• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Saw a super old Unertal today for sale

VnCO

Sergeant
Minuteman
It was maybe 18" long, marked Unertal-Have seen some fellas here on the hide who have made some "era" specific guns and was just wondering on the price if these things?-I know there are some collectors out there that want these.

Price tag was $600, but I know he could go lower.

Just curious-Jimmy

Re: Saw a super old Unertal today for sale

The scope most are after is the 1 1/4" Combination Target scope that is essentially the same thing as the USMC 8x UNERTL that was first used during WWII. Unertl made that particular model for decades in 8x, 10x, 12x, and 14x, the overall length would be about 25" depending on where the parallax is set. The 1 1/4" is in reference to the objective diameter and is measured at the lens itself and not the ID of the sunshade, I have seen 1" scopes mistaken for 1 1/4" due to this miscalculation. The tube diameter would be .75" on this model. If the scope you saw was really about 18" it could have been one of the Varmint models or if the scope was .75" along the entire length then it would be the gallery scope often used on a .22lr. Almost any working Unertl in nice condition is going to be $500 on ebay, the last several 1 1/4" Combination Target scopes have closed at close to $1K or more.

Unertl made many, many different scopes. It all depends on the model, power and condition. A minty Small game model will bring $400, a real USMC 8X sniper with box, mint could be $5000.
Many Unertls on ebay, check it out.

I found one last summer tucked in the back of a gun shops cabinet.

Got it for a reasonable price. Didnt know what to do with it and eventually threw it on Ebay.

I was shocked when it ended up going to for like $2200 on Ebay. If I recall it was a 2" scope in 12x. Very clean in an old fitted wooden box with a variety of mounts.

Now I kind of wish I had kept it. I recently found a Winchester model 70 made in 1960. Would have been a fun package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found one last summer tucked in the back of a gun shops cabinet.

Got it for a reasonable price. Didnt know what to do with it and eventually threw it on Ebay.

I was shocked when it ended up going to for like $2200 on Ebay. If I recall it was a 2" scope in 12x. Very clean in an old fitted wooden box with a variety of mounts.

Now I kind of wish I had kept it. I recently found a Winchester model 70 made in 1960. Would have been a fun package. </div></div>

Damn.. did it say USMC on it?

No, it wasnt the USMC model.

I did enough research on it once I decided to let it go to know what to look for.

I expected it would sell for a few hundred more than I paid, but I was shocked to see it surpass $2K.

It was just one of those auctions where you had the required ingredients for a big number. That would be TWO people who decided they would own it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was just one of those auctions where you had the required ingredients for a big number. That would be TWO people who decided they would own it. </div></div>

Yeah.. It happens..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found one last summer tucked in the back of a gun shops cabinet.

Now I kind of wish I had kept it. I recently found a Winchester model 70 made in 1960. Would have been a fun package. </div></div>

You could buy two more such Unertl scopes for the money you earned on that auction. You were smart to sell it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found one last summer tucked in the back of a gun shops cabinet.

You could buy two more such Unertl scopes for the money you earned on that auction. You were smart to sell it.</div></div>

I agree that it was smart to move it, I was just pointing out that I had recently found a nice Pre 64 Winchester. It would have made a really awesome package.