• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage shooters call out for advice....

SuburbanHick

SOF338
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2011
somewhere wearing camo (tx?)
A good friend of mine has a savage 110... he wants to up grade the barrel and stock on it... after some work on google it seems like mcgowen barrel seems to make good barrels...
but i figured it would be work asking you guys... who makes top of the line pre fit barrels for savage???

Criterion, Shilen, McGowen, ER Shaw, Pac-Nor, even Rock Creek makes prefits these days.

I have two Criterions and like them a lot, but plenty of McGowens are shooters too.

First choice would be Rock Creek, then Criterion, Shilen. Criterions shoot well and Nothland Shooters supply has a variety of calibers and barrel contours.

Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply sells lots and lots of Savage prefit barrels. Maybe you oughtta call him and see what he's got to say?

Having had that conversation with him before, I'm pretty confident he'll direct you to Criterion.

My sample size of 2 of the Criterion prefits has been 100% positive. They shoot great.

I have had 4 mcgowens and they were all great, but the last barrel I bought was a lothar walther prefit in 1/8 twist 243 and it has very accurate and easier to clean than the mcgowens.

I like my CBI 1/8 twist 6mm barrel. Northland Shooting Supply for the prefit hookup is my reccomendation.

I have a 20" CBI varmint taper in 223 and it is insanely accurate. It shoots everything from 40 gr to 75 gr well. It is also the easiest barrel to clean and it never has copper in it. A buddy of mine had a McGowan and the story was the same for him. Not sure you can go wrong with any quality prefit. By the way both barrels came from Jim and Northland.

Criterion, Shilen, McGowen, ER Shaw, Pac-Nor, even Rock Creek makes prefits these days.

I have two Criterions and like them a lot, but plenty of McGowens are shooters too.

have just installed a ER Shaw for a buddy, i would not recommend... while the barrel shoots well, honestly, it dont look any better then the factory tube.. the bore dont look lapped at all, and the finish looks cheep

Jim at NSS will be able to get you what ever you need. He is a great guy and knows his stuff about Savages. I've bought 2 shilen pre-fits from him and they are both great shooters. I've got no complaints with the barrels or NSS.

Northland shooters supply

I Run shilen select stainless natch barrels on all my savages the varmint contour is on my 260rem and I have run it to 1250yds no problem
Have built another 260 using the heavy contour shillen select stainless match and it runs great as well

I have a criterion in 30-06 and it is a great shooter. Jim Briggs is a great guy to deal with. He answered any and all my questions I had for him

Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply

Many manufacturers make quality prefits. I personally wouldn't buy a ER Shaw, although I know people that are satisfied with them.

As others have mentioned, giving Jim Briggs a call at NSS would be a great idea. He is sometimes a little hard to get ahold of, but he is very knowledgeable and carries a variety of manufacturers. His prices a very competitive to what else is out there. He also carries the action wrench and the barrel nut wrench (among other things) that you will need to swap the barrel out.