• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors SAS still in buisness?

Jon Lester

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2004
Tazewell . Virginia
Anyone heard from them? Are they still in buisness?
Calls yield nothing, I picked up a Certificate from an ASC prize table in the Spring and finaly spoke with someone in the July-Aug time frame. Dealer has had Paperwork since the end of Sept. and has no can info to send it off. he is having contact trouble as well.
If it came today, with the 3 month wait,I will be over 1 year.

Re: SAS still in buisness?

A friend and I bought SAS suppressors at the same time, in August. I bought one from SoTexHunter and he bought his directly from Tim. My Form 4 cleared November, he's still waiting on his form 3.

Something ain't right there...

I'm also trying to get in touch with Tim. I've got a couple emails into him. If I hear anything, I'll let you know. I've got a QD can that is at my class 3 now but Tim did not send the QD brake. It won't do me much good if I cannot attach it to my rifle. Hopefully it will get sorted out. I have about 3 months until my form 4 is approved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend and I bought SAS suppressors at the same time, in August. I bought one from SoTexHunter and he bought his directly from Tim. My Form 4 cleared November, he's still waiting on his form 3.

Something ain't right there... </div></div>

I didnt start this thread but as I have been getting e-mails/PM's from members who saw my post with dopes for the AE "covert", who purchased a gun and haven't gotten a can yet after 6-7 months like me, I will share what I know.

These are the guys who are making the cans for the "covert" we are told.
I have tried 5-6 times to reach SAS, left messages and sent emails thru their web site. No one has contacted me back.

These cans are way behind as they were being sold back in Late May. See post from "Mile High Shooting"

AINA will not release info as to when the cans began life.
I have asked AINA and Stacey these questions 3 times with no answer to them
1) What date did the Form 2 from SAS to NFA get sent in
2) What date did the Form 3 from SAS to AINA get sent in
3) What date did the Form 3 from AINA to the customers SOT get sent in

I have talked to Randy at Mile High, he said ,he has no answer from AINA or SAS other than "waiting for paperwork".

You are definitly correct about something aint right.... is SAS holding up the show or out of bussiness or....???
Why are these dates so "secretive"...???? What has been approved by NFA at this time???

Jon, I tried to pm you but your box is full. Contact Stacey Blankenship. He just called me and he is the best way to get in contact with Tim to get things worked out. If you need Stacey's phone number, drop me a pm. Sean

Yes SAS is still in business, yes he has moved and yes he is hard to get in touch with since he is a one man band BUSY BUSY BUSY, I assure you.

As for releasing and passing along dates, serial #'s or anything else or further information, not until items are placed on the proper work orders in the order they are received and complete processing can be completed.

"subgunr", I have answered your questions, not with the answers you wanted obviously but your work order is here, on hold till your suppressor is received and processed through. The order was placed on the schedule in July true, the barrel and muzzle brake was received in November, your weapon arrived @ AINA for barrel installation mid November, shipped out Dec 8th, and your can is still not ready to complete at this time. I have and will continue to update you when items are ready.

Gee, that makes me feel a whole lot better. I have two SAS cans and love them, but this is not good.

I have been waiting on form 3 transfer for quite some time from SAS to my dealer here in Vegas. I emailed Tim this morning at 9am and he emailed me back by 1030am. Apparently he is having a hard time with his examiner (Snook) and there is a team going through her stuff as she is having another examiner take over.

I think Tim is doing everything he can as he is a one man show that is successful, and is also getting the shaft from the ATF currently.

I visit Tim often. I can assure you that he is working hard on getting these cans completed. The B.A.T.F.E is really screwing his paperwork up. The move has also created some problems. I know a lot of you have been waiting as well as I, but it's not Tim's fault.

Ive been told by another source they are being purposely held up by the ATF in regards to their move. But 6-7 months for a can to be delivered to the initial dealer is absurd! Do they not consider that the customer still have to wait for the transfer from Mile High to our local dealer THEN to us?

If it continues to take this long I will ask for my money to be returned for the suppressor and I will simply rebarrel my AE to something more common. I don't like being mislead especially when my money is involved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onechance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I visit Tim often. I can assure you that he is working hard on getting these cans completed. The B.A.T.F.E is really screwing his paperwork up. The move has also created some problems. I know a lot of you have been waiting as well as I, but it's not Tim's fault. </div></div>

As you state, "he is working hard on getting these cans completed", that sounds to me like they are not manufactured yet and ATF has nothing to do with it.
.... and you see him often, maybe Tim would like to share the dates in question.

Form 2's to NFA
Form 3's to AINA

The dates on the forms will "tell the tail" as to what was done when the orders were received in June by AINA.
The lack of complete and concise information is what is alarming,especially when folks have paid for these items.

It is a usual method of business to provide due dates, as was done by Mile High and AINA, but when those due dates are not met one would expect a concise explanation as to the delay.

Let me be clear ! I have no dislike for Stacey,AINA, Mil High or Tim for that matter. I only am asking for a timeline, with dates, as to how my order was processed and what exactly is the holdup. I believe this request is resonable and customary and is in no way out of line.

Stacey I agree with your timeline for my order, but except for the date of the order in June being received by AINA, the rest is largly irrelevant to the issue at hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been told by another source they are being purposely held up by the ATF in regards to their move. But 6-7 months for a can to be delivered to the initial dealer is absurd! Do they not consider that the customer still have to wait for the transfer from Mile High to our local dealer THEN to us?

If it continues to take this long I will ask for my money to be returned for the suppressor and I will simply rebarrel my AE to something more common. I don't like being mislead especially when my money is involved. </div></div>

Again, this could all be put aside with the dates and documentation for the forms to ATF being provided.

Read above... there dealer cant even get in touch with them ( 762frmafr stated this)

I think it should be customary that when Class 3 items are in question and we are at the mercy of the manufacturer and dealers, being we have paid for them in full in advance.... we should be given the timeline of when we can be expecting them. ESPECIALLY when your dealer does his work all on his own and needs to know when to expect the item.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend and I bought SAS suppressors at the same time, in August. I bought one from SoTexHunter and he bought his directly from Tim. My Form 4 cleared November, he's still waiting on his form 3.

Something ain't right there... </div></div>
I am BM11's friend , I have been wating for some time on my form 3 to clear. It was started in August and has not cleared yet. I have been in e-mail contact w/ Tim several times ad he has been very helpful. My form 3 was approved a few months ago but it was sent to the class 3 dealer here in Maine and not to SAS. I finaly located it and the dealer faxed a coppy to Tim who then realised the ATF had some how messed the paperwork up. This was at the end of the year and it all had to start over AGAN! However Tim has been able to keep me up to speed and considering how busy he is I have to say I am still happy with his service (that is unless he is pissing down my back and telling me its raining , which I dont think he is). So yep they are still in busness , and I do beleve that Tim is doing his best. Be patient , and good luck.

I don't know whats going on there either. I talked to Tim several times in October and ordered an Arbiter. He impressed me as a hard working, squared away guy. He explained that he was moving but to send payment to his old address listed on his website,I mailed my payment and he was to let me know when he received the payment. Two weeks later (one e-mail and two voice mails) no response. At about one month my envelope containing my order and check was returned to me by USPS stamped undeliverable and unable to forward! I was dissapointed but thankful to not be out my $. I have moved on to another can.

For one of the guys in the know, can you tell me when my dealer can expect something from him on the "prize table" can he donated a year ago? It would be nice to know when the 3 month wait for the Gov. starts. I would consider a purchase somewhere else if I have to. I would just like to know something that is near the truth.

Being one of the first to commit to this Covert build I have to say this talk of the cans not even being done yet is disturbing to say the least. I was assuming that the cans would be ready to start the transfer process when the rifles were ready especially since the 60 day timeframe quoted in the original post came and went long ago. I will say that I don't think that Randy and Diann knew this was going to play out like it has. They have been good to me and I think in the long run they will make it all right but geez what a nightmare that will be!!! Hopefully we can get some type of true timeline soon. Also hoping we havent purchased a cool 16" rifle with a fancy QD muzzle brake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we should be given the timeline of when we can be expecting them.</div></div>
That's why we offer online tracking of Form 2/3/4 dates/status.
wink.gif

I too have a can on order and have for quite some time. FWIW, my dealer and Tim have both told me that BATFE had screwed the paperwork up and that is what is taking extra time. Tim had an assistant at one time, but he informed me she is no longer helping him.

I also sent a barreled action to him for threading and purchased some QD mounts after purchasing the can. I was getting worried too, but my barreled action and mounts showed up just the other day.

They've not gotten back to me, either. I was all set to pick one up, and I still might, but this lack of communication has motivated me to go back to the drawing board...

Bob

Just a heads up, Tim received 23 form 3's today. These were all dated on the 13th of this month for approval. When you visit or talk with your dealer, ask if you can see the date it was received and the date it was approved. I seen some dating back to July of last year. For those that felt that Tim might be screwing them over or around, please take note of the dates.

As for the gentleman that received the free can, your paperwork is in. Now, maybe you can see how screwed up the B.A.T.F.E is and start pointing fingers elesewhere.

I hope this has put some of you at ease.

Stacey, would you mind asking him about the flash hider mount for me again? I still haven't seen it. I can PM you the details again if you need them.

Thanks,

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onechance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a heads up, Tim received 23 form 3's today. These were all dated on the 13th of this month for approval. When you visit or talk with your dealer, ask if you can see the date it was received and the date it was approved. I seen some dating back to July of last year. For those that felt that Tim might be screwing them over or around, please take note of the dates.

<span style="color: #FF0000">As for the gentleman that received the free can, your paperwork is in. Now, maybe you can see how screwed up the B.A.T.F.E is and start pointing fingers elesewhere. </span>
I hope this has put some of you at ease. </div></div>

Sir as I think you are referring to me so I would like to clear up one thing: I pointed the finger at know one I simply ask if this company was still in buisness as I had heard from several members of the community that contact was impossible.
I myself had found the same to be true as I started the contact process nearly a year ago. I had spoken to a lady at the posted # so many times that she knew my voice over the phone,and while she was very apologetic, she could offer no help to get the selection process started. Initially I just wanted to thank the man for the prize personally. The non contact went back further as I have bought 2 Cans directly from SAS and a quick search of my posts will reveal I shouted praises from the rafters for a couple years, until I need another bushing made and could not make any contact to even get the thread dimensions.
If you look this entire thread over you will see that people aren't complaining about the products, they just want to know what is going on, in an already lengthy process no customer contact is unnerving and often a dealbreaker.

I still love all my SAS products but if I own another it will be from a stocking dealer somewhere.
Thank you onechance for the update but the fact that someone on an internet forum informed us speaks volumes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onechance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a heads up, Tim received 23 form 3's today. These were all dated on the 13th of this month for approval. When you visit or talk with your dealer, ask if you can see the date it was received and the date it was approved. I seen some dating back to July of last year. For those that felt that Tim might be screwing them over or around, please take note of the dates.

As for the gentleman that received the free can, your paperwork is in. Now, maybe you can see how screwed up the B.A.T.F.E is and start pointing fingers elesewhere.

Great news!! Hoping the Coverts are in that group.

Two points:

As brought up above by J Lester, the fact that SAS or AINA is not giving updates but a "third party" is, does speak volumes as to the customer service.
But thanks oneshot for some info !!!! I would be amazed if SAS or AINA shows any enduser those forms,as the dates have been asked for numerious times, and as you know those Forms would travel no further in the process, as new Forms are generated for the next transfer down the line. Once again, concise information with documentation is all that has been asked for as to the reason for the delay.

Chillin, remember that if the covert Form 3's are approved at SAS, that still means AINA has to fill out Form 3 to Mil High( unless the paper work went directly from SAS to Mil High) which Stacey has indicated in his previous communication is not the case.. If you dont live in Mile Highs area , then they will have to fill out another Form 3 to transfer it to you local dealer....at this point you still maybe 2 Form 3's away from seeing it. And a Form 4 to posses it,if your a non SOT holder.

I believe some of the Coverts are indeed in the stack. I hope you guys enjoy them. If I can help just drop me a PM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subgunr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two points:

As brought up above by J Lester, the fact that SAS or AINA is not giving updates but a "third party" is, does speak volumes as to the customer service.
But thanks oneshot for some info !!!! I would be amazed if SAS or AINA shows any enduser those forms,as the dates have been asked for numerious times, and as you know those Forms would travel no further in the process, as new Forms are generated for the next transfer down the line. Once again, concise information with documentation is all that has been asked for as to the reason for the delay.

Chillin, remember that if the covert Form 3's are approved at SAS, that still means AINA has to fill out Form 3 to Mil High( unless the paper work went directly from SAS to Mil High) which Stacey has indicated in his previous communication is not the case.. If you dont live in Mile Highs area , then they will have to fill out another Form 3 to transfer it to you local dealer....at this point you still maybe 2 Form 3's away from seeing it. And a Form 4 to posses it,if your a non SOT holder.

</div></div>

Yes it would be great if SAS could ship direct to each buyers SOT instead of all the transfers in between. Is there a particular reason this can't happen? Anybody know?

I have some QD brakes for the 30 cal (5/8x24) and .223 (1/2x28) suppressors. Some of the .30 cal brakes are threaded 1/2x28 for use on AR's. I also have the install or removal tools.

I recieved an E mail today directly from Tim stating the same facts as Onechance stated.

The Communication was greatly appreciated.

After some more research into the "covert" can issue.
I am starting to fully believe that SAS has "not" been the hold up on the manufacturing end, nor has the issue fallen soley on NFA.

I am begining to think there is a "middle man" issue as they are the ones not suppling concise information.

Are the cans being transfered from SAS to AINA corp. or Stacey Blankenship personally ?
Who actually owns the "rights/exclusivity" if you will to the Suppresed barrel assembly ?

still diging....

I stopped by the AI table to talk with someone about the "Covert" rifle, but Stacey and Scott would not give me the time of day. I also noticed that the suppressor that was on the Covert, was covered up with a Tab cover. I had several people inform me that Stacey was hiding due to Tim being at the show. I'm wondering if Mile High has their SOT now. I think that all was going to go through Stacey, therefore; making the transfers a nightmare. Since Tim owns the patent on the suppressor and brake why can't he just send the can and brake to our SOT for quicker service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chillin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subgunr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two points:

</div></div>

Yes it would be great if SAS could ship direct to each buyers SOT instead of all the transfers in between. Is there a particular reason this can't happen? Anybody know?

</div></div>

Since we have already paid for them..... in full. We should now be able to call the manufacturer and say go ahead and transfer my can to MY SOT. This is taking way to long and I am about to ask for a refund on the can and have SAS make me my own....

The lack of comms is BS.

He can receive all the forms back he wants to. He needs to get on here and tell us WHAT IS GOING ON. When you have this many people's money tied up with no answers we have every right to be upset. When I invest in something I want to know where the heck it is and when I will see it. Like others have said, some of us are still 2 or 3 transfers away from getting them. Thats almost a years worth of waiting for ONE suppressor. Thats just absurd. I hope the people involved in getting this rifle off the ground step their game up and tell us what's going on with the suppressors.

I ran into Bill Davidson of Tac Pro at SHOT and he says he has some Covert style barrel and suppressors that Shark is making for him at his shop. That might be the way to go if SAS can not deliver.

[/quote]

Since we have already paid for them..... in full. We should now be able to call the manufacturer and say go ahead and transfer my can to MY SOT. This is taking way to long and I am about to ask for a refund on the can and have SAS make me my own....

The lack of comms is BS. [/quote]

Ask Stacey Blankenship were the 11 covert cans went that transfered to him,personally, back last year in Sept?
Dont worry about your money...they are making intrest on it just fine !

I think since Stacey wanted Tim just to make cans and he would take care of the sales, it should be Stacey letting you know where things are at. I think this item was marketed by AI without much thought regarding transfers. As a SOT holder, I think this process could of been expedited, if Tim would have been allowed to do the transfers to the end user's SOT.

As for the Shark cans, they better not infringe upon Tim's patent. AI does not own the rights to the suppressor or it's locking brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onechance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think since Stacey wanted Tim just to make cans and he would take care of the sales, it should be Stacey letting you know where things are at. I think this item was marketed by AI without much thought regarding transfers. As a SOT holder, I think this process could of been expedited, if Tim would have been allowed to do the transfers to the end user's SOT.

As for the Shark cans, they better not infringe upon Tim's patent. AI does not own the rights to the suppressor or it's locking brake. </div></div>

If shark altered the brake and suppressor it wouldn't matter.....

First of all Suppressed Armament is not even close to going out of business. Anyone who thinks now is the time to try and steal our designs is in for a big surprise. I will vigorously defend any perceived infringement on the patents of SAS-LLC. The QD brake, flash hider, suppressor, and barrel profile are all covered by patents. I have an absolute zero tolerance on any infringement. As these allegations are brought to my attention they will be acted on very quickly.
Last year was a year full of ups and downs. These things are on no concern to the customer. I can take responsibility for some delays in getting the covert orders filled. Most were beyond my control I apologize to all of our customers for being so difficult to reach and for these unexpected delays.
With multiple CNC's running its impossible to hear the phone. I am working on that so be prepared to discuss your order with someone other than the "Owner" .
As anyone following this should know, I was unexpectedly given notice that the old shop was being closed and given 30 days to locate a new spot. From the time I sent in my change of address in October until January 18 I did not receive a form 2, form 3, or form 4 from the NFA branch. The form 3 for John Lesters free suppressor was faxed, faxed, emailed, certified mailed, faxed and emailed. A week before it arrived I was told again that they never received it. And his was not the only one. B&B comes to mind.
I really enjoy talking to most of the people I do business with but if I call every customer once a week to give an update of, "still waiting on atf", I would never be able to make a suppressor.
As I'm sure Sotex (Mark)can confirm I am not the only one with long delays from my old examiner.
It would appear that that problem has been fixed. I have a new examiner and for 2011 the wait time has been and average of 12 days. If it stays like that these problems will not pop up again. That's not to say that everything was an NFA problem.
If you take out the people in this thread that have no vested interest, it gets pretty small pretty quick. J Lester, Jbell, edgewater, red, have all shipped out as of this week. Anyone else please contact me at [email protected] and I will respond within 48 hours. During the move things very easily could have been missed. If you cant get an eta on your order from any dealer let me know. I will do my best to help you out.

Although I missed Stacy at shot this year I never got the impression and never thought he was hiding. Things were very busy for me and the fact we did not get to talk is just as much my fault. I met with Tom and Dave multiple times and that was what I was needing. I would have liked to of had time with Stacey and Scott but time goes quickly.

MILE HIGH !
Let me state as clearly as possible, MHSA has absolutely zero fault in the delays on the coverts. They are of the highest caliber and you should not hold any ill will toward them.
Same with Stacey, he is in the middle of a tough spot. He has been working the candle at both ends on this so cut him some slack. Most transfers go smooth, and some do not. For whatever reason mine have been terrible from July till now. But its looking much better!

Tim Humston
SAS-LLC

I will say that Tim at SAS delivered me one hell of a can. It took a while to get it, but I also bought it at the height of the Obama scare, so I knew a lot of my wait was the on the ATF's side.

No one is more impatient than me, but I choose to do business with folks like Tim. He's a stand up guy who makes a great product. Rather than being so quick to run a company out of business, I choose to throw people like him my support. Nobody's perfect, but his character is top notch, and that's rare these days.

I got a call from Diann at Mile High today. She assured me that the suppressors are coming but in small groups. She expects 2 very soon. They are going to be sent out to SOT's in the order of how we paid in full.

They are coming. Now its a waiting game.

SAS makes a great can. Its one of my favorite 30 cal cans that I own.

Tim, sounds great. I look forward to doing busness with you agan.

Back up for others to get an up date.

Just an update, My can showed up on 02/05. I sent my form 4 packet on the 8th. I hope the form 4 goes better than the form 3.

Just wanted to let any one know who may still be waiting.