• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII BTV

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hey guys, Ive been looking at getting a heavy barreled savage 22 for a few weeks now. Ive shopped around and Ive got it down to 2 models. Id like the solid weight and feel of the wooden or laminate stocks of the bv and btv. I have handled a BTVS in person and I found it very comfortable. I also got a chance to mess with the FT. It was ok but the BTVS balanced better and weighed more. The BTVS just felt like a centerfire rifle the FT felt toyish.

I havent seen a BV in person and I can rule it out but I would prefer a thumbhole stock.

The other thing it finding one at a decent price. Ive only seen 2 BTVs, both in dicks, one was 350 the other was 420ish. The 350$ one was in 17hmr and the 420$ one was in 22lr. Im sorry but im not paying 450$ for a savage. If im gonna spend that kind of money Ill save and get a CZ or even something better.

I looked at buds and they have a good price. 354$ for the blued model. Ive never done an FFL transfer and I have heard sketchy things about budsgunshop. Ive got quotes from several local shops all around 400 dollars, but after tax thats 430$.

So should I try buds? I cant find any used.

Thanks

Re: Savage MKII BTV

Ive ordered from buds before and never heard any trouble. As with any online ordering. inspect the firearm extensively before filling out any paperwork.

Thanks guys.

So if I get screwed by buds can I just refuse the transfer and have the FFL holder ship the rifle back?

Buds won't screw you.

But... go to your local shop, ask 'em what they'd really charge and mention that you can order from Buds and get some other FFL to xfer it for $20...

Or do what I did for my 22 magnum - I got a FV for $200 via a FFL friend ($10 xfer, wholesale cost). And then I scored a BTV stock from Boyds for $50. And then the DIP bottom metal for $50. So $300 in it. My Mk II BTV in 22lr I got at a gunshow, paid $275 cash.

I really wish I could find one for around 300, but it looks like its going to be closer to 400. Alot more than I want to spend for a 22.

cpt., per our PMs, i'm also looking into the marlin 22xtvr (syn. stock and heavy barrel.) i got a quote at my local toy store for $205.00.

after tinkering with a marlin 925 sporter barrel that shot almost as well as the savage heavy barrel, i have confidence that the marlin heavy barrel model is going to out do the savage mkii heavy barrels. plus the xtvr comes with a good feeling stock and the adjustable profire trigger.

seems like the best deal out there for rimfire bolts under 300.00

i will probably placing that order on Dec 26th after cash and gift certificates are unwrapped the day before.

Im really considering the idea of getting an FV and then a boyds thumbhole stock and bottom metal trigger guard later.

you won't be disappointed by the gun or ordering from buds. I've ordered 4 guns from them and I always use my check acct to pay so i don't have to pay taxes or shipping(granted it will take you about a week to get the gun this way) Never had an issue and all my guns have been flawless an not a singel problem yet. I've put over 3000rnds through my btv wll over 5000rnds through my 1911 and still not a hickup. They're not getting junk refurbished guns to sell low price they are good to go.

Well I ordered one today from jet guns, they were cheaper than buds. Got to go talk to the local ffl tomorrow.