• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage LRP???

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    Well i haven't heard much about the new savage long range precision. which comes in 243, 6.5cm, and 260 with dbm and its on the target action.

I have owned probably a dozen savage accutrigger models and they have all been shooter, but haven't read any reports on this one. to me this seems like the perfect budget competition rifle and i am thinking of getting one just to have for a backup/wife for my rifle to play with.

thoughts???

link to one for reference

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=244591196

Re: Savage LRP???

Don't know about those calibers but I own one in 223.
    It performs as well and as accurately as any custom I've ever owned.

Team Send it
    I have been eyeballing the same thing, I have been looking at the 260, I did a Google search and found one for $890 with free shipping. I really like how the ejector port is closed, (like the TRG) but I haven't seen any range reports.
    I think you need one.
    LOL.
    SScott

I have one in 22-250 and its a very good shooter with 55gr V-Max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Team Send it
    I have been eyeballing the same thing, I have been looking at the 260, I did a Google search and found one for $890 with free shipping. I really like how the ejector port is closed, (like the TRG) but I haven't seen any range reports.
    I think you need one.
    LOL.
    SScott</div></div>

Well on the bright side there is a pretty good chance I will buy one in 260 before t o long, just out of curiosity.

I own a LRPV in 223 RT load RT eject. MK-4 6.5x20. With rounds loaded on a progressive loader 1/2 MOA all day long

There was just a feature article in one of the magazines this month that gave this rifle in 6.5 creedmoor glowing reviews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Randfal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the barrels CM or just coated Stainless? </div></div>
    I just picked up Peterson's "Rifleshooter" July/Aug issue, and it states that it is a 26" fluted CM barrel.
    .....Very tempting.....
    SScott

my best friends just picked up the Model 12 LRP in 6.5 CM. That thing is a beast! It weighs in at 11 lbs. unloaded/un-scoped and no bipod...However, shooting it is too much fun! It actually has the target accutrigger which, I believe, goes from about 8 oz to 1.5 lbs...very light! Beautiful rifle for a factory rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my best friends just picked up the Model 12 LRP in 6.5 CM. That thing is a beast! It weighs in at 11 lbs. unloaded/un-scoped and no bipod...However, shooting it is too much fun! It actually has the target accutrigger which, I believe, goes from about 8 oz to 1.5 lbs...very light! Beautiful rifle for a factory rig. </div></div>

I ordered that exact rifle on Friday to go play at the longer yardage range with my cousin that is having a .338 Lapua custom built.

My father has one in .243, and loves it. We've shot steel out to 1000 yards with it, and it's spot on. It's very similar to my LRPV, except it's not stainless and has the detachable box magazine. Weight and balance is pretty much identical to the LRPV. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I didn't already have the LRPV.

Tag!

Been checking these out, does the target accutrigger have the same lock up tendencies of the regular one? The people that have one have you ran the bolt hard, or in any matches?

excuse me, my pal corrected me...target accutrigger goes from 6 oz to 1.5 lbs. "GET IT RIGHT DAMNIT!" he said. I just gave him the magazine (it has the M12 LRP on the cover). As much as I would love to have it, I need to just hold on to what I have and continue to shoot and improve with those calibers (.223/.308) until they are no longer challenging.

I have two rifles with the savage target accutrigger. I cannot get either to go to 6oz-8oz reliably. If you don't lower the bolt very gently, they'll trip. If you hold the trigger forward when cocking you can make it work. But then the safety shoe in the trigger is the problem. It takes too much effort to try pull it back without rubbing the trigger and tripping it, much less try holding it while steadying on a target. To help, I lighten (shortened) the shoes spring and polished the shoe's sides and the sides of the slot in the trigger. I can still only get 12oz reliably with only a rare "trip" when operating the bolt fast. I still like the triggers though. They are very safe trigger if you're running them light.

These are sweet lookin and the price is right. I am looking at getting 1 in 260. Of the 3 calibers offered, which would be the best dedicated 1000 yard shooter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremybj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are sweet lookin and the price is right. I am looking at getting 1 in 260. Of the 3 calibers offered, which would be the best dedicated 1000 yard shooter? </div></div>
    As I recall, they offer them in .243, 260, and 6.5CM. All three would make great tactical rifles. I would prefer the 6.5mm because of the larger bullet and it will make a bigger sound when you hit the steel. Ask a different person and you will get a different answer.
    For me, I would prefer the 260, as I reload, but thats just me.
    Good luck on your choice,
    SScott

I bought one in a 22-250 and rebarreled it with a lilja chambered in 22-250AI. If you take that stupid spring saftey off the trigger it breaks around 8 oz.

Yeah, I think 260 rem is what I'm going to go with, I guess the Creedmoor brass is kinda spendy and hard to come by. I guess ill add 1 of these to the short list.(which is getting way too long)

i debated the 260/CM a lot before i got the 260...

+
    CM is a great case
    CM has great factory ammo "but i load my own"

-
    CM brass "can" be hard to find
    no cheep brass
    not tons of load data

+
    260 brass can be made from once fired 308/7-08/243 CHEAP
    lots of data out