• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 111 Long Range Hunter, stock or chassis? opinions

hink001

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2019
I picked up a Savage Long Range Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag a couple years back. Love the rifle and for what I paid for it, can't be beat. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the stock. Seems chinsy and it is definitely not a fun gun to shoot all day at the range. I'm not recoil sensitive but wouldn't mind a little heavier stock to soak up some of the recoil.

Uses; mostly range but will be for hunting. Not worried about lugging around a 10lb rifle. I'm looking at something like the Boyd's stock (i'll link below) or possbily as chassis. I've handled a few such as the RPR in the stores and fired them at the range. I'm on the fence... Love the Savage Elite Precision. I can't afford a project or money pit anymore.

I don't want to give up on the 7mm as I have a bunch of powder, primers and various projectiles that I bought for cheap years ago. I have a 308 and 30-30 for shorter range/smaller game etc. Anything to look out for? shortcomings etc? Which would you chose? Thanks

Reactions: The D
Word round these parts is Savages are clunky and not built very good. They work and it’s easy to re-barrel them, and that’s it. If you’re ok with some of the common Savage problems that your rifle may or may not develop then continue on.

If you are even remotely contemplating something else or sinking a bunch of $$ to get your rifle to be the baddest, sweetest shooting Savage in the multiverse then almost everyone here will tell you to buy and assemble your own long range Lego set. Firearm Legos aren’t just for the AR platform anymore. Seriously, it’s that easy

For a large percentage of long range work, lots of people will say to stick with a 7mm of some flavor. It’s about perfect for lots of scenarios. But if you stick with your Savage or build your own rifle around a custom action, re-barreling is simple. You could buy a few barrel and action tools and have a shelf full of barrels in any cartridge that shares the magnum bolt face

So, I’m sure this didn’t answer any of your original questions and now you have several more. Start asking. You may think they’re dumb, and you may get made fun of for it, but ask away. We make fun of everyone equally so don’t feel bad

I'm a value guy... guys will tell you that DD is junk and anything less than a KAC will fall apart on you.

The other option is someone has posted a trade for a different rifle I own, he's offering a Christensen Arms Mesa Long Range in 7mm Rem Mag. Says he can get one new etc... I see that grab a gun ( if i remember correctly) has them listed for $1500 so it's a so so trade, about even with what I could get cash for the rifle I'm selling. Then turn around and sell off the savage.

I don't want to build a gun. I've done it with cars, trucks, motorcycles etc... always end up spending 2-3x what you originally thought and $$ is tight. My 2 options are to replace the stock with a better stock or chassis w/ my 111 long range hunter or sell it and buy something else. Budget would be 2k max as I would essentially be selling 2 guns to finance the purchase.

If you want to use for hunting buy the lightest cheapest MDT or XLR chassis you can find. It will work well and that’s honestly what the rifles worthy of

Like I said, if you’re ok with your Savage then keep it and do what you will to it.

If you’re looking at another factory rifle your best bet will be to get a tikka, trigger spring, & stock/chassis of your choice. It’s a much better quality platform and will still accept prefit barrels without action work if you choose to swap cartridges

You need to make a choice as to your objective with the rifle. Be honest with yourself.
If you want to shoot competitions, sell the Savage(s) and buy a Tikka.

Savages are a good, accurate, inexpensive hunting rifle.
They lag in competition when shooting on the clock. Heavy bolt lift, bolts that have to be guided or they bind, etc.
They are simply not designed for putting a 8th or 9th or 10th round down range when the timer is running.

Once the Tikka Factory Barrel has been removed any other barrel changes are easy with a couple of tools and gauges.

Hink, Don't let anyone discourage you. Ask them what Larry Taite was shooting when he shot his first match and broke a world record. You will find your weakness. You will work through through it and find what is unacceptable and then..only then will you need to make a change. I look at guys who have been in precision shooting for 2 years max and they are preaching, excuse me regurgitating what the old timers learned. They are not speaking from experience.

Here is David Reed's Equipment list. He is ranked #976 on the pro PRS circuit. This quality shit did not move him to the front row. I'm sure he would blow me away but there are plenty guys killing game and competing with Savages doing just fine.

ScopeTangent Theta 5-25x56
Cartridge6mm BR
ActionDefiance
BarrelHart Rifle Barrel

Hink, Don't let anyone discourage you. Ask them what Larry Taite was shooting when he shot his first match and broke a world record. You will find your weakness. You will work through through it and find what is unacceptable and then..only then will you need to make a change. I look at guys who have been in precision shooting for 2 years max and they are preaching, excuse me regurgitating what the old timers learned. They are not speaking from experience.

Here is David Reed's Equipment list. He is ranked #976 on the pro PRS circuit. This quality shit did not move him to the front row. I'm sure he would blow me away but there are plenty guys killing game and competing with Savages doing just fine.

ScopeTangent Theta 5-25x56
Cartridge6mm BR
ActionDefiance
BarrelHart Rifle Barrel
I don’t think anyone suggests buying top end gear makes you a top end shooter.

Most of us are speaking from experience. After dealing with clunky actions, trigger issues, extraction issues etc with savage. Not to mention the retail value sucks if you upgrade

10 years ago I would have said savage is a go to for adjustable trigger and DIY barrel change. But the field of play has changed significantly since then

Also have you looked at the inside of a savage barrel…. I have a culvert at the end of my driveway that looks better through a bore scope then some of their barrels

Are you happy with the accuracy of your rifle? Are you happy with how it functions? Does it feed/extract to your satisfaction? If yes buy the stock you want.

I wonder if stock related complaints and negative comments concerning Savage rifles increase in direct proportion to increasing caliber and recoil? Reason I ask is because it`s not been an issue with my 110 in .223 and needless to say not in my .17HMR. If that`s the case, I wonder what the threshold in caliber might be at which point you can expect stock related issues? When I bought my Savage 110 I got exactly what I wanted, a good hunting rifle that hits the target and actually does passably well on the range with sub-MOA groups with ammo it likes.

I wonder if stock related complaints and negative comments concerning Savage rifles increase in direct proportion to increasing caliber and recoil? Reason I ask is because it`s not been an issue with my 110 in .223 and needless to say not in my .17HMR. If that`s the case, I wonder what the threshold in caliber might be at which point you can expect stock related issues? When I bought my Savage 110 I got exactly what I wanted, a good hunting rifle that hits the target and actually does passably well on the range with sub-MOA groups with ammo it likes.
I’ve read that .30-06 is about the limit for recoil sensitivity. But weight also has a lot to do with it. An ultralight rifle chambered in .308 shooting some stiff handloads could induce some flinch. And a rifle in some pretty big rounds can be a soft shooter if it’s heavy

I don’t think anyone suggests buying top end gear makes you a top end shooter.

Most of us are speaking from experience. After dealing with clunky actions, trigger issues, extraction issues etc with savage. Not to mention the retail value sucks if you upgrade

10 years ago I would have said savage is a go to for adjustable trigger and DIY barrel change. But the field of play has changed significantly since then

Also have you looked at the inside of a savage barrel…. I have a culvert at the end of my driveway that looks better through a bore scope then some of their barrels

You can't compare apples to oranges. A stock Savage pencil to a marksman Brux. Give me a break. You put a $250 trigger on your $1300 custom. Compare that to a bone stock Savage Accutrigger. Not a SSS one but bone stock.

Come on man, its like you are trying to justify it to yourself. If you don't reload and you know nothing about improving the action timing, or trigger timing, or improving bolt lift, can't run a machine or common hand tools, your right.

In the hands of experience, all rifles/actions can be improved upon.

I am curious if you have ever modified or machined on an action or built your own rifle before. You know, true and time, install or even chamber a barrel bed the rifle in the stock etc... If you are affluent it is easy to harmonize the song of "buy everything top end snobbish". But for a young guy starting out why be so negative. The "get rid of your Savage" BS stifles new entrants to a sport that relies heavily on skill and new shooters joining the competition.

If you had said something like. What are your plans? Heavy bolt lift upsets the savage and makes it tiring to shoot and re acquisition of the target is difficult. I would look into removing about .025" off the outer diameter of the firing pin spring(old style FP) as a start. Possibly getting a bolt lift kit. Maybe a better bolt handle. If the bolt seems to stick, push towards the action and possible file a very small, fine lead angle into the rear action and hone the raceway with a diamond hone. If your going to shoot sustained fire that barrel may give you trouble just like it would if that same barrel was on my custom action. Look for a barrel from X-Caliber or Criterion to get closer to the pack if shooting competition.

That's what a real contributor would do!

You can't compare apples to oranges. A stock Savage pencil to a marksman Brux. Give me a break. You put a $250 trigger on your $1300 custom. Compare that to a bone stock Savage Accutrigger. Not a SSS one but bone stock.

Come on man, its like you are trying to justify it to yourself. If you don't reload and you know nothing about improving the action timing, or trigger timing, or improving bolt lift, can't run a machine or common hand tools, your right.

I am curious if you have ever modified or machined on an action or built your own rifle before. You know, true and time, install or even chamber a barrel bed the rifle in the stock etc... If you are affluent it is easy to harmonize the song of "buy everything top end snobbish". But for a young guy starting out why be so negative. The "get rid of your Savage" BS stifles new entrants to a sport that relies heavily on skill and new shooters joining the competition.

If you had said something like. What are your plans? Heavy bolt lift upsets the savage and makes it tiring to shoot and re acquisition of the target is difficult. I would look into removing about .025" off the outer diameter of the firing pin spring(old style FP) as a start. Possibly getting a bolt lift kit. Maybe a better bolt handle. If the bolt seems to stick, push towards the action and possible file a very small, fine lead angle into the rear action and hone the raceway with a diamond hone. If your going to shoot sustained fire that barrel may give you trouble just like it would if that same barrel was on my custom action. Look for a barrel from X-Caliber or Criterion to get closer to the pack if shooting competition.

And at the end of all that youre still stuck with a savage…

I don’t recall suggesting Brux or any custom trigger/action or barrel. The OP said if he sold 2 guns he’d have a $2k limit. My suggestion would be more tailored to “get a Tikka T3X and drop in a KRG Bravo” if I were to really make a suggestion. That would leave a budget for mid grade optics.

I have worked on my savages. My 260 has a criterion barrel and shoots very well. I’ve also owned some lemons

If I could come up with $2k and was contemplating selling a savage for something else the Tikka/Bravo is one I would look into

Savage can become a time and money pit. No different then blueprinting a Rem 700 factory action. Years ago it was worth sticking more money into. I just feel that in this day and age money can better be spent elsewhere with the availability today