• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SBR Optic Choice

PatrickChewing

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 28, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Afternoon guys,

I'm in the final stages of getting all my gear for my 10.5 Noveske SBR build. Everything is chosen but my optics. I have Eotechs on several rifles and I like them but this time around I want to try something different. I'm looking at the Aimpoint micros, CompM2, CompM3, Trijicon Reflex, and possible one of the Docter optics mini red dots. I see a lot of guys running the Docters as secondary sights but not sure about the pros and cons of using them as a primary.

I know there are a lot of 1-4,6,8 scopes out/coming out and I like the variable power idea.

I'm open to any recommendations you guys got! I don't have a set price in mind but I'm not planning on spending mega bucks on a short dot or other things in that $$$$ range.

Thanks for your time and help!

Re: SBR Optic Choice

I use a J-point in a Laruetactical mount on my Noveske mk 18 and use it everyday at work. The Aimpoint T-1 is a great choice, if you want magnification 1-4 Nightforce or Leupold work well. A few of my guys run the new Leupold on our entry work the new recticle is every nice. Just my two cents

if you plan to actually shoot it a lot, i'll advise against most variable power scopes on SBRs. the objective lens will get coated with carbon fairly quickly and you will have to clean it regularly. on a regular 16" it's not a problem, but with a 10" the longer scopes will put the lens too close to the muzzle.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I don't really have a preference on SFP or FFP. I'm looking more for a fast target picture.

I like where your heads at lazy!

Eotech! I have one on my Noveske 10.5 and others love it. That dot is nice and small to if you wanna magnify it.

I use an Aimpoint Micro on my 10.5 SBR. I would be just as happy with throwing my Vortex Viper PST 1-4 on there too.

Depends on how much weight you would be okay with adding to the system.

On my 11.5 I run a AImpoint Micro. You can still hit targets out to 300 pretty well. Steel plates and such. On my 12.5, I run an ACOG 3.5X35. I shoot this out to 500 and 600. Did yesterday! This may be my favorite optic. You can run it like a red dot, or shoot "more precision" oriented stuff at distance.

I would look to shoot some of both before deciding. Like always, depends on what you want to do. I do not like the 1-4 optics. Thats just me.

Thanks guys for all the input!

Looks like the aimpoint micro but Im still curious about the Docter. SWFA is running a great price on the Docter.

I have an ACOG TA11 on my AR - soon to be SBR. I like the optic a lot but have considered (recently) replacing with a leupold MK4 1.5-5X. Want a little more magnification than the 3.5x on the ACOG. I really like the looks of the CMR2 reticle on the leupold.

here's my 10.5 with a aimpoint compML2

DSC_0019.jpg

Gotta vote for the aimpoint T1. Sounds like they announced a 2 moa version today which would be perfect!

+1 on the T1, battery life is forever and they're bomb proof

The T-1 is just unbeatable in terms of it's use on a SBR designed for cqb/hd/pd/duty type work in my book. The next to nothing weight and overall profile makes it really go well with SBR ARs. My favorite characteristic of it for my use(HD/PD) is the uber durability and reliability of it.

I like the fact that I turn T-1s on when I get a new one, wait a few years, and then see about maybe changing the battery:)

Here is my 10.5" setup w/ T-1

DSC03276-1.jpg

Since you said you are looking for a fast sight picture, I think the Aimpoint is a excellent choice. I run a ML3 on my 14.5 inch carbine. It has never failed me. It is very fast & simple. It is very reliable & has wonderful battery life. If I was purchasing a new optic I would take the advise of looking at the newer lightweight aimpoints. I had the opportunity to shoot a T1 on a full auto suppressed 10.5 inch rifle. Very nice set up.

If your looking for magnification without the hassle of a separate mount, magnifier, may I suggest the Elcan Specter DR. It is short and fairly light weight. The big bonus is a near instant change between the capability of a red dot and a magnified optic. It seems to fit your bill if you have the bills. If not the Aimpoint T1 seems the way to go on SBRs IMO.

Thanks Patrick, nice to hear kind words from a fellow Alabamian:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: takashi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotta vote for the aimpoint T1. Sounds like they announced a 2 moa version today which would be perfect! </div></div>

that would be perfect

I love both Eotech's, Aimpoint CompM2, and Micro t-1's. It would be hard to go wrong with any of these, it just comes down to personal preference.

This afternoonci was able to look at some of the Aimpoints in person.

My fav was the T1 due to it's size and simplicity. My only gripe was that the dot never appeared very crisp. I do wear glasses (and had them on) so that may be the problem.

Lately, I have started considering a 1-4 Nightforce with the FC2. Would this be overkill on my 10.5? Any other pros/cons ?

Thanks again for the help!

The baby nxs is a fantastic little optic, however the reticle's illumination isn't true daylight visible..,i.e. won't work like a aimpoint in 1x during sunny conditions.

In terms of speed on target, the T-1 is incredibly hard to beat in my experience.

FWIW, I occasionally use my NXSc 2.5-10x24 on my 10.5" for LR shooting.
    grin.gif

DSC01966-2.jpg

My pleasure brother...if your looking for a 1-4x that will allow you to run it in 1x like an aimpoint the SB shortdot 1-4x, and the Trijicon accupoint TR24 1-4x are some options to consider.

It's worth noting that the T-1s dot doesn't really appear that crisp to my naked eye as well...as I have a small astigmatism.

You can offset this effect a bit by dimming the red dot's brightness.

On my SBR I run a Mini ACOG, the TA26. I have the Circle Dot reticle that is very close to the EoTech. Reason that I went with th Mini ACOG is that I love the circle dot reticle and love not having to use batteries. I have rang steel at 200 with controlled pairs off hand. Its a quick optic to use and always on.

My preferance is a T1 micro on my SCAR CQC (10".) The decision was made due to weight, size, battery life, not having to turn it on or off, and overall ruggedness.

If I were going to try a variable, I would go with an Elcan Spectre 1x/4x.

Here is a pic of my rig:

2012-01-19090459.jpg

Another vote for the T-1 micro. I just can't break the damn thing.
    That's why I've got two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My preferance is a T1 micro on my SCAR CQC (10".) The decision was made due to weight, size, battery life, not having to turn it on or off, and overall ruggedness.

Here is a pic of my rig:

2012-01-19090459.jpg
    </div></div>

Nice! Agree with the T1. I use one on a 10.5 AR SBR.

Actually, thinking further, I'll probably get a 3x magnifier on a flip-to-side QD mount, and keep the T1, rather than get an Elcan Spectre.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The baby nxs is a fantastic little optic, however the reticle's illumination isn't true daylight visible..,i.e. won't work like a aimpoint in 1x during sunny conditions.

In terms of speed on target, the T-1 is incredibly hard to beat in my experience.

FWIW, I occasionally use my NXSc 2.5-10x24 on my 10.5" for LR shooting.
    grin.gif

DSC01966-2.jpg

</div></div>

Good night, you really need to go out and get that thing dirty. I have never seen an AR that clean. It looks like it gets polished way more than it gets shot.

Trident, based on this photo I just pulled off your flicker page I really think you need to do a little learning about how to properly use a gun vs polishing and posting pics of them.

Anyone else see something wrong here?

4541428452_2b1192163e.jpg

Deleting all your photos off flicker huh? Don't worry I made a copy of it.
    wink.gif

Patrick:

Without knowing what type of task(s) you intend for by SBR, it's a little difficult to recommend an optic. That being said I run an Aimpoint T-1 on my Noveske 10.5 CQB. I use it for entry work as well as perimeter on our team. If you don't need an optic that is night-vision compatible, you may wish to consider the Aimpoint H-1. The Aimpoint Comp M4s is also rock solid and dependable, but just a little heavy.

I originally had an EoTech 552. I had no problems with it, but compared to the Aimpoint the battery life is very short. I won't comment on some of the other optics mentioned here as I have no experience with them and would be out of my lane and driving on the sidewalk.

The Aimpoint T-1 sitting on a LaRue mount with lower 1/3 cowitness has worked for me the past three years. YMMV.

Hope this helps. Find out what is working for others with a mission similar to yours and drive on!

Good luck to you.

Joe

I had a EOtech with a filp 3x mag and just didnt like it all. with mag or without just didnt do it for me. I swapped for a Trijicon Tripower. Freakn love it. Has a fiber optic ring on top and also tritium and a battery backup. I almost never need the battery. Thats a big thing for me. If SHTF and could never get batteries its ok cuz I dont need it to make my red dot work.

6833230487_7a66071769.jpg

6833232739_b6e39b8f54.jpg

sorry about bad cell phone pics... the dot is a Delta and is brighter than it shows.

Big thanks John. I was actually looking very hard at the Tripower today. Seems like maybe best of both worlds. I'm also looking at the new SRS. It looks like the street price is about ~$800. Thats a bit more that I was looking to spend but I have waited forever for the lower and the can to be approved so I'm not skimping out now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My preferance is a T1 micro on my SCAR CQC (10".) The decision was made due to weight, size, battery life, not having to turn it on or off, and overall ruggedness.

Here is a pic of my rig:

2012-01-19090459.jpg
    </div></div>

BM -

You are aware that Surefire says not to use the Mini on anything shorter then 14.5" right? I hope you are wearing some plugs....

I am running a Aimpoint T-1 Micro with a LT-660 on my DD 10.3 sbr. I love it. I was originally running a Aimppoint Comp M3 with a LT-129 mount, but I going to use that optic on another build. You cant go wrong with a T-1. With a sbr lighter is better.