3000 - one of the most versatile systems around

True dilemma to part company with it

I got to handle a Jet-01 from the first production batch when I was at a competition in Norway. It gave some mixed impressions, there are some nice details and quality machinework through out. But there are also some design details that I dont like or was not too impressed with. My main issues with it are the way the cheekpiece adjusts and is held into place and most of all the folding hinge wich has a very minimalistic lock pin and it looked flimsy to say the least. I have been told that the hinge has been beefed up on later batches and I have never heard of anyone having issues with it. So it might not be an issue at all. They have sold more than a few chassis so issues should have shown up by now.
Last but not least, the LOP lenght of it is pretty short, even at its longest setting, this would not be an issue for me, but if you usually runt it long, you might need to make some extra spacers.

I have yet to handle a Vision chassis, but a friend of mine who is a weapons tech handled one and he was very impressed with it. So I believe his judgement on it. To me it looks like a very rugged and well thought out design.

I got to handle a Jet-01 from the first production batch when I was at a competition in Norway. It gave some mixed impressions, there are some nice details and quality machinework through out. But there are also some design details that I dont like or was not too impressed with. My main issues with it are the way the cheekpiece adjusts and is held into place and most of all the folding hinge wich has a very minimalistic lock pin and it looked flimsy to say the least. I have been told that the hinge has been beefed up on later batches and I have never heard of anyone having issues with it. So it might not be an issue at all. They have sold more than a few chassis so issues should have shown up by now.
Last but not least, the LOP lenght of it is pretty short, even at its longest setting, this would not be an issue for me, but if you usually runt it long, you might need to make some extra spacers.

I have yet to handle a Vision chassis, but a friend of mine who is a weapons tech handled one and he was very impressed with it. So I believe his judgement on it. To me it looks like a very rugged and well thought out design.

Thank you! I’ll be seeing a Vision chassis next week which will be good.

Would you recommend any Scandinavian forums to join for SSG 3000 / STR 200 accessories?

Thank you! I’ll be seeing a Vision chassis next week which will be good.

Would you recommend any Scandinavian forums to join for SSG 3000 / STR 200 accessories?
The issue with that is that it might not be easy at all to send things across the Atlantic. Do to laws and regulations and customs agents that have no idea. about either. The biggest hunting/shooting forum in Sweden is Robsoft: https://forum.robsoft.nu/index.php

This is all excellent info. Thx to those contributing!
Query for those familiar with the Jet-01 chassis.
LRD states the SSG/STR barrel change can be done without de-mounting the action/chassis.
I see the 3x screw hole access In the chassis.
Question is how do they accomplish removing the barrel keyway tab?

The issue with that is that it might not be easy at all to send things across the Atlantic. Do to laws and regulations and customs agents that have no idea. about either. The biggest hunting/shooting forum in Sweden is Robsoft: https://forum.robsoft.nu/index.php

Thanks! I’m in the UK so hopefully sending things might not be too hard, even after Brexit!

This is all excellent info. Thx to those contributing!
Query for those familiar with the Jet-01 chassis.
LRD states the SSG/STR barrel change can be done without de-mounting the action/chassis.
I see the 3x screw hole access In the chassis.
Question is how do they accomplish removing the barrel keyway tab?

While I have not done it, my best guess would be that there is enough room for the keyway tab to fall down into the chassis when the crossbolt is removed, then you can pull out the barrel without issue. This is pretty much how it was done in the GRS Bolthorn for the STR/SSG3000.

The Bolthorn also had the 3 holes on the side of it. Here is what mine looked like a few years ago:
1635505664168.png

Last edited:
Own both. I have the U.S. version of the SSG, which comes with a meh stock, not the better McMillan stock that the European version comes with. The U.S. version was a steal. Think I paid about $1,350 for mine. Shoots lights out. Basically 1/2 MOA with FGMM ammo. Adjustable trigger that you can really get the pull weight down on.

Paid nearly twice as much for the TRG and then upgraded the stock. So a bunch more money into it. I prefer shooting the TRG because of the stock and I would say the action cycles a little smoother. Triggers are pretty comparable. Accuracy very close, really depends on whether I'm having a good day or not.

IMO the american stock is the better one (have handled the McMillan). Iffy cheek adjustment that fails with enough pressure but still. The aluminium bedding block really stabilizes the system.