• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

San Antonio

Not sure what the new tax code allows, but I believe you have two years to reinvest any profits off the sale of real estate and not claim the capital gain on your tax filing. Believe there’s also a one-time exemption on the sale of a primary residence/home as an individual, and/or if you file as a couple. Will ask my accountant when she gets up in a couple hours!

Now’s a good time to be debt free though, and invest any windfalls into precious metals like physical gold, silver…brass, and lead. ;-)

This is not legal or financial advice, please consult a tax professional! LoL
I'd disagree with the gold. I've owned it and never realized any profit...jsut broke evern.

If it were me, especially for a longer term investment, I'd choose well situated undeveloped land with a lot of WATER and all rights.

Surprised no one has gotte this one up yet...

Fun fact: The term Maverick originated in San Antonio.

My great aunt by marriage was a Maverick. The Mavericks were in San Antonio since Texas was a Republic and their cattle roamed the free range surrounding the town. Only problem is, they never branded them and their new calves every year like other cattlemen. When it came branding time and a cowman came across an unbranded cow and calf, hey, free cattle! The phrase 'it's a Maverick' first meant it had no ties and didn't belong to anyone.

Last edited:
Fun fact: The term Maverick originated in San Antonio.

My great aunt by marriage was a Maverick. The Mavericks were in San Antonio since Texas was a Republic and their cattle roamed the free range surrounding the town. Only problem is, they never branded them and their new calves every year like other cattlemen. When it came branding time and a cowman came across an unbranded cow and calf, hey, free cattle! The phrase, it's a Maverick first meant it had no ties and didn't belong to anyone.
Cool story.

Thanks a ton for looking into that. I believe you are correct.

My wife and I went full Dave Ramsey a couple years ago and paid off all our consumer debt. We just have a mortgage now (which we were trying to pay down). I am so glad we did. It has given us so much financial security and freedom.

you can exempt $250K every two years ($500K if filing as a couple) of capital gains on the sale of a home as long as it was your primary residence….i.e. you can prove you lived in it the majority of the time you owned it, or at least for the period claiming the exemption. Big thing is that you can only claim one home as an exemption at a time.

Reactions: Desert_Racer
Lackland, Randolph, Fort Sam, Bullis? That may factor in housing location choices. Property taxes are stupid expensive if you are looking to buy. I would not buy anything in Bexar or Travis Counties. It's a military town, and you will find people to help you feel welcome. We have lots of friends out there and they seem to like the hill country areas, despite the taxes.

If & when you do move to San Antonio, be sure to call any convenience store an "Ice house". It's a San Antonio thing carried up from the old days when you bought your ice for your "ice box" from an ice house that later carried food, drinks, gas, kerosene...

If you hear someone say it, you'll know they are a native.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
If & when you do move to San Antonio, be sure to call any convenience store an "Ice house". It's a San Antonio thing carried up from the old days when you bought your ice for your "ice box" from an ice house that later carried food, drinks, gas, kerosene...

Spent +/- 20 years, but not a native. I do remember $.0015 gas in Corpus circa 1969. And the hurricane that blew the city away.

No, seriously Maggot, I bet you've heard people call it an 'ice house' when in SA.

Parents had friends from San Antonio that would later come to Austin to visit and ask where the nearest 'ice house' was. It would take me me back to the first grade and memories of me trying to dart across Broadway to the 'ice house' without being turned into a speed bump.

• Haha
Spent +/- 20 years, but not a native. I do remember $.0015 gas in Corpus circa 1969. And the hurricane that blew the city away.
My old buddy Chip McCormick was from Corpus and his family lived through that hurricane. He said his whole block was pretty much wiped away except for their house.

He said he ran in to look for their dog and found him leaning against an upstairs wall with it's eyes shut while the wall heaved back and forth.

No, seriously Maggot, I bet you've heard people call it an 'ice house' when in SA.

Parents had friends from San Antonio that would later come to Austin to visit and ask where the nearest 'ice house' was. It would take me me back to the first grade and memories of me trying to dart across Broadway to the 'ice house' without being turned into a speed bump.
Years ago, yep. Having spent the time in Tejas, I enjoy your stories, youve got a lot of cool trivia knowledge.

My old buddy Chip McCormick was from Corpus and his family lived through that hurricane. He said his whole block was pretty much wiped away except for their house.

He said he ran in to look for their dog and found him leaning against an upstairs wall with it's eyes shut while the wall heaved back and forth.
I lived in the upstairs of an old wood frame apt. Somehow we survived though pretty much everything around us was gone. It did drop the shed on my volkswagon.

I wish I could trade it for some useful stuff :LOL:
Seriously, you should consider compiling all that trivia into a book. Better than humping rock and I'[ll bet marketed through someone like Texas Monthly you'd sell a lot.

Reactions: TexPatriot
I'd disagree with the gold. I've owned it and never realized any profit...jsut broke evern.
It's supposed to be a long term preservation of wealth. Not a profit investment.
With $8T US debt rolling over in the next 12 months, now seems like a good time to hedge against accelerating US debt and interest expenses.

It's supposed to be a long term preservation of wealth. Not a profit investment.
With $8T US debt rolling over in the next 12 months, now seems like a good time to hedge against accelerating US debt and interest expenses.
I know, but I'd prefer something that will bring me profit....like land wit water. They're not making any more of that, water is a critical resource, so its got to go up, likely rapidly.

Reactions: NoDopes
Anywhere close to town that you can shoot 1000+ yards? Trying to decide if I'm going to keep my MK13 or not.

Anywhere close to town that you can shoot 1000+ yards? Trying to decide if I'm going to keep my MK13 or not.
I don't know. What I do know is a colleague went to Mayfield Ranch near Christoval (about 3 hours from San Antonio and south of San Angelo) and got an Aoudad Sheep.

Edited to update the time.

Also, here is the Aoudad trophy (on the left.)

1701631616840.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert_Racer
Rifles Only.Depending n where you are in SA, a couple hours

riflesonly.comRifles Only, Inc

Rifles Only is an elite firearms training facility located in Kingsville, Texas. Our company has been conducting firearms training for over two decades. We offer courses in handgun, carbine, precision rifle, field craft, helicopter platform, and various other skill sets to include field medicine.

1701570138587.png

Did you check out this course? I wonder if we'll be shooting at Frank

LOW LIGHT SHOOTING AREA​

LOW LIGHT SHOOTING AREA
Low light range
I have relatives in Mathis, I could stay there.

Do they have an Old Fart with Bad Knee Shooting Area?

Come to Ohio,

weather's only slightly shitty, girls are mediocre and you can fuck your cousin without it being too weird.

We are 2A friendly, also offer $30 half and halfs from the crack head hookers...watch out for the snaggle tooth, it'll slice your dick like a gorilla peeling a 🍌 🍌.

Looks like the Air Force has seen fit to ass fuck me one last time before I retire and send me to San Antonio.

For those of you who live there or are familiar with the area:

- Where are the best schools?

- What areas am I least likely to have a Mexican break in my house and steal all my shit, or have a Sudanese Muslim neighbor living in a house paid for by the Biden Administration?
I ran in race in New Braunfels during their Wurstfest. Made the mistake of hydrating with mass amounts of Beer the night before the race. 🥴 I remember post race they gave us a Beer mug and a Bratwurst wrapped in a soft tortilla. Ran the 5 miler with a bad hangover, way to hot temps. Remember seeing a beautiful swimming pool at a park …think it was named Landa Park ? Anyway the pool was closed 👎
Short time in San Antonio …wasn’t impressed…New Braunfels was cool , people were really friendly. 🍻

Reactions: 91Eunozs
I ran in race in New Braunfels during their Wurstfest. Made the mistake of hydrating with mass amounts of Beer the night before the race. 🥴 I remember post race they gave us a Beer mug and a Bratwurst wrapped in a soft tortilla. Ran the 5 miler with a bad hangover, way to hot temps. Remember seeing a beautiful swimming pool at a park …think it was named Landa Park ? Anyway the pool was closed 👎
Short time in San Antonio …wasn’t impressed…New Braunfels was cool , people were really friendly. 🍻
New Braunfels at least has Schlitterbahn Water Park which if you have several kids you cant afford and if you can afford it its worse than Dizzyland for wait times.

www.schlitterbahn.com

Visit Schlitterbahn Waterpark - New Braunfels Waterpark​

Water Slides, Wave Pools, Lazy Rivers & More Fun For Everyone! Buy A Season Pass Today. Your Pass To Unlimited Waterpark Fun In 2024. Gift A Schlitterbahn 2024 Season Pass Today!
2024 Season Pass - $99.00 - View more items

Reactions: Sandhog308
New Braunfels at least has Schlitterbahn Water Park which if you have several kids you cant afford and if you can afford it its worse than Dizzyland for wait times.

www.schlitterbahn.com

Visit Schlitterbahn Waterpark - New Braunfels Waterpark

Water Slides, Wave Pools, Lazy Rivers & More Fun For Everyone! Buy A Season Pass Today. Your Pass To Unlimited Waterpark Fun In 2024. Gift A Schlitterbahn 2024 Season Pass Today!
2024 Season Pass - $99.00 - View more items
I wanted to hop the fence for a much needed swim/ cool down at the park .. For free !
Don‘t understand the lockdown?

• Haha
San Antonio city government, that close to the border, is what you would imagine, corrupt as fuck.

I was going to bid on a city construction project but first wanted to talk to the engineer that made the drawings, as I had some questions. When I went into the office there was the engineer who looked like a fat Edward James Olmos with gold teeth and breath that stunk like a bacteria lab culture. He even had on the cardigan sweater.

I told him what I was there for, unrolled his drawings on a desk and he didn't even want to look at them, much less talk to me. His expression and attitude was downright hostile, like who TF did I think I was, and outsider and worse, a gringo, bidding on his project.

He finally said in an accent that showed English wasn't his first language "You have concrete guy?" automatically assuming my concrete guy was Mexican. I said the affirnative and he responded "Have concrete guy call me." I should have had an Anglo buddy call him posing as my concrete guy.
Of course you know what Bill Travis said to Dave Crocket when he saw all the Messkins headed toward the Alamo...LOL

I went all through this thread and couldnt find any references to out door places to shoot near SA. Ill be visiting an old friend on my way to RO and it would be nice to launch some pellets.

I went all through this thread and couldnt find any references to out door places to shoot near SA. Ill be visiting an old friend on my way to RO and it would be nice to launch some pellets.
They're there. Helotes had a kickass range where you could shoot FA.

Maggot, I've been looking but can't find a link so I think it may have gone with all the other good ranges, shutdown due to developement.

I remember Helotes, TX. was synonymous with a range that you could shoot the cool stuff.
I've never shot in San Antonio but I know there were carbine courses and matches posted that were held down there in the outskirts such as Bulverde.

Bracken has an outdoor range because I can hear them shooting from my gf's house off Bat Cave Rd.

I'm going to keep looking.

Maggot, I've been looking but can't find a link so I think it may have gone with all the other good ranges, shutdown due to developement.

I remember Helotes, TX. was synonymous with a range that you could shoot the cool stuff.
I've never shot in San Antonio but I know there were carbine courses and matches posted that were held down there in the outskirts such as Bulverde.

Bracken has an outdoor range because I can hear them shooting from my gf's house off Bat Cave Rd.

I'm going to keep looking.
I found this one, looks promising.

1702147200542.png

My best friend just moved down to that are but they chose to live outside of SA almost in Comal County off of SH 281. He moved down there because his son works down there. I hope living outside the SA city limits works for him.

My oldest sister went through her OBC at Ft. Sam Houston and she and her husband rented an apartment. It got broken into and they had guns and jewelry stolen. That was fifty years ago and I doubt that SA has gotten better.

Any time I go to South Texas to hunt I give the Austin-SA corridor a wide bearth.

My best friend just moved down to that are but they chose to live outside of SA almost in Comal County off of SH 281. He moved down there because his son works down there. I hope living outside the SA city limits works for him.

My oldest sister went through her OBC at Ft. Sam Houston and she and her husband rented an apartment. It got broken into and they had guns and jewelry stolen. That was fifty years ago and I doubt that SA has gotten better.

Any time I go to South Texas to hunt I give the Austin-SA corridor a wide bearth.
Yeah, burglary is not a new trend in San Antonio.

I remember when the World's Fair was held in San Antonio in 1968, friends living there told us you never leave more than a 1/4 tank of gas in your car if left unattended because thieves syphon it out.

Then the locking gas cap was invented as a result, which most people thought was a disgrace, to have to put a lock on your gas tank.

Last edited:
McQueeny gun club also has FA firearms to rent/shoot. I’m still a member there, even though I’ve not been for almost a year. No time, especially now that we moved even further North of New Braunfels