• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

savage predator .260 accuracy problem

Mxracer532

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2013
WA State
Guys I need help, I loaded up some 140gn Bergers with H-4350 and could not get them to shoot worth a crap. 2+" groups at 100.
Loads were 41.5 gns of h-4350, WLRM primers, 2.95 C.O.L (into the lands) 42gns same C.O.L.
also same charges just changed C.O.L to 2.92 (just off the lands) dont have a way to measure actual distance off lands. It seemed like both loads and C.O.L didnt change accuracy virtually at all.
No pressure signs with any of the loads. Any ideas????

I also shot a group with factory Barnes 120gn TSX's and they were slightly better. 1.5"+ groups.
I was planning on using this .260 on my back country spring bear hunt in a month but with the poor accuracy my Gordy Gritters built Remington .243 is going. Easy .5" 5 shot groups at 100 with 95gn Berger VLDS at 3136fps.

Have you done a ladder test? Or an OCW test to determine where to narrow down your powder charge to what your gun likes? How did you come up with the 41.5 & 42gr? Maybe check out Erik Cortinas thread on accurateshooter.com reloading section titled "long range load development at 100yds". The rifle should shoot given a chance, Good luck.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Honestly I just read a bunch of other peoples load data and then went and loaded some up and seated the bullets to the lands then backed off a touch on 10 diff rounds at a diff charge.
What would you suggest? At 42gns and touching the lands it showed no pressure signs.

Sounds to me like the rifle doesn't like the load YOU picked for it. Thats why I don't by shoes for my girlfriend.

Do a ladder test. See what happens then. Do an OCW. See what happens then. I'd wager you will find a better load right quick with either method.

Pressure may not be an issue so much as what the rifle likes. Find a good powder charge, then find a good seating depth imho.

I've always used standard rifle primers in my .260 Remington... so my suggestion is try something milder than the WLRM. Yeah, I know it's hard to find primers lately!

Loading for my sons Savage Predator Max 1 in 260 I found its node with 140gr Bergers Hybrids at 42.5gr H4350 at 2,740fps. Base to ogive measures 2.2125". Accuracy is right at 1/2 MOA. I'm sure I can find another node with higher velocity but right now there is no need.

You really need to do some studying on reloading. You went with a lottery pick of what someone else does and failed. Go look at how Berger recommends finding a load that will work for your rifle. I will bet a years pay it doesn't say go to SH and throw a dart at something and hope it works. Next thing to do is get the tools you need to do it correctly. They make tools to measure everything possible. Some of them are not inexpensive some are. If were easy everyone would do it. If you want easy then go buy a bunch of different brand bullets and see what shoots best. It may not even be a 140 grain that does. As that goes just cuz you want to shoot a 140 Berger doesn't mean your rifle will.