• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage bent receiver fixed - SHOOTING RESULTS

Re: Savage receiver FIXED - shooting results added

So around noon I went out to a piece of land my family owns. Not the best area for shooting, but it was all that is available (the range up here opens late due to snow). As the land was a mucky mess from the morning rain, and I did not have a tarp/shooting mat with me, I used a small storage shack as a rest. All shots were fired from the standing position with a bipod and no rear support. I drew a 1" or so circle in the centre of a pizza box with a Sharpie and placed the box about 50 yards away from the shack.

I was very limited on my selection of ammunition. I had a 20 round box of Winchester 150gr X-something hunting rounds. I sighted through the barrel, adjusted the scope, and fired with POA being the Sharpie circle. My first round was way high and left, impacting the tree the box was leaning against. I corrected and fired. I was still quite a bit off (for 50 yards), so I made several more corrections and several more shots. I couldn't make the rounds track at all, and I even fired two shots with the same POA and no corrections in between, and they were very far apart. So my first thought was maybe the receiver really was FUBAR. But the stubborn streak in me said "it's gotta be the ammo," as I actually had heard about that ammo being inaccurate. Fortunately, I had five rounds of 168gr OTM American Eagle left from last year. So I drew another circle to the right of the first, aimed at it and fired. I was quite a bit high, which was odd given I wasn't really high with the Winchester ammo. So I corrected (a little too much) and fired again. I re-corrected (again a tad too much) and fired again, and again was just a tad off. I made one final correction and put my second-to-last OTM in the dead centre of the circle.

e16tlv.jpg

So, I was thinking, that Winchester ammo must seriously suck balls. So I grabbed a GAP load test target for a comparison. I found a gap in the trees that would let me shoot about 80 yards (100 paces, but the land rolls, so I estimated about 80). I fired a single and my last 168gr OTM at the upper right target. It was just slightly off from centre. Considering myself a poor-to-okay shot, I was quite pleased. I then fired a single 150gr Winchester at the lower right target. As you can see, it was way off considering it was only 80 yards away.

2saxvgo.jpg

DON'T BUY THAT WINCHESTER AMMO! Don't do it. I would not even feel comfortable hunting deer within 100 yards with it. Scary-inaccurate.

So, long story short, my face did not get blown off (my friend tells me this is unfortunate as I "really need a nose job on the fugly appendage"), Savage stock rifle (I did the test with the original barrel as my new one has not come in yet) accuracy is very impressive (again, I'm not a good shot), the SWFA SS10x42M is a fantastic scope, and Winchester X-something (for some reason I just can't remember the name) seriously blows.

I DID appreciate all of the advice, guys. I didn't mean to sound harsh. I know you didn't want me to kill myself, and you were trying to be helpful. I guess in this case my stubbornness resulted in lucky (and good) results. Thanks for all of the input.

Cheers,

Brian

I dont understand how you are calling the 168's accurate when you never fired more than one shot w/out making some sort of adjustment?
if you consider yourself an below average to an OK shooter, why do you think you are a good enough shooter to adjust off one shot?
not knocking you but the way you have drawn conclusions on the results you got today goes against the way i was taught in almost everyway.

you said you made quite a few more corrections and quite a few more shots. did you even shoot more than one shot at all w/out making an adjustment to validate you claim that the winchester ammo is innacurate? even in the cheapest gun possible at 50 yards it would group better than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont understand how you are calling the 168's accurate when you never fired more than one shot w/out making some sort of adjustment?
if you consider yourself an below average to an OK shooter, why do you think you are a good enough shooter to adjust off one shot?
not knocking you but the way you have drawn conclusions on the results you got today goes against the way i was taught in almost everyway.

you said you made quite a few more corrections and quite a few more shots. did you even shoot more than one shot at all w/out making an adjustment to validate you claim that the winchester ammo is innacurate? even in the cheapest gun possible at 50 yards it would group better than that. </div></div>

Please see the first picture. I used the same point of aim for the last two shots, and they were about 3 inches apart. As far as the "it can't be that bad of ammo" part goes, I have read of people getting 9 inch 100-yard groups with this ammo out of Remingtons and Savages alike.

As far as assuming the 168gr is accurate, I have used it BEFORE the receiver was bent, and it performed about the same. Also, the difference was that when correcting, it TRACKED. As in I dialed 3 MOA and it hit 1.5 inches away from the first shot. The Winchester ammo would not track, PERIOD. And as for self-proclaiming myself not a very good shot, look at the second photo. I missed my point of aim by about 1/2" inch. That could be extrapolated as a 1.2" group at 100 yards. I consider that mediocre. Hence, I consider myself a mediocre shot.

Re: Savage receiver FIXED - need to remove barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took the action to the mechanical engineering lab I have access to at MTU just to make sure someone reputable agreed with me. All six professors and lab overseers agreed with my assessment that it would be perfectly safe. Hope to have results posted by the night. </div></div>

Do you take your car to a Harley Davidson shop to get work done on it? How about you PM Stiller or C. Dixon or A10XRifle here on the hide. If one of those guys is that serious about a small cut to the magwell as found
here then I would like to see their opinion on your issue.

I think you had your own answer before you asked the question. I hope it works out for you, I really do. Personally, I have a wife and child I support and I wouldn't risk my ability to do that job on a 200 dollar part that I was to cheap to splurge for as part of my recreational hobby.

Best of luck to you when you take it out.
</div></div>

That's not a cut to the magwell they are talking about in that thread. That's a cut into a locking lug recess.

tag....just in case this nut ever makes it to 100 posts and decides to sell something I need to avoid!!

Regarding your "don't buy win 150gr ammo, is that every 150gr load they have ever produced? Or could there be a lot number associated with this "Bad" ammo? To be frank, I doubt if anyone of right mind is going to take your advice regarding ammo(with or without lot#), you have demonstrated a complete lack of common sense. If you only hurt your self, all gun owners suffer, as you will become another example for the commie press of "look what guns do". Your disregard for your own well being is understandable, but your lack of consideration for every other gun owner is not. I posted before and I shall do so again, cut that receiver into, to be certain no one ever gets ahold of that time bomb, you're old enough to own a firearm, start acting like it.

My 2 cents...

Good engineering analysis. That receiver is 4140, and not very hard, as it was happy to yield rather than breaking. Yes, it is work hardened now but so what? That part carries no load, other than the moment of the barrel hanging off it.

Luckily for you the savage has a floating bolt head and even though your action probably isn't "deadnuts" straight, the bolt is still square to the bore.

Good hands on education for a student engineer!

Now, take a lesson from this, and strongly consider load paths when working on stuff. Dumb mistake on your part - no worries, I've tucked shit up real good plenty of times myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 2 cents...

Good engineering analysis. That receiver is 4140, and not very hard, as it was happy to yield rather than breaking. Yes, it is work hardened now but so what? That part carries no load, other than the moment of the barrel hanging off it.

Luckily for you the savage has a floating bolt head and even though your action probably isn't "deadnuts" straight, the bolt is still square to the bore.

Good hands on education for a student engineer!

Now, take a lesson from this, and strongly consider load paths when working on stuff. Dumb mistake on your part - no worries, I've tucked shit up real good plenty of times myself. </div></div>

Almost exactly my assessment. Royal fuck up on my part, but saved by the floating bolt head and the fact that the work hardened part bears no force load during recoil, and the recoil lug which DOES was not damaged at all. The accuracy is just as good as before. Nonetheless, I definitely learned a lesson here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tip em over</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'll bet it'll be a shooter!</div></div>

Lmao. Best post in the whole thread

being a savage owner and shooter i have never seen a more pathetic thread than this one

i can only hope you are as sterile and impotent as your posts

The irony of this subject fucking kills me. This guy comes on a forum where people are absolutely meticulous about details and accuracy and asks "hey, I bent the fuck of this thing because I'm a dumbass, do you think it's a good idea to bend it back?".

What kind of answer did he expect to get. He clearly wasn't looking for input and expertise as he basically flipped all the experts the bird and said "I'm going to do it anyway". WHY THE HELL DID YOU ASK YOU MORON!!!

Someone ban this guy please.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSKevin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The irony of this subject fucking kills me. This guy comes on a forum where people are absolutely meticulous about details and accuracy and asks "hey, I bent the fuck of this thing because I'm a dumbass, do you think it's a good idea to bend it back?".

What kind of answer did he expect to get. He clearly wasn't looking for input and expertise as he basically flipped all the experts the bird and said "I'm going to do it anyway". WHY THE HELL DID YOU ASK YOU MORON!!!

Someone ban this guy please. </div></div>

Experts? Clearly they are not experts in regard to engineering - they thought it would blow up.

I don't remember this guy ASKING if they thought it would be cool if he bent it back. He stated he simply would bend it back. Further, I don't recall him claiming it WOULD be accurate afterwards, but what the hell... try it and see what happens. Without this kind of mindset humans would still be eating raw meat in the dark, because no one would have experimented and figured things like fire and lightbulbs out.

Thinking for yourself and experimenting = GOOD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Experts? Clearly they are not experts in regard to engineering - they thought it would blow up.

I don't remember this guy ASKING if they thought it would be cool if he bent it back. He stated he simply would bend it back. Further, I don't recall him claiming it WOULD be accurate afterwards, but what the hell... try it and see what happens. Without this kind of mindset humans would still be eating raw meat in the dark, because no one would have experimented and figured things like fire and lightbulbs out.

Thinking for yourself and experimenting = GOOD </div></div>

I'd just like to thank you for actually exercising the acquired skill that is reading.

Cheers

Re: Savage bent receiver fixed - SHOOTING RESULTS

I'll never be able to look at a used firearm the same way again.

well, im glad all worked out for the best considering the whole situation. just take this as a major lesson learned, and move on. we all screw up, at least you have enough balls to admit it. =)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll never be able to look at a used firearm the same way again.

</div></div> +1 I would ditch that receiver and start over no way its back to original specs. Vise-grips AGH

Right on glad it worked out.
Somtimes things are learned the hardway.
bedding the reciever may help with issues of it not being perfictly true to the bedding block and help with reliving stress on the action. But i am not a expert so that is just a guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J York</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While the part you bent and then unbent doesn't bear any load or pressure from the chamber when the round fires necessarily, that doesn't mean it is safe to fire. Ever seen the slow motion videos of the amount of flex the whole action takes when the round is fired? There is a lot of pressure on those parts from recoil. You may have just put stress on the 2 smallest pieces of metal in the action from work hardening or stressing them bending them cold. Those 2 little pieces hold together the "rings of steel" that give the action its strength as a whole. They fracture and seperate upon firing and now only the front action screw keeps them from coming back and smacking you in the kisser. Just my 2 cents but your face, your call. </div></div>Great post, and to the point. It never ceases to amaze me how many "expert engineers" we have posting. Those that talk about the load bearing parts etc. do not understand receiver flex at all! It is no wonder America is losing (or lost)the edge when it comes to engineering. Not to long ago, on this board, an fool argued that the steel rings made by Badger Ord. could not be made for the cost they sell them for, and that aluminum was 40% lighter and 150% stronger than any steel that could be made into rings (such as the steel used by Badger)at a reasonable cost! I don't know if these two guys are from the same school of engineering, or just smoking the same crap!Nonetheless, what is even worse are the followers, as one fool states he is an engineer-there are a group of fools willing to jump on their band wagon! His rifle did not "blow up" on the first round-and may not for several hundred rounds, even then I don't think it will "blow up", rather it will break at the weak spots, and send sharp broken steel, at a high rate of speed into his face. Even if it never breaks, the chance is far to high to risk someones life or vision over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J York</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While the part you bent and then unbent doesn't bear any load or pressure from the chamber when the round fires necessarily, that doesn't mean it is safe to fire. Ever seen the slow motion videos of the amount of flex the whole action takes when the round is fired? There is a lot of pressure on those parts from recoil. You may have just put stress on the 2 smallest pieces of metal in the action from work hardening or stressing them bending them cold. Those 2 little pieces hold together the "rings of steel" that give the action its strength as a whole. They fracture and seperate upon firing and now only the front action screw keeps them from coming back and smacking you in the kisser. Just my 2 cents but your face, your call. </div></div>Great post, and to the point. It never ceases to amaze me how many "expert engineers" we have posting. Those that talk about the load bearing parts etc. do not understand receiver flex at all! It is no wonder America is losing (or lost)the edge when it comes to engineering. Not to long ago, on this board, an fool argued that the steel rings made by Badger Ord. could not be made for the cost they sell them for, and that aluminum was 40% lighter and 150% stronger than any steel that could be made into rings (such as the steel used by Badger)at a reasonable cost! I don't know if these two guys are from the same school of engineering, or just smoking the same crap!Nonetheless, what is even worse are the followers, as one fool states he is an engineer-there are a group of fools willing to jump on their band wagon! His rifle did not "blow up" on the first round-and may not for several hundred rounds, even then I don't think it will "blow up", rather it will break at the weak spots, and send sharp broken steel, at a high rate of speed into his face. Even if it never breaks, the chance is far to high to risk someones life or vision over. </div></div>

What you don't seem to understand is that the yield point of the steel in the receiver even after I bent/unbent it is SEVERAL THOUSAND TIMES greater than the force it is EVER subjected to. And there is this little thing called the recoil lug that "keeps the action from flying into your face." It's called the recoil lug for a reason, believe it or not. Pretty cool stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J York</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While the part you bent and then unbent doesn't bear any load or pressure from the chamber when the round fires necessarily, that doesn't mean it is safe to fire. Ever seen the slow motion videos of the amount of flex the whole action takes when the round is fired? There is a lot of pressure on those parts from recoil. You may have just put stress on the 2 smallest pieces of metal in the action from work hardening or stressing them bending them cold. Those 2 little pieces hold together the "rings of steel" that give the action its strength as a whole. They fracture and seperate upon firing and now only the front action screw keeps them from coming back and smacking you in the kisser. Just my 2 cents but your face, your call. </div></div>Great post, and to the point. It never ceases to amaze me how many "expert engineers" we have posting. Those that talk about the load bearing parts etc. do not understand receiver flex at all! It is no wonder America is losing (or lost)the edge when it comes to engineering. Not to long ago, on this board, an fool argued that the steel rings made by Badger Ord. could not be made for the cost they sell them for, and that aluminum was 40% lighter and 150% stronger than any steel that could be made into rings (such as the steel used by Badger)at a reasonable cost! I don't know if these two guys are from the same school of engineering, or just smoking the same crap!Nonetheless, what is even worse are the followers, as one fool states he is an engineer-there are a group of fools willing to jump on their band wagon! His rifle did not "blow up" on the first round-and may not for several hundred rounds, even then I don't think it will "blow up", rather it will break at the weak spots, and send sharp broken steel, at a high rate of speed into his face. Even if it never breaks, the chance is far to high to risk someones life or vision over. </div></div>

What you don't seem to understand is that the yield point of the steel in the receiver even after I bent/unbent it is SEVERAL THOUSAND TIMES greater than the force it is EVER subjected to. And there is this little thing called the recoil lug that "keeps the action from flying into your face." It's called the recoil lug for a reason, believe it or not. Pretty cool stuff. </div></div>

How does the recoil lug stop the action from exploding in your face? Does it have an anti explosion device? I was always under the impression that it was there to stop the action from sliding around when fired... stopping moevement, not explosions.
smirk.gif

I still stick with my previous statement. There are to many variables in this situation, I would not shoot it for long. The potential that something bad could happen would always be on my mind. I wouldn't take that risk because you weren't willing to own up to you bending the action and replacing it. What if your friend or family member shot that rifle and it exploded in their face? How would that make you feel?

As it's been said, there have been a lot of people saying scrap the action. I would go with the majority on this one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Royal fuck up on my part, but saved by the floating bolt head and the fact that the work hardened part bears no force load during recoil, and the recoil lug which DOES was not damaged at all. The accuracy is just as good as before. Nonetheless, I definitely learned a lesson here. </div></div>

Dumbass, the relief for the bolt lugs and the cross peice for the floating bolt head-not the recoil lug.

Just goes to show that you have no clue what you are dealing with. Hopefully the lesson that teaches you humility when dealing with 55K psi next to your cheekbone, eyeball and braincase doesn't hurt too badly...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5Redman8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tag....just in case this nut ever makes it to 100 posts and decides to sell something I need to avoid!! </div></div>

LMAO!!!

This thread is absolutely retarded.

First, it's retarded because someone bent a receiver.

Secondly, it's retarded because someone bent a receiver back when it isn't worth that much.

Thirdly, it's retarded because people actually think this makes the action dangerous.

Fourth, it's retarded because people don't understand the bolt rails don't bear any pressure during a shot.

Fifth, it's retarded because people think that the recoil is going to cause a fairly stout piece of steel to completely shatter.

Sixth, it's retarded because I finally broke down and replied because I couldn't take it anymore. I think my IQ dropped a good 15% from reading the retarded bickering on here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is absolutely retarded.

Secondly, it's retarded because someone bent a receiver back when it isn't worth that much.

Thirdly, it's retarded because people actually think this makes the action dangerous.

Fourth, it's retarded because people don't understand the bolt rails don't bear any pressure during a shot.

Fifth, it's retarded because people think that the recoil is going to cause a fairly stout piece of steel to completely shatter.

Sixth, it's retarded because I finally broke down and replied because I couldn't take it anymore. I think my IQ dropped a good 15% from reading the retarded bickering on here. </div></div>

I know what you mean. Sounds like you have enough of a brain to sustain a 15% drop in IQ and still be ok, though. Others here....not so sure about. The way many folks on this forum approach rifles, you'd think they were some kind of magic black voodoo box or something...instead of a hunk of barstock with a couple machining operations done to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is absolutely retarded.

Sixth, it's retarded because I finally broke down and replied because I couldn't take it anymore. I think my IQ dropped a good 15% from reading the retarded bickering on here. </div></div>

Haha, I agree with every single thing. The only thing (for me) is that I'm dead-broke. So it was either try to get it to work or wait 4 months until I have the cash. I lucked out, it still shoots as good as it ever did.

stop holding back and say how you really feel

This whole deal has rasied more questions in my mind than it has answered. This I do know. If I was putting a "new" barrel on this action, which I am assuming the OP was trying to accomplish when his maximum FU occured, I would not waste my time. This thing will never be a precision shooting instrument, Winchester ammo or not...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What you don't seem to understand is that the yield point of the steel in the receiver even after I bent/unbent it is SEVERAL THOUSAND TIMES greater than the force it is EVER subjected to. And there is this little thing called the recoil lug that "keeps the action from flying into your face." It's called the recoil lug for a reason, believe it or not. Pretty cool stuff. </div></div>I stand corrected! your recoil lug is located both in the front and rear of the receiver, I thought it was forward of the bolt, so if the rear of the receiver broke under pressure, the recoil lug would not be of any effect of the rear portion of the receiver, thanks for clearing this up, your special recoil lug-a very special engineered piece to be sure, is able to handle this, well then okay. If it is in the standard location, I sure hope you are not trying to become an engineer! At this point in time, I'd suggest you run a thousand rounds out of it, keeping track of groups etc. and report back-heavier the bullet the better-good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What you don't seem to understand is that the yield point of the steel in the receiver even after I bent/unbent it is SEVERAL THOUSAND TIMES greater than the force it is EVER subjected to. And there is this little thing called the recoil lug that "keeps the action from flying into your face." It's called the recoil lug for a reason, believe it or not. Pretty cool stuff. </div></div>I stand corrected! your recoil lug is located both in the front and rear of the receiver, I thought it was forward of the bolt, so if the rear of the receiver broke under pressure, the recoil lug would not be of any effect of the rear portion of the receiver, thanks for clearing this up, your special recoil lug-a very special engineered piece to be sure, is able to handle this, well then okay. If it is in the standard location, I sure hope you are not trying to become an engineer! At this point in time, I'd suggest you run a thousand rounds out of it, keeping track of groups etc. and report back-heavier the bullet the better-good luck. </div></div>

This is correct. The recoil lug will not prevent an action that has failed rearward of the bolt from moving rearwards and perhaps killing you. However, as has been stated over and over again, no stressed part of this receiver has been compromised (as long as there has been full disclosure on what the receiver has been through).

This is hilarious. I completely agree.

I noticed that people on this forum err on the side of caution. I wouldn't want to buy it myself, but I sure wouldn't have a problem shooting it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What you don't seem to understand is that the yield point of the steel in the receiver even after I bent/unbent it is SEVERAL THOUSAND TIMES greater than the force it is EVER subjected to. And there is this little thing called the recoil lug that "keeps the action from flying into your face." It's called the recoil lug for a reason, believe it or not. Pretty cool stuff. </div></div>I stand corrected! your recoil lug is located both in the front and rear of the receiver, I thought it was forward of the bolt, so if the rear of the receiver broke under pressure, the recoil lug would not be of any effect of the rear portion of the receiver, thanks for clearing this up, your special recoil lug-a very special engineered piece to be sure, is able to handle this, well then okay. If it is in the standard location, I sure hope you are not trying to become an engineer! At this point in time, I'd suggest you run a thousand rounds out of it, keeping track of groups etc. and report back-heavier the bullet the better-good luck. </div></div>

This is correct. The recoil lug will not prevent an action that has failed rearward of the bolt from moving rearwards and perhaps killing you. However, as has been stated over and over again, no stressed part of this receiver has been compromised (as long as there has been full disclosure on what the receiver has been through). </div></div>I stand corrected, a savage receiver does not have any receiver flex during firing! Thanks for setting us straight. Of course, if it did, then what you have posted here regarding the over and over and over bs regarding that no stress is applied to the receiver behind the bolt during the firing cycle would be stupid, uninformed and idiotic, but as you are an expert in the no- flex receivers made by savage, I again stand corrected.

And have no fear. I would NEVER try to sell this, as most people would feel the paranoid way that others on this forum do, so I wouldn't want to violate their safety standards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This is correct. The recoil lug will not prevent an action that has failed rearward of the bolt from moving rearwards and perhaps killing you. However, as has been stated over and over again, no stressed part of this receiver has been compromised (as long as there has been full disclosure on what the receiver has been through). </div></div>I stand corrected, a savage receiver does not have any receiver flex during firing! Thanks for setting us straight. Of course, if it did, then what you have posted here regarding the over and over and over bs regarding that no stress is applied to the receiver behind the bolt during the firing cycle would be stupid, uninformed and idiotic, but as you are an expert in the no- flex receivers made by savage, I
again stand corrected. </div></div>

We all appreciate you finally admitting this. Thank you.

It's funny with some of the replies to this thread by those who think this action will blow up, must have been taught that when a round is fired the mini-explosion that occurs happens around the area of the trigger group. Lol.

It actually happens in that little thing called the chamber. The force that then occurs is one in all directions. The resistance from the chamber wall leaves that force to be applied in two directions. It is applied to the base of the bullet and the bolt head. Since the bolt head is held in place by the bolt lugs, the bullet is pushed out of the chamber through the barrel.

Those that are talking about the vibrations through an action don't understand that those vibrations are actually very small in magnitude. Most of those vibrations occur because of the attached 2 pound weight that is on top of the action.

In all reality if you wanted to test on an action. Cut the rear of the action off, insert round, insert bolt, release firing pin, remove bolt and empty case. This isn't rocket science.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lefty06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally if it was mine I'd cut my loss (chalk it up to a well s#@$) and get a new receiver. I wouldn't want to take the chance of it failing. But if by some chance it was safe to shoot I'd worry about the receiver being true if it wasn't true it might hurt you're accuracy. But I'm not a gunsmith. </div></div>

My plan is to see how it shoots. If accuracy has declined, I'll just <span style="text-decoration: underline">slap it back in the factory stock and use it as a</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">hunting rifle</span>,<span style="color: #CC0000">SELL IT ON GUNBROKER </span>then buy a new receiver for my actual build. If it shoots true, then I'll just keep it. </div></div>

I love it Op goes from being a Dumpa-- who can't figure out how to change the barrel (but swears he had the wrench in the right place even though it is obvious that he didn't) to a master gunsmith and a expert in metallurgy. He stayed at a Holiday Inn.

Then you have the other a--holes calling the people who are trying to get him to do the safe thing which is get rid of it morons and idiots. Is the rifle going to explode no but it will eventually start to crack.

Quit backing the MORON up he should not be working on firearms. Good lord then he even lied about it. Oh it was against the lug, I swear it was against the lug, it was against the lug well maybe not. When you could clearly tell it wasn't from the photos.

Since all of the armchair metallurgists say that there is no stress on the receiver, then why would anyone ever bother with bedding an action? This thread still has alot of unanswered questions. I recall the original title, claiming "Savage failure."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since all of the armchair metallurgists say that there is no stress on the receiver, then why would anyone ever bother with bedding an action? This thread still has alot of unanswered questions. I recall the original title, claiming "Savage failure." </div></div>

You're right. To be highly technical there are stresses and vibrations throughout the entire action. If you propped your barrel up on sandbags directly, rather than the full float stock, you'll realize a point if impact shift....

Are you in danger of the gun blowing up or cracking?

Most people, myself included, would say no.

If you place a strain-gaged hunk of 1" steel bar 26" long in a vice, then hung 1lb off of it, you would create a MEASUREABLE amount of bending deflection in the bar. These slight deflections, in a barrel cause point of impact shifts. Not explosions.

There is probably no issue, but why take the risk? Is it really worth it? I wouldnt but that's just me. Good luck

I watch this thread unfold and I wonder how many guys would be shocked if they got to watch their favorite actions get worked into custom guns.

It's this simple. The main stress of the receiver is from the barrel to the bolt face, to the lugs, to the mated surfaces of the receiver lugs (front ring of the action). There is no "firing" load bearing on the points that were bent and bent back. If those of you who have issues with that 24 hrs. in an autoclave {@ 450F} will normalize that just fine. ...that is, if you're that worried about it.
wink.gif

Due to the flexibility of the Savage system vs. the Remington/post '64 Win system this rifle will more than likely keep it's accuracy.

For those of you naysayers, what do you think happens sometimes when you bring in an old Mauser, Rem 700 or Win 70 to get customized? Do you think they all just pop those barrels right out of there? No, sometimes you have have to get a little nasty with them. But, it's steel and it can be re-worked. The back half of actions have been twisted and gnarled for over a century now. And as long as the front ring isn't damaged it doesn't even have to be re-heat treated. The Yugoslavians and Russians proved you can re-work these type bolt actions just fine.

To the OP, you made your mistake and learned your lesson. The best advice I can concur with is use the barrel vise to remove a barrel from a Savage instead of an action vice. It never hurts though to have it all reinforced. That way you get no surprise bent actions to freak out over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watch this thread unfold and I wonder how many guys would be shocked if they got to watch their favorite actions get worked into custom guns.

It's this simple. The main stress of the receiver is from the barrel to the bolt face, to the lugs, to the mated surfaces of the receiver lugs (front ring of the action). There is no "firing" load bearing on the points that were bent and bent back. If those of you who have issues with that 24 hrs. in an autoclave {@ 450F} will normalize that just fine. ...that is, if you're that worried about it.
wink.gif

Due to the flexibility of the Savage system vs. the Remington/post '64 Win system this rifle will more than likely keep it's accuracy.

For those of you naysayers, what do you think happens sometimes when you bring in an old Mauser, Rem 700 or Win 70 to get customized? Do you think they all just pop those barrels right out of there? No, sometimes you have have to get a little nasty with them. But, it's steel and it can be re-worked. The back half of actions have been twisted and gnarled for over a century now. And as long as the front ring isn't damaged it doesn't even have to be re-heat treated. The Yugoslavians and Russians proved you can re-work these type bolt actions just fine.

To the OP, you made your mistake and learned your lesson. The best advice I can concur with is use the barrel vise to remove a barrel from a Savage instead of an action vice. It never hurts though to have it all reinforced. That way you get no surprise bent actions to freak out over. </div></div>

I am in total agreement. I haven't seen any accuracy decrease. It's still a 1 MOA gun in my hands (I'm not really good enough for consistent sub-MOA shooting, so it's probably more than enough gun for me). I admit (and have MANY times, for those that failed to read) that I royally screwed up. But as you say, I fortunately did not damage the parts that contribute to safety during firing. Thanks for the encouragement as well.

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since all of the armchair metallurgists say that there is no stress on the receiver, then why would anyone ever bother with bedding an action? This thread still has alot of unanswered questions. I recall the original title, claiming "Savage failure." </div></div>

The action is bedded to ensure it does not shift in the stock from shot to shot. This makes sure the action responds to every shot in the same way. It doesn't have anything to do with the strenth of the action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly how do you guys think he made his gun unsafe? He didn't damage the area around or even near the locking lugs. There is no stress on the section that he bent and then straightened. </div></div>

Thank you. I'm also confused by that line of thinking. The bolt guide rails to not contribute to anything except guiding the bolt. They do not bear the force load during recoil, and they do not contribute to chamber pressure. And the lugs lock in the front (unbent section). Even if I sawed it in half the weapon would still fire safely if the bolt was locked. </div></div>

As I said " out of your lane"...now into oncoming!

Good luck and Godbless....you don't know what you don't know!

"If you have to ask the question then you wouldn't understand the answer" </div></div>

Spoken like someone who truly doesn't know what they're talking about. </div></div>

...just a few advanced mechanical/material engineering degrees from the Univ. of Fl. [ I've done the math!]

I have also quite successfully removed and rebarreled a few [only20-30] Savages with nary a problem .
Just trying to explain something to someone who would not seem to have a grasp of some basics[this is how he got into this whole mess---didn't know how to turn wrenches correctly to get a Savage barrel nut off !] Most anyone that has turned wrenches would know that to get the damage that he showed in the initial "I broke it" post was considerably more than just a casual twist as he asserts.

As others have tried to get some of you to understand ,No-one knows the actual damage that was done...until it breaks and a proper metallurgical study done.

Will it blow up in his face and cause women to wail at his funeral?...probably not. (as one buddy remarked "he'll find something else to maim himself with before that happens!"]
grin.gif

Could it be shot for many years to come with no ill effects?..probably so.

But would you want to be the poor sap down the road that pays some hard earned money for a rifle that cracks/breaks after you buy it?
cry.gif
....doubt it.

So I'll stick by my "you don't know what you don't know".

I understand trying to salvage a screwup and save a buck ...but 50-60K PSI doesn't!

My guess would be that you guys that think that this is a good thing to do also think that it's OK to talk or text on the cellphone while driving since you've never had/caused an accident while doing it. Just because you can do something and get away with it doesn't make it right.

I prefer not to hold the guy's beer while he says..."Hey Y'all , watch this"
...but that's just me!

p.s.Said he still hasn't got the barrel nut off!..hmmmmmmm

to the op. glad it shoots. this is what the whole thread reminded me of.

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/bYasIxe4xuQ[/video] and why arent the vids showing up? youtube changed the links i thinks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMARINE1108</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since all of the armchair metallurgists say that there is no stress on the receiver, then why would anyone ever bother with bedding an action? This thread still has alot of unanswered questions. I recall the original title, claiming "Savage failure." </div></div>

The action is bedded to ensure it does not shift in the stock from shot to shot. This makes sure the action responds to every shot in the same way. It doesn't have anything to do with the strenth of the action. </div></div>

NO SHIT?! Reckon what would cause that action to "shift" in the stock from shot to shot? hmmmmm....If strength of the action matters not then why-in-the-hell would anybody "waste" their $ on Surgeon, BAT, Templar, Stiller, etc...actions? The action is more than just a bolt guide as some may suggest. Check out 's.k.'s thread (H.S. Precision failure) and see what problems CAN occur when things go awry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
NO SHIT?! Reckon what would cause that action to "shift" in the stock from shot to shot? hmmmmm....If strength of the action matters not then why-in-the-hell would anybody "waste" their $ on Surgeon, BAT, Templar, Stiller, etc...actions? The action is more than just a bolt guide as some may suggest. Check out 's.k.'s thread (H.S. Precision failure) and see what problems CAN occur when things go awry.</div></div>

That receiver you mention failed exactly where one would expect one to - where all the stress is.