Suppressors  Sandman S or L for AR?

Arc Light

Sheeple Herder
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2012
In the mountains
Looking at purchasing my first can. It will be used exclusively on my AR platform rifles. I want the quietest can at the ears. Not too worried about weight. I know the Sandman L is quieter by the numbers, but does that hold true on an AR? I’ve read where some say the Sandman S is actually quieter at the ear on an AR. What do you guys think?

Reactions: kocustoms

John Burns

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2011
Wyoming
www.greybullprecision.com
Looking at purchasing my first can. It will be used exclusively on my AR platform rifles. I want the quietest can at the ears. Not too worried about weight. I know the Sandman L is quieter by the numbers, but does that hold true on an AR? I’ve read where some say the Sandman S is actually quieter at the ear on an AR. What do you guys think?

What AR?

Typically shorter cans work better on gas guns due to less port pop at the shooters ear.

There is the additional advantage of running cleaner with the shorter cans.

Sound reduction at the muzzle is not always or even usually the same at the shooters ear when dealing with gas guns.

Reactions: Arc Light

Cheeseburger1976

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2012
Zionsville PA
I LOVE my sandman L for my precision bolt gun. But I personally wouldn’t on the AR, way too long. If anything do the S, I actually have a YHM turbo on my AR and it is an amazing can with awesome suppression. AND it was less than 400

Reactions: Arc Light

MudRunner2005

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2013
Alabama
Old thread, but not many newer threads about the Sandman-S...

I made a quick video yesterday with my Sandman-S on my 16" .300 BLK and 24" 6.5 Grendel AR's...

Sorry for the background noise, it's a private range, and it's normally very quiet, but there happened to be a few people there yesterday. Go figure...The day I try to make a video to show how quiet it is. 🙄

MudRunner2005

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2013
Alabama
Just bought a 2nd Sandman-S...

Silencer Shop just got in a batch of the FDE Mil-Contract Sandman-S cans... It's basically a regular Sandman-S, but in FDE finish that were built for DEVGRU (Seal Team 6) to test and run on their rifles, and the serial numbers say "SMS-MIL-XXXX" , so they might be a novelty/collectors item down the road. Same price as a regular Sandman-S, just a few cool little features, and makes for a conversation piece since they are very limited in production.

Last edited:

themightytimmah

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2010
New Orleans, LA
I’d go S or Nomad. There’s huge diminishing returns on an AR with the L, as the port pop is about as loud as the muzzle, even with an adjustable gas block. It is spooky quiet on bolt guns, though.

The AR really sucks to shoot offhand with the Sandman L. I have a Sandman K, which I bought because it was $350 less than the S at the time with the HPA promotion. At today’s pricing, I’d never take it over an S or a Nomad.

I cannot overstate how overbuilt the sandman cans are. They will take a short barreled belt fed MG in 7.62. If you mostly shoot precision and aren’t into suppressed mag dumps, a Nomad gets you more suppression than the S at about the same weight.

Smokin7s

Spooky Thicc
Supporter
PX Member
PX Member
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2020
Oklahoma
If you’re running it on ar’s get the s it’s a little shorter which is optimal on an AR and not noticeably louder than the L. The K I was ever around was not quiet enough for my liking but good if you’re straight up tac team probably. I’d go for the S.

MudRunner2005

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2013
Alabama
If you’re running it on ar’s get the s it’s a little shorter which is optimal on an AR and not noticeably louder than the L. The K I was ever around was not quiet enough for my liking but good if you’re straight up tac team probably. I’d go for the S.
I was impressed with the sound quality and suppression of the Sandman-S on my AR's. Which is why I got a 2nd one. Had it not been impressive, I wouldn't have gotten the new one tonight, simply because it was FDE or MIL contract overrun. Yes, it has a certain novelty to it, but at the same time, I'm not into wasting $1,100 (total with stamp & local tax & trust) on something that is just "so-so" or average, just because it's "cool"...This isn't high school or a popularity contest. These are tools, and you want your tools to function at peak performance.

I have been VERY impressed with the Sandman-S on all of my AR's especially supersonic 5.56 and I was really impressed with how well it suppresses the subsonic .300 BLK. I know that's not really a hard thing to do for a purpose-built subsonic cartridge, but for a very thick, heavy, and robust 6.8" can (including the KeyMo mount) to make an AR (including the port noise) sound like a modern high-powered air rifle, that's just damn-impressive.

For the AR' the best mix of length and suppression with the Sandman-S...I wouldn't have just bought a 2nd one, otherwise. 👍🏼

I will say this, the SMS is just "ok" on bolt-actions. It's not the best can I've shot through on a bolt-action centerfire. But it does enough to mitigate hearing damage when I have it on my .260 Rem. It is a bit restrictive and does overpressure my loads that are not normally overpressure when unsuppressed. I have not tried this experiment with my Nomad-LT as my stamps have not come back in yet, so I cannot test to see if it's the internal volume of the SMS being restrictive, or just the gun being suppressed in general, that is causing this. Being a bolt-action, I would not imagine this should be happening to this level. Even my lighter loads are showing ejector swipes. Anyone else experienced this with a bolt-action suppressed and supersonic loads?

Smokin7s

Spooky Thicc
Supporter
PX Member
PX Member
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2020
Oklahoma
I was impressed with the sound quality and suppression of the Sandman-S on my AR's. Which is why I got a 2nd one. Had it not been impressive, I wouldn't have gotten the new one tonight, simply because it was FDE or MIL contract overrun. Yes, it has a certain novelty to it, but at the same time, I'm not into wasting $1,100 (total with stamp & local tax & trust) on something that is just "so-so" or average, just because it's "cool"...This isn't high school or a popularity contest. These are tools, and you want your tools to function at peak performance.

I have been VERY impressed with the Sandman-S on all of my AR's especially supersonic 5.56 and I was really impressed with how well it suppresses the subsonic .300 BLK. I know that's not really a hard thing to do for a purpose-built subsonic cartridge, but for a very thick, heavy, and robust 6.8" can (including the KeyMo mount) to make an AR (including the port noise) sound like a modern high-powered air rifle, that's just damn-impressive.

For the AR' the best mix of length and suppression with the Sandman-S...I wouldn't have just bought a 2nd one, otherwise. 👍🏼

I will say this, the SMS is just "ok" on bolt-actions. It's not the best can I've shot through on a bolt-action centerfire. But it does enough to mitigate hearing damage when I have it on my .260 Rem. It is a bit restrictive and does overpressure my loads that are not normally overpressure when unsuppressed. I have not tried this experiment with my Nomad-LT as my stamps have not come back in yet, so I cannot test to see if it's the internal volume of the SMS being restrictive, or just the gun being suppressed in general, that is causing this. Being a bolt-action, I would not imagine this should be happening to this level. Even my lighter loads are showing ejector swipes. Anyone else experienced this with a bolt-action suppressed and supersonic loads?
I said the s was quiet and recommended it lol chill