• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Save money with older model?

kimberyote

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
madison county illinois
I am wanting what everyone wants. A great tracking scope for cheap. My question is, can a person say go with a older scope that has a great track record for tracking and reliability and save money by getting a older model scope? A S&B, Nightforce, etc? It doesn’t have to be the latest/greatest. If so, how old and what Brand?
I am trying to get above my Leupold VX3 tracking issues.
Thx in advance.

I suppose the natural answer is: sure. Some scopes, like the two brands you mention, generally hold their value well, so I would not anticipate a big savings. The S&B DT P4F and the SHV have done as well in holding value (or I should say price, they are still a great value).

Where should you look... Maybe NXS as it is 2nd FP. My guess is that Kahles 6-24x AMG will lose some value in a few months when the more modern 525 comes out, and the AMG reticle never really hit its stride. It has a niche following. I would avoid Vortex. Anything that is not current generation Razor or PST is missing the quality. Same with last generation Bushnell and Burris. Leupold Mark 4 has a bright spot here and there, but many of those scopes trade at a premium for the military correct factor. Mark 6 is holding good value. The Leupold Patrol is a reasonable scope that can be had cheap. Last Gen Steiner Military might be a place to look. I think there was a 3-12x that is not made anymore.

As I ramble, I realize I am not being as helpful and insightful as I thought I would be. Keep an eye on the PX. Lots of good glass changing hands.

Reactions: kimberyote
The question is how much are you looking to spend?
Around the $2k to $2.5K the options are wide open, then it goes down from there.

So, a new scope comes out, that makes my old ERS no longer work?
It will no longer track, it will be blurry, and fragile. This all happens in my safe, the instant the next gen comes out.

Your short answer is, Yes, absolutely.

Long answer. Any of the last generation of decent scopes are still as good as they ever were and are sometimes available for decent prices. Some can even still be had brand new. Despite what has been said, the Vortex Gen I, the Nightforce NXS and even the early F1s are as good as they ever were. I still have an older HDMR that seems to work just as good as it ever did to help me hit what I'm aiming at. If you think about it, the S&B PMII is a last gen scope and I don't see them being kicked to the curb. These are all solid scopes with proven track records.

Are they as spiffy and neat, and yes even "as good" as the newest crop? No, I'd say not, but you won't miss your target and the scopes are still as good as they used to be. Also, as mentioned, the last gen Steiner military. Add the USO's and even the SWFA 5-20 HD. All workable solid scopes that can be had for less used. I wouldn't throw them out.

But then my realistic budget is talking.

Reactions: Gohring65
It really depends on brand and model.

The SB PM2s, Nightforce F1, and USO seem to not be getting any cheaper, but you can score some older SB non-PM, Vortex, SFP Nightforce, and leupolds at some awesome prices.