• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 FCP HS Precision

Glocksteady

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Oklahoma
No pics but great story. I am a noob to guns period. Haven't touched them since High School. I got a Glock 22 to CC, don't like being limited with ammo so I work around the gun. Found myself shooting at sillouhettes at 75-100 yards. Realized I was obviously bored with it so I thought I would join the lovely hobby of long range shooting.

After lurking here for months and researching, I bought the Savage 10 FCP HS Precision as a starter .308. Add 500 rounds, a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP, and a crappy job; we were good to go. Anymore and I would have been divorced, broke, and eating my dogs food.

I have been fighting this "accurate" setup for two months. Trigger control, straight behind rifle, control recoil, drive through shot, load the bipod, on and on and on. It has to be me. They all say Savage is great. They all say Vortex will get er done. Good God I hate this. Two months of hell. I'm thinking the scope is defective.

At the range with my buddy today, and I reach up to see if barrel has cooled. Looked like it wiggled. Told my buddy to look. Put my thumb where the safety is and lightly pushed down. Barrel literally moved a full 1/4 inch up. Let off, 1/4 quarter inch down. Up, down, up, down! Do you have any idea how much driving through the shot it takes to hit a bullseye this way?

Apparently there are two little screws. One on each side of the mag well. Kinda important little screws. They hold the metal to the pedal. Had an Allen wrench and tightened them.

This rifle shoots like a dream. Zeroed at 200 and maintained it for the first time in two months. Moved to 300, dialed the dope, off on windage. Oklahoma, who'd a thunk. Corrected, bullseye second shot. Moved to 635, got on steel after doping Okie windage. 1/2 MOA 4 shots in a row.

I know, no pics, BS. I'm too old to care what others think. But I'm telling you. I don't consider myself a natural at this. Probably lots of hard work on fundamentals due to a bouncing barrel. Can't believe it left the factory this way and I am checking to make sure I don't have a couple of screws loose every 10 rounds for now. At my age, it's common to have a couple of screws get loose. We call them senior moments.

My point. It is nice to know my $3000 investment was not an epic fail. The Savage does what they say. It is extremely accurate out of the box and the .308 is a pleasure to shoot. The scope is flawless and matched my ballistic calculator perfect for doping. The next money pit will be reloading but I gotta be honest, the 175gr SMKs are not doing too shabby at all....especially compared to the last 2 months. I think I have found a new passion. Easier on my body than golf, but you commit to losing a box of Pro V1s every week! :-(

Thanks for all your threads here on the Hide. You really educate us noobies well. Just post some loose screw threads from time to time. Would have saved me $500 and a jug of Rolaids!

Steve

Re: Savage 10 FCP HS Precision

wow, thats a lot of wasted ammo for sure and good to see you got it fixed.i have had my scope base come loose and my shots started leaving the paper.lost 20rds to loose screws but i was glad something didnt go wrong optic or rifle.

Great to hear your story and glad you are enjoying shooting the savage.

Two months of insanity. Thought it was just me so come home, read more articles, read forums, go back out, shoot 40 more rounds thinking WTF. It has been a total nightmare. I knew to keep an eye on the optics hardware, just never dawned on me it was the rifle coming apart. I have never heard of it happening but maybe all gun owners know to check these bolts from time to time. I am a complete noob so it never dawned on me.

That's an awesome 3rd post!
smile.gif

Once tightened, it should stay tight, if not a little loctite won't hurt. I have a similar setup to you and I love how my rifle shoots, Savage rifles got me into this sport, and I hope to be doing this for a long time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I see you're from Oklahoma. Were you shooting on private land or at a range? I dream of the day I can get access to 300+ yards.

Got to love them Oklahoma winds. We were out at our range the other day and had a 17mph crosswind. If you are going to shoot in Oklahoma, you better like the wind.

It was at Red Castle Gun Range in the Tulsa area. They have a 600+ yard range but the 1000 yd is only open 3 times a year as they have to shut down other sections of it to shoot out to that distance. It is worth the membership. They have something for everybody. Even ranges for floating barrels like mine! That thing nearly drove me <span style="font-style: italic">crazy</span>!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocksteady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was at Red Castle Gun Range in the Tulsa area. They have a 600+ yard range but the 1000 yd is only open 3 times a year as they have to shut down other sections of it to shoot out to that distance. It is worth the membership. They have something for everybody. Even ranges for floating barrels like mine! That thing nearly drove me <span style="font-style: italic">crazy</span>! </div></div>

We were out today shooting and the cross wind was "Evil". We had 22 mph cross wind with 30-35 mph gust at our range. I didn't do to bad, about 4 - 8 inch groups at 600 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
never_savage.jpg
</div></div>

you know when you have haters, you are doing something right

i have the same model. i swapped a shilen tube and bedded the action. search my posts or ask if you need anything

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
never_savage.jpg
</div></div>

Meh...enjoy your savage. I've noticed CERTAIN PEOPLE HERE like to troll the waters...and stir the pot...instead of making educated responses. Happy shooting!

Great to hear you solved the problem.Just ignore the haters, its just like Chevy owners hating Ford.

Just another viewpoint.

savageteam_0003.jpg

Team Savage started its 2010 season in grand fashion, winning the F T/R National Championship team competition by besting all others in the 600 and 1,000 yard events, and establishing an new 1,000-yard record of 778-21X. That would seem hard to top. But that is exactly what they did at the last two major matches of their season.

Darrell Buell of Damascus, OR; John Weil of Welches, OR; Monte Milanuk of Wenatchee WA and Stan Pate of Milwaukie, OR wrapped up the season with two internationally sanctioned matches: the Canadian International Fullbore Championships held in Chilliwack. B.C. and the Pacific International Fullbore Championships held just outside of Portland, OR. At these matches, elite shooters from around the world compete at 800, 900 and 1,000 yards. The two matches combined constitute a “Super Aggregate”, or continental title.

Team Savage loaded up on the hardware at both matches, winning multiple medals at the various distances. They captured the team gold at the Canadian match and Gold and Silver in the individual Super Aggregate.

The real fireworks happened in the Oregon match. With John Weil leading the way, Team Savage put on a veritable clinic. This competition was held on Weil and Pate’s home range at the Douglass Ridge Rifle Club and they showed everybody that nobody knows how to read the conditions on that range better than Team Savage. Weil won all seven gold medals available, while teammate Stan Pate won six silvers. Monte Milanuk added three bronzes. Weil also shot a new national record at 1000 yards, scoring 148-4x.

(http://www.savagearms.com/news/article/?id=1DoKxAoZh)

Correct OBX Long Range. Both screws had worked loose. It may have come from the factory like this but I just accidentally noticed it. There had to have been at least a quarter inch movement. I would zero as best I could. Next time out, it would start 4 moa high. Work it down and a few shots later, would seem to be 4 moa low. That is why I started thinking the scope might be broken. In the beginning, I just thought I was a terrible shooter that had no business owning a rifle. It got me REAL focused on the fundamentals. Thank God I noticed it and got it tightened back down to the stock. It shoots absolutely fabulous at this point. I really like the setup. It is almost too easy at this point. Now I can work on reading wind and quit chasing zero! It was easy 1/2 moa at 635 yards, the weeks before, I only hit the plate once. Now, it's like I can't miss. Really enjoying it. I learned a very valuable lesson, don't trust the factory, and always check ALL of your gear. Every last screw.

The floated barrel was floating on every shot.

Tempest 455

I can believe it. My Savage (now) shoots fantastic. I can't wait for the rain to stop. :)

Sorry you went through that. It must have been very frustrating.I have almost the same setup. Savage 10 FCP HS Precision with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 SFP on Seekings rings and base. I set my action screws to 50 square inch pounds(not pounds square inch). Mine is very accurate. It seems to like longer bullets. Loves Berger 190 hunting VLDs .01" off the lands over 42.5 gr varget. I'm using Lapua palma brass with CCI BR4 primers. Let me know if you find a combination that it REALLY likes.

I guess I have never worried about the screws being loose. I have always immediately taken my rifles apart and did all my adjustments prior.

DK

I didn't know anything about them either when I got the bug to do this two years ago. I only checked them because I read something about them on here. They weren't loose, but they certainly weren't snug either. I think Savage puts them at 25 inch pounds from the factory. On the bright side, If they didn't get loose and stayed at 25 inch pounds you probably wouldn't have messed with them. It would have always been slightly less accurate. Glad it's working for you now. It's a great rifle for the money.

never_savage.jpg
</div></div>
laugh.gif
Love it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocksteady</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think I have found a new passion. Easier on my body than golf, but you commit to losing a box of Pro V1s every week! :-( Steve </div></div>
This new found passion you speak of is as expensive as a room full of divorce attorneys and the sad part is you're only seeing the tip of the iceberg right now.
shocked.gif

Haters gonna hate...... Whatever that means..... But savage is definitely GTG. I've got a bone stock 10FP action and barrel in a choate stock and she keeps up with the big boys all day long.

I don't think I have ever seen team Remington do anything like that with stock rifles. That said, they are all fun as long as they go boom.

"I always twist to maximum torquage...."

Name the movie!

Pick yourself up a torque wrench and torque those allen bolts down properly. Something like this Wheeler Torque Wrench, can help you get your scope rings, base, action screws and everything else torqued correctly.

http://www.grafs.com/dealer/product/242339

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoverp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I always twist to maximum torquage...."

Name the movie! </div></div>

My cousin Vinny?

Good for you! I also roll a Savage 10 FCP HS stock rifle with SWFA SS 10x/AAC Cyclone, or a DTA Covert/NF rig. The Savage hangs right with the DTA in .308 at 1/10th the price. Ignore the haters for they know not what they say.

never_savage.jpg
</div></div>

Stillnotsureiftrollingpenguine.jpg