• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 12lrp 6.5 creed issue.

Ianred1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2018
I've shot 1000+ rounds through my 12lrp and it had a few blown primers here and there with hornady match 140s. This is a old subject and been seen alot with hot loads and short cut throats,but my bolt face is eroding a bit and I finally got all my guages to check my coal.oal.etc and it seems to me my throat is short? I can see Mark's all the way around the ogive. But since I threaded the barrel for my recce 7 I don't think they are gonna warranty the known short throat issue on my rifle. Suggestions?

I've shot 1000+ rounds through my 12lrp and it had a few blown primers here and there with hornady match 140s. This is a old subject and been seen alot with hot loads and short cut throats,but my bolt face is eroding a bit and I finally got all my guages to check my coal.oal.etc and it seems to me my throat is short? I can see Mark's all the way around the ogive. But since I threaded the barrel for my recce 7 I don't think they are gonna warranty the known short throat issue on my rifle. Suggestions?

Take it to a gunsmith a have it throated a little longer and buy an ejector spring cause if you keep blowing primers it will need replacing.

I would contact savage first and ask to speak with a manager first. My son's was the same way,so trust me savage does not want a lawsuit. And if they agree to fix it get them to replace the bolt head also at there expense. My son's went back twice for the same issue and they still didn't fix the problem so it got fixed at there expense by a well known smith of my choice. Good Luck

Carbon Ring?
Possible as it will seem your oal might be "shrinking" causing overpressure.
D

So you have shot 1000+ rds with a few pierced primers, u have it threaded and running a can and u are have higher rate of pierced primers? Are these factory or handloads? What's ur fp protrusion? It could be increased back pressure from can, a carbon ring could have formed, if factory ammo maybe the oal is bit longer and its jamming bullets in savage short freeborn, or a combination of all these. Look at fp protrusion, clean for carbon ring and report back.