• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savvy Sniper Sling

Andrew Blubaugh

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2003
Ohio
A new gun shop opened up near by and as their inventory grew I continued to visit and check out their wares. As I was looking around I saw a sign that said "Savvy Sniper". My gut instinct told me to ignore and move on. Next visit, I saw a chunk of nylon slings decorated in fast-ex buckles and bungees and I ignored it... After all, I am a hardcore fan of the Vickers Sling and what the hell do I need an off brand sling for?

So somewhere along the way I linked the Savvy Sniper name with the slings I ignored and decided to look up the web site. I quickly found out that the Savvy Sniper was owned an operated by Brian Alford, a Sgt with a Sheriff's Dept about an hour away from where I work. I finally link up with Brian and get my hands on one of his slings for a T&E.

For the past few days I have been working with the newest Savvy Sniper Sling. The sling is not on the web site yet but I want to say it is "Quad Sling", either way this is the sling Brian suggest I look at. My intentions of testing and evaluating the sling are to replace my agencies current single point slings. Our current slings are Northeast Tactical Single Point Sling. I am not a huge fan of the single point sling primarily because it is a pain when you get hands on with someone the barrel beats the piss out of your legs and if you go to the ground the barrel goes into the ground. So my focus is on a two point configuration but I need to keep in mind my left handed officers and those of us who can and are willing to transition to our support side. To date the VTAC and Vickers Sling have been my primary focus but after 12 hours of training with the Savvy Sniper Sling I think I need to allow the troops to give their input on it as a contender for our patrol sling.

I played around with the sling on a RRA mid length AR15 with collapsible stock. It worked well and I tossed it on my SCAR 16S and liked it there as well. For some reason my pictures are primarily of the sling on the SCAR.

The sling is made of 1 inch tubular webbing, the stitching looks and feels stout.

100_1733.jpg

The sling I have has HK style hooks but it is my understanding the sling can be made with any hardware. The sling I have is used and one thing that concerned me was the gate on the HK style hooks had a bit of side to side travel. It did not hurt the operation of the sling but it did concern me as to the life expectancy of the hardware.
100_1734.jpg

This is a picture of the front HK hook and a piece of machined aluminium hardware with a loop near the center of the sling. This piece of hardware allows the shooter to unhook from the front attachment of the rifle and hook onto the loop making the sling go from a two point to single point. All this can be done with the sling on the shooter and takes only seconds. The aluminum hardware is not soft, I tried to bend it on the tailgate of my truck and was unable to. I almost want to believe this is an alloy and not 100% aluminum.

100_1739.jpg

My preferred method was to insert the hook into the loop and press the gate onto the loop. This allowed for a faster attachment and less need for good dexterity with gloves on or in cold weather.
100_1740.jpg

Donned in a two point configuration.
100_1742.jpg

Just like the Vickers and the VTAC the Savvy Sniper has a quick adjustment to tighten or loosen the sling while on the shooter. This operates just as fast as Vickers or VTAC.

[img:left]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/drew76000/100_1743.jpg[/img]

A few pictures of the hardware that allows the sling to adjust. The hardware is made of aluminum and is surprisingly stout. The nylon loop attached to the hardware is plenty big enough to grab with a few fingers and push or pull but I found it very natural to slip my thumb into the loop and push or pull to adjust. I had no problems finding the loop and never found myself searching for it.

100_1737.jpg

Backside of the hardware.

100_1736.jpg

Going from two point to single point. Once in the single point mode the sling has a fastex buckle which allows the shooter to detach from the weapon and keep the sling on their body. I like this feature for a multitude of reasons.

100_1744.jpg

100_1745.jpg

100_1746.jpg

My biggest complaint is when in the single point mode and the shooter lets go of the weapon it hangs way too low. I am 5'9" and the muzzle is at mid shin. Though this is a complaint I have with all single points.

100_1748.jpg

I need more time to formulate a strong opinion of the Savvy Sniper Sling but my initial response is that it is should not be ignored. The name turned me off but the more I use the sling the more I like it. It allowed me solid presentations and I was able to obtain a multitude of shooting positions. The cons so far are limited to how the weapon rides on the shooter in single point mode and there are two smaller plastic pieces of hardware that seem very strong but I tend to be leery of plastic hardware. With a retail of $40-$50 and an advertised LE discount I think it will compete with the rest of the slings on the market. The sling has a lot of potential and I am going to pick one up for my SCAR and continue to play with it. A few more weeks of the troops playing with it will decide if we go with the VTAC, Vickers or Savvy Sniper.

Re: Savvy Sniper Sling

It is NE Ohio and freaking cold. You want pool side pics you need to pony up some cash... I'll take pay pal or money order.

I picked up a Tac 1/2 from Brian about 8 months ago. I'm as far from "high speed, low drag" that you can get, but I've been impressed with the workmanship and utility of the sling so far. I don't have much use for the single point configuration, but the two point works similarly to my Vickers Tactical, so I'm happy in that regard. The "Quad" that you have for T/E seems to have some improvements over the Tac 1/2, I may have to keep my eye out for my next AR build. Thanks for the review and stay warm. This winter weather sucks balls.

Just finished up a week long range with this sling. My overall impression is that I like it and want to keep working with it. I had about half of my agency (right and left handed) work with it as well and tons of good feed back from the troops. With a strong division between wantinga single or two point sling the Savvy Sniper Sling allows for a true one size fits all scenario.

I recieved an email from Erin at Savvy Sniper. She indicated they were aware of the short comings I mentioned in my review and were in the process of making the changes. She also noted they are going to offer a more robust version with metal buckles. Not sure which buckle they intend on using but I am anxious to see a newer model. Though my current impression of the sling is that it is very robust as is. They seem to be off to a good start using good material (nexus buckles, machined slider and single point attachment) minus the HK style hooks which have too much play in the gate. I would like to see a better hook used and it is my impression that it is in the works.

I plan on using this sling for a little while longer and hopefully getting my hands on production version. To conclude, I would not hesistate on dropping the small amount of money on this sling for your carbine, subgun or shotgun. It is on par with the other 2 point slings on the market (VCAS or VTAC) and has a huge added bonus of going to single point mode when needed.

That seem alot like the Magpul MS2 sling.
It is the same concept as the MS2 but with different hardware. I looked at the MS2 on several occasions but can't get past the attachments. They seem a bit intricate. The MS2 is designed with the ASAP Sling Mount ($29.95) in mind. So to get the full potential out of the MS2 you need the ASAP Sling Mount.

My T&E for slings is for my PD and I have a budget. Unfortunately Magpul priced themselves out of contention. I am sure the product is tactically functional, I do question how robust the front sling attachment point is. Time will tell.