• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 BA 338 LAP

lds4mysanity

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
Corpus Christi, TEXAS
Picking up my new Savage 110 BA 338 LAPUA in a few weeks. Anyone shooting one yet? Most likely putting a Leupold M4 on it but have not made the optics commitment yet. Looking forward to shooting it. Natchez has Summit 250 gr 20 round for $75.00. Any opinions on this ammo? Thanks in advance.

Re: Savage 110 BA 338 LAP

if you start reloading you can get match quality ammo for just over a buck....

Instead of spending money on ammo why not buy dies and components?And if you are going to buy ammo-buy Lapua,at least you'll have brass that you can load at least 10 times AND KNOW that the ammo is top quality. That will remove a variable in determining how well the stick shoots.

Don't say its "too expensive"-because you have only just begun to spend. There is no such a thing as "plinking" ammo for a 338LM.

hey checkout the pics of mine in the photo section. i have had mine for about month now am waitinfg for one last thing so i can reload. the factory stuff is too expensive !!!!

Definitely try to roll your own if you can. The black hills stuff is good, but I just can't swing the funds to shoot those.

I have to agree with the reloading statements.

Shooting a .338LM is not like shooting a small centre-fire or rimfire

One would not simply shoot factory ammo unless they werent paying for it (ie military), OR time is money and you make so much money you have little time.

Unfortunately the majority of us dont fit into the category of "too rich not to care" so...

Centrefire calibers, especially the larger caliber ones that are accurate to extreme distances, usually require lots of ground work if you intend to shoot them past 500 yards consistently.

Unless you intend on shooting less than 100 rounds per year, my opinion is that investing in reloading equipment will be of the biggest benefit for your .338LM.

If you already have the basics, then some dies and some lapua brass with projectiles/powder/primers will have you on your way.

It will work out much much cheaper in the long run.

Sweet. Keep us posted. Gonna get my local shop to order me one of these. I'm familiar with the inherent accuracy of savage, but I'd like to see more range reports before I commit $2k...

You don't know how bad I wish these had been available 3 years ago.

you have to create an account at photobucket.com or a similar place, upload the pics there and it will provide you with a direct link, copy it. Then come here, click reply, and click on the icon that looks like a picture, then paste the link, finish the reply, and you're done.

i too just ordered the BA, should get it next week, i figured out the cost of reloads vs factory. factory = +- $6 per shot and reloads = initial purchase $2.70 (brass included) after that it drops to $1.14 for me reloads are going to be the way to go... what glass are you putting on it?

I am complete now and waiting for the weather to break to put my first rounds through it. I went with the Nightforce NXS 5.5 x 22, 56 bell. NP-R1 Reticle. I'm in Corpus Christi, Texas and we are getting a lot of rain from Alex last week and now the tropical storm that just went in down south from us. As soon as the range dries out I will be there. Will post pictures soon and post results.

twdtwdtwd

OK...I figured out how to post photos. That is my trophy I shot on Jan 01, 2009 in South Texas. Armalite AR-30 Bolt Action .308 with Hornady AMAX 168 grain. 15 points, gross 169 5/8.

ChadTRG42 from Dallas Reloads sells 338LM ammo for around $300/100 rounds. He also does custom reloads too, it's worth giving him a call or a PM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lds4mysanity</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picking up my new Savage 110 BA 338 LAPUA in a few weeks. Anyone shooting one yet? Most likely putting a Leupold M4 on it but have not made the optics commitment yet. Looking forward to shooting it. Natchez has Summit 250 gr 20 round for $75.00. Any opinions on this ammo? Thanks in advance. </div></div>

I bought a couple of boxes of the summit ammo to set up a friend's Rem in .338 lm. The ammo was very inaccurate as compared to Remington .338 ammo which was much more expensive. The rifle shot about 2.5 moa with the Summit and less than one moa with the Rem. The Rem uses Lapua brass. As I recall the Summit is Hornady brass - though that may not be related to the accuracy. Mybe other lots of Summit .338 are good, but it did not work in this particular rifle.

One of the main reason why your groupping are so big, is that the 110 BA as a twist of 1:9. This mean it is intended to shoot 300gr and over bullets. 1:9 twist is too much for 250gr loads.

The second reason is that the bullet on a 338 LM has to travel 300-400 yards before being fully stabilized. So it's not dead accurate on 300yds and under.

My 2 cents

P.S. I own a savage 110 BA 338LM.

Awesome stick!! I just bought the M700 in a 338LM, haven't shoot it yet but I have had the same NF scope as you bought for a while and it is an awesome piece of glass, got other NF's and in my opinion this is the one to have. Congrats on the new toy, happy shooting!

what kind of accuracy are you guys getting with the savage 110 ba 338lm at 500 yards plus?

I just sold one of 110 BA's. It seems to be a nice stick, but that scope base is just to much. I dont see a reason for it for 99% of the people who buy one. I put a EGW base on it and was then able to use low rings on the scope the customer wanted to use. Dont get me wrong I love my Savage but the guy's who can afford night vision in front of their day scope don't usually mount it on a Savage. I did like the bigger screws for the scope base at least the R&D guys where thinking when they put a scope base on it that weighs half as much as the rifle.

i just picked up my 110 ba today, i went with the USO rings. and the night force nxs npr2, i should take it out on saturday.

Let me know how it goes. The trigger on mine out of the box is set very light. Close your bolt slowly or you may set off a safety mechanism causing the trigger to lock or not fire.

I got one coming from northland shooters supply. I might install a SSS Competition trigger right off the bat if it will fit - hate the slippery sear problem with the accutrigger.

I don't have mine yet but what concerns should we have? Most factory stocks are plastic or composite with a modest aluminum pillar and thats it. This is a solid aluminum stock. More metal more better, IMO...I do, however, plan to ditch the accuwedge if it has it and do a full bedding job on it before it fires its first shot...

Found a good load for my BA 110 for you guys to try
(Only able to shoot to 100 yards right now, I know that's a waste to shoot that close but the groups look very promising for longer range)

Barnes 265g TSX tipped
Lapua Brass
CCI Primer
COL 3.602
N 165 80.2g and 80.4 both shot well

I've had one for a few months now for review. I will not be keeping it.

Should you get one you should first Locktite or Threadlok the four 8-40 Torx screws holding the scope mount rail system to the receiver -- they are neither tightened nor secured to the weapon.

While it will shoot well with factory 250-grain Hornady ammunition I have not been able to get it to print at claimed sub-minute (firing ten-shot groups at each yard line from 100 to 1,000 yards).

Teaser photo of best 200-yard ten-shot Hornady 250 grain group, shot off a bipod and sandbag on an NRA SR-C bullseye target:

2dtywax.jpg

Sinister,

May want to try some heavier bullets. I made 8 different
loads with 250g, 265, and 300g. Some slung and some shot well.
250g loads had the largest groups for me.

I loaded 100 Sierra 300-grain Match Kings in cases once-fired in another rifle and full-length sized in both Forster and Redding dies -- they wouldn't extract.

No sense trying to get group sizes when I had to beat out each case with a cleaning rod.

I had the same problem with the Redding competition dies, that body die was the answer for me, ran it as far down as I could and haven't had one that wouldn't extract since.

I've had no problems with my plain Jane RCBS dies with lapua
brass for reloads. I will be out of town for awhile but will keep you guys posted with other new loads. Looking to try out the Barnes 285g TSX as well. Like the 300g Match Kings but realy want to find the perfect load with a hunting bullet. Hope other guys will post their loads as well. Not many 338 lapuas out there with a 1 in 9 twist.

I took the tacti COOL rail of mine - looks better now, imo:
2010-08-12175852.jpg

I started off with 90.5g of retumbo under the 300 hybrids and had to tap out the bolt. It only got worse from there so its either a tight-chambered gun or the hornady brass is junk.
I have the redding match bushing neck die and match body die. I think I will run the next batch of brass through both before I fill them with anything, just to see if it helps.
Haven't chrony'd anything yet, but the 300 bergers under 94 grains of retumbo got to 550 yards with only about 7.5-8 MOA dialed in.

Hey guys, I just bought a savage 110 ba in .338 lapua, I put a leupold mark 4 on it with medium rings. The scope hits this big stupid rail system and I don't want higher rings just to keep the dumb factory base.

I ordered a Nightforce 20 moa new style base (are links aloud on this site??? if not I will delete)
http://www.opticsplanet.net/nightforce-1-piece-20-moa-base-for-savage-new-style.html
But I have not been able to find any info on what should fit this rifle for a base, I imagine I will have to drill the holes out a little for the larger screws, but I hope the base hole spacing on the 110 ba are the same as all savage LA's.

You guys that have put aftermarket bases on, are these just the same as savage LA bases? Will this Night force one to the trick?

Thanks for any help
smile.gif

S6308436.jpg

You need a base for savage long action with round receiver. Not sure if nightforce makes one but egw does. That's the rail I have on my rifle in the pic in the post above yours. Other than drilling the holes larger for the 8-40 screws it was a perfect fit.