• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage tupperware...

cheddar

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Madison, WI.
Hey guys, I've been reading about how shotty the 10FP rifles stocks are. I have not shot mine yet so I don't know how it'll behave. I was wondering if it would be worth skim bedding or pilar bedding this stock. It certainly could be a little nicer on my NPA but I don't have the cash for a new stock. If I'm not mistaken, a skim bedding job can be done for less than $40? Give me some input as I don't want to waste my time if it wont pay off. Thanks!

Re: Savage tupperware...

They are decent and come pillar bedded. I'm looking to upgrade mine even though it is still unfired. I did bondo the checkering and paint it, though.

Before
cimg3189.jpg

After
cimg3198.jpg

They are pillar bedded from Savage? Guess I didn't catch that when I had it apart. Mine isn't the accustock if it matters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheddar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I've been reading about how shotty the 10FP rifles stocks are. I have not shot mine yet so I don't know how it'll behave. I was wondering if it would be worth skim bedding or pilar bedding this stock. It certainly could be a little nicer on my NPA but I don't have the cash for a new stock. If I'm not mistaken, a skim bedding job can be done for less than $40? Give me some input as I don't want to waste my time if it wont pay off. Thanks! </div></div>

Is yours one of the new centerfeed models with the accu-stock?

Savage has been pillar bedding their FP series rifles for years...
long before the accustock...and even with the crappy stock, every one of mine has been an MOA or better rifle out of the box. Just torque the action screws and go shoot the thing...

There are certainly better stocks out there for the Savage and I have replaced every one of mine, and only ended up making a good shooting rifle even better. But don't sell the rifle short based on hearsay...

Yeah, I'm dying to shoot it. I worked for a Chrysler dealer that got the axe. Now money is scarce. What does everyone use for torqueing(sp?) everything. I have seen good and bad things about the "FAT" wrench. Anyone want to trade a nice Mac FT/LB torque wrench for an IN/LB?

so who makes stocks for the new centerfeed models? And ide say yours is a centerfeed cheddar, mine looks just like the one above and its centerfeed. It just means they dont stagger in the magazine.

Biggest problem is the weak forearm. If you put a bipod on they may contact the barrel.
On one of the Savages I had I channeled the area under the barrel and epoxied in a pushrod from a v-8. Stiffened the forend up nicely on the cheap.

Get a Choate Tactical A5 stock, Savage DBM bottom metal and convert it to a DBM rifle. You can probably buy the bottom metal from Savage. It would probably be cheaper to sale your rifle and buy the Savage 10FCP with Choate A5 stock. Cabela's is the only one that has them, price $650. That's a deal.

GC

It cost me 200 to get my B&C skim bedded, but everything is expensive in AK. Just something to think about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It cost me 200 to get my B&C skim bedded, but everything is expensive in AK. Just something to think about. </div></div>

I was thinking of doing the bed job myself so the only cost would be materials.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a Choate Tactical A5 stock, Savage DBM bottom metal and convert it to a DBM rifle. You can probably buy the bottom metal from Savage. It would probably be cheaper to sale your rifle and buy the Savage 10FCP with Choate A5 stock. Cabela's is the only one that has them, price $650. That's a deal.

GC

</div></div>

This is a descent idea. Does Cabelas sell guns online. I dont seem them listed there?

...or try the Bell and Carlsen #2999 stock for about $200.00.
I don't waste a moment tossing those tupperware stocks in the trash can.

send me all of your unwanted tupperware. i love the so called "plaster disaster" stock and wouldnt mind having a few extra for my paint fetish. ive been seeing sub moa from my "trash" plastic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a descent idea. Does Cabelas sell guns online. I dont seem them listed there?</div></div>

You can give them a call.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">send me all of your unwanted tupperware. i love the so called "plaster disaster" stock and wouldnt mind having a few extra for my paint fetish. ive been seeing sub moa from my "trash" plastic. </div></div>
Sorry, man. Too late for the two I used to own.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">send me all of your unwanted tupperware. i love the so called "plaster disaster" stock and wouldnt mind having a few extra for my paint fetish. ive been seeing sub moa from my "trash" plastic. </div></div>

What do you do with them(if anything)? I woulodn't mind keep the factory stock.

I trashed my Savage 10 plastic stock today for a B&C Medalist. After, I bondo'd it, sanded, primed, and painted the factory stock, it just looked like such a turd (I fully blame myself), I took it off and ordered the replacement.

They do flex with a bi-pod on them, didn't hurt the groups from mine though. You can take a piece of aluminum 1/4" angle, cut to fit the ribs in the forestock, drill some holes in the angle, and epoxy in place, cheap fix.

Or you can go to brownells.com and pick up a choate stock of your choice pretty cheap. blue

With proper handloads, I found the older plastic stocks could be made to shoot well under 1/2MOA at 200yd off a bench and bipod. I think a lot of the problem may have been related to ammo and technique. Yes, the forends were pretty springy, but I never had a problem with barrel contact, and as long as I was consistent, so was the accuracy.

I recently saw the latest Model 10 with the HS stock and it impressed me very favorably, as does the new Accue-Stock concept.

Greg

Ok, so I got the stock today and it is just amazing. I am really floored by how nice it. It dropped in and everything fit like a glove. The only thing I did was drill a hole for the rear trigger guard screw. The barrel gap is equal on both sides the whole way down. The safety tang mates perfectly and the bolt handle clears. The recoil pad is even nice and soft.

cimg3230.gif

I've got a Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x50mm on the way. I got it for $233 shipped. The vendor has one left for sale, send me a message and I can show you where.

I just made a similar post in a similar thread...but has anyone put a new Savage 10 FCP-K, centerfeed DBM and accustock model, into a McRees Stock system...I am looking forward to doing this and was hoping someone could share some feedback...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arnygollott3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just made a similar post in a similar thread...but has anyone put a new Savage 10 FCP-K, centerfeed DBM and accustock model, into a McRees Stock system...I am looking forward to doing this and was hoping someone could share some feedback... </div></div>

IIRC i dont think Mcrees is making a stock for the gen 3 savage's yet.

But with that said i have been wrong before.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arnygollott3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just made a similar post in a similar thread...but has anyone put a new Savage 10 FCP-K, centerfeed DBM and accustock model, into a McRees Stock system...I am looking forward to doing this and was hoping someone could share some feedback... </div></div>

But with that said I have been wrong before....... </div></div>

I too get confused with all the variations. What is the difference in DBM stocks with centerfeed? I've been fondling a 22" fluted bull Savage package at Dicks. The tag says it is a 10FCPXP and if I get it I want to replace the stock with an H-S PSV118. It comes with the synthetic Accustock and cheap scope. It also has the bolt release on the trigger guard by the magazine well as opposed to the right side of the receiver. The screws are 4.40" apart.

H-S stock for Savage http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-403/aluminum-bedded-savage-stock/Detail

PSV118 Savage 12, 10FP Heavy Barrels, 4.40" Screw Spacing, Detachable / Hinged Magazine version.

This stock won't work if mag is centerfeed?

Also, see this: 10 FCP explained on 1911 forums

It appears I would have to widen the trigger guard area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arnygollott3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just made a similar post in a similar thread...but has anyone put a new Savage 10 FCP-K, centerfeed DBM and accustock model, into a McRees Stock system...I am looking forward to doing this and was hoping someone could share some feedback... </div></div>

But with that said I have been wrong before....... </div></div>

I too get confused with all the variations. What is the difference in DBM stocks with centerfeed? I've been fondling a 22" fluted bull Savage package at Dicks. The tag says it is a 10FCPXP and if I get it I want to replace the stock with an H-S PSV118. It comes with the synthetic Accustock and cheap scope. It also has the bolt release on the trigger guard by the magazine well as opposed to the right side of the receiver. The screws are 4.40" apart.

H-S stock for Savage http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-403/aluminum-bedded-savage-stock/Detail

PSV118 Savage 12, 10FP Heavy Barrels, 4.40" Screw Spacing, Detachable / Hinged Magazine version.

This stock won't work if mag is centerfeed?

Also, see this: 10 FCP explained on 1911 forums

It appears I would have to widen the trigger guard area. </div></div>
Want to bring this back. I was lookn at this same gun at Dicks and was lookn for info on it too. Is the DBM different from other Savages and is it an Accustock? $699 seems to be an ok price, plus I have some Dicks $ from a Remmy I got there.
Thanks,E.

I think the DBM is the same for all Model 10 and 11 Savages in .308 Win. I haven't seen anything that says otherwise.

I finally purchased that Savage from Dicks. <span style="font-weight: bold">The stock IS NOT a true Accustock as I had previously thought. It has no aluminum spine, wedge, and has the normal recoil lug.</span> Externally it looks like one but once I took it apart, I now realize this is tupperware. It does have the larger width trigger guard. Looks like I will be buying an HS stock after all. I would prefer not to mod an expensive stock (widen trigger guard area) but their Savage selection is limited. I'll shoot them an email to be sure. I think olive color with the black spider webbing would be cool. It certainly looks nice on the Remington 700 XCRs.

Right now I am trying to find off the shelf match ammo that it likes. So far I've only tried Malaysian 150 gr FMJ surplus, Black Hills 168 gr. match ammo, and 175 gr. match ammo. It is shooting best with the 175 gr match ammo. I will try other brands and bullet weights come the spring time, as I don't want to waste expensive ammo until I change out the stock with something more solid than the tupperware. I must admit, that soft recoil pad sure helps to dampen the recoil on my shoulder.

What post is complete without a gratuitous picture?

HPIM0917.jpg

A varmint bolt mod from AZPrecision is in order when there is down time from shooting this winter.

Take a look at Stockade gun stocks. Kevin built a 260 for me with the V-Bull bottom metal. It is friggin AWSOME! The cheapest part was the stock. You can get the varmit/tactical stock out of the mould for $230.00. Finish yourself and a rattle can paint job and have a great stock. I was very happy with the work and am trying to send as much business his way as I can. Mine is the one closest to the camera.
Patrick
P7181596.jpg

+1 for the Cabela's $600 10Fp with Choate A5 stock.

Suprisingly the Choate is a pretty decent stock, I have no complaints. I weighted this one with lead shot that brought it up to 18lbs. I had a time finding a load that it liked but found success with 45.0gr Varget and a 168 SMK.

Another gratuitous pic
blush.gif

IMG_1470.jpg

MeasuredSavageGroup.jpg

I think the one I saw today had a different stock. It had checkering on the forearm. What did u pay? Was the scope a Tasco?
Thanks,E.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eman308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the one I saw today had a different stock. It had checkering on the forearm. What did u pay? Was the scope a Tasco?
Thanks,E. </div></div>

$699 and it came with a cheap $70 Tasco World Class 3-9X40 mildot, 1" Weaver rings, and mounts.

Also see my correction in the previous post. This is not a true Accustock as it has no aluminum spine.

What are the stock torque specs?

Thanks Scott