• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors SBR QUESTION

HOOFER

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2007
lewistown, MT, Colorado
hey all

got a quick question, im looking into buyin a 10 or 14 inch upper for my m4, now i know that i can buy it now, but when its attached to the rifle it needs to be registered as an sbr, that is the same process as a can except that its a form 3 correct, can someone help explain the process to me

thank you

Re: SBR QUESTION

No, a Form 3 is what NFA dealers use to transfer items among themselves. You use a Form 1 to register your lower as an SBR. Other than that, yes, it's the same process as a can. Fill the form, get CLEO sign-off, passport photos and fingerprint cards, send it all in duplicate with a $200 check to BATFE and wait 3 months.

You can buy the upper now assuming you don't have any other lowers; otherwise it's considered a no no. If you have a lower now, you can still buy the SBR upper and keep it say at your frineds house etc. You have to complete a Form 1 and other forms depending on what route you take. Corporate, Trusts is far easier than asking a CLEO for a signature + you have to get fingerprinted, pics etc. Form 4 if you're buying a registered lower from a mfg. Form 3 is what dealers use to transfer NFA items to another dealer. Hope that helps.

Ls,

You can have a company/Class 2 SOT engrave the lower and register it on a Form 3 as an SBR and then have a Class 3 SOT transfer it to you on a Form 4 or have it engraved and register it on a Form 1 yourself.