• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage bent receiver fixed - SHOOTING RESULTS

Re: Savage bent receiver fixed - SHOOTING RESULTS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to the op. glad it shoots. this is what the whole thread reminded me of.

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/bYasIxe4xuQ[/video] and why arent the vids showing up? youtube changed the links i thinks </div></div>

Thank you for being glad it shoots...not so much thanks for the video, haha. (It was pretty hilarious, though)

Re: Savage receiver FIXED - need to remove barrel

One thing to consider when the action is twisted back, it's not the same animal. To blame the ammo first for inconsistency might be too easy. One thing to check if anything might shoot is torque all action screws down, vise the rifle lightly, throw an indicator on the action above the front action screw, and loosen the rear action screw. if the indicator moves much that may 'indicate' the twisted action being unstable for accurate use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing to consider when the action is twisted back, it's not the same animal. To blame the ammo first for inconsistency might be too easy. One thing to check if anything might shoot is torque all action screws down, vise the rifle lightly, throw an indicator on the action above the front action screw, and loosen the rear action screw. if the indicator moves much that may 'indicate' the twisted action being unstable for accurate use.
</div></div>

I already explained regarding the Winchester. It grouped 4" at 50 yards and would not track, where I don't have a group for the OTM, but it tracked. I also shot some through my dad's Tikka to triple-check (sub-MOA gun with decent ammo) and got a 7" group at 100 yards. It's called Winchester Super-X. It has knockdown power, just terrible accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing to consider when the action is twisted back, it's not the same animal. To blame the ammo first for inconsistency might be too easy. One thing to check if anything might shoot is torque all action screws down, vise the rifle lightly, throw an indicator on the action above the front action screw, and loosen the rear action screw. if the indicator moves much that may 'indicate' the twisted action being unstable for accurate use.
</div></div>

I already explained regarding the Winchester. It grouped 4" at 50 yards and would not track, where I don't have a group for the OTM, but it tracked. I also shot some through my dad's Tikka to triple-check (sub-MOA gun with decent ammo) and got a 7" group at 100 yards. It's called Winchester Super-X. <span style="color: #FF0000">It has knockdown power, just terrible accuracy.</span> </div></div>

Well now thats apparent. 7" at 100 yards is horrible

I shoot Winchester super X frequently and it always seems to hold around an 1 inch to an 1 1/2".(243, 308, 3006, and 223) You still haven't proved anything by 3 shots with the OTMs for all you know they are holding at 4" also.

I'm guessing anyone who has read this topic and the Ops other topic is not going to take his advice on anything to do with firearms. First it was a Savage Failure, then it was I swear I had the wrench in the right spot do these ring a bell. I hope and pray you never start reloading because you will probably end up either dead or blind.

Just for kicks I showed a savage action to my 11 year old daughter and asked her where the wrenches would go to loosen the barrel nut. She got it right, I think she was 6 when I showed her how to use wrenches to work on her bike.

By the way Axe I loved the video......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juliomorris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot Winchester super X frequently and it always seems to hold around an 1 inch to an 1 1/2".(243, 308, 3006, and 223) You still haven't proved anything by 3 shots with the OTMs for all you know they are holding at 4" also.

I'm guessing anyone who has read this topic and the Ops other topic is not going to take his advice on anything to do with firearms. <span style="font-weight: bold">First it was a Savage Failure, then it was I swear I had the wrench in the right spot do these ring a bell.</span> I hope and pray you never start reloading because you will probably end up either dead or blind.

Just for kicks I showed a savage action to my 11 year old daughter and asked her where the wrenches would go to loosen the barrel nut. She got it right, I think she was 6 when I showed her how to use wrenches to work on her bike.

By the way Axe I loved the video...... </div></div>

sad part is that if he used the action wrench up front and the nut wrench this would have never happened. i was looking for the one from AFV with the kid actually picking at the brownie and eating it while he was telling his mom "i dont know who ate it" lol

and op, dude, we are for the most part very helpful here. you could have asked and i would have shown the post i did on how to do this. you could have said what tools you had and someone would have said to use the action wrench up front with the nut wrench or hell you could buy a vise or build one like i did from scrap cuts at the local yard. but thats not what you did. regardless of the strength or weakness of the receiver, you showed strength in your stubborness and weakness in your character. dude, you lied to us. i have nothing against you, ill help anyway i can. i have done alot to my savage and im always willing to help others, ill help out where i can if you have questions. but man, you kinda started off the wrong way with this thing. savage didnt fail, your application of tools did. thats just my $0.02 and this is the internet. glad you liked the video

Wow! This has gone further than it should. I don't think the OP cares what he does as he obviously doesn't know shame. He obviously can't shoot for shit. If I were you, Brian, I would not waste my money on a new barrel and don't blame Winchester. You may want to watch the bullet coming down the barrel.

Oh crap he is almost to 100 post so it will soon be for sale.

I figured out why the Winchester gave such bad groups, he was shooting 243 out of a 308. Just kidding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juliomorris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh crap he is almost to 100 post so it will soon be for sale.

I figured out why the Winchester gave such bad groups, he was shooting 243 out of a 308. Just kidding. </div></div>

don't joke I had a remington 700 come back to the shop because the guy fired a .308 through a .25-06 and then was demanding a refund when the casehead was welded to the bolt...

I doubt he'll post in the classifieds without getting pounced but keep an eye on gunbroker.

The interesting part here is no one has mentioned an entire theory of prestressing. How many people here have used prestressed bolts and rods? I do everyday.
Of course it would not explode, that's retarded. Regardless as many have said the real issue was an area of the gun that was not critical. And if someone says there is no area not critical..

I think my favorite quote applys here nicely--- "The absence of evidence is not the evidence absence" -Carl Sagen
OP, think of that one a bit before you pop off with a "your wrong" rant. Just because you cant see the damage, doesn't mean it's not there. A good comparison to what you did is when your doing fence work and forget wire cutters and you have to cut bailing wire or barb wire. (Some of city folks may have no clue what i'm talking about.
smile.gif
) You bend the wire back and forth repeatedly until it gets hot and "work hards" and it breaks. Basicly, when you bend or warp metal back and forth, it's changing the structure and strength of the metal on a molecular level. Granted, you didn't bend it back and forth repeaditly, but when your dealing with pressures 30,000 times the pressure of psig, it amplifies the effects of the weakend metal 1000 times more. just my .02 backed up with facts.
smile.gif

I see a come to jesus meeting with darwin coming soon. LMAO!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okrebel92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think my favorite quote applys here nicely--- "The absence of evidence is not the evidence absence" -Carl Sagen
OP, think of that one a bit before you pop off with a "your wrong" rant. Just because you cant see the damage, doesn't mean it's not there. A good comparison to what you did is when your doing fence work and forget wire cutters and you have to cut bailing wire or barb wire. (Some of city folks may have no clue what i'm talking about.
smile.gif
) You bend the wire back and forth repeatedly until it gets hot and "work hards" and it breaks. Basicly, when you bend or warp metal back and forth, it's changing the structure and strength of the metal on a molecular level. Granted, you didn't bend it back and forth repeaditly, but when your dealing with pressures 30,000 times the pressure of psig, it amplifies the effects of the weakend metal 1000 times
more. just my .02 backed up with facts.
smile.gif

I see a come to jesus meeting with darwin coming soon. LMAO! </div></div>

Facts? 30,000 times "psig" (which I can only assume you mean gage pressure, which is
basically 14.5 psia) is 435,000 psi, which is clearly incorrect. I don't like assuming meanings, but what else can I do? We all know 308 winchester pressures are WELL in excess of 30,000 psig OR 30,000 psia.

Is it also a fact the issue is amplified "1000 times"? Is that a linear relationship? A constant? Inverse? Exponential? Sorry dude, but you can't just pull a number out of your @$$ and call it a fact. As we say where I come from: that dog don't hunt. If im wrong, produce some quantifiable data and references.

As a professional engineer (yes, I have my PE), it REALLY irks me how so many of you are pontificating and prostletizing such ridiculous anecdotal and WRONG information. I am impartial. Look back at the other thread where I stated that for $200, he should just buy a new action. Its very difficult to bend metal, then straighten it back to where it originally was. He made a stupid mistake. I WILL call out anyone in this forum for misinformation and not understanding engineering principles - particularly when they are making
claims of an engineering type.

OP: please buy some quality ammo and have someone (if its not you) that can shoot well post some 5 shot groups (without scope adjustments!!!) so we can put this thread behind us!

The ridiculousness of this all is terribly frustrating to me, but yet im addicted. Its like watching a train wreck...can't help but watch.

Hell, im in ann arbor. If you're going to be down this way, I'll shoot the damn thing for some groups....or better yet, a dot drill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP: please buy some quality ammo and have someone (if its not you) that can shoot well post some 5 shot groups (without scope adjustments!!!) so we can put this thread behind us!

The ridiculousness of this all is terribly frustrating to me, but yet im addicted. Its like watching a train wreck...can't help but watch.

Hell, im in ann arbor. If you're going to be down this way, I'll shoot the damn thing for some groups....or better yet, a dot drill. </div></div>

It's like I'm the engineer driving the train, and am so fascinated in what's blocking the road, I know I should jump but can't help myself....

I think I'll just let this post die. It's becoming wearisome. I can take criticism/insults fairly well, but I'm starting to feel bad for most of those who are commenting. It's like kicking a horse that's dead, buried, and decomposed. Maybe when I get more OTM I'll post a 5 shot group.

glad I don't like Savage, there's no risk of me buying this in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMARINE1108</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since all of the armchair metallurgists say that there is no stress on the receiver, then why would anyone ever bother with bedding an action? This thread still has alot of unanswered questions. I recall the original title, claiming "Savage failure." </div></div>

The action is bedded to ensure it does not shift in the stock from shot to shot. This makes sure the action responds to every shot in the same way. It doesn't have anything to do with the strenth of the action. </div></div>

NO SHIT?! Reckon what would cause that action to "shift" in the stock from shot to shot? hmmmmm....If strength of the action matters not then why-in-the-hell would anybody "waste" their $ on Surgeon, BAT, Templar, Stiller, etc...actions? The action is more than just a bolt guide as some may suggest. Check out 's.k.'s thread (H.S. Precision failure) and see what problems CAN occur when things go awry. </div></div>

Bedding the action has nothing to do with stress. It keeps it from moving under recoil. As for the H&S that broke the crack was at the rear of the recoil lug recess. You know the part of the action that takes ALL the force. It didn't crack across the loading port.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMARINE1108</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since all of the armchair metallurgists say that there is no stress on the receiver, then why would anyone ever bother with bedding an action? This thread still has alot of unanswered questions. I recall the original title, claiming "Savage failure." </div></div>

The action is bedded to ensure it does not shift in the stock from shot to shot. This makes sure the action responds to every shot in the same way. It doesn't have anything to do with the strenth of the action. </div></div>

NO SHIT?! Reckon what would cause that action to "shift" in the stock from shot to shot? hmmmmm....If strength of the action matters not then why-in-the-hell would anybody "waste" their $ on Surgeon, BAT, Templar, Stiller, etc...actions? The action is more than just a bolt guide as some may suggest. Check out 's.k.'s thread (H.S. Precision failure) and see what problems CAN occur when things go awry. </div></div>

Bedding the action has nothing to do with stress. It keeps it from moving under recoil. As for the H&S that broke the crack was at the rear of the recoil lug recess. You know the part of the action that takes ALL the force. It didn't crack across the loading port. </div></div>

This is my last post on this crap. This has become freakin ridiculous...Whatinthehell do you think causes the action to move under recoil?...er, uh, stress...google 'reason for bedding a rifle action' or something similar and you will see that this is fact, not opinion. Yeah, the HS action broke BEHIND the recoil lug...People startin to make me nervous. Later

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okrebel92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think my favorite quote applys here nicely--- "The absence of evidence is not the evidence absence" -Carl Sagen
smile.gif
) You bend the wire back and forth repeatedly until it gets hot and "work hards" and it breaks. Basicly, when you bend or warp metal back and forth, it's changing the structure and strength of the metal on a molecular level. Granted, you didn't bend it back and forth repeaditly, but when your dealing with pressures 30,000 times the pressure of psig, it amplifies the effects of the weakend metal 1000 times
more. just my .02 backed up with facts.
smile.gif

I see a come to jesus meeting with darwin coming soon. LMAO! </div></div>

Facts? 30,000 times "psig" (which I can only assume you mean gage pressure, which is
basically 14.5 psia) is 435,000 psi, which is clearly incorrect. I don't like assuming meanings, but what else can I do? We all know 308 winchester pressures are WELL in excess of 30,000 psig OR 30,000 psia.

Is it also a fact the issue is amplified "1000 times"? Is that a linear relationship? A constant? Inverse? Exponential? Sorry dude, but you can't just pull a number out of your @$$ and call it a fact. As we say where I come from: that dog don't hunt. If im wrong, produce some quantifiable data and references.

As a professional engineer (yes, I have my PE), it REALLY irks me how so many of you are pontificating and prostletizing such ridiculous anecdotal and WRONG information. I am impartial. Look back at the other thread where I stated that for $200, he should just buy a new action. Its very difficult to bend metal, then straighten it back to where it originally was. He made a stupid mistake. I WILL call out anyone in this forum for misinformation and not understanding engineering principles - particularly when they are making
claims of an engineering type. </div></div>

I meant to say MORE than 30,000 psig (there's your fact 1 so I'm not pulling it out of my ass) As far as a relationship between the two numbers that I threw out there, it's not an inverse proportion (duh!) I doubt it would be a linear relationship due to the amount of variables and no constants. I would say it would be closer to an exponential relationship if it were to be any "set type" of relationship. In no way am I trying to "pontificate or proselytize <span style="font-size: 8pt">(<-correct spelling)</span> ridiculous anecdotal and WRONG information." I have my degree in Thermodynamic controls and applications, and I also deal with pressure readings every day. Just because you are a PE doesn't mean you're an expert or the only one with an advanced degree. What I said about the metals properties changing under stress and heat is a FACT and you know it. Are you disagreeing that the the integrity of the receiver is not more dangerous at 30,000psi vs. 14.5psi based on what he has done?? I ball-parked an estimate of 1000 based on what I have experienced in my field and what metal tends to do at different temps and pressures. Furthermore, I'm not trying to get in a pissing match with you, but you sure as hell come across as another stuck-up engineer who seems to think that he knows everything just because he's a "PE".....
confused.gif
And one more thing, define "making claims of an engineering type"... I'd love to hear that one.

Holy Shit!!!!! Read all three pages.

To the OP, ya <span style="font-weight: bold">F'd up</span>!! Glad you were big enough to admit it & wasn't hurt in the process.

It is what is.......'nuff said! Let it die now please........

Beatingadeadhorse.gif

I have a savage that was twisted like his. Instead of fixing it with visegrips I sent it to SSS and Fred fixed it up for me. Is this going to blow my head off? If I live can I sue?

I've put about 1k rounds through that gun as a .223 then switch to a 6BR barrel that I've shot another 700 rounds.
No signs of trouble that I can see, and it's the most accurate gun I own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This is my last post on this crap. This has become freakin ridiculous...Whatinthehell do you think causes the action to move under recoil?...er, uh, stress...google 'reason for bedding a rifle action' or something similar and you will see that this is fact, not opinion. Yeah, the HS action broke BEHIND the recoil lug...People startin to make me nervous. Later </div></div>

The H&S broke across the recoil lugs not behind them. As for the stress quote that's too stupid to argue with.

"Due to the flexibility of the Savage system.........................."

Now that's funny!
The flexibility of the Savage action is what got the OP into all this shit.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This is my last post on this crap. This has become freakin ridiculous...Whatinthehell do you think causes the action to move under recoil?...er, uh, stress...google 'reason for bedding a rifle action' or something similar and you will see that this is fact, not opinion. Yeah, the HS action broke BEHIND the recoil lug...People startin to make me nervous. Later </div></div>
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...&categoryString=649***20766***9146***11790***

The H&S broke across the recoil lugs not behind them. As for the stress quote that's too stupid to argue with.</div></div>

Jerk I think you might want to look at the pics again because you obviously Are well I will be nice.. I have attached pics of recoil lugs for your veiwing. Now hopefully you explain how it is fact that the HS broke across the recoil lug or did you mean locking lugs.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...&categoryString=649***20766***9146***11790***

Patriot there are a few on here that should not be giving advice about firearms........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Due to the flexibility of the Savage system.........................."

Now that's funny!
The flexibility of the Savage action is what got the OP into all this shit.
smile.gif

</div></div>

The flexibility of the Savage floating bolt head vs. the rigidity of the Winchester/Remington fixed head system. Meaning, the bolt-head aligns itself to the case and the lugs. Unlike the Remington/Winchester that have to align the bolt head with the direction the bolt goes. If you'll note in the system there still is no stress to the rest of the bolt. That is unless the rear of the receiver is so far out it takes up the slack in the floating bolt head and then DOES cause misalignment of the bolt head. In this case I believe the OP addressed that and said the bolt wasn't bound when in the full-lock position. That would be still free floating.

I think what you are referring to is the bending of the rear of the receiver, which was bent back. Satisfactorily, I might add, so that the receiver doesn't bind on the bolt as it is cycled.

FWIW, I think you need to include what someone says in full context.... that is if you know what that means.

"FWIW, I think you need to include what someone says in full context.... that is if you know what that means"

Dude, you need to lighten up!
This entire thread, not to mention the earlier one on the same subject by same OP, is just off the scale funny to me. I'm not making fun of you or (God forbid) the beloved Savage.
How does anyone know at this point who knows what they are talking about?
It looks like EVERYONE is a fuk'n metallurgist or mechanical engineer here. Or, at the very least, an all knowing authority on Savage actions.
It amazes me how some folks view things. I once had a guy ask if I knew where to get a slide and barrel for his poly pistol. When I asked why he needed it his story just dumb founded me. He has left the gun on the roof of his pickup and drove away. When he found it the gun had been run over by a car. The upper was missing and the frame was cracked/broken in several places. While I didn't see it, he said he had super glued the frame back together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"FWIW, I think you need to include what someone says in full context.... that is if you know what that means"

Dude, you need to lighten up!
This entire thread, not to mention the earlier one on the same subject by same OP, is just off the scale funny to me. I'm not making fun of you or (God forbid) the beloved Savage.
How does anyone know at this point who knows what they are talking about?
It looks like EVERYONE is a fuk'n metallurgist or mechanical engineer here. Or, at the very least, an all knowing authority on Savage actions.
It amazes me how some folks view things. I once had a guy ask if I knew where to get a slide and barrel for his poly pistol. When I asked why he needed it his story just dumb founded me. He has left the gun on the roof of his pickup and drove away. When he found it the gun had been run over by a car. The upper was missing and the frame was cracked/broken in several places. While I didn't see it, he said he had super glued the frame back together.
</div></div>

I see your point. This is not a mistake I would like to make. I almost made the same mistake while installing my 7mm-08 barrel. But, when I saw the twist going on in the action I stopped. Got the barrel wrench and did it that way. Someone who doesn't stop, then goes on the internet saying, "....UHHHH...how do I fix this?" is worth a laugh.

But, it's not that it isn't fixable. That's my point

Wow, just wow.
For all the shit tons of experience claimed present none seems to be more than manure.

I've torn actions down, reamed the rails pencil thin to install DMs, bend crap, broke and rewelded crap, done stuff most here would piss themselves over by some of the replies posted and all is well.

Recevier flex??? REALLY??? Ever heard about saddle bedding the front of the action and an inch or two of the barrel? The rest of the action can hang out in space after that!

NO ONE has said a bent rail action can equal a GAP, but then again most posting in this would be getting a name on the reciever than shrinking group size.

It is an interesting thing to see all these never actually reworked an action 'X-spurts' resort to cursing and belittling those with a differing opinion.

I'd never recommend warping an action like that to increase accuracy, however all the wagging tongues attempting to outdo each other over 'warnings' of dire results- a better understanding of just how a bolt action rifle works and where important stresses occur would do wonders for your ahhhh shit ton of experience.

Just saying

There are a lot of things that could be wrong with it, and Id junk any action that got bent instead of trying to fix it. It should get scrapped so no one ever buys/sells it as an "ok rifle".

But if no damage was done to the receiver ring/lug area, the rifle isn't going to blow up. Stop trying to fucking one up each other on putting the guy down and telling him its now a grenade.