• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage thread protector?

ColoWyo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2005
Elizabeth, Colorado
So I finally ran across a Savage BTVS for some cheaper practice. I am going to get the barrel threaded for my can but have a feeling that my local smith might not be able to make a thread protector for it.

What are you guys using? I was looking at Tacsol muzzle break. Forty bucks, but no sure which one. Might just not worry about it unless somebody has a good idea.

Thanks.

Re: Savage thread protector?

Most rimfire cans are 1/2x28.
This is the same as on a threaded AR15.

You may look into a flash hider for a .223 AR15 for a less expensive option.

I'd be sort of wary of a smith who will thread a barrel but can't make a thread protector for it.

( remember the smith has to thread in relation to the bore, not the outside diameter.)

I have a TS brake in the parts box. I will toss it in my range bag and bring it with me to th next PD match. Its yours.

Any "gunsmith" who can't make a thread protector sure as hell isn't going to thread my barrel! Barrel threading takes attention to detail to get it straight and aligned. Making a protector is a 10 minute job.

A lot of people assume that a gunsmith is a machinist, but many are just mechanics. You would be better off taking the gun to a machine shop.

Teryx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teryx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Any "gunsmith" who can't make a thread protector sure as hell isn't going to thread my barrel! Barrel threading takes attention to detail to get it straight and aligned. Making a protector is a 10 minute job.

A lot of people assume that a gunsmith is a machinist, but many are just mechanics. You would be better off taking the gun to a machine shop.

Teryx </div></div>

I don't consider someone that calls themself a "gunsmith" to be one unless they are a competent machinist with manual operations. If they can't drive a lathe and a mill they're just a hack, I can spin an allen key tight in my living room, does that mean I'm a gunsmith too?

I can run a machine, I've built my own stuff, I consider myself competent, but nothing like some of the pro's on here.

Mounting a scope and dropping in a trigger doesn't make a 'smith. If they can't make a thread protector or thread a barrel, etc. they're generally useless.

Thanks guys. I didn't think about the threads being the same as an AR. That would open up a lot of options.

Hoser, thanks for the offer. I'll buy you some beers if we ever get a chance.