• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage target action

kish

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio
Planning on building a fairly accurate budget rifle in a .223 bolt action. Looking at the savage action because it appears to be easy to rebarrel with minimal tools. Maybe a shilen barrel . Dont know about a stock yet. Anyone have any input on the savage action or barrel selection Just shooting paper and maybe a ground hog or two

Most of the Savage actions are better then the Remy loving, Savage trash talkers on this site would have you believe. Good choice for a starting build and you can always re-barrel later easily if you get bored of the first set up.

Take a look at the Stevens 200 rifles as well. Same rifle as Savage but does not have accutrigger and has a different stock.

I just put one together for my young son to use. Bought a used rifle for 275, changed caliber, involved trading bolt head/magazine and barrel. Bought takeoff parts (barrel brand new) and sold what I didn't need. Has a brand new Leupold VX-1 2-7 and we have right at 500 in it.

It takes about as long to get my tools out and put back up as it takes to do the job.

And it shoots 1/2" with 65 grain SGK's.

I would stick with the small shank barrel, there's a ton of them out there.

I'm a Savage junkie and have several. They are incredibly easy to work on and barrel swaps are a breeze. They are also inherently accurate due to the floating bolt head. I have them in .223, 22-250, 308 and I'm now building a .260. I just posted one of my 3 .308's for sale to fund my next one. I just last week took it to 1025 yards with ease. Freakin awesome rifles for the $$$.

FYI only the target actions, LRP/LRPV and short magnums use the large shank. The majority are small shank. No better or worse between them as far as accuracy or longevity. Just a few 1,000ths bigger threaded shank.

I'd also recommend buying a stevens 200. Get the same bolt you intend on using. Then a Criterion barrel, a rifle basix trigger, and stock of choice.

thanks everyone for your input. as soon as i sell my howa i am moving forward with a build

I'd also recommend buying a stevens 200. Get the same bolt you intend on using. Then a Criterion barrel, a rifle basix trigger, and stock of choice.
Is the Rifle Basix trigger better then the target accutrigger?

Target Accutrigger is excellent. Don't set the weight too low, or it might decock before firing.

If you go with a stevens it doesn't come with an accutrigger. And yes RB sav-2 is better. And that is coming from someone that loves an accutrig. I found it more economical to start with a stevens for my 6.5CM build. Locally a new stevens was 275 and target action was 420. Cheaper model 10 with the correct boltface was in the low 400s. Easy decision considering the only thing im using is the action and bolt. The rest will be for sell to help recoupe.

Consider using Jim at NSS for parts. I had great luck with him. Highly recommended on Savageshooters.com. I purchased a criterion 26" fluted barrel with a custom contour and threading on the end for an Ops Inc suppressor, billet barrel nut, billet oversize recoil lug, sav2 trigger (down to 4oz IIRC), action vise, and barrel nut wrench

Savage is a great way to go. especially for a do it your selfer. Rem is also good. but you need a gunsmith lol....

The Savage Target Action, is NOT the same action as the Stevens, or the 10 or 110, not even close. Go up the Savage web page for specs. Accurateshooter.com has a write-up on "custom actions", and they include the Savage Target Action. Bud's Gun Shop has several for sale now.

There are options out there for repeater target actions, as well as single shot actions. I would definitely recommend the repeaters to build from.

DK

Plus one on the Stevens. If you find a shop with a couple, make sure you cycle the bolts on each one before buying. I work on a lot of Savage and every now and then I find one that is sooo creamy smooth that you would think it came out of a custom shop. I have a Stevens action on one of my PD guns and every time I run the bolt I feel like having a cigarette. ;)

They are definitely not all like that though, so it pays to try a couple.

Here are a couple of pictures of my target action repeater:

I wound up trading it for two cans and cash, but I wish I still had it!

Here's a company that I've have ordered Savage barrels through: Barrels

This is a build I did based on the Stevens 200:

Big +1 on Jim Briggs at NSS. Great guy to deal with, just use the telephone. He runs a small operation and talking is the best way to order from him. Savageshooters is a great resource, especially if you are a paid member and have access to the classifieds.

Careful though, building your own gets to be addictive.

Big +1 on Jim Briggs at NSS. Great guy to deal with, just use the telephone. He runs a small operation and talking is the best way to order from him. Savageshooters is a great resource, especially if you are a paid member and have access to the classifieds.

Careful though, building your own gets to be addictive.

THis shooting thing has become very addictive building will bring it to a whole new level!

I noticed the target action didn't have a barrel nut..... so you cant set the barrel yourself.....hmmmm.. if you are going to have to take it to a gunsmith to have it built then why not go with Surgeon, Bighorn or Stiller???? So you can use Badger bottom metal?

I noticed the target action didn't have a barrel nut..... so you cant set the barrel yourself.....hmmmm.. if you are going to have to take it to a gunsmith to have it built then why not go with Surgeon, Bighorn or Stiller???? So you can use Badger bottom metal?

Target action has barrel nut.

There are repeaters. The LRP stock rifle is a repeater.

Thinking about a 10TR in 308 or maybe a 10PC and set it up with switch barrels. Is the 10TR or PC a small shank or large shank barrel.

I vote for the Stevens 200 as well. You can sell off the stock and barrell to put towards your build.

Here is mine in 308.

10 shot group at 100 yards.

Does anyone know if the Stevens 200 .223 action fits the XLR Chassis? I was looking to buy a Savage 10FP-SR but decided I would rather get something like the Stevens 200 since I plan to change the barrel, stock and trigger anyway.

Does anyone know if the Stevens 200 .223 action fits the XLR Chassis? I was looking to buy a Savage 10FP-SR but decided I would rather get something like the Stevens 200 since I plan to change the barrel, stock and trigger anyway.

Yes. Talk to Kyle at XLR. He'll hook you up.

In case you're not aware, there are two different bolt patterns on Savage short actions (4.27 and 4.41), and two different bolt releases (top, and front of trigger guard). Each variation requires a different stock or chassis.

You can pick up used actions for under $400, and some will already have an upgraded trigger.

Also, remember that you only have to switch out the bolt-head to go from .223 to .308 class cartridges, not buy a whole new bolt like on a Rem gun.

My stevens 200 will be sitting in an XLR carbon chassis monday.

I was in your boat a couple of years ago. I built one off of a used Savage 10 action for more of a tactical build. I put it in an HS precision stock with a mil-dot sightron sIII. It shoots great. I also put together one for a bench rest type of rig where I put it in a target stock and have a 1" bull barrel on it. Depending on what your looking for the Savage 10 has more available stocks as the target stock as 3 action screws. Either way you can't go wrong with either. Good luck on your build.

Mine is not a target action but a Model 16 stainless weather warrior. Same as model 10-12 and Stevens 200. Just know your screw spacing for the right Chassis. I swap out .260, .308, .223 and 22-250 barrels on this rifle Chassis. Just dope your scope for zero - no issues. Here it is in 22-250 mode. 26" McGowen 1:8 bull fluted by Kampfield.

image_zpsfcd00c2f.jpg

Mine is not a target action but a Model 16 stainless weather warrior. Same as model 10-12 and Stevens 200. Just know your screw spacing for the right Chassis. I swap out .260, .308, .223 and 22-250 barrels on this rifle Chassis. Just dope your scope for zero - no issues. Here it is in 22-250 mode. 26" McGowen 1:8 bull fluted by Kampfield.

image_zpsfcd00c2f.jpg

Oooh...pretty...I hope to do much the same. The best thing about the XLR is I can adjust it to size for my kids