• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage 10BA .308 - Factory Ammo Success?

dmatney

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2011
I ordered my 10BA yesterday and during the interim was hoping to get some feedback from experienced BA shooters regarding successful factory ammo results? What is working well on this big dog?

(The majority of my shooting will be alternating @ 500, 750 & 1000 yards).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Savage 10BA .308 - Factory Ammo Success?

I have the long action version of the BA in .300WM. After getting it set up and boresighted I bought 200 rounds of cheap-ish 180gr Federal ammo (the blue box stuff, not Premium) with brass cases I could use to reload later. I used these rounds to do my initial zero at 100 and slowly took my groupings out to 500 as I neared the 200th round just to see how cheap, factory ammo would compare to hand loads later. Groupings past 400 got a little wild (~2 MOA). I then switched to 190gr FGMM (still building my brass empire) and did a hundred more and was able to tighten up to 3" at 400. I think you have an advantage with the .308 as you'll find a lot more match ammo at much better prices so you'll probably do fine with that. I'm switching to hand loads partly for accuracy/consistency and partly for the economics.

Thank you very much for your response, and useful comments. And to the specific comment regarding your reasons for reloading, I definitely “get” the economics reference. In my initial research regarding my choice of caliber, the first thing I did was check Factory ammo pricing (since I unfortunately don’t have the time to reload).
That research is why I chose .308, as apposed to .300WM or .338 Lapua. (That, plus the fact that I’m not “planning” on taking-out any armored vehicles in the foreseeable future!) lol
I gotta say though; the thought of shooting “either round” was extremly appealing and a tough call!!!

Thank you again…
dm

Thank you very much for the response and the youtube link! It should be exceptionally useful in my quest for obtaining accurate ammo for my BAS-K!
I noticed (from your profile) the references to “Sergeant” & “Las Vegas”. As it happens; my Son is a SSGT living in North Vegas, who has been stationed at Nellis for the past 5yrs - soon to be Creech AFB.

Thank you again for the response, and even more for your service to our country!

OK, I'm new to the forum - and just now realized that the "Sergeant" reference is part of the forum's format, and not a reference to "military service". Forgive my ignorance! Geez!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TACTECDRT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, I'm new to the forum - and just now realized that the "Sergeant" reference is part of the forum's format, and not a reference to "military service". Forgive my ignorance! Geez!!! </div></div>

Yea, it references how many posts and replies you have. I'm am currently not in the military, just a good old civilian job out here in the armpit of hell, Welcome to the forum!

I own the 10BA as well, and I have found that Corbon BTHP 175 shoots the best. I've even won a comp with this combination.

Henh, henh, henh...

Sergeant. Ohyeah.

Thanks for the response. I'll definately check it out!