• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage model 110 tactical heavy barrel stock help.

Postal0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Tampa, FL
My father picked up a used Savage 110 tactical heavy barrel some years back. This is a pre-accutrigger model.

Since the rifle is a good shooter, dad decided to upgrade it and picked up a new Zeiss scope and a Bell&Carlson stock. This stock:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=913677

Here is the problem, the barrel channel in the stock is too small for the heavy barrel on this old Savage rifle. The barrel touches each side of the channel.

What stock recommendations do you have for an old heavy barrel Savage?

Re: Savage model 110 tactical heavy barrel stock help.

Kevin at Stockade will fix you up right. I bought one of his woodchuck models for a Savage I built several years ago and couldn't be happier. Nice guy, too.
Stockade Gun Stocks

Just open up the barrel channel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just open up the barrel channel. </div></div>

A significant amount of material would have to be removed, and currently there is enough flex in the stock that if the rifle were to be rested on something the forend would flex up and touch the barrel.

Not going to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just open up the barrel channel. </div></div>

this ^, it's not hard to do at all.

I am using a choate tactical, I know it is not the best but with the limited choices for a savage long action you won't have many choices unless going fully custom. I like mine only complaint was the butt portion of the stock was hollow so I filled mine with epoxy leaving room for the adjustble butstock. look on tactical works website. they are a great company as long as it is not backordered.

I've had good luck with the Choate as well and the barrel channel has plenty of room for my barrel.

You can open up the barrel channel and Bed the stock it should have pillars in it already. I did this the other night. Turned out good. And another good point was mentiond above"fill the butstock with epoxy" this helps balance the rifle so it dosnt feel to nose heavy. However the duramax i have didnt have alot of play when it wasnt bedded, and has even less now.
good luck

My B&C medalist has not problem at all with my full bull barrel (aka 1" all the way down the channel) I would just return it and upgrade to the medalist which is a better stock anyway. Then you're set.

Good luck,
Merritt