• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sat Phone?

viav13

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Montcalm Co. MI
Hey guys,
I was looking into getting a sat phone.

I would like something I could use for emergencies, sailing, working overseas, while I'm hunting. Basically everywhere a normal phone won't.

I know a lot of guys on here have said they use them, but I have never seen any comments on them other than that.

What do you guys use? What are the Pros and Cons?

Tell me about some of your experiences with the different phone brands, types, plans.

Thanks

Re: Sat Phone?

For true worldwide coverage, there is only one name: Iridium. They work absolutely anywhere in the world you have a clear view of the sky, including the poles and oceans. BUT.... you will pay for it as they are also the most expensive service out there. I used a 9505 for quite a while and it worked in some pretty harsh conditions. The 9555 is supposed to be even better, but I haven't had my hands on one yet.

I've never run on them, but those that use Inmarsat BGAN network have very good coverage and are the biggest competitor to Iridium.

There are other carriers that are more regional such as Thuraya that covers Europe and the Middle East/South Asia pretty well and are a lot cheaper, but you lose coverage in North America. Most Americans that run Thuraya lease the phones for the duration of the travel. I used one for a while and the call clarity and signal strength seemed better than the Iridium for Afgh., but it would also fade out faster with poor weather.

Here's a good set of links showing coverage of the different providers: http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/support2.html

Unless you plan on using it for data a basic satphone should suffice, and a lot of dealers sell used models that are in pretty decent condition. They can get pretty expensive when they try to turn them into smartphones, and really it isn't necessary most of the time.

Bottom line is satellite phones are useful when there is absolutely no other alternative, but across the board the clarity sucks, the delay is horrible, and the cost is through the roof. I would have never used one at all if it wasn't provided by my employer and a requirement of my job. I don't like them for actual communications that aren't necessary.

For overseas travel a basic GSM phone with either a roaming sim card or one for that specific area work pretty well and are CHEAP.

For your stated purposes (emergencies), I would actually look at one of the satellite emergency devices such as a SPOT. The cost would be a lot less, durability a lot more, and are also capable of linking up with Delorme GPS units. I personally haven't used one of these yet, but it is on my list of future purchases. http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=30786&section=10741

I've used a few sat phones and they are expensive, but they do work most places. For me most of the time all I need is something that if things go really wrong I can get SAR to me. For that use you don't really need a satellite phone, but if you do Iridium is the standard, but spendy.

I personally like the PLB units for more pure emergency type of use, and the new ones also alert family/etc. you are okay.

Basically they have a built in GPS, about the same size, and they are attached to you and your medical info. If the crap hits the fan, the PLB uses NOAA satellites to relay your position and information to search and rescue, it basically will work anywhere a GPS will, around $400-500 but no subscription fee. ACR electronics seems to be the go to company for these. They used to be ONLY used for big emergencies but the new units have an "I'm okay" msg tied to coordinates if you want to keep family etc. informed. The coverage and signal on these last I checked into it was better than SPOT. Also PLB's are governed by stricter standards and signals go strait to emergency government response agencies. Spot signals go to their private system and then are routed to emergency services. PLB signals also go through military/govt/noaa satellites where SPOT goes through commercial communication satellites. My understanding is the strength of the output signal on a PLB is about 10x as strong as a SPOT, and the PLB also has a second SAR signal that can be used for homing in on you by SAR when they arrive in the area.

I haven't kept up with the SPOT unit because I never liked the idea of buying a $100/yr subscription and the early units didn't have accurate GPS tied to them. Now it seems they have pretty much world wide coverage (aside the poles and part of SE africa, improved GPS accuracy, and they are more flexible in letting your family track your movements, sending more messages etc. However looking at user reviews, they are pretty mixed. A lot of people have had SPOT's fail in normal use and a few in emergency use. PLB's seem to be more robust or at least they seem to work when needed. I know SPOT has had a couple recalls so perhaps they have worked out the bugs.

I'd actually be interested into looking back into spot, one thing I like is the spot uses AAA batteries, the ACR PLB's have non-user replaceable batteries. With the SPOT in theory you could greatly increase your emergency signal time by having spare batteries.

So for me the SPOT is more useful for letting loved ones know you are okay and such more of an overgrown cell phone, but I still have more faith in the PLB getting the job done if things really go wrong.

I have a DeLorme PN60 and a SPOT, which I'll be using this summer hiking alone in the mountains. I know the GPS works well, because I had a PN20. One of the nice things about that combination is that you can check functionality by sending non-emergency messages, whereas with the PLB you won't know if it works until you need it.

I have topographic maps of all of the western U.S. loaded on a SD card on the GPS - the PN60 comes with TopoUSA on DVDs, which covers the entire U.S. Selected sections can be copied to SD and used in the GPS.

What Redmanss said.

Talking on one is near impossible, the cost to me is not worth it, while others disagree the reliable service is not there in emergencies.

I carried an Icomm VHF with one button guarded freq operation while guiding and playing in the backcounty of Alaska. Very rare in most areas that some type of aircraft/sat is not within comms, someone is always listening!

A bud of mine deep in the Alaska bush had a guy go down, a few Maydays on guard was picked up by a passing NW 757 who relayed the call to center who relayed to the commode post & troopers SR who contacted local bush pilot who drooped them off. In about 2 hours they had a bush plane land with help and supplies, and then the 212th helo with PJs on board and circling herk.

Thanks for the info guys.

I had seen the phones and plans were a bit pricey. But if they worked reliable when I needed it, it would be worth it to me. I was looking at getting a used Iridium package. Mostly I'm just doing my research for now.

I've heard of SPOT and PLB before, but didn't think of them for this. I thought they were only something the military used or could have. That's some good info there I'm gonna look into them a bit more. Any links on the PLB?

As far as the phones go. I'm thinking of going prepaid plan. Is this what most of you do? If so how many Mins would you recommend?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a DeLorme PN60 and a SPOT, which I'll be using this summer hiking alone in the mountains. I know the GPS works well, because I had a PN20. One of the nice things about that combination is that you can check functionality by sending non-emergency messages, whereas with the PLB you won't know if it works until you need it.

I have topographic maps of all of the western U.S. loaded on a SD card on the GPS - the PN60 comes with TopoUSA on DVDs, which covers the entire U.S. Selected sections can be copied to SD and used in the GPS.
</div></div>

Can the PN60 and SPOT be used anywhere in the world or just the US/Canada?

I'm not finding where you can download foreign maps on it.

Well, the GPS and the SPOT can certainly be used anywhere in the world. I cannot speak to the issue of topographic map availability outside of North America - you might want to check on DeLorme's web site about that.

Added: And, of course, you can use the GPS with a printed topographic map, if downloadable ones are not available for a particular area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, the GPS and the SPOT can certainly be used anywhere in the world. I cannot speak to the issue of topographic map availability outside of North America - you might want to check on DeLorme's web site about that.

Added: And, of course, you can use the GPS with a printed topographic map, if downloadable ones are not available for a particular area.

</div></div>

Good point.

I was looking on there website and found that they do have world maps, but it looks like there not able to cross over to the hand held.

Maps link:
http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10620

I haven't looked at the world mapping capabilities of the DeLorme prior to this. I'm a Garmin GPS user for the most part, and I download my maps for it from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ for free. I was looking at the DeLorme unit for use at home and never looked past the subscription services for their NA maps and loadable imagery (my real interest in the unit). Now I have, and it looks like I'll still be using my Garmin for work at least.

There is this though: DeLorme Press Release for World Map Availability

That was just dropped a few days ago, and you can piece by piece purchase their world maps for $0.01 for 100 sqkm. So it is available if you're going to be in a defined area.

Don't know if this helps you, but hopefully it points you in a good direction at least.

Depending on where you are going the SPOT isn't really global (But close!), if you plan on going to the poles, tip of SA, southeastern africa or india that may be an issue. A PLB should work about anywhere you can see the sky.

Also you can run self tests on PLB's now to verify they are in working order and can send/receive the required signals. It's only recommended you do it once and awhile as it uses up battery.

If you read reviews at places like REI/Cabelas there's a lot of reports of SPOT units failing in the field just not during emergency use. One obviously has to take online reviews with a grain of salt but too many for me to trust one in the field that's there for the sole purpose of saving my butt when things go way wrong. That said one reason you may never hear of PLB failures is up until a year or so ago unless you needed one for an emergency no one used it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys use? What are the Pros and Cons?</div></div>Many here use what they are issued, the problem is getting a FFP that faces in the right direction.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys use? What are the Pros and Cons?</div></div>Many here use what they are issued, the problem is getting a FFP that faces in the right direction.
laugh.gif
</div></div> Graham is correct here. If you're in a canyon or draw, or just on the wrong side of a tall mountain, getting a signal can range from difficult to impossible.

Redmanss, is absolutely correct. I have lot's of experience with both the Iridium and Thuraya phones and his analysis is correct for both. The BGAN systems work, but the cost is extremely prohibitive and the package is excessive for your use.
If your not out on the ocean, you can probably find a cell signal. There are commercial and home brewed external antennas for cell phones that work well. Sometimes too good. You may find yourself roaming because they are finding a signal that is really far away.
If by chance you end up buying a Thuraya handset, the older type seem to work better than the newer, smaller handsets. I don't know why, that's just my observation.
Best of luck and read the fine print. This type of stuff gets expensive really fast!

Irridium is the best IMO. If you are just looking for emergency use you can get the prepaid plans and they are pretty cheap (for sat comms). I think they actually have an emergency prepaid plan IIRC. The data usage is very, very expensive and isn't worth it. Found that out the hard way. If you just want something for use when hunting and stuff, you can rent a irridum phone for periotic use. I would suggest this if it is just for casual use. Remember though, these things need a clear view of the sky. So, if you are in dense cover (canopy) they aren't going to work. Which does you alot of good if you are hurt and/or incompacitated where there is no signal. I would look into the spot. I have a friend that uses these and I am thinking about getting one. He has nothing but good things to say about them.

Good luck.

Iridium works well the delay is hard to get use to. My Verizon phone with GSM network gets used a lot more than the SAT phone. When it wont work we use the SAT phone and it doesn't work all the time.